Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Yes, that could and may be true or it's someone in poor mental health and needs actual attention from a medical professional?

Sickening and I pretty much only agree on food, but we kinda also agree on this.

Not that that person wasn't in poor mental health and needed attention from a medical profession, but that sometimes pillorying someone who's at the extreme end of a stance can demonstrate principles, like a roundabout way to tell other people in this thread (or reading it) that you shouldn't take abuse from your employer, and that the time you've invested in that relationship isn't wasted if you just walk away (because you still got the work experience), and that even if you think you're irreplaceable (you're not) and the business will collapse without you (it won't), it's still ok to leave.

There are too many people in this thread and this industry who are utterly incapable of delegating tasks because they fear that handing away any responsibility means eroding whatever kingdom they've built for themselves, so they end up being the primary guy responsible for... everything.

An early warning for people who aren't yet in poor mental health can sometimes be a wake-up call for readers, and establishing normal boundaries is an important part of abuse recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

It is almost like this person saw a medical professional and also ignored their advice as well to a point.

This is exactly what happened, and I have to remind myself these people exist

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Sickening posted:

It doesn't and I haven't. :iiam:

No, but DH did exactly that and sure I'm not a recruiter and maybe he has seen a common thread among a certain group but for the most part there's plenty of crazy that goes all around.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

Millennials notwithstanding (since I don't think they're any better/worse than anybody else), all of the threads in SH/SC have some kind of bias where "real life experience" translates to "the man is trying to gently caress you, so gently caress him first", "attachment to your job is being a goon in a well", or "here's how loving important I am, so you should try to follow in my footsteps", despite the fact that almost none of us would act this way in real life.

It's like weird internet tough guy syndrome where the oppressed, antisocial IT guy has delusional power fantasies, and the amount of "you should tell your employer X" (with the obvious subtext that the poster would never have the balls to say that, and hopefully has enough social awareness not to even if they have the spine) is inane.

It's harder to give relatively nuanced advice about how to get ahead. There's a definite middle ground between game theory and being a doorstop that you can navigate to get to a job where you're happy, doing interesting stuff, and don't have horrible expectations set on your or PTSD from getting there. But it's easier to pretend that the world is a nasty, brutish, dog-eat-dog place and you can only get ahead by doing that.

I'd wager that many of the goons here who don't "require coddling" actually do in real life. Nothing wrong with that. But the :spergin: rants people go on when they have to justify their decisions is just at odds with our position in the business and how it works.

I am not a *nix person so I haven't quite understood when you go into *nix speak, and while there is a definite sharp edge to your personal/career advice, this should be stickied to this and all future incarnations of this thread.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

When someone expresses their severe professional problems - even excessively - I don't see how you would equate that to a generational issue.

It doesn't and I haven't. :iiam:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MJP posted:

I am not a *nix person so I haven't quite understood when you go into *nix speak, and while there is a definite sharp edge to your personal/career advice, this should be stickied to this and all future incarnations of this thread.

no it shouldn't

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

no it shouldn't

Believe me, I don't like agreeing with evol either, and I've nodded more at your posts than his, but he strikes a few good points:

-It's not easy to just up and tell your employer to gently caress off or to put themselves at risk by doing what is correct to us and to common sense but construed as contrary to what the Powers that Be want. Not everyone has the ability to ride out extended periods of unemployment, even if they meet their state's criteria for claiming unemployment.
-There's so many degrees of variation in advising someone's career and there's gotta be a convergence between the hypothetical and just sucking it up and BE THANKFUL FOR ANY JOB IN THIS ECONOMY. True, there's a very real need to leverage your current job to make a vertical move into another job elsewhere, usually not with the same employer, but in the right (very rare, but possible) environment it's entirely possible for an employee to be rewarded by their employer (again, rare)
-You can't tell me with a straight face that we all - myself included - have some Internet Tough Guyism in them or their posts at some point in time
-It's loving OK to require coddling if you're legit in a poo poo situation like our Aussie comrade, or if you're in a really bag place. I would posit that asking for coddling in SA is the wrong place and this is where healthy interpersonal relationships or enough dollars for hookers comes into play.

Again, I'll be honest: I don't like being in Internet Arguments and thus haven't gotten involved, and I consider my point put forth with this post, so as such I haven't really spoken up against evol's past posts, but credit where credit is due, I do agree with his post here.

MJP fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 13, 2015

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

So is everyone on even remotely IT related jobs just miserable? Is there such a thing as a 'it gets better' PSA?
A little over a year ago I was transitioning from the military and living in MI. The IT market in MI was ok compared to much of the US but not even comparable to CA. This company is great but I was still worried about having to move back to MI and wanted to have a good year of emergency savings so I only took a few days of vacation last year. Instead made a lot of day trips around the bay area. Took two weeks off in Feb to go to Disney and see some family on the east coast. Taking a week(4 days because of memorial day) off this month and still have plenty to look forward to this year. My advice would be to take care of yourself first and make sure your short term decisions allow you to reach your long term goal. Live close to where you work or spend most of your time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Tab8715 posted:

No, but DH did exactly that and sure I'm not a recruiter and maybe he has seen a common thread among a certain group but for the most part there's plenty of crazy that goes all around.

Then why did you say I did? Did you really just edit out your original post and replace it with a reply to a post I made after?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I blame Fruit Stripe for all of this

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It feels like GBS in here all of a sudden

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Let's all be friends, guys

I'm just waiting for that one dude to come back and tell us that he's going to give his employer another 2 months to replace him

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

ElGroucho posted:

I'm just waiting for that one dude to come back and tell us that he's going to give his employer another 2 months to replace him

He's gotta stay another month to train the guy too. Even if the guy knows more.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I hope he's at the beach drinking a cold one instead of posting in this thread.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

We all know that there is no replacement.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The Fool posted:

We all know that there is no replacement.

I'm pretty sure that he's actually the CEO and he's just bipolar and he's just having a conversation with his subconscious.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I blame Fruit Stripe for all of this
Seriously what have I done

Fine, I think it was Happyfish, is everyone happy? Now stop tearing each other apart, oh my god

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I hope he's at the beach drinking a cold one instead of posting in this thread.

He's Aussie so he's probably putting shrimps on barbies

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

MJP posted:

He's Aussie so he's probably putting shrimps on barbies

Sausage sizzle

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hanging out with Cheech Marin

High fivin' a wallaby

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wearing a cork hat.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Drinking a XXXX...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
In other news:

gently caress printers. One user's solution to not having a second network drop for the printer was to go out and purchase a wireless home router. I felt bad for the guy when I explained to him why it wouldn't work. He really wanted to help. :smith:

Snippet of the 1993 IT strategy guide for the guy who wanted it. It had lots of talk of Novell/IBM and cost justification.

I also learned today that our only domain controller is from 2003. With no redundancy

Related to my printer issues today
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/k9kV3HX.jpg :nws:

ayy

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Being literally everywhere in Europe.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Methanar posted:

gently caress printers. One user's solution to not having a second network drop for the printer was to go out and purchase a wireless home router. I felt bad for the guy when I explained to him why it wouldn't work. He really wanted to help. :smith:
gently caress unmanaged devices, but he could turn off dhcp and use it like a switch+ap until someone from IT brought down the law

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Honestly that's what I tried to do, but he bought total garbage from dlink and I couldn't even put it into a switch-like mode. So until I can get a proper 2 port switch or something for him he's just going to have to be patient.

I'm so remote ordering one would take 4+ weeks and nobody here sells them off the shelf.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Methanar posted:

Snippet of the 1993 IT strategy guide for the guy who wanted it. It had lots of talk of Novell/IBM and cost justification.

Holy poo poo, VAX! :haw:

Also: 1993 and they're still talking about mini vs. microcomputers.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

Honestly that's what I tried to do, but he bought total garbage from dlink and I couldn't even put it into a switch-like mode. So until I can get a proper 2 port switch or something for him he's just going to have to be patient.

I'm so remote ordering one would take 4+ weeks and nobody here sells them off the shelf.

You're over thinking it. "Switch mode"on any consumer router is "turn off dhcp and don't use the wan port"

Even such places as office max carry non terrible 5 port gigabit switches for very little money. 2 port switches are a dumb idea.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Dick Trauma posted:

Holy poo poo, VAX! :haw:

Also: 1993 and they're still talking about mini vs. microcomputers.

'93 would have been near-peak for the RS6K / AS400 minis.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

The Fool posted:

Even such places as office max carry non terrible 5 port gigabit switches for very little money.

The only thing within 150km is a single Source and they don't stock switches.

quote:

don't use the wan port"

I'm retarded. This is so obvious.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Methanar posted:

The only thing within 150km is a single Source and they don't stock switches.

It's rare to find someone that works in a more rural location than I do.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Methanar posted:

This is going to keep happening for the foreseeable future. When it stops happening is probably a good time to start looking for a new job, also.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I wouldn't even use a dumb 5-port switch. Get an ethernet run to your real switches. Dealing with dying consumer dumb switches is a pain in the rear end.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Methanar posted:

Good news! I've found the rogue DHCP server you're going to notice next week.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had my phone screen with Netflix today and the company sounds completely awesome, and I'm super into the position they are targeting me for. So much so that it's pretty much a dream job. :toot:

But, and I knew this going in, holy gently caress are houses loving expensive in the valley. But the property taxes are still like half of what they are in Chicago.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Internet Explorer posted:

I wouldn't even use a dumb 5-port switch. Get an ethernet run to your real switches. Dealing with dying consumer dumb switches is a pain in the rear end.

It's also a major security risk because now anyone can plug anything into the extra ports and there's no reliable way to stop them. And no, MAC security is not reliable .

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 6, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

mayodreams posted:

I had my phone screen with Netflix today and the company sounds completely awesome, and I'm super into the position they are targeting me for. So much so that it's pretty much a dream job. :toot:

But, and I knew this going in, holy gently caress are houses loving expensive in the valley. But the property taxes are still like half of what they are in Chicago.

Out of sheer curiosity where exactly are you looking?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

psydude posted:

It's also a major security risk because now anyone can plug anything into the extra ports and there's no reliable way to stop them. And no, MAC security is not reliable .

All valid concerns, but sometimes there aren't other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Methanar posted:

For real though, is this normal or...

Should I tell someone, keep my mouth shut, etc.
Your question is are heterosexual men attracted to voluptuous women? Dude, I don't know who Ai Shinozaki is because I respect her budding singing career.