Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebs
Apr 22, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I think the PS4 is not a great console right now, but I wish that it were less expensive and had more great games, because then I would purchase them and play them!

Bloodborne is all you need friend.

Nebs
Apr 22, 2008

Well meme'd friend.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I try to actively avoid hearing about new games before they come out, because that way I'm not one of those hosed up dudes who's pissed it was only good and not perfect or w.e.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
What a world it would be where every game is good. I want to live in that world.

I only find joy in spectacularly expensive failures anymore, but most likely only because deep down I wonder what a 200 million dollar masterpiece will play like.

We'll know in September, hopefully.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I bought the new Thief for $5 because I thought people were just overreacting with it like they usually do, but it actually isn't good... drat.

This is kind of the other side of the coin... sometimes you expect a game to be poo poo and it turns out good. Like I bought blood dragon for a few bucks fully expecting it to be a big turd and I actually liked it more than far cry 3...which is kind of damning with faint praise but whatevs.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's the Alpha Protocols of the world that make us return to the bargain bin again and again.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is kind of the other side of the coin... sometimes you expect a game to be poo poo and it turns out good. Like I bought blood dragon for a few bucks fully expecting it to be a big turd and I actually liked it more than far cry 3...which is kind of damning with faint praise but whatevs.

i tried to play 3 after beating blood dragon and i couldnt do it, its the same reason i wont play 4 because id rather just play blood dragon

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Pumroy posted:

how soon into game making do you think developers realize their game is bad. does the realization hit them only after the game is done and they're like "oh no... this is bad! we can't ask for $60 for this!" or do they feel it while they're making it and it hangs in their thoughts through every step of the process poisoning their efforts

80% B.
A lot can suddenly align and work at the very end of production, but it's often not enough to save a dreadful game.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

that sucks. must be hard to work on something thinking "this is bad garbage" but on the other hand the knowledge you are providing for your family probably outweighs what some dude you'll never meet thinks of your game.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Yeah it sucks. There's the occasional redemption where someone high up gets the courage to drag the abomination behind the shed and finish it off, but there's usually so much money involved that this happens less than it really aught to.

And then there's the absolute worst: A prototype milestone so successful that someone in authority gets the idea that the team could be doing something more valuable. They take it upon themselves to over-ambitiously redesign the whole project as something completely different and the whole thing then fails spectacularly. Granted, this case is mighty rare, but it's a huge bummer to say the least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like it when a game is bad because then I can go on the internet and say, "Boy is this game bad!!!" and people will laugh at my clever joke and I can pretend they're my friends.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

zen death robot posted:

That feel when you're reminded that your pastime is a multi-billion dollar business.
and baby, business is good

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I like it when a game is bad because then I can go on the internet and say, "Boy is this game bad!!!" and people will laugh at my clever joke and I can pretend they're my friends.

Thank you for being honest.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zen death robot posted:

That feel when you're reminded that your pastime is a multi-billion dollar business.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When a bad game comes out, I hope that the developers take the good ideas they had and implements them better next time.

It's kind of hard to do that, at least in the US and Europe, in the modern age because games are made with excessive budgets nowadays. If you fail to recoup a profit, you're probably never going to get a sequel and the publisher is going to drain all your good employees to their more profitable studios and close yours down. Really sucks because it puts a lot of people out of jobs and bad games sometimes have really good ideas that might pan out to be really fun if they got rid of the chaff, but they'll never get the chance again I'm hoping that the rise of indie games and cheaper game engines like Unity and UE 4 makes smaller ventures easier to perform.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

SunAndSpring posted:

It's kind of hard to do that, at least in the US and Europe, in the modern age because games are made with excessive budgets nowadays. If you fail to recoup a profit, you're probably never going to get a sequel and the publisher is going to drain all your good employees to their more profitable studios and close yours down. Really sucks because it puts a lot of people out of jobs and bad games sometimes have really good ideas that might pan out to be really fun if they got rid of the chaff, but they'll never get the chance again I'm hoping that the rise of indie games and cheaper game engines like Unity and UE 4 makes smaller ventures easier to perform.

maybe it shouldn't be those things you wrote or whatever

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

elf help book posted:

maybe it shouldn't be those things you wrote or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2Hwi9qM48

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

SM64Guy posted:

i like it when games are good
:agreed:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
the power of positive posting

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When a videogame comes out and it turns out bad like Sim City 2013 or Thi4f, I don't get happy looking at the fail, I get annoyed because it's one less good game for me to play.

i wasn't expecting those games to be good becuase i'm not a mornron. gently caress you

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

i wasn't expecting those games to be good becuase i'm not a mornron. gently caress you

Don't be mad at the weak for still having hope

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010
I never buy a game week 1 unless I'm willing to say I want to be that companies bitch.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

Neither was I, but I wasn't happy that they were bad.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SleepySonata posted:

I never buy a game week 1 unless I'm willing to say I want to be that companies bitch.

You are very cool, my man.

Dec 26, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You are very cool, my man.

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.
Whenever I feel like getting angry at a game maker, I remind myself that 10-15 years ago that game maker was a just a kid who wanted to make people as happy as he was playing video games and for some reason it just didn't work out this time.

Coding can take a good while to learn, and I'm not sure one could make it through if they didn't want it on some level.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

WeeabooJudas posted:

Whenever I feel like getting angry at a game maker, I remind myself that 10-15 years ago that game maker was a just a kid who wanted to make people as happy as he was playing video games and for some reason it just didn't work out this time.

Coding can take a good while to learn, and I'm not sure one could make it through if they didn't want it on some level.
Edit: misread what this was saying

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

food 4 thought...... stay positive + blessed, gamers

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hey, jackass, Bad Game is that-a-way. I hear Tinkzorg has a thread about Konami's financial forecast for you to jack off to.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Hey asshats, here's an idea: if you want games to fail so much then maybe you aren't a gamer. Now make like a tree and gently caress off!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

Borsche69 posted:

Hey asshats, here's an idea: if you want games to fail so much then maybe you aren't a gamer. Now make like a tree and gently caress off!

through the failure of some games, others are made all the more epic. now please imagine that as a Talos Principle message

actually, do that for every post ITT

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I like some objectively bad games. My forum name happens to be one of them (the N64 version, anyway)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Human Grand Prix posted:

I like some objectively bad games. My forum name happens to be one of them (the N64 version, anyway)

That's okay, too. Nothing wrong with enjoying something that isn't very well made, if it appeals to you particularly.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

even bad games aren't a waste of time, because they teach people to not repeat their mistakes. also because truly bad games are fun to laugh at/about

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
I paid $50 for donkey conga...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

https://www.themakemoneyfromhomedad.com

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

King Bowser got his own website!

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I recommend that documentary on the ET Atari game if you're at all interested in why some games just come out wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Schnedwob posted:

through the failure of some games, others are made all the more epic. now please imagine that as a Talos Principle message

actually, do that for every post ITT

What the hell?

• Locked thread