Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I pause near-constantly in combat because I try to play like a turn based, and the visual effects from spells make it a little difficult to tell who's where. Is there a way to turn those down any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
About possible enchantment implementations, quite many choices in this game is set in stone at the first decision making. At one point, the devs talked of PC respec but they seem to have changed their mind. Indeed, some people didn't seem to happy with the idea. Making in-word economy generous softens it to some extent but it takes time for the players to grasp in-world economy till they spend some time on the game, which can keep some of them hesitant before spending money on some costly choices. So, I asked for a system which allows the players to respec enchantment like The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky although some people seem to have mistaken the suggestion as if I were asking for the exact same system. I understand some people hate respecing in general but it would be nice if there are a middle ground area which let the players experiment a bit with no or low cost.

Leinadi posted:

I think the combat in the game still feels a bit repetitive and... well, I feel there could be less of it in many areas. So some of the main problems linger for sure, but yeah, if you find Hard too easy and *want* a harder challenge then I'd highly recommend trying the game out on PotD. To me, it feels like "how it's supposed to be played" basically.
I merely played on hard and even that, I'm yet to defeat one fight (I'm not willingly to do so, though). So, I'm unlikely to play on PotD but encounter variety is one of the areas that left something to be desired.

As for alternative lines for party member deaths or knock-downs, indeed, although I play with 0 knock-down policy, I couldn't but notice that party companions over-reacting at every single death of summons. However, alternative voice-overs won't come free. :(

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Pharmaskittle posted:

I pause near-constantly in combat because I try to play like a turn based, and the visual effects from spells make it a little difficult to tell who's where. Is there a way to turn those down any?

Yeah, I kinda wish the game was turn-based. Compared to Baldur's Gate, the number of abilities you need to trigger per combat is much higher - even the lowly fighter class gets a couple of knockdowns.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012

Gort posted:

Compared to Baldur's Gate, the number of abilities you need to trigger per combat is much higher - even the lowly fighter class gets a couple of knockdowns.
If you build it with high maintenance options, yes but if you don't like it, then, you should be able to just build it around with passive options.

Generally speaking, in this game, while micromanagement-related positioning is basically fixated on defenders/attackers divisions, or more plainly, tanking, the players are able to customize the extent of ability-based micromanagement much freely than the older IE games. IMHO, this latter characteristic lets the game feel more akin to turn-based game especially when we pause as we like while the former fixation on tanking probably made those who played the old games with constant positioning unhappy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I'd kill for some limited party AI that had them blow at least their encounter abilities on their own. Pretty sure the old Baldur's Gate games had a variety of AI scripts you could give your party.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Gort posted:

I'd kill for some limited party AI that had them blow at least their encounter abilities on their own. Pretty sure the old Baldur's Gate games had a variety of AI scripts you could give your party.

I'm truly not sure I'd actually use any AI scripts. I really want to be able to control which enemy I knockdown, or which area I slicken, etc, which might not always be the obvious ones. Plus I can already imagine the friendly fire incidents.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nycticeius posted:

I'm truly not sure I'd actually use any AI scripts. I really want to be able to control which enemy I knockdown, or which area I slicken, etc, which might not always be the obvious ones. Plus I can already imagine the friendly fire incidents.

The fun part is to write the scripts (at least for me). It's fun to take into account more and more conditions. I realize this is not a very common use case. I also realize people tend to say that playing with "bots" isn't the purpose of the game, and it's true, but writing bot AI is fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Gort posted:

During pre-release presentations it was something that Adam Brennecke specifically made reference to with regard to expansion improvements. But things may have changed.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Furism posted:

The fun part is to write the scripts (at least for me). It's fun to take into account more and more conditions. I realize this is not a very common use case. I also realize people tend to say that playing with "bots" isn't the purpose of the game, and it's true, but writing bot AI is fun.

In any case, for me, I suppose it'd depend on the type of AI available. There would be some situational conditions I'd love to have automated (like endurance regen spells on low endurance). I remember a mod that came out for Dragon Age Origins that greatly expanded upon the AI scripts available. Which was awesome.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Nycticeius posted:

In any case, for me, I suppose it'd depend on the type of AI available. There would be some situational conditions I'd love to have automated (like endurance regen spells on low endurance). I remember a mod that came out for Dragon Age Origins that greatly expanded upon the AI scripts available. Which was awesome.

Yes, I was thinking of this mode actually, although I'd prefer a more "text" than "UI" scripting approach I understand that's not for everyone.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, although I'm not a mod myself, it feels like mod task-I think (hope?) PoE managed to make enough denominator to keep decent mod base.

BTW, talking of the AI, does anybody have an idea on why the devs made the range of rods/wands 10m, which is shorter than 12 m or the range of (cross)bows while they indeed made the range of magic longer. This 2m contributes the back-row characters constantly break the formation by trying to reach their effective ranges, which obstinately requires routine-ish micromanagement at my end. AI evaluation between attack and formation may be nice but I've gotten an impression that this is probably solved simply by adjusting the ranges.

Nycticeius posted:

There would be some situational conditions I'd love to have automated (like endurance regen spells on low endurance). I remember a mod that came out for Dragon Age Origins that greatly expanded upon the AI scripts available. Which was awesome.
Slightly off topic but, is this the possible reason why Dragon Age: Inquisition removed the healer role? I haven't played the game but I understand the logic if many players find the healer task feels like a routine and chose to let the AI scripts do it.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Sea Otter posted:

Yeah, although I'm not a mod myself, it feels like mod task-I think (hope?) PoE managed to make enough denominator to keep decent mod base.

BTW, talking of the AI, does anybody have an idea on why the devs made the range of rods/wands 10m, which is shorter than 12 m or the range of (cross)bows while they indeed made the range of magic longer. This 2m contributes the back-row characters constantly break the formation by trying to reach their effective ranges, which obstinately requires routine-ish micromanagement at my end. AI evaluation between attack and formation may be nice but I've gotten an impression that this is probably solved simply by adjusting the ranges.

I don't have any numbers here to check, but my impression is that implements (at least with the right talents backing it) do comparable damage to crossbows without the whole reload hassle, that may be why their range is shorter. It's also why I always try to make my mage open the encounter with a per-encounter ability or a spell, then let the frontline engage before attacking with their implement. But it kinda ruins formations if not paid attention to, yeah.

Sea Otter posted:

Slightly off topic but, is this the possible reason why Dragon Age: Inquisition removed the healer role? I haven't played the game but I understand the logic if many players find the healer task feels like a routine and chose to let the AI scripts do it.

I haven't played Inquisition yet, but there are no healer roles? How is healing handled then? I always feel Bioware tries to streamline too much nowadays to bring RPGs to a mainstream audience. Perhaps their penance for their part in the THAC0 and reverse AC madness back in the day.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Sea Otter posted:

They removed the healer's role because DA:I is clearly a prototype for a future Dragon Age MMO and nobody likes to be a dedicated healer in a MMO. Which is dumb, you can make healing fun and rewarding, but the easy ( = more profitable) way is to just require no healer and make your game easier.

I think PoE has a good balance where you don't have to have a Priest, but it makes your life easier, is good for "oh poo poo!" situations and helps a ton with debuffs (which is indirect damage). It works because it's a single player game though I think, since you are not just bored debuffing then waiting for your Arquebuse reload animation.

I think it was Warhammer Online which had a nice healing mechanic where it was linked to a the damage of a Rogue-ish class, it was pretty cool. Also Lord of the Rings Online was great with mostly heals over time from the Minstrels or self-heals (Endurance in LotRO is "morale", when you have no fight left in you just give up and die ; cool concept).

E:

Nycticeius posted:

I haven't played Inquisition yet, but there are no healer roles? How is healing handled then? I always feel Bioware tries to streamline too much nowadays to bring RPGs to a mainstream audience. Perhaps their penance for their part in the THAC0 and reverse AC madness back in the day.

Limited healing potions, damage mitigation for the tank class, and regen between combats.

Furism fucked around with this message at 13:35 on May 13, 2015

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Furism posted:

I think it was Warhammer Online which had a nice healing mechanic where it was linked to a the damage of a Rogue-ish class, it was pretty cool. Also Lord of the Rings Online was great with mostly heals over time from the Minstrels or self-heals (Endurance in LotRO is "morale", when you have no fight left in you just give up and die ; cool concept).
I had a lot of fun with my Warrior Priest in WHO. One of the specs basically revolved around putting off bursts of healing every time you hit an enemy (which also regenerated your mana for single-target heals-over-time or long-cooldown quick heals) and you basically had a fun hybrid off-tank/decent-damage/constant healing class, and you could switch between those three roles fairly well. That spec got a lot weaker at higher levels, but it was a lot of fun in the middle. Think melee cipher with an AoE heal-on-hit effect and a priest's spell selection and you've got a good idea of how it played.

Nycticeius posted:

I haven't played Inquisition yet, but there are no healer roles? How is healing handled then?
Mages can cast a shield on allies that decays semi-rapidly but provides a bank of extra hitpoints that has to be removed before you can damage health. Practically speaking, if you have a "mage", they're going to heal by replacing the barrier and any damage to actual health indicates that you hosed up. Fighters can also generate a non-decaying set of armor on themselves that has to be removed before any damage goes to health. Saying it doesn't having healing isn't quite accurate if you assume that "full health" is actually "full health + barrier" which it really should be. Actual health can also be healed by limited-use healing potions. Its not a bad system but there are still classes, especially in multiplayer, that play basically identically to healbots in other MMOs.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
@Nycticeius
I think you are right. In any case, it's one of the occasions where I feel the AI is plotting against me. ;)

@Furism
Thank you. Since I haven't played DA;I, I was wondering if the motivation was genuine or not. Well, I'm glad I supported this project. And yeah, PoE priests are basically for support, which can change the tide both subtly or directly rather than just healing.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
DAI is nice if you just play it on Easy and as an Action RPG. Even then it's a very bad Mass Effect Fantasy and even worse God of War, gameplay wise. The story is nice, I guess.

It's really bad as a Tactical RPG because of the lovely (and I do mean awful steaming pile of poo poo) camera. Maybe they patched this though.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Mages can cast a shield on allies that decays semi-rapidly but provides a bank of extra hitpoints that has to be removed before you can damage health. Practically speaking, if you have a "mage", they're going to heal by replacing the barrier and any damage to actual health indicates that you hosed up. Fighters can also generate a non-decaying set of armor on themselves that has to be removed before any damage goes to health. Saying it doesn't having healing isn't quite accurate if you assume that "full health" is actually "full health + barrier" which it really should be. Actual health can also be healed by limited-use healing potions. Its not a bad system but there are still classes, especially in multiplayer, that play basically identically to healbots in other MMOs.

That actually sounds interesting, to be honest. It's a new approach, at least - not unlike the basic theory behind endurance/health in PoE, even if the implementation is different.

Sea Otter posted:

@Nycticeius
I think you are right. In any case, it's one of the occasions where I feel the AI is plotting against me. ;)

I can get behind your words, trust me. Having my Rogue with a Blunderbuss and my tanks with Arbalests/Arquebuses sometimes means he gets way too closer than he needs be at first, while they're chillin' at the back. Truth be said, it's one of the reasons why I know I love this game - same as I love the old IE-games - I keep shouting things like "goddamn it, not again you stupid copperfuckers" when they do stupid poo poo like that, while enjoying myself greatly in the thick of things!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Furism posted:

They removed the healer's role because DA:I is clearly a prototype for a future Dragon Age MMO and nobody likes to be a dedicated healer in a MMO. Which is dumb, you can make healing fun and rewarding, but the easy ( = more profitable) way is to just require no healer and make your game easier.

I think PoE has a good balance where you don't have to have a Priest, but it makes your life easier, is good for "oh poo poo!" situations and helps a ton with debuffs (which is indirect damage). It works because it's a single player game though I think, since you are not just bored debuffing then waiting for your Arquebuse reload animation.
The marketing preview line was to open up party permutations because people felt DAO parties were inextricably linked to Wynn or Morrigan and DA2 parties to Anders, Bethany, or Merrill. There were enough herbs to be a potion chugging addict, and the utility stuff mages come with in those DA games is all better than healing anyway making the party choice argument by healing somewhat spurious, so those perceptions aren't necessarily true. That makes the tough part to get the feels right with having healing available but gameplay tuned to not require since they were already there at the default difficulties in those games.

I feel like PoE hit the mark better with endurance and health since I knew where I stood with the system after some prodding in the tutorial and early game, where DA:I immediately internalized as the system ripped from the Mass Effects but never really panned out until midgame when you know enough to abuse it to never take health damage on normal difficulty.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Furism posted:

DAI is nice if you just play it on Easy and as an Action RPG. Even then it's a very bad Mass Effect Fantasy and even worse God of War, gameplay wise. The story is nice, I guess.

It's really bad as a Tactical RPG because of the lovely (and I do mean awful steaming pile of poo poo) camera. Maybe they patched this though.

Because I don't care about combat at all I really enjoyed DA:I. Definitely the best character roster an RPG has had in absolutely ages - I enjoy characters who are annoying because of how they are and you cannot change their mind and suddenly make them nice. It's interesting.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I had a big problem with the writing and dialogue in the game. It's needlessly expository. And with such expository dialogue, you forfeit the ability to deepen the world in implicit ways.

Imagine if you were to talk to an early modern British farmer about Jesus. Do you expect him to respond with:

"Jesus also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth, is the central figure of Christianity, whom the teachings of most Christian denominations hold to be the Son of God. Christianity regards Jesus as the awaited Messiah (or "Christ") of the Old Testament and refers to him as Jesus Christ, a name that is also used in non-Christian contexts."

I would think not. But a lot of the exposition regarding many different things is like that, more so nearer the end. It's disappointing because the game didn't start off like that. At the beginning you could glean contextual information regarding the society and culture, but when dialogue got really expository and bland, that was not the case.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

zedprime posted:

The marketing preview line was to open up party permutations because people felt DAO parties were inextricably linked to Wynn or Morrigan and DA2 parties to Anders, Bethany, or Merrill. There were enough herbs to be a potion chugging addict, and the utility stuff mages come with in those DA games is all better than healing anyway making the party choice argument by healing somewhat spurious, so those perceptions aren't necessarily true. That makes the tough part to get the feels right with having healing available but gameplay tuned to not require since they were already there at the default difficulties in those games.

Yes I guess I left that part out. All the characters are :allears: adorable :allears: so everybody wants to play with all of them, so that means none of them can be absolutely required in a party. I guess I'm just too used to having to have a healer/proper support to not view this as typical fan service at the cost of gameplay. I'm still convinced the actual, unadmitted real reason is the multiplayer/future MMO part.

I think you are correct when you say PoE's health mechanism works better.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Taear posted:

Because I don't care about combat at all I really enjoyed DA:I. Definitely the best character roster an RPG has had in absolutely ages - I enjoy characters who are annoying because of how they are and you cannot change their mind and suddenly make them nice. It's interesting.

I didn't care about the combat in DA:I except that it was a dull slog to get through it so I could do the next bit of talking.

Now, if you made an RPG with the combat of Revengeance and Bioware-style dialogue... that would be something.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Merdifex posted:

I had a big problem with the writing and dialogue in the game. It's needlessly expository. And with such expository dialogue, you forfeit the ability to deepen the world in implicit ways.

Imagine if you were to talk to an early modern British farmer about Jesus. Do you expect him to respond with:

"Jesus also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth, is the central figure of Christianity, whom the teachings of most Christian denominations hold to be the Son of God. Christianity regards Jesus as the awaited Messiah (or "Christ") of the Old Testament and refers to him as Jesus Christ, a name that is also used in non-Christian contexts."

I would think not. But a lot of the exposition regarding many different things is like that, more so nearer the end. It's disappointing because the game didn't start off like that. At the beginning you could glean contextual information regarding the society and culture, but when dialogue got really expository and bland, that was not the case.

Yeah, I think that's part of what made the whole godhammer concept so interesting. It felt like they kind of kept adding little bits of information until you found out, "whoa they detonated one of their gods with A BOMB"

In other news, I'm starting to question the wisdom of doing all of endless paths in one go.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For as much flak as wizards received in the patching of this game, I feel like it's the one class I cannot play PotD difficulty without at this point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sensuki posted:

The first one was a real review, whether you like it or not and ... his review looks to be cancelled as he stopped playing the game.

Decado might be doing it instead.

Please stay on RPGCodex instead of posting links to threads full of insane idiots who don't even realize the backer NPCs weren't written by Obsidian.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

precision posted:

Please stay on RPGCodex instead of posting links to threads full of insane idiots who don't even realize the backer NPCs weren't written by Obsidian.

I have never even heard of RPGCodex before this, and after reading just the page that was linked, I wish I hadn't.

"PoE Apologists"? Really?

Some kids get really, really butthurt over a game not matching their pre-conceived expectations. The vitriol in that thread in amazing.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 13, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually it did match his pre-conceived expectations. He hates real time RPGs and was asked to do a review. When he quit the game, he got trolled in that thread. That's basically all it is.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah, I think that's part of what made the whole godhammer concept so interesting. It felt like they kind of kept adding little bits of information until you found out, "whoa they detonated one of their gods with A BOMB"

That's like the first thing Eder tells you.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I just got to the part where I have to pray and earn a God's favor, how many hours of game do I have left if I strictly progress the main quest?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

precision posted:

IIRC they were written by Obsidian, to story cues provided from backers about what sort of unique butterfly godlike they wanted to be.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Mystic Stylez posted:

I just got to the part where I have to pray and earn a God's favor, how many hours of game do I have left if I strictly progress the main quest?

I didn't do poo poo all in Twin Elms (didn't like that place much), and went straight for the quest after I got it. I'd say, including that quest, that it took me about two more hours to finish.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Depends on what god quest you end up doing, but not much. You can go to the final dungeon directly afterwards.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

precision posted:

Jesus, who cares. A review six weeks after the game has released and a month after I've finished it isn't going to change my perception of the game.

Codex is gonna Codex.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Rascyc posted:

For as much flak as wizards received in the patching of this game, I feel like it's the one class I cannot play PotD difficulty without at this point.

Yeah, wizards have the best AoE debuffs and CC while also bringing good damage and defensive self-buffs when needed.
Druids have the best straight nuking power but that's replaceable.
Priests have the best defensive buffs and heals, I find them pretty hard to do without as well.
Ciphers are kind of a jack of all trades where they have strong spell options for most everything but are gated by Focus generation (which is much more sensible after the last couple patches). They're still a powerful class but frankly replaceable with other casters.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think I could swing without a priest if I brought along a second wizard :getin: but probably not for the hardest boss fights

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Priests should be considered completely optional on Normal. You could say that about any class, obviously, but the inner grognard that we all have whether we want to admit it or not insists on Priests, when in reality they're a "win more" party member. About 1/4 through my first run I stopped casting buffs for most fights and noticed that it made almost no difference in my party steamrolling people. I just gave Durance a really good gun. In almost all fights it's perfectly acceptable to let your guys go unconscious rather than heal them anyway. The guys who need to be alive (tank, damage dealer) can use potions if things get hairy anyhow.

Basically the unique role that Priests fill is just unnecessary. Bring a Druid (or "another Druid") instead, they're a lot more fun.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I have never even heard of RPGCodex before this, and after reading just the page that was linked, I wish I hadn't.

"PoE Apologists"? Really?

Some kids get really, really butthurt over a game not matching their pre-conceived expectations. The vitriol in that thread in amazing.

They're frankly a bunch of idiots. Bigotry is rampant on that forum. Whatever they say per the gameplay of PoE is also of little value.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I played the game and finished it right after launch, and haven't played it since. For posterity's sake, can someone confirm whether that getting the favor of all the gods, and promising all of them what they want, actually gives you more assistance / souls during the final quest, or does it do nothing and just angers the gods during the end?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Merdifex posted:

They're frankly a bunch of idiots. Bigotry is rampant on that forum. Whatever they say per the gameplay of PoE is also of little value.

From reading that thread, I see that their ":kfc:" emote summons a .gif of a black man dancing and eating chicken and that their version of "liking" a post is a "Brofist".

Also that Sensuki "doesn't have time" to write a review, yet does "have time" to post 7,000+ times on RPGCodex forums. :dogbutton:

e: VVVVV Hold-Wall doesn't have the "fine" enchantment :ms:

precision fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
In the spreadsheet I'm looking at arbalests do 22- 32 damage. Sure enough in game this is what the hold-wall's description says it does too. But the normal fine arbalests have a base damage of 25- 37 according to the tooltip. Is this correct? It seems like I'd be better off just maxing out normal arbalests than enchanting the hold-wall.

• Locked thread