Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ABC 2015 Upfronts

2014-2015 Scorecard

Returning Series
Scandal
How To Get Away With Murder
Agent Carter
Agents of SHIELD
Ameican Crime
Galavant
Castle
Last Man Standing
Secrets and Lies
Fresh Off the Boat
The Middle
Modern Family
The Goldbergs
Black-ish
Nashville
Once Upon A Time
Grey's Anatomy

Cancelled Series
Cristela
Manhattan Love Story
Resurrection
Revenge
Forever
Selfie

2015-16 Schedule (New programs in UPPER CASE; all times ET)

MONDAY
8 PM — Dancing with the Stars
10 PM — Castle

TUESDAY
8 PM — THE MUPPETS
8:30 PM — Fresh Off the Boat
9 PM — Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
10 PM — QUANTICO

WEDNESDAY
8 PM — The Middle
8:30 PM — The Goldbergs
9 PM — Modern Family”
9:30 PM — black-ish
10 PM — Nashville

THURSDAY
8 PM — Grey’s Anatomy
9 PM — Scandal
10 PM — How to Get Away with Murder

FRIDAY
8 PM — Last Man Standing
8:30 PM — DR. KEN
9 PM — Shark Tank
10 PM –20/20

SATURDAY
8 PM — Saturday Night Football

SUNDAY
7 PM — America’s Funniest Home Videos
8 PM — Once Upon a Time
9 PM — OIL
10 PM — OF KINGS AND PROPHETS

New Series

Drama

The Catch

quote:

From Shondaland’s Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers, “The Catch” is a new thriller centered on the strong, successful Alice Martin (Mireille Enos). She’s a fraud investigator who’s about to be the victim of fraud herself by her fiancé. Between her cases, she is determined to find him before it ruins her career.

“The Catch” stars Mireille Enos as Alice, Alimi Ballard as Evan, Damon Dayoub as Kieran, Jay Hayden as James, Jacky Ido as Emil, Bethany Joy Lenz as Zoe, Rose Rollins as Andie and Elvy Yost as Maria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oANG1XrLqA

The Family

quote:

This thriller follows the return of a politician’s young son who was presumed dead after disappearing over a decade earlier. As the mysterious young man is welcomed back into his family, suspicions emerge — is he really who he says he is?

“The Family” stars Joan Allen as Claire, Alison Pill as Willa, Margot Bingham as Sergeant Nina Meyer, Zach Gilford as Danny, Liam James as Adam, Floriana Lima as Bridey, Madeleine Arthur as Young Willa, Rarmian Newton as Young Danny, Rupert Graves as John and Andrew McCarthy as Hank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvy0QxHw21g

Of Kings and Prophets

quote:

An epic Biblical saga of faith, ambition and betrayal as told through the eyes of a battle-weary king, a powerful and resentful prophet and a resourceful young shepherd on a collision course with destiny.

“Of Kings and Prophets” stars Ray Winstone as King Saul, Haaz Sleiman as Jonathan, Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Michal, Oliver Rix as David, Simone Kessell as Ahinoam, James Floyd as Ish-Boseth, Mohammad Bakri as Samuel and Tomer Kapon as Joab.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rycUElbrXAM

Oil

quote:

Billy and Cody Lefever dream of a new life beyond their working class roots and move to “The Bakken” in North Dakota, booming after the biggest oil discovery in American history. They’re soon pitted against a ruthless tycoon who forces them to bet big and put everything on the line, including their marriage.

“OIL” stars Don Johnson as Hap, Chace Crawford as Billy, Rebecca Rittenhouse as Cody, Delroy Lindo as Tip, Amber Valletta as Carla, Scott Michael Foster as Wick, India de Beaufort as Jules, Yani Gellman as AJ and Caitlin Carver as Lacey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUrfKsGFWEg

Quantico

quote:

A diverse group of recruits has arrived at the FBI Quantico Base for training. They are the best, the brightest and the most vetted, so it seems impossible that one of them is suspected of masterminding the biggest attack on New York City since 9/11.

“Quantico” stars Priyanka Chopra as Alex, Dougray Scott as Liam, Jake McLaughlin as Ryan, Aunjanue Ellis as Miranda, Yasmine Al Massri as Nimah, Johanna Braddy as Shelby, Tate Ellington as Simon and Graham Rogers as Caleb.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXRDcd_a2eg

Wicked City

quote:

“Wicked City” follows a unique case set in a noteworthy era of L.A. history, starting with a murder case from 1982 centered on the rock ’n’ roll, cocaine-infused revelry of the Sunset Strip. Alliances are formed between detectives, reporters, drug dealers and club-goers to solve a serial murder case.

“Wicked City” stars Ed Westwick as Kent, Erika Christensen as Betty, Adam Rothenberg as Jack, Taissa Farmiga as Karen, Gabriel Luna as Paco, Karolina Wydra as Dianne, Holley Fain as Trish, Darrell Britt-Gibson as Diver and Anne Winters as Vicki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_GTKR7hrgo

Comedy

Dr Ken

quote:

Doctor-turned-actor/comedian Ken Jeong (“Community,” “The Hangover”), plays Dr. Ken, a brilliant physician with no bedside manner. He is always trying to be a good doctor as well as a good husband and dad to his two kids. However, these good intentions have a way of driving everyone crazy at work and at home. Luckily, his therapist wife, Allison, is just the right partner to keep things sane.

“Dr. Ken” stars Ken Jeong as Dr. Ken, Suzy Nakamura as Allison, Tisha Campbell-Martin as Damona, Dave Foley as Pat, Jonathan Slavin as Clark, Albert Tsai as Dave and Krista Marie Yu as Molly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqGbbzxI-I

The Muppets

quote:

The Muppets return to primetime with a contemporary, documentary-style show. For the first time ever, a series will explore the Muppets’ personal lives and relationships, both at home and at work, as well as romances, breakups, achievements, disappointments, wants and desires. This is a more adult Muppet show, for “kids” of all ages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJkusicBa4

The Real O'Neals

quote:

A fresh take on a seemingly perfect Catholic family whose lives take an unexpected turn when surprising truths are revealed. Instead of ruining their family, the honesty triggers a new, messier chapter where everyone stops pretending to be perfect and actually starts being real.

“The Real O’Neals” stars Martha Plimpton as Eileen, Jay R. Ferguson as Pat, Noah Galvin as Kenny, Matthew Shively as Jimmy, Bebe Wood as Shannon and Mary Hollis Inboden as Jodi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDEW9qoZ6A

Uncle Buck

quote:

Based on the hit movie of the same name, Uncle Buck (Mike Epps) is a fun-loving but irresponsible guy who needs a job and a place to stay. By happy coincidence, his nieces’ and nephew’s nanny has just quit and his brother and sister-in-law need his help. His unconventional personality may just make him the right fit for the family and they may be the answer to his problems, too.

“Uncle Buck” stars Mike Epps as Buck, Nia Long as Alexis, James Lesure as Will, Iman Benson as Tia, Sayeed Shahidi as Miles and Aalyrah Caldwell as Maizy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swihz24aUHI

X-O fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Greys Anatomy really needs to die already

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So another show trying to do the Saul/David story? Didn't the last one crashing and burning prove anything?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So another show trying to do the Saul/David story? Didn't the last one crashing and burning prove anything?

It proved that it was a great show that had one of the least effective and most confusing marketing pushes I've ever seen for a TV show. That's pretty much it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Quantico looks to basically be Salt, the Angelina Jolie fugitive movie.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Deadpool posted:

It proved that it was a great show that had one of the least effective and most confusing marketing pushes I've ever seen for a TV show. That's pretty much it.

There was another Saul/David story?

This one was sort of confusing myself. Maybe I just wasn't familiar with the story at all but none of the promotional material for Of Kings and Prophets or even the logline for the series really said anything beyond vagaries and "it's from the bible, yo".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
MUPPETS!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

There was another Saul/David story?

Kings on NBC. It was a great one season show that got butchered by the ads for it.

Also Muppets looks amazing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Deadpool posted:

Kings on NBC. It was a great one season show that got butchered by the ads for it.

Yeah the ads made it look like a completely different show than it turned out to be, though it was DOA based on the pilot's ratings.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The fact that they seem to have gotten the handle on Kermit and Fozzie has me optimistic.

(I really hope that part with Fozzie's girlfriend saying "He's a BEAR, Dad!" is followed with Fozzie going "No I'm a-not, I'm a-wearing a neck-a-tie!" :haw:)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The fact that they seem to have gotten the handle on Kermit and Fozzie has me optimistic.

(I really hope that part with Fozzie's girlfriend saying "He's a BEAR, Dad!" is followed with Fozzie going "No I'm a-not, I'm a-wearing a neck-a-tie!" :haw:)

My only issue is that I am not sure the Office gimmick should carry the whole show. I want them to be a variety show again but I also know that I can't live in nostalgia.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like this, you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv8msHbqaFE

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The only issue with "30 Rock starring the Muppets" is that we already had a Muppet 30 Rock.

It was called 30 Rock.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can Kermit have it all, a family AND be a modern career frog in the entertainment world?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

yes, that IS the plot of 30 rock, good job gaz :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igd0eI1p6M8

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Deadpool posted:

It's been seven years and I'm still a little salty about Kings. The second season could have paid off big time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Quantico looks to basically be Salt, the Angelina Jolie fugitive movie.

I really don't understand how that premise is going to be a show.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That Muppets show looks dope, I'm gonna give it a go for sure.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Finding it odd that Galavant is returning. It wasn't terrible but I had trouble trying to figure out who its audience was supposed to be.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The premise for the Muppets sounds sooooo bad, the trailer however..... that I want to see now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

From the trailers here the shows I'll definitely give a shot are Wicked City, The Family, Quantico, and definitely The Muppets. Possibly Kings and Prophets too since I do love a good biblical epic. Not sure it'll be a good one though.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Oil seems like a weird match with Once Upon a Time in the schedule, but then ABC didn't really sign on for much in the way of even quasi-whimsical for which OUAT'd be a good lead-in.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My thoughts on the new comedies:

Muppets: Looks amazing. Will be amazing. This would take effort to gently caress up.

Real O'Neils: Despite the worst tagline in recent memory, the cast seems like they gel, the idea is fairly novel for a sitcom, and the trailer made me laugh out loud multiple times. Also, Martha Plimpton is a comedy treasure.

Uncle Buck: Alright I guess. Nothing super terrible, but nothing stand-out.

Dr. Ken: KILL IT WITH FIRE

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Deadpool posted:

IIRC, NBC idiotically tried to sell it based on the alternate-timeline angle and not the far more familiar Biblical one.

A bit petty, I know, but Is it just me, or does the "handsome" "jock" older brother in The Real O'Neals look, um, rather miscast?

Granted, I haven't watched the trailer with the sound on yet (work), so maybe this is a plot point of some sort.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Deadpool posted:

A few of the jokes fell flat (the thing with Gonzo and the cutaways was just atrocious) but I'm so happy to see new Muppets stuff not being written by Bobin / Stoller.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Mokinokaro posted:

Finding it odd that Galavant is returning. It wasn't terrible but I had trouble trying to figure out who its audience was supposed to be.

It's me. I am the audience.

Edit- I've probably listened to the soundtrack more than anything else since it came out.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 13, 2015

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

A few of the jokes fell flat (the thing with Gonzo and the cutaways was just atrocious) but I'm so happy to see new Muppets stuff not being written by Bobin / Stoller.

See, I liked that joke, not because it was funny, but because it shows that these writers know what the best thing about the Muppets is: Being able to make fun of poo poo by turning all of the characters into puppets. "Dad doesn't like his daughters boyfriend" is a tired premise, but add a puppet, and it's hilarious. "Documentary comedy with cutaways" is a tired premise, but if you add puppets: Hilarity ensues.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

All Muppets, all the time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Pinwiz11 posted:

All Muppets, all the time.

It kinda looks like what they did with the Looney Tunes Show with Bugs, Daffy, and the gang in a traditional sitcom setting.

Let's hope that's not the case.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
The Muppets trailer flat out slipped a "Electric Mayhem smoked hella weed back in the day" joke in and I can't loving wait to watch the poo poo out of that every god drat week.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

Deadpool posted:

Kings was brilliant, which is why the description for Of Kings and Prophets intrigued me, plus Ray Winstone! Unfortunately the loving trailer isn't viewable in my country :(

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

GLOSS posted:

The Muppets trailer flat out slipped a "Electric Mayhem smoked hella weed back in the day" joke in and I can't loving wait to watch the poo poo out of that every god drat week.

oh that was the joke, oh my god that's great

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

"What if the most powerful nation in the world... had a king?" Not, you know, a modern take on an Old Testament epic where the presence of a vengeful god is real. Not "Starring Deadwood's Ian McShane". Nothing that made it look interesting. Then they shifted around the timeslot a bunch and pulled it from the schedule entirely only to burn off the rest in the summer.

I think of all the shows I've been bitter about losing over the years, Kings tops the list. I was so into it by the end. If I had several million dollars I'd make a wrap-up movie just for my own satisfaction. :argh:

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Calling it now: none of these, except possibly the muppets, will last longer that one season.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wicked City looks interesting and the Muppets are the Muppets. Rest of it is bleh.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate ABC so much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So this is the second time they tried to get an Uncle Buck TV series going. Weird.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

So this is the second time they tried to get an Uncle Buck TV series going. Weird.

Look, they still haven't gotten over John Candy or John Hughes, OK?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like the concept of the Muppet show but the trailer didn't light my world on fire. I hope the jokes work better in context.

Dr Ken and The Real O'Neals both look dreadful. Can't bring myself to watch the trailer for Uncle Buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gaz-L posted:

Look, they still haven't gotten over John Candy or John Hughes, OK?

Waiting for another go at Ferris Bueller.

• Locked thread