Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

grack posted:

Quoted from the computer build megathread

I honestly can't tell if this guy is being serious.

Anyone above the age of 18 who still buys components instead of walking into a store* with a bunch of money and walking out five minutes later with a fully-working computer system is a loving idiot. Building PCs is a fun hobby for a baby.

*) Or, if you live in the wilderness or something, mail-order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Fauxtool posted:

im supporting your purchase of that stupid, pretty ODAC+O2, not arguing against your statement

Fair enough, but it's not very pretty at all. Just sort of an anonymous black thingie, really.

Does its job very well, though. I've never had a USB DAC this quiet before, or a headphone amp with that much power.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anyone above the age of 18 who still buys components instead of walking into a store* with a bunch of money and walking out five minutes later with a fully-working computer system is a loving idiot. Building PCs is a fun hobby for a baby.

*) Or, if you live in the wilderness or something, mail-order.

Hey now, I built my current PC myself :shobon:

Mostly because no one was offering anything combining low noise and good performance at the time, 6 years ago. The selection of pre-built PCs is much better these days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

KozmoNaut posted:

Fair enough, but it's not very pretty at all. Just sort of an anonymous black thingie, really.

I'm going to use your picture out of convenience rather than a stab at just this item, but what is it about audio gear and using disgusting script fonts on the front of the hardware? I'm not expecting small companies to have expert designers working full time for them, but do they honestly think that they look good? It looks like they got inspiration while out on a business lunch in some lovely restaurant, reading the menu written in - of course - papyrus.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm going to use your picture out of convenience rather than a stab at just this item, but what is it about audio gear and using disgusting script fonts on the front of the hardware? I'm not expecting small companies to have expert designers working full time for them, but do they honestly think that they look good? It looks like they got inspiration while out on a business lunch in some lovely restaurant, reading the menu written in - of course - papyrus.

You also need mismatched fonts.

That way it doesn't look too "mass-produced", it gives you that "boutique" feel.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's mimicking vintage gear, try to invoke the imagined good ol' days when floral script = classy.

It's similar to how Japanese companies in particular absolutely loved to list every single inconsequential feature on the front of the gear. My old Pioneer CD player proudly boasted Legato Link Conversion in large fancy gold lettering. Big whoop, it's just their codename for oversampling and a decent low-pass filter, like every other CD player of a similar vintage had.

Personally, I prefer embossed Dymo labeling, for that true vintage homebrew feel.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

It's mimicking vintage gear, try to invoke the imagined good ol' days when floral script = classy.

My dad had that Marantz tuner, although I can never remember it with the lights working. It has a big elastic-band inside connecting the tuner knob to a pot which was amusing when I first cracked it open. Also had an older Marantz with fake wood-grain and all. Used that one for many years as an amp because I had nothing better, was good poo poo.

I just bought a $10 pair of TDK ear-buds from Woolworths today because I need earphones and don't care. Sounds good man.

Edit: just looked it up, was a Marantz 2225 which is apparently worth $500 now. I think my old man junked it oh dear.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 12, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cheese-cube posted:

Woolworths today

Is that a loving thing still?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

KozmoNaut posted:

It's similar to how Japanese companies in particular absolutely loved to list every single inconsequential feature on the front of the gear. My old Pioneer CD player proudly boasted Legato Link Conversion in large fancy gold lettering. Big whoop, it's just their codename for oversampling and a decent low-pass filter, like every other CD player of a similar vintage had.

Personally, I prefer embossed Dymo labeling, for that true vintage homebrew feel.

The thing is, that floral script would be totally acceptable today in my book. What they choose to actually use is just disgusting

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

cheese-cube posted:

Edit: just looked it up, was a Marantz 2225 which is apparently worth $500 now. I think my old man junked it oh dear.

Not quite. Maybe if it was brand new in box from the 70s, but $500 is way overpriced for a 2225.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BANME.sh posted:

Not quite. Maybe if it was brand new in box from the 70s, but $500 is way overpriced for a 2225.

$200 isn't crazy though. Still overpriced but that's going rate.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Is that a loving thing still?

Yeah, in Australia it is. As a simpleton I often grab a sandwich from there for lunch.

BANME.sh posted:

I was just going off Ebay prices from a quick Google search. The one I had was pretty beat-up and from what I remember barely working so probably wouldn't have gotten >$150.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah, in Australia it is. As a simpleton I often grab a sandwich from there for lunch.

I didn't intend to call you a simpleton, I just thought you meant a completely different store.

re: aesthetics chat -- I've always dug the way Schiit looks, but H-K is a good second. I love monolithic designs though.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Not to derail too far from audiophile chat but I've always loved Lian-Li cases. They cost a bit more than over manufacturers but the quality is great. I built a HTPC for my dad using one of their multi-media chassis and it fits in perfectly underneath his receiver and amp:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cheese-cube posted:

Not to derail too far from audiophile chat but I've always loved Lian-Li cases. They cost a bit more than over manufacturers but the quality is great. I built a HTPC for my dad using one of their multi-media chassis and it fits in perfectly underneath his receiver and amp:

their most recent SFF case is pretty great. Its wall mountable with a real glass side and costs as much as most builds

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 12, 2015

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Why would you want that on your wall

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anime Sandwich posted:

Why would you want that on your wall

because you are an audiophile and more expensive = more better. If you cant show people how expensive it was, it might as well not exist

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I love PCs and headwater but duck trying to show it off especially in shared spaces. Is loving distracting.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fauxtool posted:

because you are an audiophile and more expensive = more better. If you cant show people how expensive it was, it might as well not exist

Isn't that a computer?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigFactory posted:

Isn't that a computer?

a htpc is also a computer

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I think he is asking because showing off your fancy see-through PC case is usually reserved for teens or gamer goons who haven't yet grown up.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
yeah audiophiles are usually into like stereos and stuff

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BigFactory posted:

yeah audiophiles are usually into like stereos and stuff

If you are trying to say its off topic, read the post above it.
it was in response to a post about htpc's. That is the intended function of the quote feature, yes?

Its cringe worthy for some of the same reasons as much of the of snake oil cables and sound rocks. Purely aesthetic design choices with often negative influences on the actual functions.

It costs $350 when a high performance and visually high quality option can be had for $70

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 12, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Less PC chat, more lamenting the closing of the Reference Audio Mods store, home of the $400 wooden volume knob

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If it were me I'd use the term "computerphile" instead so you don't confuse folks.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
There's probably enough variations of "Ram Cleaners" alone to fuel more than one computerphile mock thread.

Qwijib0 posted:

Less PC chat, more lamenting the closing of the Reference Audio Mods store, home of the $400 wooden volume knob

The forum thread that shows up as the first google result for that name is fantastic and i can't decide who the bigger moron in this tale is - the scammer "Kyle" or the guy drowning him in thousands of dollars who keeps doing it for years

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 12, 2015

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

If you are trying to say its off topic, read the post above it.
it was in response to a post about htpc's. That is the intended function of the quote feature, yes?

Its cringe worthy for some of the same reasons as much of the of snake oil cables and sound rocks. Purely aesthetic design choices with often negative influences on the actual functions.

It costs $350 when a high performance and visually high quality option can be had for $70

lol try harder next time.

Qwijib0 posted:

Gonna need a link to this.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

Gonna need a link to this.

https://archive.is/SPfKz

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
This reads so much like a clumsy parody written by a teen, down to the yahoo.com email address, my first impulse is to tell the guy to tone the joke down more than a bit.

Kinda hard to sympathize with the marks ignoring all the red flags.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

quote:

Well, hearing is believing as we always say.
Or at least believing is hearing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This reads so much like a clumsy parody written by a teen, down to the yahoo.com email address, my first impulse is to tell the guy to tone the joke down more than a bit.

Isn't this pretty much how Machina Dynamica started? A 100% parody website that people just started buying poo poo from?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've read that with a lot of scams this sort of poo poo is intentional. It drives away people dumb enough to buy, but smart enough to realize their mistake afterward. Those are the people who seek vengeance, by which I mean evangelize against them.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I actually never thought about it that way, but it seems totally reasonable in hindsight. I usually assume incompetence before malice, but of course those aren't exclusive.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Why do all 3-position audio switches always go:

even though it's not like the wiring is backwards, they actually go out of their way to not 1-2-3 it.

why, though

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Qwijib0 posted:

I didn't see that you could still get the original on closeout, yeah just do that.

I bought all of those except the sub, and they are sounding great. Thanks a lot for the recommendations.

How would I connect a subwoofer that the amp, given that it has only left and right outs? I've read you can connect the subwoofer in parallel with one of the speakers, but it seems like that would change the impedance and the amp might not be able to handle it.

My subwoofer is also powered and probably has an amp inside it, since originally it was a mini-receiver for a 5.1 setup. Does that mean I should connect it to the DAC rather than the amp?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wild EEPROM posted:

even though it's not like the wiring is backwards, they actually go out of their way to not 1-2-3 it.

why, though

???

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Booyah- posted:

I bought all of those except the sub, and they are sounding great. Thanks a lot for the recommendations.

How would I connect a subwoofer that the amp, given that it has only left and right outs? I've read you can connect the subwoofer in parallel with one of the speakers, but it seems like that would change the impedance and the amp might not be able to handle it.

My subwoofer is also powered and probably has an amp inside it, since originally it was a mini-receiver for a 5.1 setup. Does that mean I should connect it to the DAC rather than the amp?

Yeah, you generally don't want to connect speakers in parallel. It'll lower the impedance, which could bring it low enough that the amp won't be able to drive them properly.

Usually subs (both active and passive) have both input and output, so you run speaker wire from the amp to the sub, and then from the sub to the main speakers. The crossover in the sub will send the low frequencies to the sub, and the higher frequencies on to the mains.

But this depends on what gear you have.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Or use Wye cables if the subwoofer has a variable low pass filter in it.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 14, 2015

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Wild EEPROM posted:

why, though

Every electric fan I've used is the same way. No idea why.

Edit: lol no they're mostly 321. Still asleep.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Every electric fan I've used is the same way. No idea why.

Edit: lol no they're mostly 321. Still asleep.

That one at least is fairly obvious, because you need the higher current to get the thing spinning and so you need to slide through the high-power area to get to the low-power one. Same with (some) gas cookers where maximum flow is the first setting next to the shutoff, to make sure they light.

I've never seen a switch like he's talking about, maybe he can post an example? The only thing I can think of is like a source selector where position 3 is position 1 plus position 2, then that layout makes sense from both a use standpoint and probably a wiring one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Booyah- posted:

You should just be able to use whatever input you didn't use on that little amp and connect that to the primary input of the system that the sub was a part of, be it on the sub or a box attached to it. Because you have no speakers attached to that system anymore, all you should get is the noises that would have come out of the sub. I did this for years with a Logitech z something 5.1 sub.

The two inputs are in parallel on the lepai so they are both effectively in/out, it would be the same as using a Y splitter off the DAC, but you don't need the Y splitter. Because both connected things, the lepai, and your sub, are powered, you don't really have to worry about impedance matching-- the loads are so tiny because they're inputs to amplifiers.