Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

snaeksikn posted:

perth was also really fuckin rad if you had a job during the mining boom. its gonna be funny when all these new high rise office and apartment projects finish and theres nobody able to buy them though

This not a problem confined to the sunny cultural hub of perth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Gough Suppressant posted:

Told my partner about Carltons maritime tragedy and she asked the most pertinent question of all: "Why does Carlton have a hovercraft?"

Because our mascot isn't an animal so they had to make him do something more than handstands and somersaults. They bought him a hovercraft.

Then it went away since we stopped playing at Princes Park.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

The Freo Fuckwit had a hovercraft too, not sure if they even use him anymore.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

drunkill posted:

Because our mascot isn't an animal so they had to make him do something more than handstands and somersaults. They bought him a hovercraft.

Then it went away since we stopped playing at Princes Park.

Wasn't the Carlton mascot the one who actually did a backflip or something and landed on his own cape which basically choke/dragged him straight to the ground?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I don't think he ever had a cape.

"My hovercraft is full of eels"

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

drunkill posted:

I don't think he ever had a cape.

I thought it was a reason why he got rid of the cape? Probably remembering it wrong but I remember some mascot as a superhero type did this.

Freo's isn't a docker dude any more is he, its now an anchor with an eye or something. I used to think the idea of mascots was pretty outdated but I remember before the final against Norf last year there were swarms of kids who were getting around Skeeta. Skeeta is a bastard though because he scared the gently caress out of me at that match as I was lost in my own world texting my cousin to see where he was at before the game and got a massive hug from Skeeta totally unawares.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

If Skeeta is the one eyed anchor thing he looks like he fell out of a particularly bad lovecraft story and he should terrify everyone

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
We still do have mascots, Johnny Docker (who was loosely based on Clive Waterhouse) now has a companion Jenny Docker:

(Ignore the gnome in the middle)

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

If Skeeta is the one eyed anchor thing he looks like he fell out of a particularly bad lovecraft story and he should terrify everyone

Nah Skeeta is the Bombers mascot, a mosquito with WW2 style bomber costume. I couldn't remember why it was a mosquito so google tells me it was named after the Essendon mid field of 50s and 60s known as the mosquito fleet. Full name Moz Skeeta Reynolds. Although it seems the urban dictionary predictably offers some other definitions of the word.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

thepokey posted:

Nah Skeeta is the Bombers mascot, a mosquito with WW2 style bomber costume. I couldn't remember why it was a mosquito so google tells me it was named after the Essendon mid field of 50s and 60s known as the mosquito fleet. Full name Moz Skeeta Reynolds. Although it seems the urban dictionary predictably offers some other definitions of the word.

de Havilland Mosquito Bomber makes more sense to me, even though your current logo is clearly a Rockwell B-1B Lancer

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah, essendon was a military airfield, mosquitos were built down in fishermans bend at the airfield and aircraft factories too.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Johnny Docker definitely does nangs

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Spedman posted:

We still do have mascots, Johnny Docker (who was loosely based on Clive Waterhouse) now has a companion Jenny Docker:

(Ignore the gnome in the middle)

Thanks for the upcoming nightmare

E: I wish I was an AFL star. Then I too could get in a traffic bollard armed all in brawl over a taxi at early o'clock and walk away with no conviction because of feeling really remorseful about being caught on video type reasons.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 11, 2015

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

de Havilland Mosquito Bomber makes more sense to me, even though your current logo is clearly a Rockwell B-1B Lancer

Yeah I always thought it was based on the name of an actual aircraft, I actually googled it more so to clarify what type when that came up instead.

Speaking of mascots, when trying to find the Carlton guy backflipping onto his cape (which I'm now positive I got wrong and was some other mascot) I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjFpIHMNY3Y

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has announced it will appeal the AFL anti-doping tribunal's not guilty verdict regarding 34 past and present Essendon players.

In March, the AFL tribal found the Essendon players not guilty of using banned substance thymosin beta-4, a decision which ASADA opted not to appeal.

But WADA has now opted to take up its right of appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The decision was confirmed in a statement from WADA director general David Howman on Tuesday morning (AEST).

"We have now completed our independent review of the full case file on the AFL Anti-Doping Appeals Tribunal decision regarding 34 current and former Essendon players," the statement read.

"After a thorough examination of the evidence contained within the file, WADA has decided to lodge its independent right of appeal to the decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"As with all pending cases, and adhering to the proper and normal respect for the integrity of the legal process, WADA will refrain from commenting further on the subject until a decision has been made by CAS."

In April, ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt said he would support any WADA appeal in the knowledge only they could bring the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

"I am conscious that ASADA does not have a direct right of appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport and the only appeal avenue open to ASADA at this time is to the AFL anti-doping appeals tribunal," McDevitt said.

"I am also aware that appealing any of these decisions within the AFL framework would ultimately serve only to delay consideration of these matters by WADA.

"I have therefore arranged to provide the entire case file encompassing all 35 matters to WADA for its independent review.

"ASADA will support any WADA initiated appeal in relation to these matters."

Here we go again

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Yay!

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Finally

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Funny the response from a lot of non Essendon fans already seems to be negative and are sick of it and just want it over, I agree, I was just getting to a point of remembering what it was like caring for footy again for the stuff that happened on the field. Really loving over this, over the process taking so long, over the club for bringing this on themselves, over the redundant stupid rear end views of people about it and feel so sorry for the players who must feel sick to their stomach waking up this morning to this. If I'm this over it surely there's some there who feel like giving the game away.

On the plus side, maybe we'll start winning matches again?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Can WADA give the bans out to the Essendon bigfooty board instead of the players? I'm sure that's a solution we can all get behind

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm so glad that the Australians paywall means I have never read a Patrick Smith article.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

I'm so glad that the Australians paywall means I have never read a Patrick Smith article.
If you use twitter or facebook to open articles from the Australian you don't need to worry about the paywall. It's great, I get to read Sharri Markson all the time for free

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

I don't know who any of these people are. Thank Mr paywall

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Shmoses posted:

If you use twitter or facebook to open articles from the Australian you don't need to worry about the paywall. It's great, I get to read Sharri Markson all the time for free

Self harm is a serious issue, you should seek help

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Here we go again

ASADA-rama 2: Electric Boogaloo.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
burn essendon to the ground again

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

snaeksikn posted:

burn essendon to the ground again

Can't we just launch Hird into the sun as an offering of tribute to just settle things? We can launch him from the True Value Solar Centre into the true solar centre.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The guy who owns big footy will be happy, it should breath a bit of life into that click bait drug sub-forum.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

thepokey posted:

Can't we just launch Hird into the sun as an offering of tribute to just settle things? We can launch him from the True Value Solar Centre into the true solar centre.

Noice

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

The guy who owns big footy will be happy, it should breath a bit of life into that click bait drug sub-forum.

I haven't been on that forum since last year. I guess it is still garbage?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Also someone needs to tell JiHird the subtle difference between "not guilty" and "not proven".

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
My interest in this season was already beginning to wain given how poorly Richmond is performing.
If it's going to be another 12 months of this I might just pack it in and watch more baseball instead.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pkid posted:

My interest in this season was already beginning to wain given how poorly Richmond is performing.
If it's going to be another 12 months of this I might just pack it in and watch more baseball instead.
Barrack for the English cricket side during the upcoming Ashes :v:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

pkid posted:

This season is interesting at the moment (it's not sustainable) if you can put your club aside because it really looks and feels like just about anyone can get the W any given week. Except for the GC, the Lions and the Blues.
Having said that, I'm still watching the Hockey.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

As it seems more and more unlikely we'll go three in a row I'm not minding so much that the table has been flipped.

As much as the Ross Lyon gameplan annoys me it wouldn't kill me to see Freo win their first, since it may be their last gasp with Pavlich/Sandlilands etc. (If it's a Sandgroper 1-2 that might be a bit much...)

Maybe by mid-season the expected pecking order may reassert itself, but for now I'm kind of digging it. Aside from the losing to GWS part.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Schlesische posted:

Having said that, I'm still watching the Hockey.

Yeah, I'm interested to see if he fucks up tonight as much as he did last year.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Doctor Cave posted:

Yeah, I'm interested to see if he fucks up tonight as much as he did last year.

It's a crazy year, anyone could turn up and perform on the day*

Except for Brisbane, Carlton, and Joe

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I'm sure you're all sick of hearing about the Saints win over the Dogs, but I'm sure as hell not.

With that in mind: At half time Alan Richardson didn't have much to say but instead just wrote on the whiteboard "what are you going to do?".

The more I hear about Richo the more I like him.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

It's an interesting season for sure, but I always like seeing one of the big Melbourne clubs not being total rat poo poo just for big crowds and big games. Currently the only one that isn't a total turd is Collingwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

You are, of course, referring to the Collingwood who knocked over three cellar dwellars and just got schooled by Geelong, who are middling at best.

• Locked thread