Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Monsters fighting each other can have quite a few interesting consequences. I was doing a bog-standard lab raid, opened a door to a random room and unleashed an absolute tsunami of manhacks. Literally every tile of the room had a manhack on it, and the moment I opened the door they started spreading out into the corridor.

It turns out the room had a mi-go in a glass cell, which pissed off the zombie scientists in the room, but unable to get at it they just spammed manhacks over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah, that's kinda annoying.

Also, you'll almost never encounter eyebots directly, because as soon as they touch down, nearby zombies will rush in and destroy them.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
One of the more common ones I find is hordes of dead zombies in a city and one extremely pissed off giant wasp.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's also lots of set encounters containing a mixture of zombies and robots/turrets, which obviously now only contain one of those two (at half strength).

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Are eyebot spawns random now, or do they follow the scent path? I busted into a gun store in town and hightailed it back to my hideout outside of town, but now eyebots are popping up around my shelter every two or three days. I almost died to a police bot stunning me with a taser and giving the ol' Rodney King to my torso and I'm hoping I won't have to deal with infinite copspawn. Now I pick off the eyebots whenever I step out of the door with a rifle before they have a chance to call in the copbots. Snitches get stitches.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I really wish you could jump over stuff. Like, leap through a window to negate the move penalty or jump over pits and stuff.

Another thing I wish is that if you had pits in a row, deep or shallow, if you unloaded some liquids into them it would share evenly between all the pits... for instance gasoline

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 11, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Motherfucker posted:

I really wish you could jump over stuff. Like, leap through a window to negate the move penalty or jump over pits and stuff.

Only if there's an irreducible set of %chances to miss and hit an adjacent tile or fall short and trip or fumble and faceplant into concrete/spikes/traps and probably die instantly. That is the baseline for "fun" after all.

e:

Angry Diplomat posted:

So can you literally just "eat" absolutely anything with that CBM? Because I know a huge lag-inducing pile of damaged steel chunks that would make a great late-night snack once I'm done churning out spikes to cover my copmobile in spiked plating. It'd be nice to be able to just eat empty cans and bottles instead of chucking them outside or making GBS threads up my crafting area with them, too.

What happens if you install multiples of a power source CBM? Can I install a second metabolic interchange to speed the process up, or totally coat my character in solar panels to give her faster solar energy generation?
Craft them into metal/steel crossbow bolts, use whatever mod lets you install crossbow turrets in a vehicle.

What I'd like is some kind of cargo compressor or SOMETHING that makes storage space in vehicles less tedious. Okay all that 16k space on a freight barge is kinda nice but being unable to find a single piece/stack is annoying so why not craft something (probably expensive and difficult or weighs 50 tons or drains a lot of power or runs on plutonium and diamond grilles)

Actually just having some kind of olde RPG abstract/hyperspace storage might be nice to avoid a lot of the tedium that comes with the mandatory hoarding behavior. That and a button for "automatically repair all items in range" would be grand.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 12:24 on May 11, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

silentsnack posted:

Only if there's an irreducible set of %chances to miss and hit an adjacent tile or fall short and trip or fumble and faceplant into concrete/spikes/traps and probably die instantly. That is the baseline for "fun" after all.

I'd say having fail chances is fair, for instance its probably never a great idea to leap from a speeding vehicle... but any rube (with human legs) should be able to leap over a pit.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

silentsnack posted:

What I'd like is some kind of cargo compressor or SOMETHING that makes storage space in vehicles less tedious. Okay all that 16k space on a freight barge is kinda nice but being unable to find a single piece/stack is annoying so why not craft something (probably expensive and difficult or weighs 50 tons or drains a lot of power or runs on plutonium and diamond grilles)
In at least more recent builds you can go into the advanced inventory screen and hit A to see all things nearby, so there's no need to go cargo bay by cargo bay. Still have to find a place to put stuff though.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
So I spent a few in game days systematically stripping an APC into nothing. I've been replacing the outer shell of my RV with reinforced frames and composite armor but when I got to the section with my water tank in my RV I found that despite putting in a replacement heavy frame, board, and roof, I can't reinstall the water tank. My mechanics is at 14 so I don't know what the deal is.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 12, 2015

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Blackray Jack posted:

So I spent a few in game days systematically stripping an APC into nothing. I've been replacing the outer shell of my RV with reinforced frames and composite armor but when I got to the section with my water tank in my RV I found that despite putting in a replacement heavy frame, board, and roof, I can't reinstall the water tank. My mechanics is at 14 so I don't know what the deal is.

Has to be empty to install it, same with gas tanks. Annoying, I know.

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...
EDIT: Somebody beat me to it. Need empty tanks

Anybody else crank up the starting points? I like making my characters more powerful, so I doubled the points given and doubled the points of Advantages/Disadvantages. I think it makes it more interesting.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yamtaggler posted:

Anybody else crank up the starting points? I like making my characters more powerful, so I doubled the points given and doubled the points of Advantages/Disadvantages. I think it makes it more interesting.

How so? Legitimately asking, not trying to be a dick.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

gently caress colds.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

loving colds are bullshit.

Also quick question, how do you carry more stuff with less encumbrance? I think I'm doing ok but my torso encumberance is always off the charts, does stuff in your inventory count? Can I just drop everything before I go sword-crazy? Also how do you stop a broadsword from getting stuck every loving hit?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 12, 2015

Yamtaggler
Feb 6, 2011

My brother gave me half of a rock and told me to wait for you in the woods...

Solid Poopsnake posted:

How so? Legitimately asking, not trying to be a dick.

Well, I've come to rely on a couple of standby perks (Parkour Expert, Quick, Night Vision) and I like having more leeway to play around with the other ones. I also like having more points so I can have a more balanced spread of attributes at Character Creation, so if I come across a katana and a book for Niten-Ryu in the first mansion I come across on a strict ranged character, I don't just have to shrug and say "That would have been cool."

Also, I'm a filthy cheater, so there's that.

EDIT:

Motherfucker posted:

Also quick question, how do you carry more stuff with less encumbrance? I think I'm doing ok but my torso encumberance is always off the charts, does stuff in your inventory count? Can I just drop everything before I go sword-crazy? Also how do you stop a broadsword from getting stuck every loving hit?

The way I understand it, what's in your inventory only affects your encumberance if it's in the red. There are four slots for each body part:
-Close to Skin (Undershirt, Briefs, etc)
-Worn as Clothes (T-shirts, Pants, etc)
-Worn over clothes (Coats and poo poo)
-Strapped (Backpacks, MBR Vests, Blah Blah Blah)

You can have one of each of these (Or two if their encumberance is 0 before being fitted) on each body part before you start getting encumberance for wearing too much junk.

EDITEDIT:

As far as Broadswords getting stuck, I imagine you just need to get your Cutting Weapon skill up?

Yamtaggler fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 12, 2015

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I think high strength also helps keep weapons from getting stuck. I am also guilty of cranking up starting points, I think you have to adjust it in Debug mode in Options, so you might have to check the settings ini file if you don't see it there.

Using a cart or something to stuff loot in and dragging it around is usually better than trying to carry everything yourself, but usually I go with a trenchcoat/hoodie/cargo pants/duffle bag duffle bag combination. If I really need to engage in crazy melee and am not carrying too much, I can dump the second duffel bag and kill what needs to be killed, then pick it back up after it's all dealt with. Sadly duffle bags got nerfed since 0.B and they're now 3 encumb rather than 2, which made them really, really good for the amount of storage they gave (a lot) and how easy they were to make (tailoring 2)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I take Forgetful, Truth Teller, and Ugly with NPCs and skill rust off, so I guess I'm guilty of jacking up the points too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I'm thinking my encumbrance and the associated skill damage to melee skill is whats causing my unnaturally sticky sword because my character normally dices bitches like a loving champ.

Still, no amount of sword skill can quite counteract getting shot in the face for what felt like a solid three seconds by a lab turret.

so while digging around in the dark I found a bunch of mutant limbs, so like any sane person I devoured them and got High Night Vision~ (also had to purify furry ears but that's fine)

So how do I activate my super eyes?

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 12, 2015

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

[ allows you to activate and view mutations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When you're in labs remember to only open doors when you'd have a clear view to the room beyond them, if it's a turret and you're only packing melee, close the door and just walk away, if you do have something to shoot it with move sideways so that it loses its line of sight towards you, step back two steps into the room, make sure you turn off whatever light source you might be carrying and then move back so you could have a line of sight with turret making sure you're also outside its illumination range, now you can snipe at it with your own leisure.

Small caliber pistols can take them out but it would usually require a whole bunch of bullets, anything above 5.56 will usually take them out with 2-3 succesful shots.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I started a new game and within the first few days discovered no less than three power substations surrounding the city. Time to cash in some cudgel blows for some CBMs :unsmigghh:

Anticheese posted:

I take Forgetful, Truth Teller, and Ugly with NPCs and skill rust off, so I guess I'm guilty of jacking up the points too.

I'm guilty of this, too. I also usually take the shortsighted and far sighted together since you end up with bifocals that I've honestly never had break on a character who wasn't about to be dead meat from face trauma anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I do take glass jaw, and the points there go straight into strength which mitigates some of its effect. Heavy sleeper and poor hearing are actually kinda bonuses.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize power substations turned into CBMs. I always got random electronics when I disassemble them.

e: oh duh. :doh:

nftyw fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 12, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Zombie technicians yield CBMs when butchered.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Sold an NPC companion an inactive manhack I had lying around. When we shortly encountered a tank drone and a small horde, it turned out that he wasn't limited to using the manhack once.

It was slow progress trying to wade through and buy back the damned thing.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Shoulda sold him an inactive turret instead.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Bleremiah posted:

Sold an NPC companion an inactive manhack I had lying around. When we shortly encountered a tank drone and a small horde, it turned out that he wasn't limited to using the manhack once.

It was slow progress trying to wade through and buy back the damned thing.

I am going to sell an inactive C4 hack to an NPC and see what happens.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I like to crank up points and use them to take a bunch of crafting skills. Screw grinding.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I use the base number of points, but I turn skill rust off, static NPCs on, and random NPC spawn rates wayyyyyyy down. That provides a decent level of challenge for me, since you can start with basically no skills and just study like a panicked college student once you have shelter and a modest food supply. It also really helps to start as a tough, survivable class - Black Belts utterly mulch everything but are pretty boring, Bionic whatevers are generally quite good in different ways, and firefighters, blacksmiths, and lumberjacks are good starts for their useful tools and clothing. Bikers are decent too.

Probably the most absurdly resilient class is Bionic Police Officer. You start with some handy gear, a great pistol and some ammo, an incredibly strong helmet, and goddamn titanium skin. Unless you get infected, Hulk'd into a paste, or really badly swarmed, almost nothing can put a meaningful dent in you before you arrest it into pieces for criminal zombism in the first degree. Even small-arms fire just pings off your Robocop body while you bellow DROP IT, SCUMBAG and line up a shot.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I don't find 'grinding' too hard really, it mostly involves sitting on my rear end raking in levels from books than spontaneous knowing how to make bombs and poo poo. You only get most of your recipes through books anyway and its a nice way to do it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

When you're in labs remember to only open doors when you'd have a clear view to the room beyond them, if it's a turret and you're only packing melee, close the door and just walk away, if you do have something to shoot it with move sideways so that it loses its line of sight towards you, step back two steps into the room, make sure you turn off whatever light source you might be carrying and then move back so you could have a line of sight with turret making sure you're also outside its illumination range, now you can snipe at it with your own leisure.

Small caliber pistols can take them out but it would usually require a whole bunch of bullets, anything above 5.56 will usually take them out with 2-3 succesful shots.

^^^ Don't do this; do the exact opposite. If you're in front of the door the turret can fire before you close it, and getting shot is usually Not Fun. If the wall/door isn't illuminated it often means there is no turret, but for some stupid reason they can see you one tile outside the light radius so you can get unlucky if you're standing in front of the door.

Stand where you don't have a line of sight to middle of the room (diagonally to one side) open the door and use X,direction "peek around corner" command to look inside the room. (the interface is clunky and annoying, but so is re-rolling a new character)

If there is a turret, go to another room and bust up some furniture, then throw nails/feathers/rags/etc at the turret until you get 1 or 2 Throwing. With 0 hand/arm/eye encumberance and a couple of skill levels, you can destroy a turret by hucking 5~6 two-by-fours at it. No real need to waste ammo or stop exploring.

Sorry if you were trolling or I just killed your intentionally-giving-bad-advice joke. Actually not sorry at all.

e:

Motherfucker posted:

I know how to kill turrets, I could pop them with one loving slug-shot and I didn't actually die from getting shot up, (though I wish I did with the 200 something pain and equipment gently caress, if I didn't kevlar my trench and have a riot hat I found in the corner of an earlier room I'd be dead AF)
Figured you knew or could get it otherwise, and if you have shotgun in hand with slugs loaded you could probably kill it before it fires, but that was just pointing out some of the counterintuitive mechanics for any newcomers who might think all advice is good advice.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 12, 2015

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I know how to kill turrets, I could pop them with one loving slug-shot and I didn't actually die from getting shot up, (though I wish I did with the 200 something pain and equipment gently caress, if I didn't kevlar my trench and have a riot hat I found in the corner of an earlier room I'd be dead AF)

Also if you're getting bored of playing bionic starts and having your poop all in a group by the very begining of the game, play a fuckin' mutant.

That's how I roll and its incredibly rewarding yet also loving awful and hard, which is good?? Its fun in the good way and not the getting hosed in the eyesockets twenty four seven way.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 12, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Never got shot by a turret as I open the door for the first time, only if I previously was spotted by that one turret previously.

Didn't think about throwing crap at it though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sometimes I feel like getting to the part where I'm a supermutant cyborg mowing down hordes with a supercar quickly, so I crank up the starting skill points a little. I don't see what the issue is, everyone plays the game how they like and just because the early-game grind is possibly the only challenging part doesn't mean that's all anyone only wants to play, nor the only part that's fun.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Inadequately posted:

Sometimes I feel like getting to the part where I'm a supermutant cyborg mowing down hordes with a supercar quickly, so I crank up the starting skill points a little. I don't see what the issue is, everyone plays the game how they like and just because the early-game grind is possibly the only challenging part doesn't mean that's all anyone only wants to play, nor the only part that's fun.

I agree with this. I don't crank up starting skill points because I, personally, don't enjoy that as much. I also turn off skill rust because I, personally, find it tedious and irritating. I am playing the game Correctly and so is everyone who plays it differently from me. It's a customizable single-player game.

I might try a run with one of the goofy Classic Roguelike archetypes sometime. It'd be pretty funny to start out as a clanky heroic Knight and just trundle through the game being an incredibly resilient superstitious rube who thinks cars and guns are sorcery, and instead drags his worldly possessions around in a "curious metal wagon" he found in an amazing treasure trove full of cured foodstuffs, suspicious alchemical powders, and odd fizzy potions.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I build theme characters, and give them as many points as is necessary for them to have what they need.

Currently my favorite thing (now that I'm mostly back up to speed on the game, having played it all weekend) is playing with the Special Operations start. I'm playing him straight up as Army SF caught out while on assignment. So, I give him whatever points are necessary for him to have the traits I want (Self Defense -- Krav Maga/Muy Thai; Packmule, etc. ) that would fit his theme. And no drawbacks that wouldn't make sense (for instance, on this character it would make no sense to have Trigger Happy on someone who is supposed to have excellent fire discipline, or Ugly/Truth-Teller on someone who is supposed to be good at training indigenous forces. On the other hand if i were playing the National Guardsman start, both of those could be appropriate).

The Roguelike archetypes are really powerful. Like, the Sorcerer, for zero points, gets a ton of CBMs.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
You people who care about getting shot by 9mm turrets really need to look into tailoring. Armor is crazy broken in this game and with 5 tailoring you can make gear that will ensure that nothing short of military robots ever gets close to hurting you. Hell, you can make yourself pretty much invulnerable to regular zombies with just the stuff you can find in the evac shelter.

On an unrelated topic, is it me or are the newly added chems (suplhur, hexamine etc...) basically worthless? They are only used in a small subsection of recipes, anything actually useful is hidden behind extremely rare books and even then you need an entire lab's worth of goodies to make the equivalent of a single pipe bomb.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Well, I'm sold. I'm going to start jacking up points and also checking out that classic roguelikes mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Angry Diplomat posted:

I agree with this. I don't crank up starting skill points because I, personally, don't enjoy that as much. I also turn off skill rust because I, personally, find it tedious and irritating. I am playing the game Correctly and so is everyone who plays it differently from me. It's a customizable single-player game.

I might try a run with one of the goofy Classic Roguelike archetypes sometime. It'd be pretty funny to start out as a clanky heroic Knight and just trundle through the game being an incredibly resilient superstitious rube who thinks cars and guns are sorcery, and instead drags his worldly possessions around in a "curious metal wagon" he found in an amazing treasure trove full of cured foodstuffs, suspicious alchemical powders, and odd fizzy potions.

I'm imagining a huge guy with pinpoint pupils furiously scratching at himself as he tells 'peasants' about the cache of giants' strength and haste potions he found.