Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The first one got put into archives. I'll be grabbing the links from that and putting them here.

However, for the time being, here's some stuff that you can watch while I'm working on that.

INTERNATIONAL VALE TUDO CHAMPIONSHIP

I'll be honest, I haven't seen these fights, but c'mon, it's vale tudo with limited rules and headbutts and bareknuckle punching and whatnot!

Joanna Jedrzejczyk becomes Joanna Champion by beating the dough out of Carla Esparza - Not sure this can be classified as a fight since it's just Carla failing at take down attempts and Joanna punching her face off. Still a good watch, though

Bjorn Rebney's MEXICO!! Appreciation Station - fighters from Mexico that do cool stuff

Alexa Grasso vs Ashley Cummins

Irene Aldana vs Peggy Morgan

Grasso and Aldana are both pretty cool and hopefully they will be in the UFC soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

the Pancrase tape library arrived to UFC a couple days ago so maybe it will be up there in the coming months

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I dont have FP presently so I can't provide a link, but you all should watch Joe Stevenson vs George Sotiropoulos That fight owned.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC's chief content officer Marshall Zelaznik announced on MMA hour they are fixing to have live events from the companies they acquired rights for, possibly as soon as this weekend's Shooto event.

e: Shooto Brazil

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 11, 2015

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I dont have FP presently so I can't provide a link, but you all should watch Joe Stevenson vs George Sotiropoulos That fight owned.

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die

.... now post one of the cool scrambles.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Finally got around to watching UFC 1 and this is the most ridiculous thing ever. There is a boxer with one glove in fighting Royce Gracie who taps out out of frustration.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 14, 2015

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Le Saboteur posted:

Finally got around to watching UFC 1 and this is the most ridiculous thing ever. There is a boxer with one glove in fighting Royse Gracie who taps out out of frustration.

Get outta town

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Dangersim posted:

Get outta town

I'm honestly just curious how long it took UFC to get their poo poo together. Did it take until Zuffa bought them?

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm honestly just curious how long it took UFC to get their poo poo together. Did it take until Zuffa bought them?

The rules were mostly in place by like the mid teens but they were just about done buisness wise until Zuffa took over.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Le Saboteur posted:

Depends on how you define "poo poo together". Even after Zuffa bought them, they were running at a loss for a while.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

What really saved them was the first season of TUF, coinciding with people discovering their love for watching a crazy dude with a mohawk knocking people into another dimension.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Dangersim posted:

What really saved them was the first season of TUF, coinciding with people discovering their love for watching a crazy dude with a mohawk knocking people into another dimension.

It really never gets old. chuckstare.gif please someone.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart
Does anyone know of any fights that end with weird submissions? I've got an itch only crazy Japanese pro-wrestling moves can scratch.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Dr. Miracle posted:

Does anyone know of any fights that end with weird submissions? I've got an itch only crazy Japanese pro-wrestling moves can scratch.

a few to start you off

Chan Sung Jung vs. Leonard Garcia 2 - first twister submission in the UFC
Phil Davis vs. Tim Boetsch - a submission unusual enough that they didn't know what to call it and just named it after Phil Davis
Luke Rockhold vs. Tim Boetsch - Boetsch taps to something really cool again
Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta - Al Iaquinta goes from dominant to asleep in about two seconds

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Dr. Miracle posted:

Kenny Robertson vs Brock Jardine - best leglock of all time
Alexander Otsuka vs Mike Bourke - straight-up pro wrestling finishers coming to play
Charles Oliveira vs Eric Wisely - calf slicers are cool as hell
Shinya Aoki vs Clay French - magic grappling pants give you Morph Ball abilities straight outta Metroid
Donald Cerrone vs Kenneth Alexander - Cerrone cares not for your "position"
Cody Wheeler vs Del Hawkins - also featuring a pretty slick Karate Kid homage

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

EvanSchenck posted:

a few to start you off

Mitch Clarke vs. Al Iaquinta - Al Iaquinta goes from dominant to asleep in about two seconds

This one is so goddamn cool. I love that even today, a hugely talented prospect can still get put to sleep by Some Guy from Saskatchewan if he's crafty enough.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
http://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-rory-macdonald-ufc-167

just watched rory macdonald vs. robby lawler for cathartic reasons and it contains two of my favourite things: rory getting badly hurt, and joe swinging off rory's nuts the whole fight and being extremely wrong.

request: more fights where joe is talking up a fighter who is getting the poo poo kicked out of him and then proceeds to lose.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Marching Powder posted:

http://www.ufc.tv/video/robbie-lawler-vs-rory-macdonald-ufc-167

just watched rory macdonald vs. robby lawler for cathartic reasons and it contains two of my favourite things: rory getting badly hurt, and joe swinging off rory's nuts the whole fight and being extremely wrong.

request: more fights where joe is talking up a fighter who is getting the poo poo kicked out of him and then proceeds to lose.

Wanderlei Silva vs Cung Le :cry: NO! :saddowns:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

I'm on my phone but khabib/Tibau is bizarre in that you can listen to Joe Rogan convince himself that standing against the fence and not getting taken down while doing absolutely nothing is a way to win a fight

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Mayhem vs GSP is the classic one for me. Rogan spends half the fight talking up Mayhems grappling while GSP is causally passing his guard, sweeping him, and nearly submitting him.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I know this gets said a whole lot but holy poo poo there are so many goddamn fights now.

I feel like it was only a few years ago that you could reasonably watch all of the PPVs and Fight Nights and even catch poo poo like Shark Fights and DREAM and not drop all of your time into it.

Is Fight Pass decent on AppleTV?

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroache's Anarchist

They have a feature of Bas Rutten's best bouts on fightpass front page now including a couple of Pancrase fights, so those are slowly going up it looks like

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I want to watch some legs getting kicked to TKO or near to. What fights are out there on Fight Pass besides Aldo/Faber, Saffiedine/Lim and Barboza's finishes?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
cerrone / alvarez features leg destruction paired with cowboy showing a level of fight IQ that helped him lose to nate diaz which is a tasty treat indeed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

LobsterMobster posted:

The first one got put into archives. I'll be grabbing the links from that and putting them here.

However, for the time being, here's some stuff that you can watch while I'm working on that.
I'm guessing you kind of forgot about this, so I started doing it myself. Here's most of the big lists from page 1...

The Yves Edwards Collection
by LobsterMobster
Yves "Thugjitsu Master" Edwards is a cool dude that's been fighting since before Michael McDonald was born, probably. Here are some of his more memorable moments.

• vs Edson Berto, EliteXC Street Certified - This is one of my favorite finishes ever. I'm still not convinced that Yves obeys the laws of gravity if he doesn't feel like it.

• vs Josh Thomson, UFC 49 - Another one of the most fantastic finishes in MMA, at least in terms of "holy hell how did that work?"

• vs Jeremy Stephens, UFC on Fox - One of Yves' best displays of counter-striking. Such a beautiful KO.

• vs Cody McKenzie, UFC Fight for the Troops - a drunk hobo gets belligerent in his quest for change and accosts Yves, who must use the jitsu part of Thugjitso to pacify the derelict.

• vs Rafaello Oliveira, UFC Live 6 - Another good striking display out of Edwards, but it's also notable because Yamasaki lets a dude get murdered for not particular reason.

• vs Rich Clementi, UFC 41 - Clementi ain't a bad grappler, but Yves had already faced Matt Serra and Caol Uno, so "No Love" was "No Threat". Edwards kickboxes him up a bit and then takes care of things in the third. Good fight.

• vs Nick Gonzales, EliteXC Renegade - Yves was on a bit of a skid, having dropped 3 in a row to Joe Stevenson, Mike Brown and Jorge Masvidal, so here's a squash match. Gonzalez is an ok boxer, but his nonexistent ground game is no match for THUGJITSU.

• vs Dokonjonosuke Mishima, PRIDE Bushido 7 - Do you like grappling? This is a pretty rad fight for that.

Splish-Splash, Blood Bath
by LobsterMobster
JUST BLEED, BABY! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! :unsmigghh:

KICK OUT THE JAMS
by Panama Red
Leg kicks. Body kicks. Head kicks. You like kicks? I like kicks. Kickboxing is a cool sport and it turns out some kickboxers have also been really good UFC fighters. Savate, Muay Thai, karate... We got it all. And of course... MARK HUNTO DES!

Sad/Funny Comebacks & Upsets
by acai moonsault

The Best Celebrations
by world b lee

• Stephan Bonnar vs Krzystof Soszynski II - UFC 116 - American hero Stephan Bonnar gets his grudge match against the villain from Here Comes The Boom. Finally putting it together for the first time in what seemed like forever and storming back to victory, Bonnar celebrates in the way only a dork who dreams about knocking out Mark Coleman with a spinning back kick can.

• Renan Barao vs Eddie Wineland - UFC 165 - Renan Barao, however, is someone who does more than dream of spinning kicking people unconscious--he does it. Its a shame he finally tasted defeat, because his celebrations were increasingly becoming a thing of beauty.

• Jose Aldo vs Cub Swanson - WEC 41 - Renan's celebration mentor, Jose Aldo, is also keen to present the world a festive dance in the immediate aftermath of committing unspeakable acts of violence. The stuff of nightmares.

• Marcus Brimage vs MAXIMO BLANCO - UFC 145 - An impromptu gymnastics competition breaks out after the fight and proves both more exciting and more competitive than the fight itself.

"That's Weird..."
by world b lee

Must Watch
by LobsterMobster

:siren:GERMAN SUPLEX TIME:siren:
by LobsterMobster

I think the suplex, especially the German, is one of the key things that can unite all of PSP (except for the boxing dudes, unless Bernard Hopkins decides to become an even dirtier fighter), so here are some fights featuring BIG TIME THROWS

GROIN DESTRUCTION
by Fentry

Coleman's Kids
by world b lee
These fights highlight the art of Ground n Pound, the invention of violence scientist/World's Greatest Dad Mark "The Hammer" Coleman.

Cub Swanson loving rules
by world b lee

Awesome Grappling Matches
by LobsterMobster and world b lee

The Kins fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 14, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How about a playlist of the most heavyweight heavyweight fights? The kind where the referee looks disappointed in everyone when it goes to a decision.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Luigi Thirty posted:

How about a playlist of the most heavyweight heavyweight fights? The kind where the referee looks disappointed in everyone when it goes to a decision.

Tim Sylvia vs Arlovski 3 at UFC 61
Tim Sylvia vs Jeff Monson at UFC 65

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I need to re-subscribe to Fight Pass just so I can Watch WEC 53 again. It's the pinnacle of WEC and still holds up to this day.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kensei posted:

I need to re-subscribe to Fight Pass just so I can Watch WEC 53 again. It's the pinnacle of WEC and still holds up to this day.

Oddly enough, I got an email a week ago for a promo for a year of fight pass for $65.88. I couldn't think of anything I wanted for Christmas from the in-laws, but this seems like a no-brainer.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Chexoid posted:

Mayhem vs GSP is the classic one for me. Rogan spends half the fight talking up Mayhems grappling while GSP is causally passing his guard, sweeping him, and nearly submitting him.

My favourite part of that is how often mayhem goes for rubber guard, and how gsp just passes it easily

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

anyone have a good playlist of oldschool pre-sanctioned UFC freakshow bouts? I'm talking about ninja vs sumo kinda stuff.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
are there any great fighters who decided to retire while they were still coming up ? maybe they decided to go to university or do another sport, that kind of thing.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

I.N.R.I posted:

are there any great fighters who decided to retire while they were still coming up ? maybe they decided to go to university or do another sport, that kind of thing.

nick thompson was a really good fighter with a terrible chin who studied for the bar the same time he was training to fight jake sheilds for the uh strikeforce i think title, and he got choked out by jake and passed the bar. so now i guess hes a lawyer.

Fedor used to wear a shirt that said #1 Nobody Beats Me and Nick had a shirt that said #4 Almost Nobody Beats Me, and overall was one of the coolest fighters ever

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
A super talented japanese fighter named Akitoshi Hokazono gave up fighting because he couldn't make enough money at it, but of his era of 135 ish lb fighters, he was talked about as the absolute best by the three guys who watched shooto

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

There was that guy who smashed that mohawk kid with standing elbows, but he was also studying to be a doctor and rightly realized fighting was not good for the ol' noodle and promptly quit. I can never remember his name though, but it was a cool KO you should watch.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can't wait to dig in to the fight pass archives. What is the funniest fight you've ever seen? Be as subjective as you like

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
There was an olympic gold medalist wrestler who went something like 16-0, never fought anyone recognizable and retired

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can't wait to dig in to the fight pass archives. What is the funniest fight you've ever seen? Be as subjective as you like

Off hand, Mark Coleman v Gary Goodrdige UFC 10 was hilarious. Wanderlei Silva v. Gilbert Yvel. Many Dirt Bob Schrijber fights. Heath Herring v Brad Imes was really weird and DOnkey Guard is one of the prominent positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I.N.R.I posted:

He wasn't great or anything but Nick Denis was a pretty good fighter who decided to retire and pursue a Ph.D. after getting his brain rattled a few times. This standing elbow KO was really cool.

e: he's the guy BlueDeanie mentioned upthread

Phillip Miller is an interesting story as well.

quote:

“You know, it’s a career that’s not supposed to be long,” said Miller, 16-0. “You’re supposed to get in, you’re supposed to put your mark in, and then get out. The longer you stay, the more long-term damage you do. For each fighter, it’s his own decision. How much is he willing to give up for that paycheck?”

For Miller, 29, the answer was about three years of his life. A wrestler with little grace but plenty of grit, Miller last fought in 2003, a three-round drubbing of Moacir Oliveira. As he laid in heavy-duty strikes on an opponent who may have been well advised to concede, Miller didn’t know it was going to be his last fight. He was undefeated, but he didn’t feel invincible. He knew that, eventually, inevitably, he would be the one on the other side of such an attack.

“I was just hammering on that guy for three rounds,” Miller said. “At the end of that fight he couldn’t even stand. As soon as he left the ring, he was just puking. We were all supposed to go take a piss test. And they were like negative on the piss test. (They said), ‘He’s got to be taken in an ambulance to the hospital.’ And I was just like, ‘You know what? I would have done the same thing if I was in his position.’ You know when you’ve got the personality that you’re just not going to quit.”

quote:

At a moment where several legendary fighters look to be straddling the line between closing out their careers fittingly and disparaging how they’ll be remembered, Miller seems truly content with his decision to retire as a 16-0 mixed martial artist.

“I’d never want to quit on a loss. I mean, I couldn’t,” Miller said. “Even if I lost a fight, I would have to come back and fight again. And then one wouldn’t do it. Then I’d be stuck in the cycle again. You can’t just go out on a loss.”

• Locked thread