Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Feeling quite bummed out about it, however I don't have the job yet so it's a bit premature to get all emo about it. Besides, I can negotiate and if corporate refuses to budge then I can walk away.

You're ok in my book, DD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

My place has a standard policy for training/certification/courses/etc that you request that if you leave within x amount of time, you're on the hook for x% of the costs. From talking to others in the industry in my area/country, it's pretty standard.

I should probably clarify - I have no issues with the sentiment at all, I just think the time period that they want me 'on the hook' for is a bit long compared to the cost of the courses.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Time for a derail!

Didn't you say you'd be reporting to a guy who was a complete shitlord to you during the interview? Or am I thinking of someone else? That seems like it would be kind of a deal breaker combined with the weak salary.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just had an awesome interview, wish me goon luck. Before I got my ccna I struggled to ever get any responses but I've applied for maybe ten jobs in the last month and heard from 5 and interviewed with three.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Bigass Moth posted:

I just had an awesome interview, wish me goon luck. Before I got my ccna I struggled to ever get any responses but I've applied for maybe ten jobs in the last month and heard from 5 and interviewed with three.

Really need to get mine.

Good luck!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Daylen Drazzi posted:

PM was not a very happy camper, and feels that if that's the level of my competition for the position then I'm a shoe-in. Unfortunately, he also was told by corporate that they are probably going to try to get away with paying something close to what I already make. Add in no relocation assistance, as well as a 15% higher cost of living, and the job isn't looking so hot (even though it would give me the experience I need and want). Feeling quite bummed out about it, however I don't have the job yet so it's a bit premature to get all emo about it. Besides, I can negotiate and if corporate refuses to budge then I can walk away.

This could be an anchoring tactic. Standard advice applies, ignore it and come back with a number somewhat higher than you are actually targeting (you know, assuming they make you an offer).

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oh man. :laffo:

I'd been working on getting a proper backup system in place at work, and I had several vendors fighting each other for the best price. One of them dropped down from $130k to $55k (which says something about their margins), but told me the price expired on the 30th. I'm sure that was sales bullshit, but it's important for this tale.

I'm new at work, and my predecessor under-budgeted for this project. Management was expecting $10k, and that was just unrealistic for our environment, so I had to have a bunch of meeting explaining why we needed what we needed and why it was expensive (I finally got approval yesterday).

On the 30th, homeboy calls me all day, and I've been putting pressure on our CFO. CFO leaves early for the day, says "Sorry, but we need to discuss it further. I know they said pricing expires, but I'll be back Monday." I was fine with that, I understood it. I explained this to all the vendors, including homeboy.

But homeboy calls me again at about 7PM and asks if I can tentatively approve it so he can lock in the price. I said, "No, sorry, my CFO said I'm not authorized to do anything at all." He said he could have one of his partners buy it now at that price, and we could buy it from them, or he could give us a 30-day return policy. Again, "No, I can't, not allowed to!" He heard my kids in the background, even acknowledged that he was calling at an odd hour.

10:30PM. He calls me -again-. At this point, even if I found a bag of money and Jesus Christ Himself told me it was cool to go ahead with this, I would have told him no. That's just rude, calling me at 10:30 when you know I've got kids asleep.

Next day, prices are expired (or whatever - another vendor had said the same thing and then told me their CEO approved a 1-week extension), I sent an email to homeboy and said "Sorry, I know you did your best to get us this deal."

Today, nearly two weeks later, he calls me and asks how things are going with the project. I told him we went with a different vendor (one whose prices did not expire), and he started getting testy. "I thought we had a good relationship," he says. He's upset I didn't call him to give him another chance, even while saying the pricing did, in fact, expire. I told him that essentially I believed him when he told me the prices had expired on the 30th, and sorry but them's the breaks.

I figure that's that, and move on with my day.

Nope!

quote:

Hi Colonial Air Force,

After our phone call, I have to be honest, I'm disappointed. I felt like we both did everything we could at the end of last month to make things work towards a solution that benefitted us both. I asked you to move mountains and I moved mountains internally. I was under the impression that you and I had developed a good working relationship and were keeping each other in the loop.
Was there something that you I did that made you uncomfortable to reach out to me?

You explained to me a few weeks ago that [our company] was the technology of choice.

I enjoyed working with you throughout and thought we were going to reach our end goal. It must have been my miscommunication that I was under the impression you were going to reach out after your meeting.

I would still like to get this done, and would appreciate the opportunity to move [our] solution forward.

If I can find a way to keep the pricing the same as end of April, is there any way to get out of the [competitor] solution?

Thanks for the consideration.

[Homeboy]

I might reply with my own long, pointless email that explains that calling me at 10:30PM is annoying, and that when I tell people things like "the price expires", as an honest person, I mean it. Maybe he's not an honest person? And then close it out with "You're in sales, this is not the first nor the last time you will be rejected."

Alternatively, I might just reply with a "Deal With It" image macro.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
To be fair he probably called the revenue and didn't know there was competition. Prices do change regularly from disty.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He works in sales, surely the majority of responses are a no? The guy needs to stop taking corporate bureaucracy delaying deals to heart.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Had the same thing happen a few months ago. An "Account Administrator" called out of the blue to talk about our licensing renewal, and wanted to show me the new stuff they had on-hand for "future planning".

I'm under the impression he's arming me with the ammo necessary to make a decision when comparing him to competing products.

I have a call with him and a few Sales Engineers. Nifty stuff, but we're not in a position to invest. I thank everyone for their time and end the call.

Next day, our hardware sales vendor calls up sputtering about a $300,000 agreement and why wasn't he consulted and we never do this-

:what:

I tell him to immediately stop all this nonsense and get to the bottom of it. Thirty minutes later the "Account Administrator" blows my phone up, screaming about "Deceit", "Good working relationships", "I'd like to get paid too, ya know" and so forth.

I never signed anything, I never agreed to anything, and this guy was prepared to go full Big Trouble in Little China all over my voicemail.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
^^^ Good to know I'm not alone, at least.

Bigass Moth posted:

To be fair he probably called the revenue and didn't know there was competition. Prices do change regularly from disty.

Oh he knew there was competition, I told him upfront. That's why he dropped the price so much.

The deal was based on some money HP was kicking in for the hardware to get more HP gear out in the world, I guess? Who could tell?

Thanks Ants posted:

He works in sales, surely the majority of responses are a no? The guy needs to stop taking corporate bureaucracy delaying deals to heart.

Exactly.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Colonial Air Force posted:

I might reply with my own long, pointless email that explains that calling me at 10:30PM is annoying, and that when I tell people things like "the price expires", as an honest person, I mean it. Maybe he's not an honest person? And then close it out with "You're in sales, this is not the first nor the last time you will be rejected."

Alternatively, I might just reply with a "Deal With It" image macro.

How about, "Now, I don't want you to feel bad. It's not you, it's me; I don't like you."

I mean, if he's going to act like a clingy lover who just got dumped...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Email his supervisor and explain that this sales rep is making their company look bad and jeopardizing future business opportunities with your company. Not sending him to voicemail at 10:30 PM was the most polite you needed to be.

When vendors tell me the price is about to expire, I usually reply that the price isn't about to expire. So far, nobody has corrected me.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Just incase somebody didn't believe me.

I also found a bunch of cool stuff while cleaning out the server room today, which had an AC failure and went up to 40 celsius at one point.

What's this?

Christmas goodies bags from 2009.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Methanar posted:

Just incase somebody didn't believe me.

I also found a bunch of cool stuff while cleaning out the server room today, which had an AC failure and went up to 40 celsius at one point.

What's this?

Christmas goodies bags from 2009.

Jesus, are you in some weird remake of Land of the Lost? Did you fall down a waterfall and get sucked back in time?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't know but so far I'm a janitor/garbageman with domain admin.

I looked inside of a wiring closest today and the phone lines were a giant twisted ball maybe 10cm in diameter. I will not be touching it.

I guess I will be fighting a lot with an older guy who is actually pretty computer savvy and keeps his job interesting by loving up everything he touches and pretending to be braindead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I seriously would like to know the 1993 information technology strategy. Does it include "BUY BULK FLOPPIES" and "this World Wide Web thing sounds stupid"?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Dick Trauma posted:

I seriously would like to know the 1993 information technology strategy. Does it include "BUY BULK FLOPPIES" and "this World Wide Web thing sounds stupid"?

"Check out this 'Internet' thing."
"Upgrade to latest version of Banyan VINES."

e: who has the post it with the 1994 IT manager to do list?

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 13, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep terminators in stock.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where the hell do I download a X64 ISO of Windows 7 Pro? Digital River is gone and since I have a OEM Key I can't download it from Microsoft.

Ideas?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good primer for understanding vcenter/big boy virtualization and determining the proper number of cpu licenses to buy

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

Where the hell do I download a X64 ISO of Windows 7 Pro? Digital River is gone and since I have a OEM Key I can't download it from Microsoft.

Ideas?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery :greatgift:
Hopefully that works, I don't have any OEM keys

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Methanar posted:

I'll check it out tomorrow.

Does anyone have a good primer for understanding vcenter/big boy virtualization and determining the proper number of cpu licenses to buy

No, no-one does. the vendors will upsell you, the integrators will be confused, and the auditors will tell you that you got it wrong and need to buy more.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Roargasm posted:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery :greatgift:
Hopefully that works, I don't have any OEM keys

Yup, that's exactly what I went to but it doesn't work. :smith:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Would I be crazy to not follow up with a Google recruiter contacting me?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

RFC2324 posted:

What's the worst that could happen? You aren't interested?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I had the worst conversation with our new interim IT Director yesterday. He's an outside consultant and is only staying on long enough to point us in the right direction. I sat down with him to go over some basic planning and ended up walking away confused and rather pissed. Every time I would bring something up, like how our devs are using Docker/Linux, or that I'm looking at Juniper gear, he would go off on a tangent about TCO and if it wasn't on a Gartner report we shouldn't be running it. All his examples were based off companies 20, 50, 100 times our size with matching budgets. Don't get me wrong, he made some good points, but I'm just not used to having to defend everything I say. Thankfully he has a partner that I'm working directly with that knows him very well and backs my ideas. It seems the best way to deal with him is to push everything through his partner and only answer questions on a need to know basis. On a side note, our helpdesk guy is being driven insane by his micromanaging as they try to fix tier 1-3 support. Let's just hope I can stay off this guys radar. I can't think of the last time I had a meeting just backfire in my face like this before. It left me wondering if this was the right fit for me, but thankfully like I said, he's short term. It's still better then the last place 10 fold. His rant on why linux did not belong in our environment, jebus. :psyboom:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

I should probably clarify - I have no issues with the sentiment at all, I just think the time period that they want me 'on the hook' for is a bit long compared to the cost of the courses.

I've been told by HR directors that the whole pay back if you leave early thing is pretty unenforceable unless it's a significant amount of money the company has spent, for instance 4 years of college or something. Short of that in her words it's not worth going to court for and it's %100 not worth the risk of them withholding money from your last paycheck.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I'd bet a nickel that when you try to quit, the CEO pulls a Willy Wonka and pretends like it was all a big test and you're now being promoted to Senior Doormat with no additional pay. We'll hire more people one day I promise!

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 15, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vulture Culture posted:

When vendors tell me the price is about to expire, I usually reply that the price isn't about to expire. So far, nobody has corrected me.

You should ask them what a price smells like when it expires.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'd bet a nickel that when you try to quit, the CEO pulls a Willy Wonka and pretends like it was all a big test and you're now being promoted to Senior Doormat with no additional pay. We'll hire more people one day I promise!

I read that as "Senor Doormat." :mexico:

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I read that as "Senor Doormat." :mexico:

5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5 Senor MortgageDoormat! Today!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Docjowles posted:

Didn't you say you'd be reporting to a guy who was a complete shitlord to you during the interview? Or am I thinking of someone else? That seems like it would be kind of a deal breaker combined with the weak salary.

Apparently the guy oversees the personnel on the project, but he's actually located at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO. I'm thinking 1725 miles is enough of a buffer that I can deal with him if push comes to shove.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

the spyder posted:

I had the worst conversation with our new interim IT Director yesterday. He's an outside consultant and is only staying on long enough to point us in the right direction. I sat down with him to go over some basic planning and ended up walking away confused and rather pissed. Every time I would bring something up, like how our devs are using Docker/Linux, or that I'm looking at Juniper gear, he would go off on a tangent about TCO and if it wasn't on a Gartner report we shouldn't be running it. All his examples were based off companies 20, 50, 100 times our size with matching budgets. Don't get me wrong, he made some good points, but I'm just not used to having to defend everything I say. Thankfully he has a partner that I'm working directly with that knows him very well and backs my ideas. It seems the best way to deal with him is to push everything through his partner and only answer questions on a need to know basis. On a side note, our helpdesk guy is being driven insane by his micromanaging as they try to fix tier 1-3 support. Let's just hope I can stay off this guys radar. I can't think of the last time I had a meeting just backfire in my face like this before. It left me wondering if this was the right fit for me, but thankfully like I said, he's short term. It's still better then the last place 10 fold. His rant on why linux did not belong in our environment, jebus. :psyboom:

My boss got fired recently to get replaced with a new person who is willing to look at Google Hangouts and other bullshit on Wired and Popular Science because our CEO wants to use the latest and greatest hot new thing instead of the four already paid for, very expensive, tested and verified solutions to all his little nerd desires.

I'm afraid I'm going to be in the same pickle as you soon.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

the spyder posted:

he would go off on a tangent about TCO and if it wasn't on a Gartner report we shouldn't be running it

Congrats. You just got MBA'd.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Apparently the guy oversees the personnel on the project, but he's actually located at Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, CO. I'm thinking 1725 miles is enough of a buffer that I can deal with him if push comes to shove.

That's better :) Also, as a CO resident myself, the fact that said shitlord lives in the Springs is not surprising in the least.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Docjowles posted:

That's better :) Also, as a CO resident myself, the fact that said shitlord lives in the Springs is not surprising in the least.

My brother in law lives in co springs. He's a pretty big redneck.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

yes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

the spyder posted:

loving gartner

One of our customers got the idea that they should be getting 70-80% off list for their storage purchases because they heard it from Gartner, and now they are asking why we are only giving them 55% off in our most recent quotes. Outside of very special incentives to blow out inventory or loss leaders to saturate a market or bleed a competitor dry there is basically no hardware vendor that regularly discounts list to anywhere near that amount, but they read it in an article from Gartner and now refuse to believe that we aren't lying to them.

NetApp released an all flash version of the FAS product SKU last year, but Gartner would not qualify it as an All Flash Array for purposes of inclusion on their magic quadrant because it was not a "purpose-built" all flash system. So NetApp tweaked ONTAP to prevent you from connecting non SSD shelves to an all flash FAS and now Garner will include it on their magic quadrant. It is the same exact hardware and the same exact software, excepting the software lockout of expanding with non-SSD shelves, so it's actually a demonstrably worse product, but NetApp did it because if you must be in the canonized upper right quadrant to exist to a lot of (dumb) CTOs and CIOs.

Gartner is dumb as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

RFC2324 posted:

Even if they like you, expect a five-month process from first contact to hire. Google is insanely slow to move through the hiring process, and if you're looking to switch jobs, you can move a lot faster someplace else.