Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished the first season of Broadchurch. Incredibly well done crime drama, also I didn't see the (many) twists coming!

Not a bad performance among the cast and man was this show gut wrenching, I swear I was on the point of tears multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Take my advice and don't bother with season 2

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Regy Rusty posted:

Take my advice and don't bother with season 2

I agree with this. While it's difficult to give up on a second season of a good show, it's just not worth it and watching it will tarnish the memory you have of season 1. Is it still beautiful and well acted? Yes, but the writing goes straight down the toilet.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I had a feeling that would be the case without a murder investigation to frame it, thanks for the advice

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
On an absolute binge of Vikings.

This show is DELIGHTFUL. Up to the fourth episode of season 2.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
I found Vikings to get a little uneven as it goes on, but the early stuff is pretty great.

I'm currently on a Buffy binge since it was recommended in this thread and man this show is so so good. The first season was kinda rough and painful to watch in places but I'm glad I did as now I'm in the middle of S3 and I can see the vast improvements and why people love this show so much. I'll have to take a break soon with exams and the Witcher 3 coming up but I do plan to watch Buffy and Angel side by side come BS4/AS1.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buffy is the very definition of uneven.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Lost Girl - I've just started season two. It's been good fun so far.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching Lost Girl - I've just started season two. It's been good fun so far.

Episode 2x9 is a cracker.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just blew through Party Down thanks to this thread. What a shame this one didn't take off, as it's loaded with great comedians.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shadow posted:

On an absolute binge of Vikings.

This show is DELIGHTFUL. Up to the fourth episode of season 2.

I just started season 3 and I'm still enjoying it a lot. It's a solid B+ show IMO. The battle scenes start to get really impressive as it goes on. They looked pretty pathetic in the earlier episodes.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I just started season 3 and I'm still enjoying it a lot. It's a solid B+ show IMO. The battle scenes start to get really impressive as it goes on. They looked pretty pathetic in the earlier episodes.

I almost never comment on battle scenes but I actually did yesterday when telling someone about the show. They really are fantastic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mu Zeta posted:

The battle scenes start to get really impressive as it goes on. They looked pretty pathetic in the earlier episodes.

In terms of numbers maybe, but the choreography and general entertainment value/awesomeness of them has been top notch from the very first one. In fact the first one is probably my favourite, at least until (minor spoiler of a fairly predictable S3 event) the siege of Paris.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Finally got round to watching Always Sunny in Philadelphia, it's everything that was promised of it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm through a couple episodes of Our World War and so far it is very good.

It follows English troops in World War I. A similar vibe to Band of Brothers in that it shows more than just the battles and gets into personal lives a bit. Obviously doesn't come close to BoB but nothing does.

Worth a watch if you like war films.

Edit: Guess it's only 3 episodes. Wish it were longer. Decent and at 3 episodes not too much of a commitment.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 7, 2015

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Scrapez posted:

I'm through a couple episodes of Our World War and so far it is very good.

It follows English troops in World War I. A similar vibe to Band of Brothers in that it shows more than just the battles and gets into personal lives a bit. Obviously doesn't come close to BoB but nothing does.

Worth a watch if you like war films.

Edit: Guess it's only 3 episodes. Wish it were longer. Decent and at 3 episodes not too much of a commitment.

Thank you, I'll try to pick this up. I'm so hard up for a good binge that I'm watching Taxi (that American tv show from the late seventies).

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Ha. I saw that on Netflix and just assumed it was a digitally remastered documentary.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I'm amazed there isn't a thread up yet about Scrotal Recall. I haven't seen much of Netflix's own programming but it's the best I've ever seen from the company. The writing is goddamn brilliant, the actors sell it well and the way the show approaches its central conceit is downright refreshing. I'd start one of my own, but *phone posting*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not to be that guy, but it's not their original programming. It's a British series they bought the rights to in the US and they brand all that stuff as Netflix Originals.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished season one of Him & Her

pretty good! they are both massive grubs but it's pretty drat honest about real couple interaction, one of the episodes the gf and I were like "holy poo poo that was us today"

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Bown posted:

Not to be that guy, but it's not their original programming. It's a British series they bought the rights to in the US and they brand all that stuff as Netflix Originals.

I had no idea. Thanks for clarifying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bowmore posted:

Just finished season one of Him & Her

pretty good! they are both massive grubs but it's pretty drat honest about real couple interaction, one of the episodes the gf and I were like "holy poo poo that was us today"

It's such a good show. Heads up, there's actually 3 seasons, but the third one isn't on Netflix.

Laura is one of the most awful protagonists in history.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

It's such a good show. Heads up, there's actually 3 seasons, but the third one isn't on Netflix.

Laura is one of the most awful protagonists in history.

There are four including the final "Wedding" series.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Finished "24: Live Another Day" and really enjoyed it, great ending too. That said, for context I went back and re-watched part of Season 1 and I don't think I could ever re-watch this series knowing what happens to Jack Bauer. Seeing him with his wife and daughter lounging around in his sweats in the first episode made me realize the whole show is basically "24 - watch one man's life get completely and utterly destroyed over the course of a decade!"

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 13, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going through Bones since it's apparently the one procedural on Netflix I haven't consumed and it is seriously the most schizophrenic show. On the one hand the bodies they find and probe are some of the most disgusting I've ever seen on network television, and this is going back literally 10 years. On the other hand, they have kooky lab techs that they seemingly swap out every other episode and a lot of the show's characters feel like they're written to be "smart" rather than actually being smart (the number of technobabble scenes are countless).

And this isn't even getting into the protracted romance aspect between the two leads.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

computer parts posted:

I'm going through Bones since it's apparently the one procedural on Netflix I haven't consumed and it is seriously the most schizophrenic show. On the one hand the bodies they find and probe are some of the most disgusting I've ever seen on network television, and this is going back literally 10 years. On the other hand, they have kooky lab techs that they seemingly swap out every other episode and a lot of the show's characters feel like they're written to be "smart" rather than actually being smart (the number of technobabble scenes are countless).

And this isn't even getting into the protracted romance aspect between the two leads.

Yeah it takes a couple seasons to really hit its stride but it gets really good.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not sure I'd ever describe Bones as good. It's entertaining to a degree, when it isn't being mind-numbingly dumb, or horribly horribly right-wing. But there's just too much stupidity going on at any given time.

Also the actress who played Angela was a black hole of charisma.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I agree, Angela is a pain to watch. I am kinda surprised it has been going for so long, but I enjoy the campiness of it.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I am going through Bones right now. I had a question, what do you mean but really really right wing? Not saying I necessarily disagree I am just bad at picking that kind of stuff up.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
I just "binged" Mr. Sloane yesterday. Too bad it was cancelled, I really enjoyed the first season and would recommend it to most UK tv comedy fans. It stars Nick Frost and has a bunch of other greats in it, like Olivia Colman

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I am going through Bones right now. I had a question, what do you mean but really really right wing? Not saying I necessarily disagree I am just bad at picking that kind of stuff up.

They mean the show has multiple geniuses on it but they're all white.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Booth has some "our troops" and other cop stuff, but that's about it. What I noticed more is the hilarious anti-GMO screeds that pop up randomly (We have to buy this $9 applesauce, it's all natural with no chemicals!).

Oh also Booth is Catholic but they handle that more tastefully than most programs do.

I did realize the other day that Brennan is basically Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Bones was particularly interesting at first because I can't help but love a ten years ago David Boreanas, and also the only atheist character on television at that time that I know about. It's actually not a bad show if you don't mind the motw procedural stuff, and there is a bit greater depth to some of the characters, except loving Angela. Screw Angela. Even making a member of zz top her dad still couldn't save her. Then like I dunno 5-6 seasons in it got stupid, like when Brennan has a baby in a manger there is actually a later episode than you'd expect that made me cry. The only one.

Buffy is the definition of something I refused to watch until someone made me do it, and it gets exponentially better, more expensive, more thoughtful and more adult as it goes on and you really get stuck watching it. And I'm glad I did. "The body" is something that has never been done on tv before and will probably never be done again.

On a lighter note, I've been binging stargate Atlantis. I know that I watched it when it was on, but my memory of it seems kind of vague and I'm not QUITE done, but it has occurred to me constantly how much they basically completely gently caress up an entire other Galaxy :lol: so the current system is kind of crap, but it's an ecologically stable kind of thing, where the wraith wake up every hundred years and eat some people and go back to sleep, then we go out there, awaken all wraith at once, like thousands of extra humans are getting eaten, then they help perfect a drug that makes people who get eaten kill the wraith, but it kills 50% of the people that take it, so there's like another 100k down.

Then they find and reprogram the Pegasus replicators (who previously didn't do poo poo) to kill wraith but they decide killing their food source is much easier so then there's like another million human down before they fix that one. Then their changing a wraith to human experiment goes wrong and he escapes only to make a bunch of weird monsters who kill a ton of people, THEN he perfects the anti wraith drug so only %30 percent of humans die when they take it and distributes it without their consent. THEN he makes some hybrids out of humans who all die also.

It's just really funny to watch this second time, because the Atlantis team basically destroys an entire galaxy and I'm sure it ends well, it I'm only on half way though season 5, the last season. It's just really hard to justify their interference when they've killed like millions of people lol. Not including some random episodes were different aliens all die. :laffo:

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah I see that about the Bones, but every time Boothe has a problem with how Brennan treats religion it usually seemed to make him look like the dumb one, which doesn't bother me but never really seemed right wing. The only episode I didn't like was the one where the guy was killed on the grave of the ex basketball player or whatever and everyone got mad at Hodgins for talking about military conspiracy stuff or whatever. I mean I understand that most people think he's just a loud mouth with it but gently caress it he's allowed to have his opinions and everyone treated him like an rear end in a top hat.

rosewood
May 7, 2004
Shockaholic
I finally broke down and watched Orange is the New Black. The hype was strong on this one but I feel like the show earned it. But now I feel like I felt when I binged to catch up on Breaking Bad -- now I'm sucked into to a character I just don't like but I want to see awful things happen to.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been watching Married with Children on TBS since they just started the series over. I only watched it sporadically when it was first aired. In the early episodes, Al & Peg actually cared for each other and Al willingly had sex with Peg.

While the antics of the Bundys seem tame by today's standards, it was pretty raunchy by 1987 standards.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Ray Donovan.

As a Bostonian it just tickles my fancy. :)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've been watching Married with Children on TBS since they just started the series over. I only watched it sporadically when it was first aired. In the early episodes, Al & Peg actually cared for each other and Al willingly had sex with Peg.

While the antics of the Bundys seem tame by today's standards, it was pretty raunchy by 1987 standards.

There was one episode of the series that originally went unaired because of its content, I'll See You in Court. It's aired in the past few years and if you didn't know television standards of the era, you'd scratch your head at how the content could be considered over the top. The most famous episode of those years had Steve and Al at a lingerie shop for a few minutes and brought on a letter campaign, though stirred mostly by a single person.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

RC and Moon Pie posted:

There was one episode of the series that originally went unaired because of its content, I'll See You in Court. It's aired in the past few years and if you didn't know television standards of the era, you'd scratch your head at how the content could be considered over the top. The most famous episode of those years had Steve and Al at a lingerie shop for a few minutes and brought on a letter campaign, though stirred mostly by a single person.

She accomplished nothing other than boosting the ratings. They also made fun of her in a couple of episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

rosewood posted:

I finally broke down and watched Orange is the New Black. The hype was strong on this one but I feel like the show earned it. But now I feel like I felt when I binged to catch up on Breaking Bad -- now I'm sucked into to a character I just don't like but I want to see awful things happen to.

If it's any consolation, new series is in 3 weeks, and terrible things will probably happen to Piper.