Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Play a Commando, buy every drone, and stack soldier's syringes, missile launchers (both types), and Arms Race until the game is brought to its knees under the processing load of your thousands and thousands of missiles.

Also fireworks! They release a ton of missiles every time you open a chest. Get a few dozen of them and watch the game freeze for 5 seconds (and then kill everything on the map) every time you open one of those little experience capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

RoR rules. Did they update their engine yet and if so, how is it now?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Get the ghost lantern, the Happiest Mask, a bunch of those "chance of double effect on usable items" things, a bunch of the item-cooldown-reducing things, and a pile of daggers. Run around avoiding stuff until the screen is a clusterfuck of enemies, then press a single button to turn the entire map into a supernova of homing lasers and angry ghosts.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

With the one that makes all enemies champions and the thing that makes champions drop items you can stack clovers til everything drops a box. Then you get ridiculous.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Well, now you'll never forget which gargoyle is the wind spell ever again!

You can even trap yourself in a shop doing this.

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004

jackofarcades posted:

Well, now you'll never forget which gargoyle is the wind spell ever again!

You can even trap yourself in a shop doing this.

Yeah, that happened to djc6986 on one of his Zone 4 Coda runs. I think he only had one bomb at the time, so he could have broken the shop wall down, but didn't have anything to clean the gold after. Thankfully it was just a Zone 4 run, because that would be quite a tragic way to end a Coda all-zones run! :gonk:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Help how do I stop doing everything IRL to the beat after playing for a while?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Lone Badger posted:

You never stop, live your life to the beat.

MiF
Nov 29, 2004

Bouchacha posted:

RoR rules. Did they update their engine yet and if so, how is it now?
They did, and initially broke a lot of poo poo they've since patched. Personally, the biggest things I've noticed were climbable thing being easier to grab onto and online multiplayer being more finicky to get running.

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Kanfy posted:

You never stop, live your life to the beat.

Unless you work in retail, then you can yodel to the music.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Man, Aria. I can deal with only dagger and only having half a heart, but never missing a beat is rough.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the real necrodancer starts here :troll:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

netcat posted:

Man, Aria. I can deal with only dagger and only having half a heart, but never missing a beat is rough.

I've made it to the second song maybe 3-4 times with her. She is really hard to play.

And then I looked at the achievements list, which includes things like "complete All Zones Mode with Aria without picking up any items or using any shrines", "get 10 wins in a row in Cadence deathless mode", and "complete an All Characters run without picking up any items or using any shrines". This game really doesn't want you to get 100% achievements. I can't imagine that that last one will be gotten by more than a few dozen people in the world.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Man, I'm starting to think I just have bad tastes in roguelikes. I sunk a ton of time into DCSS recently and just don't really like it. I got a couple of wins, but just never felt super excited by anything in it. I don't even really enjoy Brogue all that much most of the times I play it, though the good runs are a lot of fun. I do enjoy (CL)IVAN, Elona+ and Poschengband consistently though, despite thinking they are just straight up not designed as well. Hell, I think I'd like Dungeons of Dredmor really well if it weren't for the interface issues.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
10 wins in a row with Cadence doesn't seem too hard, just boring.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Also the concept of beating the game period as Coda baffles me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Broken Cog posted:

10 wins in a row with Cadence doesn't seem too hard, just boring.

I have 1.9 wins on Cadence deathless (died against the Necrodancer the second time around) and that puts me at around #60 on the leaderboards. You need a lot of consistency to get ten wins in a row. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, just that statistically I don't think many people are going to get it even if they're trying for it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I've made it to the second song maybe 3-4 times with her. She is really hard to play.

And then I looked at the achievements list, which includes things like "complete All Zones Mode with Aria without picking up any items or using any shrines", "get 10 wins in a row in Cadence deathless mode", and "complete an All Characters run without picking up any items or using any shrines". This game really doesn't want you to get 100% achievements. I can't imagine that that last one will be gotten by more than a few dozen people in the world.

I think only one person is seriously trying Coda and all-char Low%, and that's http://twitch.tv/djc6986 (holder of all 3 bolt records and bard speed record)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have 1.9 wins on Cadence deathless (died against the Necrodancer the second time around) and that puts me at around #60 on the leaderboards. You need a lot of consistency to get ten wins in a row. I'm not saying it's impossible or anything, just that statistically I don't think many people are going to get it even if they're trying for it.

I think it's just that not too many people have bothered to try deathless mode. I can easily finish the game pretty much every time I play Cadence(mostly daily dungeon nowadays), but every run takes some time.
I guess it's easy to grow careless after a run or five.

I wish they'd mix the daily up a bit by forcing you to play a random character other than Cadence every now and then.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dairy Power posted:

Hell, I think I'd like Dungeons of Dredmor really well if it weren't for the interface issues.

Dungeonmans. Seriously.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dairy Power posted:

Man, I'm starting to think I just have bad tastes in roguelikes. I sunk a ton of time into DCSS recently and just don't really like it. I got a couple of wins, but just never felt super excited by anything in it. I don't even really enjoy Brogue all that much most of the times I play it, though the good runs are a lot of fun. I do enjoy (CL)IVAN, Elona+ and Poschengband consistently though, despite thinking they are just straight up not designed as well. Hell, I think I'd like Dungeons of Dredmor really well if it weren't for the interface issues.

i got super burned out on dungeon crawl because it takes a lot of time to play and some design elements are just weirdly inconsistent. i mean, it's an alright game, but it's not something that people Absolutely Have To Like because there's legit complaints to be had about it every now and then.

dredmor is just kinda disappointing because it was like 90% of the way to being really good but then it got mired down by the actual, you know, gameplay.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

The Lone Badger posted:

This is the entire point of the game.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.

victrix posted:

Dungeonmans. Seriously.

I bought it when it was on sale last week and I've been following madjackmcmad's updates on it for over a year. Haven't really given it a fair shake yet, just a couple of quick runs that I bungled haha. I'll try it more when my Poschengband obsession dies down in a few days.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i got super burned out on dungeon crawl because it takes a lot of time to play and some design elements are just weirdly inconsistent. i mean, it's an alright game, but it's not something that people Absolutely Have To Like because there's legit complaints to be had about it every now and then.

dredmor is just kinda disappointing because it was like 90% of the way to being really good but then it got mired down by the actual, you know, gameplay.

DCSS isn't too terribly long compared to ToME 4 and a lot of the Angband variants, but yeah. Still longer than I'd like for how it plays. I think the only real legitimate complaint I can articulate is that the variance is way the hell too big on everything. It's like they were trying to maximize entropy or something.

And 100% with you on Dredmor.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I think it's just that not too many people have bothered to try deathless mode. I can easily finish the game pretty much every time I play Cadence(mostly daily dungeon nowadays), but every run takes some time.
I guess it's easy to grow careless after a run or five.

I wish they'd mix the daily up a bit by forcing you to play a random character other than Cadence every now and then.

The daily's kind of a thing for a lot of people, messing with it gets them mad.

But yeah, once you're pretty solid at the game, you can rack up a lot of deathless wins. Guys I know who were good - but not great - were doing 20+ in the Zone 3 era. (I got up to 55)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm about due to get back to that sometime. I know I've got a ton of updates and patches someone asked me to translate the notes for piled up around here somewhere.

DCSS has kind of gotten dull recently - it feels a bit like they've stripped more than they've put in and I tend to prefer playing melee more than I do magic in roguelikes so it's generally super dull for me anyway.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dairy Power posted:

And 100% with you on Dredmor.

Dredmor would be one of my favorite roguelikes if the No Time To Grind mode was balanced properly.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I do not understand URR.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I do not understand URR.

I don't think you're supposed to, even if it was possible. It's one of those things best viewed from a distance like ulillillia's platform masters etc.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Well, the upside of cracking open 10 year old code is that even those most minimum amount of attention makes it somewhere between 10 and 100x better. In an hour of fiddling I've:

1. Reduced world-build time from like 10 seconds to like 3 seconds, and can make it effectively instant with another few minutes of effort.
2. Reduced overland ruin generation from like 40 seconds to 2.5 seconds
3. Made taking a step on the overland map about 20x faster
4. etc...

Honestly, it's a little shocking any of this code ever worked. A significant portion of it never did.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Unormal posted:

Well, the upside of cracking open 10 year old code is that even those most minimum amount of attention makes it somewhere between 10 and 100x better. In an hour of fiddling I've:

1. Reduced world-build time from like 10 seconds to like 3 seconds, and can make it effectively instant with another few minutes of effort.
2. Reduced overland ruin generation from like 40 seconds to 2.5 seconds
3. Made taking a step on the overland map about 20x faster
4. etc...

Honestly, it's a little shocking any of this code ever worked. A significant portion of it never did.

This is true of all software, everywhere. Try not to think about that while you're in an airplane.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dongsturm posted:

This is true of all software, everywhere. Try not to think about that while you're in an airplane.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/01/boeing-787-dreamliner-software-bug/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Got distracted by other games lately but I checked up on Armoured Commander. The dev has made some nice improvements. He has a basic XP/Skill system for crew in now, and has the beginnings of an improved campaign system, including a (currently non-functional?) campaign map and shifting the campaign info into an editable file. He also has included options for letting you pick your starting/replacement tanks as well as replacing your commander if he is killed (though both options are recorded on the high score table).

Oh, and also a few basic sound effects.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Is Armoured Commander playable to people whose knowledge of tanks is limited to knowing that there are some strange big armoured things out there (and playing Panzer General some 15 years ago)?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Burning Rain posted:

Is Armoured Commander playable to people whose knowledge of tanks is limited to knowing that there are some strange big armoured things out there (and playing Panzer General some 15 years ago)?

If there were some place in game to see what sort of ammo was best for each target, that would be perfect. I don't really know much about tanks and I was able to do alright for a little while, but ended up firing armor piercing ammo against unarmored mens or shooting tanks in the fattest part of their asses instead of the soft unguarded poundables.

GalaxyBounce
May 3, 2009
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Invisible Inc is coming out today. It's a pretty cool hacker inspired kinda roguelike by the team that did Mark of the Ninja and Don't Starve.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I've played a bunch of Invisible Inc in early access and it's pretty fantastic. It's balls-out hard sometimes, depending on level generation and the team you're using, but it oozes atmosphere and is fun and challenging.

The woman who can see and access terminals through walls is ridiculously clutch and should be used whenever possible. Deckard is also incredibly good thanks to his cloak and extra movement point. I beat the early access game with them, switched to trying other teams, and just died over and over. They are Extremely Good.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Burning Rain posted:

madjackmcmad posted:

If there were some place in game to see what sort of ammo was best for each target, that would be perfect. I don't really know much about tanks and I was able to do alright for a little while, but ended up firing armor piercing ammo against unarmored mens or shooting tanks in the fattest part of their asses instead of the soft unguarded poundables.

I've done a couple write ups in this thread for Armoured Commander.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As a quick guideline of what to use each ammo type on:

Infantry (includes AT Guns) cannot be hurt by AP rounds, you have to use HE.
Trucks are a soft target and have a good chance of being killed by AP and will almost certainly be destroyed by an HE hit.
PSWs and SPWs are armored cars or half-tracks, HE rounds have a small chance to kill them (a decent chance on a rear shot) but generally you want to use AP which will almost certainly kill them
Tanks and SPGs have nearly no chance of being destroyed with HE rounds and should be engaged using AP only. (Special Exception: The Marder II and III have mediocre odds of being killed with HE on side/rear hits due to their exposed gun crews). [Edit] However most enemy tanks are highly resistant to AP rounds on their front facing, go for side or rear shots whenever possible. The 76mm gun's special HVAP rounds will score frontal kills on several tanks much more easily however, except the Panther and King Tiger who have highly sloped front hulls which will likely cause the round to bounce

As for firing HE rounds, they can be used in two modes Direct Fire and Area Fire.

Direct Fire: Is more accurate at close range, especially against vehicle targets. At medium range its less accurate against infantry compared to Area Fire, and about equal in Accuracy against vehicles. At longer ranges, direct fire is not very accurate at all.
Area Fire: Is typically more accurate at medium and long range. It also has one extra feature in that ignores modifiers for terrain. It also ignores modifiers for vehicle size, but anything large enough to give a bonus probably is a tank or SPG and you don't want to be shooting HE at those anyways.

So quick Summary:

Using HE on a target at Close Range, who is in the open: Use Direct Fire
Otherwise: Use Area Fire.

I did a somewhat more in-depth write up on the various Shermans you can receive and some of the enemy units you face (the ones capable of killing your tank) here.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 12, 2015

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Notorious QIG posted:

Dredmor would be one of my favorite roguelikes if the No Time To Grind mode was balanced properly.

I feel like Dungeonmans has the best parts of Dredmore, the goofy humor and simple-ish progression, while avoiding the worst, long animations and grindy crafting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've played a bunch of Invisible Inc in early access and it's pretty fantastic. It's balls-out hard sometimes, depending on level generation and the team you're using, but it oozes atmosphere and is fun and challenging.

The woman who can see and access terminals through walls is ridiculously clutch and should be used whenever possible. Deckard is also incredibly good thanks to his cloak and extra movement point. I beat the early access game with them, switched to trying other teams, and just died over and over. They are Extremely Good.

With the release build (now out for everybody!), I'm extremely partial to Sharp (the cyborg) and Banks (free keycard, also a starting paralyzer). Sharp gets crazy when you start piling augments into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I am very much looking forwards to playing Invisible Inc. once I get the time. It looks like a fantastic stealth roguelike.

I for one, love the game design discussion in this thread. :allears: More please.

I'm trying to remember the name of a roguelike. It was a cyberpunk - warhammer 40K game where you were in a hive city or something. I think it was based on the pen and paper role playing game Dark Heresy. It may not have been finished. Anyone have a clue?

By the way, has anyone really made a cyberpunk roguelike before? I can't think of one.