Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

The Lord Bude posted:

Don't waste money on 4gb variants of the 960. If you can afford to spend more than the cost of a 2gb 960, you should get a 970; otherwise look to AMD cards for something priced in between.

Looking at an R9 280 right now. Seems to be about on par price wise with the 960 if not a little cheaper but the specs seems to favor the 280. Any reason I shouldn't go the 280 route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Well, you have to buy The Witcher separately which pushes the actual price well above the GTX960. It is the better choice if stretching to a GTX970 is out of the question though.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, trying to keep budget around $200 or less so stretching for a 970 would be out of reach for me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, trying to keep budget around $200 or less so stretching for a 970 would be out of reach for me.

Keep in mind the 970 comes with Arkham Knight on top of The Witcher 3, which may or may not push the math into "justifiable" range for you.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, dunno if Arkham Knight is worth enough to me yet to want to up it that much and I doubt the resell can get me enough to make me comfortable going up an extra $100 over. Thanks for the heads up though, didn't consider that.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

couldcareless posted:

Yeah, dunno if Arkham Knight is worth enough to me yet to want to up it that much and I doubt the resell can get me enough to make me comfortable going up an extra $100 over. Thanks for the heads up though, didn't consider that.

There's also an R9-290 @ $240 right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/3514f2/gpu_xfx_double_dissipation_radeon_r9_290_4gb/

It's up a weight class from the 960 and 280 both, about as powerful as a 780.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Twerk from Home posted:

There's also an R9-290 @ $240 right now: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/3514f2/gpu_xfx_double_dissipation_radeon_r9_290_4gb/

It's up a weight class from the 960 and 280 both, about as powerful as a 780.

I still have my GTX 760, would it be worth it to move to this card?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OEMs are generally very motivated to not have consumers update their drivers, and often contractually require vendors to exclude their systems from driver update (including those distributed via Windows Update). The OEM has basically nothing to gain from the user being able to do so, and in the event that something goes wrong and generates a support call, they have something to
lose.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

FaustianQ posted:

I still have my GTX 760, would it be worth it to move to this card?

Not at all

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hace posted:

Not at all

From a performance point? If so, then I'm sitting on my hands until something concrete about AMDs new cards comes out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's faster but not enough to justify the upgrade, it's a 20-30% improvement IIRC.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

So I need to wait for Pascal to get a real improvement or shell out 400$?

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Or get a 970 at $330 and get two AAA games as a bonus.

e: As far as I can tell the 960 technically isn't even that much faster, the main benefit is just that Maxwell is much more efficient tessellation and a number of nvidia specific features.

Hace fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 11, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Hace posted:

Or get a 970 at $330 and get two AAA games as a bonus.

e: As far as I can tell the 960 technically isn't even that much faster, the main benefit is just that Maxwell is much more efficient tessellation and a number of nvidia specific features.

Don't care about Witcher or Batman TBH.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
So flip them for like $50 each

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

So flip them for like $50 each

not the best advice atm when witcher 3 pre order is $30

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Incidentally, that's about as much as Witcher 3 codes are going for on Ebay. Same for Arkham Knight. So, $60 bucks in pocket. Not bad, if you ask me.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fauxtool posted:

not the best advice atm when witcher 3 pre order is $30

Where?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Incidentally, that's about as much as Witcher 3 codes are going for on Ebay. Same for Arkham Knight. So, $60 bucks in pocket. Not bad, if you ask me.

Ah, fair enough

peskyplumber
Dec 14, 2011
This may be a long shot, but was there ever a software/firmware fix for the "fan 2 stays at 100% power after being activated" bug on the MSI 970 with the twin frozr cooler? Google tells me this was a problem late last year but I just bought one recently and it has this problem, and its drivers and BIOS are up to date. I don't really want to RMA if I don't have to.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

peskyplumber posted:

This may be a long shot, but was there ever a software/firmware fix for the "fan 2 stays at 100% power after being activated" bug on the MSI 970 with the twin frozr cooler? Google tells me this was a problem late last year but I just bought one recently and it has this problem, and its drivers and BIOS are up to date. I don't really want to RMA if I don't have to.

Have to RMA AFAIK.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Tossing this out here before I make a Haus of TS thread: Anyone had problems with nvlddmkm event ID 14 grinding the machine to a halt? Recently RMA'd my 970 and been running on my old 660 since, and this poo poo pops up semi-randomly (as in, everytime I play, but not after the same amount of time), making the entire PC stutter including mouse, keyboard and sound.

I've tried two different 660's now and it happened on both so it's probably not the hardware.

Foxhound fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 11, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Foxhound posted:

Tossing this out here before I make a Haus of TS thread: Anyone had problems with nvlddmkm event ID 14 grinding the machine to a halt? Recently RMA'd my 970 and been running on my old 660 since, and this poo poo pops up semi-randomly (as in, everytime I play, but not after the same amount of time), making the entire PC stutter including mouse, keyboard and sound.

I've tried two different 660's now and it happened on both so it's probably not the hardware.

Maybe related to this annoying issue I had to deal with awhile back? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484126&pagenumber=164&perpage=40#post423883311

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Hace posted:

Where?

If you are looking, there have been quite a few copies going on SA Mart for 30$- thats where I got mine!

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Captain Yossarian posted:

If you are looking, there have been quite a few copies going on SA Mart for 30$- thats where I got mine!

I thought he meant at retail, not secondhand

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Maybe. Thanks for the link. I also suspect it might be a sound driver failure or conflict. Reinstalled the geforce drivers and skipped all the fluff and just went with the graphic and physx drivers as well as removed the realktek junk. It's hella annoying to try to reproduce the issue though.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

peskyplumber posted:

I kept mine. I've created a fan profile that makes sure it never goes below 30% since the problem only ever occurred when trying to spin up to a low RPM state from idle, and 30% is still below audible to me. In the 6 months or so that has passed it has happened exactly once since I set that profile, and I think that was after I updated Afterburner which caused it not to run after a reboot, thus not applying the custom fan profile.

MSI have refused to reveal what the cause or the fix is.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Hamburger Test posted:

I kept mine. I've created a fan profile that makes sure it never goes below 30% since the problem only ever occurred when trying to spin up to a low RPM state from idle, and 30% is still below audible to me. In the 6 months or so that has passed it has happened exactly once since I set that profile, and I think that was after I updated Afterburner which caused it not to run after a reboot, thus not applying the custom fan profile.

I've never heard of this, but if true, I'll pay the extra :10bux: for an ASUS 970 when I go to buy one in a couple of weeks. Good to know.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 12, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

LiquidRain posted:

I've never heard of this, but if true, I'll pay the extra :10bux: for a 970 when I go to buy one in a couple of weeks. Good to know.

It was claimed to be fixed on a production run before this year. But unless peskyplumber got a card that had been sitting on the back of the shelf for 6 months, maybe they just reduced the frequency?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hace posted:

Where?

was actually $39, $30 is the converted european price.
On g2a and greenmangaming right now

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Hamburger Test posted:

I did that too and it kinda worked. The problem was having to crawl on the floor and check if the fans started everytime I booted the machine just to be sure. I finally RMA'd mine this weekend.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Foxhound posted:

I did that too and it kinda worked. The problem was having to crawl on the floor and check if the fans started everytime I booted the machine just to be sure. I finally RMA'd mine this weekend.

I just used GPU-Z and switched to the sensor tab. But it's been problem free for so long that I tend to forget starting it up now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

I've never heard of this, but if true, I'll pay the extra :10bux: for an ASUS 970 when I go to buy one in a couple of weeks. Good to know.

The problem was fixed months ago on newer cards, and MSI does RMAs on the issue without question. Old stock can still have the issue, of course, but if you buy from a big retailer there is a 0% chance that you'll get old stock with how much those cards have gone out of stock.

Kweh! Wark! Kweh!
May 16, 2008

Meat buns? :3:
Should I buy a 280x now, or wait until the 370 drops? I'm really on the fence about it, and there's some good deals on the 280x right now.

Edit: I'm upgrading from a HD 6850

Kweh! Wark! Kweh! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 12, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Kweh! Wark! Kweh! posted:

Should I buy a 280x now, or wait until the 370 drops? I'm really on the fence about it, and there's some good deals on the 280x right now.

What're you calling a "really good deal"? I'd actually be staying away from the 280/X at this point just because of how old and behind on features they are. Keep in mind that they were originally released in December 2011.

Edit: I'm all about cheap 290 though. If you spot a custom cooler 290 under $220 again, and are looking for an upgrade right now, snag it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
AMD 280 is really old tech and you can get a slightly less outdated 290 for only a few bucks more these days. I've seen one for 239USD on newegg yesterday.
Otherwise it's impossible to say without knowing the new chips' capabilities. If they were any good you'd assume AMD would leak and tout that poo poo all over the place.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 12, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Bleh I'm bummed my 290x can't output 5k over dual DP. 2xDVI was sooooo important.....

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can't please everyone, people are going to be pissed when cards stop coming with DVI ports and they can't use their overclockable Korean monitors anymore :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I would be too if I still had one lol

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

repiv posted:

You can't please everyone, people are going to be pissed when cards stop coming with DVI ports and they can't use their overclockable Korean monitors anymore :v:

Oh no, my card has no DVI port, what ever will I do?

Edit: oh missed the part about weird overclocking. Oh well, I don't think the card manufacturers will lose much sleep about missing out on this market.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Rastor posted:

Oh no, my card has no DVI port, what ever will I do?

I'd bet you can't run the overclocked no firmware Korean monitors at 96hz with that though.