Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
FYI, any new employers won't give a poo poo about that dude's opinion, just leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How would he even know where you were going to work, anyway?

"May we contact your last employer"
"No."

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
This guy doesn't sound like someone who can even hold it together while giving a bad reference, so it might be worth it to let your new job prospects know in advance what he's going to say and let him foam and make himself look like the batshit crazy you've already painted him to be.

I'd let him do this a few times, then bring up a lawsuit with my state's labor bureau to drive the nail deeper, but I can be a spiteful gently caress with irredeemable people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Get your meds fixed and get your Aussie rear end out of there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that if you didn't show up, he's going to leave you a batshit crazy email which would be perfectly good enough proof to anyone involved that it was an abusive environment.

You also seem like you would have a pretty good case for short term disability benefits if you can't get unemployment. I think I would start out with sick days, seek professional help during that time, and then get on short term disability for depression issues stemming from work load. While you are sorting that out, get a new job and never look back.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Vulture Culture posted:

This guy doesn't sound like someone who can even hold it together while giving a bad reference, so it might be worth it to let your new job prospects know in advance what he's going to say and let him foam and make himself look like the batshit crazy you've already painted him to be.

I'd let him do this a few times, then bring up a lawsuit with my state's labor bureau to drive the nail deeper, but I can be a spiteful gently caress with irredeemable people.

Yeah I can't possibly see how this guy would be able to give a bad reference in a professional manner that would be taken seriously by any prospective employer, assuming the guy somehow got contacted in the first place.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Good lord. I almost can't believe all of that is true. Talk about Stockholm Syndrom. Echoing everyone else, don't give notice just get out and find a new job. With the experience that you've mentioned you'll have no problem finding another job.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I went from literally hand picking garbage to full domain admin over the weekend.
I already hate Lotus notes 7.

Also pick up your stuff up tomorrow morning and then leave and don't go back.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

First of all, thank you for sharing. I hope that you are able to take some of the advice coming your way. You want to quit; why even go in tomorrow? The worst that can happen is the dude fires you, and then you're exactly where you want to be. Goodvibes man, you'll land on your feet!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Methanar posted:

I went from literally hand picking garbage to full domain admin over the weekend.

Lotus Notes 7?

You're joking, right?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Sometimes work makes me tired, such is life.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 15, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

insidius posted:

My coworker who managed to escape makes the argument that I suffer from two things. "Boiling Frog" syndrome, where it just took me in so gradually that I was unable to see how bad it truly was, despite the multitude of people who did their best to help me to come to this realisation. Ironically it seemed that the worse it got, the harder I worked, the more hours I did, the more I allowed it to consume me. At its peak when I could no longer see myself having the the intelligence required to end this, it seemed the only logical conclusion. Keep myself too busy to even think about how busy I was and hopefully I would just eventually stroke out at some point and that would be that.

His second more pressing point seems to be a continual need to point out that I am far, far better than I would care to acknowledge at what I do. His belief seems to be that nobody can possibly know everything about multiple hypervisors, Linux, Networking, Security, Storage, Puppet, python etc and so on that my failure to be know 100% of these things to every last detail is not a failure, but is normal. Everybody needs to refer to the documentation, man pages, notes they may have taken at some point or another, or at least this is his assurance. Its rather hard for me to know because largely at both this job and my previous job, I have had to largely bring up my own skills. I have had not the ability to measure my capacity against others, I have simply had to do the best I could at any given time. He pointed out that I have never failed to deliver or resolve a problem in any of these areas despite my protests that I am incompetent and have no idea what I am doing.
We've talked about impostor syndrome earlier in this thread. What you're describing is common enough and well-known enough in our industry that it has its own name and most of us know what it means.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

insidius posted:

Have to fight the urge to tell this guy to loving blow me.

You don't need to fight it. :getin:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

Also pick up your stuff up tomorrow morning and then leave and don't go back.

That Linux server with a China login is a hobby server, right?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Dick Trauma posted:

You don't need to fight it. :getin:

You are correct.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 15, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Lotus Notes 7?

You're joking, right?

Nope.

I made 3 new accounts today for it and it was awful. It can't even route mail across the internet; LAN only. My raspberrypi email server is more capable than that, easier to use too.

For some reason this place has zero vlans and two subnets, but has 3 huge rear end l3 switches from the early 2000s for all their networking.

e; Yeah, that was my raspberrypi.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

insidius posted:

I have already given my notice, I have a reference from the previous CEO and CTO so I am covered on that front as well. I also have over four months of accrued annual leave so if I lose the two weeks of pay by choosing
to leave within my notice period it would not be too terrible. Two weeks is hardly likely to make a difference and I already have Job offers were I to need to return to work earlier than I had planned.

Do not saying anything rude or tell this guy off. Be professional and just walk out. Don't give him any ammo.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

to full domain admin
Is this common? I think we have 4 domain admins in my 800 person company, and it's probably too many at that number.

edit: holy hell, it's five humans plus two service accounts.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

adorai posted:

Is this common? I think we have 4 domain admins in my 800 person company, and it's probably too many at that number.

edit: holy hell, it's five humans plus two service accounts.

Technically it is best for all domain admin accounts to be service accounts in a sense. I have always made domain admin accounts different from the regular user account for all the admins. That way virus infections and other exploits don't instantly grant access to everything. Maybe that is wrong though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you're really worried about him screwing with your career, you can probably get help from a lawyer. Contact your state bar for a referral.

If he is crossing the line into slander, a lawyer will help you.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Technically it is best for all domain admin accounts to be service accounts in a sense. I have always made domain admin accounts different from the regular user account for all the admins. That way virus infections and other exploits don't instantly grant access to everything. Maybe that is wrong though.
No, that's definitely right. Currently we all have two accounts, a normal account that has helpdesk style rights and if a senior admin, a domain admin account. We're even going a step further, and our normal accounts aren't even going to have helpdesk rights in a few weeks. Basically, we're going to be inundated with accounts.

1) normal account for email and web access
2) workstation admin account for helpdesk type tasks. Never logs into any server.
3) a server admin account, never logs into a domain controller or into a workstation that a workstation admin account could log into
4) a domain admin account, never logs into anything other than a domain controller

We've read too much on Pass the Hash attacks and are now paranoid.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

How you got into this really doesn't matter, only getting out does. You'll very quickly start to feel better once you realise you never have to see him ever again.

There is nothing stupid about you, this situation happens to a lot of people, you want to be nice and helpful, and a psychopath took advantage of you.

Once you're out, it'll feel so much better.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kyth posted:

Microsoft stopped doing it.

Publicy, it's gone but their new review system is rather eerily familiar and the culture said to exist.

Vulture Culture posted:

It's interesting to note that while the Amazon mothership still extensively uses stack ranking, Zappos just switched to Holacracy, a system of self-organization with no managers.

Is this kind of like Valve? On another note how the hell does Zappo's even exist?

If anything, I find Google's review system the best by far as it strongly enforces the "Don't be an rear end in a top hat" rule.

Insidius posted:

"I will loving destroy your career. Ill black ball you, ill prevent you from ever working another job in this industry for so long as you live."
"Ill send legal letters to anyone you try and work for, ill call everyone I know and poo poo on you in references, ill tell people you were responsible for everything that
has occurred here. You WILL NOT gently caress ME LIKE THIS, YOU WILL NOT gently caress ME. HOW DARE YOU, YOU WILL STAY FOR SIX OR EVEN TWELVE MONTHS,
YOU WILL SHUT YOUR MOUTH, YOU WILL TRAIN MY STAFF AND YOU WILL ENSURE THIS PLACE CAN DO WITHOUT YOU AT THAT TIME".

The above is not exact, however its difficult to recount a fifteen minute rant filled largely with threats and profanity after the fact to be fair, I was fairly shocked at what I was hearing.

To be honest as shameful as this is to admit, I was terrified. I calmed the situation by saying that I would...reconsider my position. This seemed to calm him and he offered at this point "If you do the right thing I will write you a good reference and help you get a job when you leave, help me help you. We can sit down and go through job ads together when the time comes, ill go out of my way to help you.".

I at this point reach out to previous senior management to see if this is an idle threat I should ignore or one to take seriously.

"He is a hateful person and if he has said this he means it. He has the money, the time and mental problems to make good on his threats. Your best decision would be to stay on for the twelve months as he has requested and try to exit quietly at the end. Its not worth the trouble"

Nobody is that powerful.

I've seen people leave customers in outages and yet they're still employed by someone else. Granted, it can be a small world but no matter what anyone tells you IT is a gigantic industry and unless you're making an outage the size of the one that happened to San Francisco you'll find a job. Granted, it might not be the ideal dream job you want but it's nothing worth losing sleep over.

Last but not least your anxiety level is at 11 out of 10. Seek medical attention. When applying for other gigs don't drag your previous employer/supervisor through the muck just say you're looking for a position with more growth opportunities.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 12, 2015

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

insidius, I don't know the law in your area, but if I was in your shoes, I would find out whether I can legally record my boss or not. If you can, start. You might benefit from having a record of that behavior some day.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Is this kind of like Valve? On another note how the hell does Zappo's even exist?
Valve is run as a flat organization, which is somewhat different from Holacracy. Holacracy still has formal roles (differentiated from the people filling them) and some formal governance, though it accomplishes this without full-time manager positions.

You mean, how has it managed to continue existing as its own organization when Amazon is perfectly well-equipped to sell shoes through amazon.com? Because they have the common sense not to ruin a good thing that's working for them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tab8715 posted:

Zappos just announced that anyone who wants to leave because of the new management style can leave with a serverance package. http://www.cnbc.com/id/102667440

14% of the company has left so far. So who knows how long Zappos will be allowed to exist before Amazon says "fuckit" and fully absorbs it?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

insidius posted:

Outside of that, I must thank you all. It is very rare for me to ever discuss my work in this manner, to anyone. Not to my girlfriend and not even really with my friends. This felt like my burden to carry, not something to place on the shoulders of others who had no part in it.

I'm going to repeat my advice to you to seek professional therapy. Feeling like you should deal with your own problems is normal, but you just typed up a page of text talking about your impostor syndrome (that's what they call it when you think you aren't good enough to be doing a thing even though you're doing it and have been doing it and getting paid for it). You clearly have no perspective or self-confidence, and that's because you've been emotionally abused and manipulated by a sociopath for years.

You don't walk off a broken arm, you go see a goddamn doctor. You shouldn't expect yourself to just get over the mental damage you have, either. Talk to someone whose job it is to help people like you heal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Seriously there is no need to ever speak to him again. Get your stuff and out the door. If he wants to talk later he can speak with your attorney.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Just moonwalk out of there with your shades on while your boss screams impotently into the black nothingness

You'll get another job with salary actually commensurate to your skills and you'll also be a full inch taller

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Oh, look, the doctor said you'll be out until your quit date on the Aussie version of FMLA. Tell your doctor where the stress is coming from, you'll have a note and possibly a referral to a good employment lawyer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Repeat: Finding and effectively using documentation is a strong and rare skill.
Nobody knows everything all the time. Everybody in a knowledge job needs to look things up all the time.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

meanieface posted:

Oh, look, the doctor said you'll be out until your quit date on the Aussie version of FMLA. Tell your doctor where the stress is coming from, you'll have a note and possibly a referral to a good employment lawyer.

I missed the bit where Insidius was Australian.

This is real simple. go to the doc and tell him what you told us. he will refer you to a psycologist. Workcover (or whatever it is called in your state) pay's for the lot, if not medicare will. the outcome of the workcover investigation will inform your next steps.

If you get any grief or agro of any sort your next call is to the industrial relations tribunal.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KennyTheFish posted:

I missed the bit where Insidius was Australian.

Holy poo poo dude, you work in a country where employees have Real Rights (TM)? I thought you were another downtrodden Amurrican in a right to get fired state. You have even more reason to just quietly ignore anything and everything this psycho says to you, serve your given notice, and walk out without so much as documenting anything. And as Che says, look into getting some help and counselling - you've gone through a traumatic event, or rather a traumatic nine years, and you need to talk to someone who can guide you through getting over that trauma and moving on in a healthy way.

I have luckily never had to deal with assholes like this, and although of course I imagine I wouldn't stand for it, I think the boiling frog syndrome does play a part and any one of us could fall victim over time (and there's something to be said for human submission to perceived authority, similar to what the Milgram and Stanford Prison Experiments found).

And yeah, no one can remember everything all the time and you should never think that you are bad at your job for having to look something specific up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

insidius posted:

Outside of that, I must thank you all. It is very rare for me to ever discuss my work in this manner, to anyone. Not to my girlfriend and not even really with my friends. This felt like my burden to carry, not something to place on the shoulders of others who had no part in it.

This is one of the reasons your anxiety level is so high. Bottling up your feelings and stress is never a good thing to do, it will just eat you up, which I think you're now coming to realise. Sharing feelings with people who care about you isn't burdening them. Talk with your girlfriend, your family, or find a therapist you can begin to see regularly. Venting on SA is something we all do but it should not be used as a substitution for professional help.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

insidius posted:

sad story

Mirroring what everyone has said. Plus the fact that you should not ever call him a gentleman ever again. He's clearly a madman and a sociopath.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Potato Alley posted:

Holy poo poo dude, you work in a country where employees have Real Rights (TM)? I thought you were another downtrodden Amurrican in a right to get fired state..

TBH, it cuts both ways. While your employer in the States can fire you at any time, you can also walk out of the door at any time without notice and they can't do anything about it. Employers oftentimes attempt to prevent this with noncompete clauses, but those are rarely if ever upheld unless the person is a senior-level manager, and even then if you're at that level you probably have severance lined up.

The fact of the matter is that most people become conditioned to think they have no option. That's far from the case, especially in IT where demand for labor is insanely high.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I think I should reevaluate my career choices: signed in for a new company, now all they dump on me are maintenance projects from early aughties. What I'm learning is not to cry whenever I open a new project and find 10 separate projects sharing the same class implementation, i.e. copy pasted all around

For insidious, tell your colleague to eff off, backup the emails, and just resign somewhat quietly, or with the help of a boombox

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 12, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

I am taking a short break before going in, just to try and relax a bit. Have to fight the urge to tell this guy to loving blow me.

I consider myself a pretty hold-back-the-anger professional guy in terms of workplaces, and I say this after calmly analyzing the pros/cons: don't fight the urge.

Just bail.

Worry about HR later.

If you're in or near Brisbane just walk around the CBD for the day. Feed some ibis. Get a quick cheap lunch at Satay Club Noodle House, poo poo's amazing.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I should make better life decisions.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

insidius posted:

I am stuck in a well.