Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This topic has run its course, on to the next thing.

Guys should I go to college?

Yes, that checkbox is really, really helpful even if the material to get the box is not and it costs a ton of dollars. Just go to a local community college to get your associate's degree and finish at a state or other low-cost institution just to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
But the thing is I'm like really smart, you guys don't even know, my cousin is in MENSA and he comes to me for advice. I can see any two numbers and tell you what language they're in.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You need the right research material to make this decision.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress you, what the gently caress is this poo poo. He is literally an abuse victim. People who are abused are not at fault for being abused, and they are not idiots and not doing anything wrong. There is some serious medical and psychological poo poo going on that he needs professional help with and should do that, but it's not as easy as telling someone to "just leave". You don't tell abuse victims that they're "loving idiots", jesus goddamn christ.

I sometimes can't believe the selfishness, arrogance, ignorance, and misogyny that comes into this thread occasionally but you're taking the loving cake right here.

Gotta agree with this. Typically like your posts Sickening, but the dude's leaving his job, just not as quickly as you'd like, and has mentioned suicide as an actual thing that he's thought about. Telling anyone they deserve calculated emotional abuse is pretty hosed up.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Dick Trauma posted:

You need the right research material to make this decision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy_VzDlSies

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtq9ak_iBbQ

True and unfortunate story, I can't say "I can't believe it" around my wife without finishing the line.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Absolutely, you don't know enough about beer and it's a great place to study the juice of life.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Related; I work for a university and can take for-credit courses at about $100 per hour. But I have almost no interest in taking any more courses - I already have a (almost useless) master's degree and feel like I've had enough college for a while.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress you, what the gently caress is this poo poo. He is literally an abuse victim. People who are abused are not at fault for being abused, and they are not idiots and not doing anything wrong. There is some serious medical and psychological poo poo going on that he needs professional help with and should do that, but it's not as easy as telling someone to "just leave". You don't tell abuse victims that they're "loving idiots", jesus goddamn christ.

I sometimes can't believe the selfishness, arrogance, ignorance, and misogyny that comes into this thread occasionally but you're taking the loving cake right here.

I called this person and idiot because they are an idiot. People have been plenty patient and have given out well thought out advice. There is a point where coddling obviously isn't the answer and this is getting there fast. I mean jesus christ, this is dilbert level of dumb right here.

It is to the point where this person should just post to E/N and get it over with.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 12, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I hope that guy quit his job because with ten years experience he probably deserves a raise anyway.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Disregard, somehow double posted.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I called this person and idiot because they are an idiot. People have been plenty patient and have given out well thought out advice. There is a point where coddling obviously isn't the answer and this is getting there fast. I mean jesus christ, this is dilbert level of dumb right here.

It is to the point where this person should just post to E/N and get it over with.

:yikes:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I work in IT.

My coworker does too. He likes to turn features on on the servers just because they're there.

I literally want to put his head through a wall when he's got some feature enabled that we don't need that's causing problems.

Latest problem : We have two RDP servers, one of which is having write access problems. He turned on brokering to split the load between the two servers. Nobody knows why he did it, he was never told to do it, he never asked if he should do it, he just turned it on. I have been setting up all of the systems to connect to the second server, the server which has been working fine.

Suddenly we're seeing a huge barrage of tickets saying "MY SYSTEM IS FREEZING UP CONSTANTLY" and "Suddenly all my printers are gone" (Since the first was not meant to be used until we fix the problems with it we never set up printers there) and all sorts of other issues. I try to remote in to the server to see what's going on and suddenly start getting all kinds of RDP errors "The server you're connecting to differs from the one you specified" and all sorts of other weird messages.

Best part is he turned brokering on literally 15 minutes before he left for the day, leaving the rest of us to clean up the horrible mess.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

khy posted:

Best part is he turned brokering on literally 15 minutes before he left for the day, leaving the rest of us to clean up the horrible mess.

"Please describe your change management policies and procedures."

"YOLO!!!!11"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Docjowles posted:

"YOLO!!!!11"

I think you mean "embrace agile devops methodologies and strive to fail fast with continuous delivery in a dynamic, hands-on environment."

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Sickening posted:

This is a fair point.

insidius fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

PCjr sidecar posted:

I think you mean "embrace agile devops methodologies and strive to fail fast with continuous delivery in a dynamic, hands-on environment."

Aargh gently caress you that's too close to home to be funny.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

#NoEstimates

I've had some really productive conversations recently about how [competent] DevOps and ITIL are rapidly converging on exactly the same place from different directions. But, then, we knew this was happening when the best ITIL book and the best DevOps book had the same authors' names on them.

Docjowles posted:

"YOLO!!!!11"
This environment doesn't need a new policy or procedure. It needs a manager who's going to set direction and hold employees accountable for bad behavior.

Expecting inert documents to solve decision-making problems is even more unreasonable than expecting technology to solve decision-making problems.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 12, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

insidius posted:

I had not intended to act like a jackass on purpose. I just had not obviously understood that I was still not drawing the line where it needed to be drawn. I was still taking on too much despite in my mind it being already greatly reduced from what I had initially planned.

When I said I intended to the best I could, I largely only intended to not leave them in a position where they had a reason to decide to be difficult with me when I leave, to try and prevent them from messing with my pay, delaying it, attempting to avoid paying me my entitlements etc. I did not want to give them a reason to try and go out of their way to gently caress me. It was clear with correction from this thread that I was taking it too far and as such on the advice of this thread, I scaled it back massively. All I want is to leave and never have to deal with them in any way, shape or form again. When I walk out that door tomorrow with my belongings, I never want to look back. I want to go home, drink booze (Hurrah no pager) and know that I can drink until my hearts content and none of what has been discussed will ever be a part of my life again.

At any rate, I have taken the advice given. I will not pop back in until I am a free man, its going to be a good day.

Much as I want to encourage you to make positive moves for your own accord, I move for mod challenge if he comes back saying he hasn't immediately quit.

You are protected by law - not professional ethics or "industry self-regulation" - to get what you're owed, period. I do not know Australian law but you are legally protected from such actions that may be taken against you when you quit under duress.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I move for mod challenge if he comes back saying he hasn't immediately quit.

Yes please

Goon in the well gets old fast. Most of us are grown-rear end men and women in here, right?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Actually, I think most of us are still growing (outward) :btroll:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an AD tutorial? I'm fumbling around in it very slowly, and I want to get better at it.

AD and PowerShell are my two biggest focuses while I'm in between semesters.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 12, 2015

high six
Feb 6, 2010
For Powershell, http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Windows-PowerShell-Month-Lunches/dp/1617291080 is a good book to use. Worked pretty well for me. I still have a lot to learn but it got me started!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an AD tutorial? I'm fumbling around in it very slowly, and I want to get better at it.

I got my "wow, holy poo poo, AD can do all this?" and otherwise by prepping for the MCSA. If the 70-411 (or is it 412?) isn't up your alley, Don Jones has been nothing but great in his Lunches series: http://morelunches.com/2013/12/09/learn-active-directory-management-in-a-month-of-lunches/

He did another Lunches book on Powershell, which is a wonderful and easy to use resource.

As to insidius, I can defintely understand the abuse-victim mentality. I'm just thinking we need to get him the positive motivation he needs, and maybe a mod challenge would do it if our present attempts at doing motivaiton as such don't fit the bill.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Build a lab with the 180 day trials and go hog wild. Set up some multisite stuff with the free Azure trial when you feel ready, use it as your internal DNS if you feel like it. Then try and configure a Windows desktop using nothing buy Group Policy.

It's very powerful, but GP in particular gives you all the tools you need to very effectively shoot yourself in the foot.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I got pinged by a corporate recruiter at Netflix yesterday for what looks like a dream job in the direction I've been wanting to go with my career. Bonus that it is obviously not in Chicago because I have been looking to GTFO of the midwest for a while.

Just trying to drop some positive energy into the thread today. :toot:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Agrikk hit me up to see if I was interested in Amazon but I'm fairly certain that Amazon wouldn't be very interested in me. :-(

Go for that Netflix goodness!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

gently caress you.

There's being DAF and then there's being snared in an abusive relationship (which this obviously is). I'll bet you blame battered spouses for being in the situation they're in as well when they can "just leave".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

flosofl posted:

gently caress you.

There's being DAF and then there's being snared in an abusive relationship (which this obviously is). I'll bet you blame battered spouses for being in the situation they're in as well when they can "just leave".

gently caress you.

A battered spouce and this person are not even close to the same thing and you are a loving moron for even suggesting it. You have on one hand someone who is physically beaten by someone they love in their own home and on the other is employee that you cursed at. Talk about totally different end of spectrum. Jesus christ.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: gently caress You

Sickening fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 12, 2015

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Thanks Ants posted:

It's very powerful, but GP in particular gives you all the tools you need to very effectively shoot yourself in the foot.

I like my coworker's summation of GP: "Group policy is great when it works and terrifying when it doesn't"

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

gently caress you.

A battered spouce and this person are not even close to the same thing and you are a loving moron for even suggesting it. You have on one hand someone who is physically beaten by someone they love in their own home and on the other is employee that you cursed at. Talk about totally different end of spectrum. Jesus christ.

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › Working in IT 3.0: gently caress You

Emotional abuse is its own fairly insidious category but this is turning Tumblr pretty quickly.

It's super late in Australia, so best we can hope for is that when he wakes up he posts about how great it was to have told these guys to :fuckoff:

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I'm not advocating abusing the poor guy any more than necessary, but seriously it's time to sac up and move on dude. Nthing the position that it should have been over the second your boss made those ridiculous threats. You're a grown man. Get all the references you can from that place and you can counter any smearing that guy can do to you. It sounds like you're valuable so there should be some people who will go to bat for you.

And on the way out, leave an upper decker in each toilet. :lesnick:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dark Helmut posted:

This is something the entire thread can get behind I am sure.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

mayodreams posted:

I like my coworker's summation of GP: "Group policy is great when it works and terrifying when it doesn't"

Group policy is a six-shooter loaded with seven foot-seeking bullets.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Dark Helmut posted:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

That's what's up

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Aren't you supposed to drop one in your boss' potted plant or was that another thread?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Apologies to interrupt the upper-decker talk (it's the right thing to do in this instance), but where do people stand on employers wanting guarantees of sticking around after doing vendor training courses (in this case a VCP)? I can sort of see this from both sides but I'm leaning in the direction of "training is an investment in your staff, if you're worried about them getting trained up and leaving then be a better employer". I've been handed an offer of the training paid for in work's time but with a proviso of if I leave after a year then I have to pay 50%, leave after two years then the 'debt' is written off. Before a year it's 100%.

Ignoring the fact that if I leave I wouldn't be bothered about paying off the training because I would bring it up with the new employer or just deal with it because the salary was going up a huge amount, I think the timeframes are far too long compared to the cost of the courses and the recertification schedules. I'm inclined to push for oweing 100% up to 6 months after the exam, and then a sliding scale up to month 12. Potentially with a get-out clause whereby if I am shopped to a client for a project (we are an MSP) as a VCP and bring in £12k then they should write off the training 'debt' entirely.

How do other places handle it? To make it clear these are certs that I've requested.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Thanks Ants posted:

Apologies to interrupt the upper-decker talk (it's the right thing to do in this instance), but where do people stand on employers wanting guarantees of sticking around after doing vendor training courses (in this case a VCP)? I can sort of see this from both sides but I'm leaning in the direction of "training is an investment in your staff, if you're worried about them getting trained up and leaving then be a better employer". I've been handed an offer of the training paid for in work's time but with a proviso of if I leave after a year then I have to pay 50%, leave after two years then the 'debt' is written off. Before a year it's 100%.

Ignoring the fact that if I leave I wouldn't be bothered about paying off the training because I would bring it up with the new employer or just deal with it because the salary was going up a huge amount, I think the timeframes are far too long compared to the cost of the courses and the recertification schedules. I'm inclined to push for oweing 100% up to 6 months after the exam, and then a sliding scale up to month 12. Potentially with a get-out clause whereby if I am shopped to a client for a project (we are an MSP) as a VCP and bring in £12k then they should write off the training 'debt' entirely.

How do other places handle it? To make it clear these are certs that I've requested.

Some places have a policy that if you leave prior to X months after receiving training you're on the hook for some/all of the costs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

My place has a standard policy for training/certification/courses/etc that you request that if you leave within x amount of time, you're on the hook for x% of the costs. From talking to others in the industry in my area/country, it's pretty standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Time for a derail!

Not sure if it was in this thread or one of the others, but I mentioned that a week back I was interviewed for a Virtualization sysadmin position at Langley AFB in Virginia. I went in to see the PM today and he told me that they've only interview 2 of the 4 candidates, so it doesn't look like they're in all that much of a hurry to hire after all. Anyways I'm the current front-runner for the position as Candidate #2 was interviewed and put down a bunch of stuff on his resume that he hadn't actually used, saying "I'm not sure why I put those in there."

PM was not a very happy camper, and feels that if that's the level of my competition for the position then I'm a shoe-in. Unfortunately, he also was told by corporate that they are probably going to try to get away with paying something close to what I already make. Add in no relocation assistance, as well as a 15% higher cost of living, and the job isn't looking so hot (even though it would give me the experience I need and want). Feeling quite bummed out about it, however I don't have the job yet so it's a bit premature to get all emo about it. Besides, I can negotiate and if corporate refuses to budge then I can walk away.

I'll just go with Plan B in that case, which is to ride my current contract down in flames, which is supposed to end in August, but it's expected to get protested at least once, which pushes it into October, and THEN we start the 60 day turnover at that point, which might take us as far as December. Then I hop in my truck and head down south to Florida - Tampa is looking more and more appealing every day, and I've already spoken with a couple recruiters down there. Of course, that kinda sucks because I have to go back to weekend 3rd shift at the beginning of next month and swing shift every 3 months is a bitch. I'd prefer to just punch out now, but there's no one hiring in the area (or at least, they're not talking to me). Oh well, back to studying - taking my VCP5 exam on Friday. Wish me luck!