Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Anticheese posted:

The Eldar word for human is "monkey"?

Yyyyyyup. Mind, most Eldar that go with the "mon'keigh" treatment of humans wouldn't be negotiating with us right now in this position. They'd be attempting to demand, intimidate or just flat out assault us.

The fact they're coming to us with a relatively open hand here means we factor into their plans into an important way somehow.

So a few points I can think of:

JT Jag posted:

Don't just give it to them. It's collateral. We can make a deal in exchange for that soulstone. Eldar will burn worlds to recover one of those things. Hell, seems they already have.

Plan JT Jag is a good first step. Be fully prepared to return it as a sign of cooperation after information is gathered, but not for free.

Speaking of,

Ralith posted:

Whoever's listening to the wire in our book is hearing everything. Isolate or ditch it ASAP and probably notify the Eldar of the breach

Waci posted:

Assuming it's not them.

Eldar tech is dramatically better and different than human tech. If the Eldar want to listen in on something they have pyskers and/or psychic devices, wiretaps are far too crude for them. So we can infer it's not them listening in and we also need to go with this as well.

Oh, and seek specific clarification from the Eldar about the "great truths", the 'daughter of Hera' title, and the Chaos-fighting Eldar-assisting 'mon-keigh' the book supposedly mentions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eldar... Prophecies...

The "she" that they mention is us, isn't she? This is one of their loving we know you'll know games that end with our brain on a spike somewhere.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Ah, combat, something we can handle. Open up with the vortex grenade to the leader (try and get at least another in the blast radius) and take out another with our digi-ring. Then fall back to cover and call for our minion reinforcements to try and flank them from the rear.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I've got no idea what they mean by Daughter of Hera. Thay can't mean Athena, she sprung fully grown from Zeus' mind. Need to revisit Greek mythology (which is great because I love it anyway).

I suppose we could just ask the Eldar but that's no fun.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Daughter of Mars: symbolic as a warrior?
Daughter of Hera: Eris?

Strange that they swap between greek and roman.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"I am no daughter of Mars. Hera has no claim on me. I am a child of Athena, and we find you Xenos wanting." Crush the stone, sound the alarm. Their treacherous filth defiles the ground of the holy one.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Arkanomen posted:

"I am no daughter of Mars. Hera has no claim on me. I am a child of Athena, and we find you Xenos wanting." Crush the stone, sound the alarm. Their treacherous filth defiles the ground of the holy one.
But this isn't Athena's ground at all? Being an AI cultist is great and all but I think the Eldar might actually be valuable allies in our quest to support Athena. Let's not be hasty.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I ALMOST want to say "So you seen the future and planned this happening? Did you foresee...this?" followed by playing "Got yer nose" with the Eldar.

Terrible idea, but I almost want to do it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Ralith posted:

But this isn't Athena's ground at all? Being an AI cultist is great and all but I think the Eldar might actually be valuable allies in our quest to support Athena. Let's not be hasty.

Every step we take reclaims the land of the most holy one.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tomn posted:

I ALMOST want to say "So you seen the future and planned this happening? Did you foresee...this?" followed by playing "Got yer nose" with the Eldar.

Terrible idea, but I almost want to do it.

"Daughter of Mars, Daughter of Hera... yes. Yes, we forsaw that as well." *audible sigh*

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How big is the stone? Could we swallow it?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Perhaps we could get our Eldar friends to help us destroy the monster Athena :P

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

the "Daughter of Mars" thing at least, probably refers to use being a Tech-priest, seeing that the Mechanicus has their headquarters on Mars.

Something I would like everyone to consider is how the Inquisitors reacted to Miriam on tape:

LowellDND posted:

Black and white, a poor quality recording. You recognized a cargo bay of your ship - dozens of crates being filled and loaded with the Family files. Records, documents, books going back millenia. A few scribes were there, and Inquisitorial Guards watching them.

Herrion made a shocked noise. You turned to look at him. He spoke without seeming to notice. “Miriam.”
Everyone else looked at him, and then the scribe you recognized as one of yours. Then all of their faces went carefully blank.

“I don’t suppose you’ll share what that means.”
Edourd spoke carefully. “Whats important is that Siadwell is going through all your Family’s files. The longer the trial goes on, the more likely it is he’ll find whatever he’s looking for.”
“What do you think that is?”
They glanced at each other. “We couldn’t say.”

Miriam is probably the person the Eldar are talking about, at least it would fit with her being known to the Inquisitors.
It also fits with her unclear age, difficult to place accent and generally archaic, maybe even ancient clothing:

LowellDND posted:

She was garbed in archaic gear, all azure and pearl, with the old regalia and symbols of a Regiment you didn’t recognize. Miriam looked good for her age, whatever it was, although you couldn’t see any signs of Rejuv treatment. Instead, she had the smooth skin of good genetics, black hair falling from her in a careful ponytail. She looked at you through rectangular glasses, half buried in a fortress of books, and then glanced to her side. Relaxed and easy in the shadows, Sister Suffer. You could see her chainsaw held comfortably between her knees.

She smiled at you, shark like, but said nothing. You nodded amiably back. Like that, then.

“Well, Miriam. It seems they’ve ensnared you as well.”
“Yes Ma’am.” Her accent was hard to place. Tinged with High Gothic, perhaps an aristocrat or officer once upon a time. You wondered how she had ended up shuffling papers on your ship.
“What have they got you doing? Perhaps I can help.”
She glanced at you meaningfully. “A lot of the same books Limosa did.”
You blinked. “You knew him?”
“Yes, very well. He often visited the libraries, and we had similar interests.”
“Eldar, I’m guessing.”
“Yes Ma’am.”
So I'll assume for the time being that it's Miriam who the Eldar have been working with.

What I think we should do:
- indicate through non-audible means the presence of the wire to the Eldar (hand gestures, writing on the 40K version of an iPad, something along those lines)
- if they don't have any countermeasures (they likely have) get the book somewhere out of the way and then talk to them
- ask them how they want to help us and what our role will be fighting She who thirsts (This is apparently Slaanesh they are talking about there)
- try to find out what is so important about the staff that everyone is after it

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

sheep-dodger posted:

(...writing on the 40K version of an iPad, something along those lines)

...Or a piece of paper.

Man, we're definitely Tech-Priests.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

dog kisser posted:

...Or a piece of paper.

Man, we're definitely Tech-Priests.

The Tech-Priests of Mars spent billions of Thrones on countless expeditions to recover the one true STC for a zero-gravity writing implement.

The Death Korps of Krieg just stabbed themselves with their bayonet and used the bloodied tip to inscribe their messages.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
There was a slice of life with the rogue trader eating dinner with Ohone's mom, right?

The Eldar are probably Ohone's mom.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Brownview posted:

There was a slice of life with the rogue trader eating dinner with Ohone's mom, right?

The Eldar are probably Ohone's mom.
We already know who Ohone's mom is. She's a low-level noble on the ship.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Oasx posted:

It is a given that the Eldar are here to further their own goals, that might very well be good for us, and if it isn't we have no real way of knowing that until later.
I think we should hear what they want us to do, and be cautiously optimistic about the idea of working with them.

So ask them what they want from us.

I can't think of any of the 40k races that actually have true AI's, so chances are that the Eldar don't encounter AI's much, or at all. So they probably don't really have a set opinion. Though I can be misremembering my lore.

Pretty sure the Tau do and just don't like anybody to know.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Anticheese posted:

The Eldar word for human is "monkey"?

Yup. Also the Tau word for humans is "Gue'la", ie "gorilla." it's sort of a running joke with GW.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

jng2058 posted:

Yup. Also the Tau word for humans is "Gue'la", ie "gorilla." it's sort of a running joke with GW.

Gue'la isn't based on gorilla, it's based on Gweilo. Just for that added touch of IRL racism.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Aww yiss check out that 40k workstation

And finals are over :3:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

aaahhhh

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

Awwww yeah.

For the record, I like it when we have cool combat scenes. I'd love an arc where we do nothing but investigate mysteries on the ship with some secondary characters, to be honest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

I edited two of those!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
My wedding invitation! :3:

That's an interesting point about Miriam, I'm starting to get very interested in her background. As for what to do,

sheep-dodger posted:

- indicate through non-audible means the presence of the wire to the Eldar (hand gestures, writing on the 40K version of an iPad, something along those lines)
- if they don't have any countermeasures (they likely have) get the book somewhere out of the way and then talk to them
- ask them how they want to help us and what our role will be fighting She who thirsts (This is apparently Slaanesh they are talking about there)
- try to find out what is so important about the staff that everyone is after it

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 14, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I have to say, I'm really enjoying how Lowell's writing our paranoia.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

sheep-dodger posted:

This is a pretty good plan.

Eldar are tremendous dicks to humans and at no point should we actually trust them not to omit the part where we and our ship get sacrificed to possibly save the life of some Eldar schmuck accountant from maybe getting the flu 300 years in the future and causing a minor inconvenience. We need to know what game we're playing before we can discuss strategies and getting these guys to cough up some details (even if they are flowery, cryptic, and mostly lies) will at least be a starting point.

We should definitely mention the staff (without anyone listening in) and really emphasize how THEY can help US and not the other way around.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Voting for Plan sheep-dodger.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
To give a little context, Craftworld Eldar like these pointy eared jerks tend to be fixated on prophecy and acting out a pre-determined sequence of events. The reason for this is the fact that they're led by literally precognitive sorcerers, and they're terrified of deviating from the course those "Farseers" lay out. If Ohone really is integral to one of these prophetic visions, they'll go to extreme lengths to see her play whatever part they intend. Whether that's to our benefit or not is hard to say though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

VanSandman posted:

Awwww yeah.

For the record, I like it when we have cool combat scenes. I'd love an arc where we do nothing but investigate mysteries on the ship with some secondary characters, to be honest.

Spinoff thread: two brothers tool around the Beast in a black Impala big black riding-servitor investigating mysteries and fighting demons. Later seasons also starring their awkward Eldar pal!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Chantilly Say posted:

Spinoff thread: two brothers tool around the Beast in a black Impala big black riding-servitor investigating mysteries and fighting demons. Later seasons also starring their awkward Eldar pal!

Oh man now I really want to write this one too :negative:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

LowellDND posted:

I would read a thread with that premise.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

To give a little context, Craftworld Eldar like these pointy eared jerks tend to be fixated on prophecy and acting out a pre-determined sequence of events. The reason for this is the fact that they're led by literally precognitive sorcerers, and they're terrified of deviating from the course those "Farseers" lay out. If Ohone really is integral to one of these prophetic visions, they'll go to extreme lengths to see her play whatever part they intend. Whether that's to our benefit or not is hard to say though.

Don't forget that the visions are sometimes imperfect. Also that they care as much about human casualties as you care about cockroach casualties in your house. Add to that, many Eldar choose to go out of their way to dick over humans for fun and bragging rights, especially corsairs and harlequins.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I like plan Sheep Dodger

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, come to think of it, it's pretty funny that after responding to a poll with talk about how inscrutable the Inquisitors are and how it feels hard to know who to trust...we get hit with the Eldar.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

sheep-dodger posted:

:bandwagon:

Also for the record, Daughter of Mars is just their ridiculously overwrought way of mentioning Ohone's status as a tekpriest. Daughter of Hera is likely a reference to Athena and our connection. The fact that they probably know that link is also incredibly dangerous to our well being. If push comes to shove, the space elves will likely lean on this to enforce compliance.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Iiiiinteresting. Consider my interest piqued. "Daughter of Hera" is the first thing I'd want to learn about as a fan of Greek mythology. Next I'd want to ask about the staff, and if they can help us find it (or point us to an appropriate quest giver). Deal with the wire first, though, of course.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Given what Tran posted, I vote that a secondary objective be that we find out what their precious prophecy says and do what we can to stop if coming true.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

LowellDND posted:

And he did it!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

Given what Tran posted, I vote that a secondary objective be that we find out what their precious prophecy says and do what we can to stop if coming true.

I vote that we don't make decisions about how to react to things before we know what they are. Just because it benefits the eldar in some way doesn't mean it can't also benefit us at the same time.