Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I love me some wings. I have a few good recipes for deep fried wings but in an attempt to get a bit healthier and try different recipes, i've been experimenting with baked wings.

The types of recipes I try generally include marinating for ~8 hours then baking uncovered for various lengths of time. Sometimes I bake with the marinade, sometimes without.

The issue I'm having is, while i've had great baked sticky asian style wings, I cannot for the life of me re-produce them. In fact, every time I bake wings, they end up in fat slop.

Things ive tried :

Baking at hotter temps (200 - 220 celcius).

Baking on a rack - this actually worked kind of ok, but couldnt get any sort of sauce action

Baking with marinade - extra fat slop with colour

Baking with no marinade - clear fat slop

This should be simple but im about to give up.

Any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
All you need:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/the-best-baked-buffalo-chicken-wings-in-oven-not-fried-appetizers.html

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Baking Powder!? Ill give it a shot on the weekend.

Anyone have any idea if I should/shouldnt marinade the wings beforehand? I'm guessing I shouldn't but I want to...

Jizz it is
Dec 7, 2007

"what...oh...oh god..."
Baking wings are awesome, I do it most of the time, really.

I've recently tried frenching the chicken wings so that they are not only cleaner and more fun to eat, but they are amazing for dipping in different sauces.
I'd say try making a dip-sauce for it as well.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I bake wings all the time, I like crispy skins. I wash em off and pat em dry, then toss them in a flour mixture. Usually just flour, s+p, chili and cayenne powder, garlic powder and maybe whatever catches my eye from the spice cabinet.

Then bake em at 425 Fahrenheit (so about the temp you used) flipping after about 20 minutes and then baking for another 20 more until they got the right look. Then toss them with whatever buffalo sauce mixture I use, I like to use multiple types, usually with franks wing sauce as a base.

I don't think marinade will really do much. But I wanna try some baking powder or soda in my flour mix next time.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm gonna try no marinade with a baking powder/flour/spices coating.

We don't have a lot of the US sauces here for a base so I'll have to improvise.

Best wing sauces from scratch?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've taken to tossing mine with baking powder, corn starch and spices before baking. Gives a nice light crispiness to them.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

I am not sure of GWS's opinion on Alton Brown, but he did an episode of Good Eats where he steams his wings for 10 minutes and drying and cooling them in the fridge an hour before baking. I have done this ever since, and while it takes a bit more time, it is one of the better ways I have found to do baked wings.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

wisdomHNOX posted:

I am not sure of GWS's opinion on Alton Brown, but he did an episode of Good Eats where he steams his wings for 10 minutes and drying and cooling them in the fridge an hour before baking. I have done this ever since, and while it takes a bit more time, it is one of the better ways I have found to do baked wings.

We like most of his lessons but not his personal manner. Never meet your heroes.

Most US bbq sauces can be replicated quite faithfully with basic ingredients. And basic 'Buffalo' sauce is really just Frank's Red Hot and Worcestershire. You could substitute Tabasco in a pinch so long as you never tell anyone what you've done.

My favorite wing sauce is actually sweet'n'spicy. Here's a 'recepie' from "Emril' http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sweet-and-spicy-asian-wings-recipe.html

quote:

In a large saute pan set over medium-high heat, place the orange juice, pineapple juice, orange zest, garlic, ginger, green onion, sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and red pepper flakes. Bring the pan to a boil and stir occasionally until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup, about 18 to 20 minutes.

Except I use honey. Also, my apologies to the lovely country of "Asia".

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I like to toss them in a small amount of canola or other high heat oil, salt them, and throw them in the oven at 425F on a cooling rack set on a baking pan that is filled with water. The water prevents the drippings from smoking.

I don't dress mine until they're finished, because I like crunchy skin. Frank's or any other thin hot sauce mixed with melted butter works.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I liked this recipe except the wings came out realllly loving salty. I need to try them with 1/2 tbsp of salt next time and see how that works.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Suspect Bucket posted:

We like most of his lessons but not his personal manner. Never meet your heroes.

Most US bbq sauces can be replicated quite faithfully with basic ingredients. And basic 'Buffalo' sauce is really just Frank's Red Hot and Worcestershire. You could substitute Tabasco in a pinch so long as you never tell anyone what you've done.

My favorite wing sauce is actually sweet'n'spicy. Here's a 'recepie' from "Emril' http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/sweet-and-spicy-asian-wings-recipe.html

This one looks like what ill try. Also yeah, not sure which country in Asia the sticky wings I had were from, I think maaaaybe South Korea? They were red and had that kimchi-esque kind of acidity with a bit of cayenne.. I think.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Baxta posted:

This one looks like what ill try. Also yeah, not sure which country in Asia the sticky wings I had were from, I think maaaaybe South Korea? They were red and had that kimchi-esque kind of acidity with a bit of cayenne.. I think.

Ah, this might be more what you're looking for. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong

Honestly, sprinkling anything with toasted sesame seeds makes it better.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ah, this might be more what you're looking for. http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-dakgangjeong

Honestly, sprinkling anything with toasted sesame seeds makes it better.

Yeah similar to those but baked. I've found a recipe where the picture looks similar but I dont think that sauce is the same.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sticky-baked-chicken-wings.html

I think ill try to make those fried ones too though, they look ace.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

nwin posted:

I liked this recipe except the wings came out realllly loving salty. I need to try them with 1/2 tbsp of salt next time and see how that works.

Man, unless you're making enough wings for like convention hall a table spoon of salt is way too much. 1/2 tbs as well. I don't know how many wings you made, but I usually do like 2 or 3 pounds worth, and use like two or three pinches in my flour mixture.

A pinch a pound I guess? I've never eaten buffalo wings and gone "Man, I wish this had more salt."

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

boil em for a few minutes to get some of that fat off, then put them in the oven at 500 for 20 minutes. It will make some smoke so hide your smoke alarms.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Suspect Bucket posted:

Good thread, I'm actually trying oven baked wings for the first time this week. Going for a honey, soy, sesame combo for some, and some with a chilli/garlic or sriracha flavour.
Will incorporate some ideas into the recipes I already have.

I can't remember the recipe or whatever that suggested rice flour to add crispyness to something, but I have heaps of rice flour so will use that instead of cornflour as I'm out of that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 14, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do Chinese take-out places cook wings in a wok? Seems like that'd be so hot it'd burn the wings up before they cooked through.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Alton Brown's version works great:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/buffalo-wings-recipe.html#lightbox-recipe-video

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Do Chinese take-out places cook wings in a wok? Seems like that'd be so hot it'd burn the wings up before they cooked through.

Nah, they deep fry them.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
wise from your gwave!

I tried the alton brown method, and it was too much work honestly. I am really lazy, and they don't come out as crispy as they could, but they are still pretty crispy and they are very easy.

1) dry rub (i use brown sugar, garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, cayenne, cumin, and red pepper flakes)
2) non stick spray a cookie cooling rack inside a cookie sheet (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Bakers-Secret-1061483--16-Inch-Nonstick/dp/B00091PNTI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437537692&sr=8-1&keywords=cookie+rack)
3) bake at 425 for ~40 minutes, turning once

when it's nice out i only do 35 minutes in the oven and about 2 minutes per side on a hot as gently caress gas grill.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Made some wings the other day. Boiled them for about 10 minutes, put about 1/4 cup of vegetable oil in a cast iron pan and put them in the oven at 450 for almost 20 minutes, tossed them a couple times. Came out okay, if I were to do it again I'd think about a little flour or cornstarch

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
I used to fry and went to baking after reading how good they came out in the Wing Thread years ago. They really do come out great and the hardest part of making them is cleaning the baking rack.

I mix some flour, cayenne, garlic, pepper, old bay, whatever sounds good in a ziplok, shake em until coated and bake for ~45 mins at 400. If you brush sauce on at the end and crank the oven up to 450 for a little bit they come out sticky and delicious.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
When I do wings in the oven I like to throw them under the broiler, either the entire time or in the end to crisp up the skin.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Did the Serious Eats baked wing recipe in a small batch. A+ excellent. Rubbed some baking powder and salt directly on it on both sides in the morning, put in fridge. 450 20 min flip, 20 min.

Sauce was 1/2 homemade habanero-garlic hot sauce 1/2 Crystal hot sauce, hunk of brown sugar, butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made Asian-inspired wings this past weekend with a glaze made of honey, soy, grated ginger, garlic, rice wine, and angry lady sauce. Brushed it on a few times during baking. A+ would make again

• Locked thread