Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Terrible Robot posted:

Yuuuup, it's this one. I watched that movie so many times as a child that I wore out the VHS tape.

I was really disappointed to learn how slow they actually are, but given the chance I would totally own one, no question.
If I had lottery money I would buy a Delorean and take it to Tesla and have them go nuts on the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Kinda surprised nobody has posted this one, but at the same time I guess I'm really not.

I had two hero cars as a kid, one of them was the Delorean that was already mentioned but the other was a simple, unassuming little VW Beetle.

The original Herbie the Love Bug was (and still is) one of my favorite movies, and I watched it enough to still quote from memory 20 years later (the less said about the sequels the better). I had a huge obsession with old ACVWs for years because of those movies, until someone told me how much money they cost now :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

General Lee was #1 for me, but this was pretty drat close.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BlackMK4 posted:

SW's Supra

gently caress. Mk4 supra are a close second. drat that is a good looking car.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I loved everything about the Skyline GT-R when I learned about it as a kid. Still do.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

razorscooter posted:

I loved everything about the Skyline GT-R when I learned about it as a kid. Still do.

:gizz:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A gold 280z
The General Lee
Ferarri F40
Comptech Spice-Acura

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Rather embarassing I had zero interest in cars as a kid. My mom did have a Cavalier Z24 though that I thought was pretty :krad:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

leica posted:

Was about to post this. Kid-me didn't even know it was just a rebodied Corvette.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Someone beat me to the 959, but the car I was fascinated with for the longest time as a kid was the Ruf CTR "yellowbird". Higher top speed than an F40 or 959, and for several years held both the lap record at the Nordeschliefe and the production car top speed record (211 mph).

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

YES.

Also just 928s in general were i think my first real car crush. Mostly due to this..

the doors opened and EVERYTHING

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Six year old me was FURIOUS at my dad for selling my beloved 1973 Dart 4 door in baby poo poo green with an emerald interior front and rear bench seats and a white vinyl roof to purchase my grandmother's 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator with a 351 Cleveland 4V motor because the buckets in the Eliminator weren't as comfortable.

Horse Divorce posted:

"Hero" is relative.

The hunter and the hunted :haw: yes I know it was a '71 Valiant

My childhood hero car at age 12 was the Viper. It had just come out, and I was so captivated by it I wrote a piece of fictitious screenplay with it as the centerpiece for a homework assignment.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
All the Bond cars, but especially this one:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This too. It just looked cool to kid me.

Handcranked
Aug 17, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxVVenA-q4M

Ever since dad dragged me with him to a rallycross here in Sweden in like the early 90's

Edit: Have some more screaming i5's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPytWpeFjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mggCR9YP6U

Handcranked fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 12, 2015

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

In my childhood home I had a next door neighbor with a black C3 Corvette that was free of even the tiniest speck of dust at any given moment. It was loud and had a small american flag whip antenna and was just so :911: it was all I knew of cool cars. I would not own one of these today. However the car that had so much hype built up around the release and would make my loins tingle as my eyes would gaze upon them in the wild will always be the Laguna Seca E46 M3

<3 :flashfap:<3:flashfap: <3

I think this car was so special because it was released about the time I turned 16 and started driving and was getting even more interested in cars. I would absodamnlutely have one today and vow to never rid myself from it. This would be after I get myself an E90 M3 though. I like to think that I will be able to find a good E46 M3 for a daily beater and the E90 for fair weather days and sell off the E36 M3. I occasionally get wild hairs and think that I should sell off the E36 M3 and bump up to an E46 that needs a little love and work as a stop gap before the E90. Pipe dreams and whatnot.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

VikingSkull posted:

I love that you can gauge posters ages by these to within 2 or 3 years

Guess how old I am

I probably wouldn't have one now, but if the opportunity came up I might still do it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
It was always a Cadillac. First the ecto one. Then the Cadillac in return of the living dead

Now I get to work on these cars on occasion. The childhood me would be envious. But working on old cars is a double edged sword.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
1967 Corvette Stingray 427.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MustardFacial posted:

Guess how old I am

I probably wouldn't have one now, but if the opportunity came up I might still do it.

a 454SS is my dream car, not my hero car though. my first car was an 82 Elky

leica posted:

c'mon man you gotta post the scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aMCzRj3Syg

Miami Vice was such a good show

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 13, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

VikingSkull posted:

a 454SS is my dream car, not my hero car though. my first car was an 82 Elky

The 70 was the only year that appealed to me, didn't like any of the others.

This is my dream car:

I would seriously kill a man for that thing

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

MustardFacial posted:

The 70 was the only year that appealed to me, didn't like any of the others.

This is my dream car:

I would seriously kill a man for that thing

I've seen a couple of Hakos pop up in the US over the past few years. Attainable now ;)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

BlackMK4 posted:

I've seen a couple of Hakos pop up in the US over the past few years. Attainable now ;)

The GT-Rs are totally unattainable, we're talking like six figure USD prices even inside Japan and parts availability is questionable of anything mildly hot.

A lot of guys are apparently cloning the non-GTRs into GT-Rs, which is fine in my book. Would love to have a Hakosuka or Kenmeri or Black Mask Skyline.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The GT-Rs are totally unattainable, we're talking like six figure USD prices even inside Japan and parts availability is questionable of anything mildly hot.

A lot of guys are apparently cloning the non-GTRs into GT-Rs, which is fine in my book. Would love to have a Hakosuka or Kenmeri or Black Mask Skyline.

Ahhh, poo poo, I didn't realize they were clones. :)

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

Ahhh, poo poo, I didn't realize they were clones. :)

Yeah I think they only made like 200 of the real ones or something. They're all a couple hundred grand, if you can find one.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I remember going crazy in Monterey during Concours D'Elegance when they were everywhere.

The blue Viper GTS with white racing stripes was a close second.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010
Ferrari 348

Porsche 944

Dodge Viper

Always my favourite toys as a kid, owned a die-cast or model for all of of these cars. Seriously considering getting a new Cayman GT4 or a 2015 Dodge Viper these days... The marketing starts at a young age!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ferrari Testarossa because had a puzzle of it that I completed and recompleted well over 100 times just because of the grooves on the door that I loved putting together.
3rd gen eclipse just for the go-fast grooves in the door.
Mitsubishi 3000gt
My brother's black '93 fox body (Can't remember if it actually was the cobra version or not, just that it was fast and my brother was cool as poo poo while driving it.)
And while its in the 13-15 range, the first gen RX-8 was the first new car I remember wanting.

Pretty much almost every car I wanted is loving terrible in some way, but looks cool and/or sounds awesome.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 13, 2015

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I was 10 when my dad brought home a promotional poster and 1:18 die cast model of the brand new 1992 dodge viper. Later that year some rich old dude would drive one through my neighborhood almost daily and me and the boys would all yell at him to floor it and do burnouts, all he'd do is rev it up though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Kinda surprised nobody has posted this one, but at the same time I guess I'm really not.

I had two hero cars as a kid, one of them was the Delorean that was already mentioned but the other was a simple, unassuming little VW Beetle.

The original Herbie the Love Bug was (and still is) one of my favorite movies, and I watched it enough to still quote from memory 20 years later (the less said about the sequels the better). I had a huge obsession with old ACVWs for years because of those movies, until someone told me how much money they cost now :(

I don't remember the movies at all but I do remember I loved Herbie as a kid.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
This is my childhood dream car if we are talking automotive insanity.

Sure isn't a daily though.
(for that I would love a fiat 8v or a AM DB4 zagato :v: )

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 13, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
My father used to drag me and my brother around scandinavia in an old rotten combicamper to watch rallycross and in the early mid 90s Martin Schanche was the king, so his Rs200 was my hero car. He was my hero and when i was 12 i got a ride around Vålerbanen (a rallycrosstrack in norway) with him because my father had just found out that my older brother had started smoking, and he wanted to show him that good poo poo happens to good boy and bad boys have to watch.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Tekne posted:

I remember going crazy in Monterey during Concours D'Elegance when they were everywhere.

The blue Viper GTS with white racing stripes was a close second.

Don't ever drive one. Either the Viper or Diablo.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I have two. One deeply shameful, one not so much.

and

GoodbyeTurtles
Aug 18, 2012

:suezo:

Uhhhh...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Oddly I wasn't really into cars until I could drive. But this is the first thing I remember lusting for.

I'd take one now but I would never seek one out to buy. They're heavy, not that fast and a total pain in the rear end to work on.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The first Matchbox/Hot Wheels car I remember having, the white with green stripes has stuck with me for almost 30 years.

I had a poster of one as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Why is there a hood scoop on the roof?

• Locked thread