Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

This is ~$400, though unless you like lots of bass, the sub is probably optional. I don't run one with those speakers and they go deeper than you'd expect for the size of the driver. I'd start without it and then see if you need it. If your current sub has line-level inputs, you could also just keep using it and not attach the satellites. The lepai inputs are in parallel, so you can just attach the sub to the one you're not using as an input.

DAC: http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Amp: http://www.amazon.com/Lepai-LP-2020A-Tripath-Class-T-Amplifier/dp/B0049P6OTI/
Speakers: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/
Sub: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK2-Designed-100-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008NCD2PC/

One last question. Is there an advantage to the Modi 2 over the Modi? The Modi is $30 cheaper. The only difference I can see is that Modi 2 support 24/192 sampling rates whereas I think Modi 1 only does 24/96. I don't even know what that means, but if I should just get the 2 then I will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There probably should be a thread for cool stuff like that. If it hits €200 and they aren't white van garbage (which they don't look like), they'd be a good pickup for someone. The paintwork on them doesn't work for me either though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

There probably should be a thread for cool stuff like that. If it hits €200 and they aren't white van garbage (which they don't look like), they'd be a good pickup for someone. The paintwork on them doesn't work for me either though.

Probably the craigslist thread nobody posts in.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Caddrel posted:

One last question. Is there an advantage to the Modi 2 over the Modi? The Modi is $30 cheaper. The only difference I can see is that Modi 2 support 24/192 sampling rates whereas I think Modi 1 only does 24/96. I don't even know what that means, but if I should just get the 2 then I will.

I didn't see that you could still get the original on closeout, yeah just do that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AudioQuest has a new solution to USB ghosts that can haunt your cables and interfere with your bits

quote:

it is expanding the range with the creation of the AudioQuest Jitterbug - an advanced USB line and data conditioner
The Jitterbug is designed to remove "unwanted noise and parasitic resonances that plague USB ports, while reducing or completely eliminating packet errors within the data stream", the company claims. It slots between the USB port on your computer and the DragonFly DAC/headphone amp. You can see what's inside the Jitterbug in our photo of the pre-production prototype below

I know this is pretty par for the course but how can it claim to "eliminate errors" in a bitstream with arbitrary values :psyduck:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Looks to be only passive components, so it won't be replacing any values.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

taqueso posted:

Looks to be only passive components, so it won't be replacing any values.

Well yeah, my question is how is this not just blatantly false advertising compared to the usual audiophile hand-waving. Like the thing can't actually eliminate any errors and honestly it's probably more likely to introduce them.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

qirex posted:

Well yeah, my question is how is this not just blatantly false advertising compared to the usual audiophile hand-waving. Like the thing can't actually eliminate any errors and honestly it's probably more likely to introduce them.

It doesn't say it fixes errors. Maybe it just stops them from happening! :downs:

Yeah, "reduces errors" definitely sounds like a guarantee that can have a false advertising claim brought against it (Not a lawyer).

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You would need a monstrously bad USB cable to get "packet errors within the data stream" in the first place. But that is a pretty specific claim that could be tested.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Willing to bet it's some sort of mains-frequency-specific filter and if called out on it they can probably point to an oscilloscope showing it reduces the noise on the line. Still pointless but probably *just* this side of legal as far as claims go.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I'm just shocked that the circuit board is green and not pure white or darkest black.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

taqueso posted:

I'm just shocked that the circuit board is green and not pure white or darkest black.

Pre-production prototype. I'm sure they'll get anodized USB connectors or whatever the gently caress people think makes something look high quality when they go into production.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

taqueso posted:

You wont see it when its inside a garden hose and sleeving

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

You wont see it when its inside a garden hose and sleeving

But the electrons will know :ohdear:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

quote:

parasitic resonances

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

qirex posted:

You think audiophiles and the people who sell poo poo to them care about blatant false advertising? This is an industry in which you can literally sell magic rocks.

And rebrand generic goods with inordinate markups by spouting complete nonsense in your advertising materials.

God I wish I didn't have a sense of ethics.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Anyone here use Audioengine speakers?

How would you connect these components:

DAC
A5+ speakers
Subwoofer

Would have to be something like this (using splitters)?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The A5+s have a volume-controlled set of outputs specifically meant for hooking up a subwoofer.

All you gotta do then is set the volume and crossover frequency (probably around 50-60hz) on the subwoofer and then control the volume from the speakers (or your source).

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
I already had it that way, it's my recently acquired DAC that's throwing me off.

I can connect the DAC easily to the speakers, but not sure how to also connect it to the subwoofer as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

But why do you want to hook it up differently, just because you have a new DAC?

Fidelity-wise, there is no reason why you wouldn't just use the output connectors on the speakers. It allows you to control the speaker and sub volume together, and it saves you from having to use splitter cables.

E: All of the three options you posted will work exactly the same, there is no electrical difference at all. But it be less optimal when actually using the setup, compared to using the outputs from the speakers.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 9, 2015

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Maybe we're misunderstanding each other? I have these things I'm trying to connect together:

PC
A dac
headphones
A5+ speakers
Audioengine s8 subwoofer

I've already been using the A5+ speakers for a few years, and last month acquired the sub-woofer. This week I got the dac and headphones.

It's easy to connect the speakers to the DAC and the dac to the PC (and the headphones to the DAC), or the speakers into the subwoofer and the subwoofer to the PC (no DAC in this scenario). I was just having a hard time figuring out how you could connect them all these things together.

Is this the solution?

(the middle figure on the top is the DAC)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You're completely overcomplicating this.

Connect the PC to the DAC.
Connect the DAC to the input terminals on the active speaker.
Connect the output terminals on the active speaker to the input terminals on the subwoofer.

Then you set the crossover/lowpass on the sub so it integrates nicely with the speakers' natural bass dropoff and set the volume on the sub so it matches the speakers. From that point on, you only adjust the volume on the speakers or the PC, not on the sub.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2015

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Thanks buddy. It works now.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Glad to hear it :)

Now spin some tunes on your sweet setup!

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Nah, I'm overcomplicating it:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

Nah, I'm overcomplicating it:

I hope there's some kind of explanation for that :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
64bit FP? Really?

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
It's J River Media Center, an audiophile grade music player.

Here's what Computer Audiophile had to say.

quote:

"In January 2010 at CES I listened to a demo using JRMC 14 and was really pleased with the sound. JRMC was running on a Mac laptop with Boot Camp and Windows 7. I compared the sound to the OS X / iTunes partition on the same laptop and was surprised at how much better I like JRMC in that system. I was finally convinced I needed to take JRMC much more seriously. Shortly after arriving home from Las Vegas I arranged a meeting with the people at JRiver and started using the application exclusively."

I use it because it's filtering and routing is really powerful. If you follow the filter chain in the screenshot you can see everything is plugged into my sound card incorrectly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

So...

You have the left and right speakers swapped, and your subwoofer hooked up to the center channel? Why?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Oh my...this thread is going places. :suspense:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

So...

You have the left and right speakers swapped, and your subwoofer hooked up to the center channel? Why?

That's just how everything got plugged into my soundcard. I noticed the music was coming out back to front and fixed it up in software because I couldn't be bothered pulling everything out to reconnect things properly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

That's just how everything got plugged into my soundcard. I noticed the music was coming out back to front and fixed it up in software because I couldn't be bothered pulling everything out to reconnect things properly.

Like a true goon :patriot:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

64bit FP? Really?

quote:

All audio handling inside the program is done with 64 bits of precision. Most high-end hardware uses 24-bit output, meaning the engine has an additional 240 dB of precision above the hardware's output. As a result, should you choose to use them, digital volume, room correction, and other audio functions are pristine.

:smuggo:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Well, sounds like it's integer math, if it's "only" 240dB headroom. Why would you go with ints instead of double precision floats?!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Quoted from the computer build megathread

Woolie Wool posted:

I was going to post an argument, but you know what, I'm not even going to bother engaging with someone who insists that an absolute bargain basement integrated unit similar to the very cheapest thing Schiit makes (the Fulla, which is just like the E10k and priced at $79) with a cheap 3.5mm jack is somehow better than a dedicated DAC three rungs up the food chain with RCA outputs. I shouldn't have even mentioned what sound hardware I was using because goons get all crazy about anything above the absolute cheapest poo poo available with anything that's not reducible to pure numbers of gigabytes, gigahertz, and gigaflops.

$3 interconnects are good enough I read something about James Randi and cables third hand once checkmate audiophools :smug:

why would you want a tube amp solid state is better here look at this line graph :smug:

I honestly can't tell if this guy is being serious.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

grack posted:

He's half right. Audiophiles are bad but goons are bad too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grack posted:

Reading his previous posts, I'd say he's definitely an idiot who thinks expensive = better.

Goons may be bad sometimes, but none of the arguments made against his expensive DAC are particularly goony.

Then again, I paid more than that for my ODAC+O2.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

Reading his previous posts, I'd say he's definitely an idiot who thinks expensive = better.

Goons may be bad sometimes, but none of the arguments made against his expensive DAC are particularly goony.

Then again, I paid more than that for my ODAC+O2.

I think paying for style is ok.
I dont really mind people spending all that money on Beats since how they sound is of secondary importance to them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fauxtool posted:

I think paying for style is ok.
I dont really mind people spending all that money on Beats since how they sound is of secondary importance to them.

But he's not paying for style. His main argument against the cheaper, but equally good DAC is that it's got a built-in headphone amp and 3.5mm jacks instead of RCAs, both of which he claims will lessen the sound quality. He doesn't explain why he thinks that would happen.

He also wishes he could afford a more expensive DAC, again probably based on a mistaken belief that expensive=better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KozmoNaut posted:

But he's not paying for style. His main argument against the cheaper, but equally good DAC is that it's got a built-in headphone amp and 3.5mm jacks instead of RCAs, both of which he claims will lessen the sound quality. He doesn't explain why he thinks that would happen.

He also wishes he could afford a more expensive DAC, again probably based on a mistaken belief that expensive=better.

im supporting your purchase of that stupid, pretty ODAC+O2, not arguing against your statement