Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
That's true but pilot-itis is a real thing. If you think a show should stand on its pilot that's a perfectly fine barometer as well but I'd rather wait until they have a bit more promotional material to see where they're supposed to go coming out of the pilot. Of course it's probably more of the same, but perhaps a little more refined is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Pooptrain
Oct 13, 2012

2001's Father of the Year
A Supergirl show where Superman exists...and they don't just make a Superman show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sober posted:

That's true but pilot-itis is a real thing. If you think a show should stand on its pilot that's a perfectly fine barometer as well but I'd rather wait until they have a bit more promotional material to see where they're supposed to go coming out of the pilot. Of course it's probably more of the same, but perhaps a little more refined is all.

Pilotitis is a real thing sure, the problems with that trailer were not fully with plot beats. It was mostly with tone and execution. Sure they could adjust that later on but it seems that's the show they're going for regardless of the details of the plot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

James Woods Fan posted:

A Supergirl show where Superman exists...and they don't just make a Superman show.

Supergirl is less popular and hence potentially more interesting.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Deadpool posted:

Pilotitis is a real thing sure, the problems with that trailer were not fully with plot beats. It was mostly with tone and execution. Sure they could adjust that later on but it seems that's the show they're going for regardless of the details of the plot.
Aside from the top 40 song, I hope that the stuff in the trailer actually isn't indicative of the scoring.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I actually liked the Supergirl trailer. The plane bit was a nice nod to Returns, and the tone of the show felt fine.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Supergirl looks great. Upfront trailers are always kind of terrible. but I like the tone, and the most important thing of all: Melissa Benoist is super-charismatic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

I actually liked the Supergirl trailer. The plane bit was a nice nod to Returns, and the tone of the show felt fine.

Not just Returns. Saving planes/space-shuttles/blimps is how the El family get their superhero merit badge.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Melissa Benoist seems like she'll be great but it looks like it has a lot of cliches and definitely resembles that SNL Avengers parody.

How many times did she say "my cousin?" Do they not have the rights to Superman's name?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shneak posted:

Melissa Benoist seems like she'll be great but it looks like it has a lot of cliches and definitely resembles that SNL Avengers parody.

How many times did she say "my cousin?" Do they not have the rights to Superman's name?

I'm sure it's just that he's still going by "The Blur" and everyone agrees that's just too stupid to say out loud.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Also I wouldn't doubt if you could cut a different trailer from the pilot with the same story beats but load it with more action scenes from what I'm guessing is the BIG FIGHT between her and that alien dude. Not that I care too much, it's just hilarious I'm reading reactions from some places on the internet reacting and calling Supergirl TOO FEMINIST and TOO SOAP OPERA because of which 6 minutes they decided to use from the 42 they had.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That did look mostly enjoyable though? The plane scene is classic Super-person stuff and the costume montage was cheesily fun. Flockhart's character probably needs some better material, or a more rounded character, because yeah, it seems like they're aiming for Jameson and missing.

I don't think so. Jameson is ultimately likeable.

From the trailer I think you're supposed to hate Cat Grant.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sober posted:

Also I wouldn't doubt if you could cut a different trailer from the pilot with the same story beats but load it with more action scenes from what I'm guessing is the BIG FIGHT between her and that alien dude. Not that I care too much, it's just hilarious I'm reading reactions from some places on the internet reacting and calling Supergirl TOO FEMINIST and TOO SOAP OPERA because of which 6 minutes they decided to use from the 42 they had.

Those places on the internet were probably going to call any show with a prominent female lead "too feminist" and "too soap opera", no matter what.

I just kinda want at this point a female superhero front and center whose alter ego isn't "affable/goofy/maybe clumsy assistant/secretary/etc." but that's a personal preference. Supergirl will probably be fine, if not especially groundbreaking.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I would like to know how it happened that CBS has the best looking pair of comedies this year. Who got fired in the past 364 days to turn it from an awful Odd Couple remake and Generic Catholic Family to a Modern Family rip-off with a fantastic cast and a weird-rear end idea from someone involved in 30 Rock starring Jane Lynch and Maggie Lawson.

On the other hand, Kyle "The Comedy Curse" Bornheimer is in Angel from Hell, which means the show will be really good, and get cancelled faster than the speed of light, just like Worst Week, Perfect Couples, Romantically Challenged and Family Tools before it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Maybe it's just Calista Flockhart giving me the David E Kelly Wonder Woman vibes, but Supergirl has an uphill battle after that trailer. That was painful.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay so I know that this show probably isn't meant for me personally, a female oriented superhero show is gonna be different in subject matter and presentation than a male oriented one, etc, etc...

But gently caress me that trailer is dreadful. I got halfway through her boss's speech before I closed the tab in disgust. Like, okay, there's a good "own the 'girl'" speech to be written. That was not it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Okay so I know that this show probably isn't meant for me personally, a female oriented superhero show is gonna be different in subject matter and presentation than a male oriented one, etc, etc...

But gently caress me that trailer is dreadful. I got halfway through her boss's speech before I closed the tab in disgust. Like, okay, there's a good "own the 'girl'" speech to be written. That was not it.

It's an antagonist giving that speech.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Supergirl looks bad and cheesy, and not in a fun comics way like Flash. Everyone saying the Avengers SNL parody is right.

Sober posted:

Let's not judge Supergirl based on this material they released specifically so people can judge it :v:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 14, 2015

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Wow, browsing that list there is not a single show on this network I would watch. The Supergilmoregirl trailer looks awful, and drat, you'd think just out of volume they'd have at least one good show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Out of all the CBS stuff the thing I can't believe the most, even more than them having two comedies that look good, is that they were able to get Bradley Cooper in a recurring role on Limitless.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

Out of all the CBS stuff the thing I can't believe the most, even more than them having two comedies that look good, is that they were able to get Bradley Cooper in a recurring role on Limitless.

Did he even appear on screen with the main character during the trailer? It looks like the kind of role Cooper could shoot practically anywhere, and I'm sure he'll be making most people's annual salaries for half a day's work.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

Did he even appear on screen with the main character during the trailer? It looks like the kind of role Cooper could shoot practically anywhere, and I'm sure he'll be making most people's annual salaries for half a day's work.

Well when the pilot was shot he was only supposed to be a one time guest star. They then announced this week he'll be recurring in the show as the mentor for the main character.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Well when the pilot was shot he was only supposed to be a one time guest star. They then announced this week he'll be recurring in the show as the mentor for the main character.

The movie had 3-4 endings on DVD, so I'd love to see which one they went with, but it's a pretty interesting concept to explore with talented actors and I assume Cooper is the addict who kicked the Limitless drug but still has a bit of a unique edge and is now watching a world where more and more people abuse the drug and seeing dark times he tries to guide the main actor into a position and power and control to make a better world.

I don't really know what the plan is, the whole point of the movie was you take an addictive drug that makes you literally superior but with diminishing returns and the biggest problem is what comes next, so a tv show isn't the best medium for that idea.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It's an antagonist giving that speech.

There's zero evidence in that trailer that either the audience or Kara is supposed to disagree with her though. In the vacuum it's presented in it comes off like a huge "gently caress you feminists."

It's a situation that could've been fixed with a simple reaction shot or a single line if that wasn't their intention, and I'm not convinced it wasn't. It was a really awful choice to include in the trailer.

Personally I wouldn't mind if she got stuck with the Supergirl name but absolutely hates it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pentyne posted:

The movie had 3-4 endings on DVD, so I'd love to see which one they went with, but it's a pretty interesting concept to explore with talented actors and I assume Cooper is the addict who kicked the Limitless drug but still has a bit of a unique edge and is now watching a world where more and more people abuse the drug and seeing dark times he tries to guide the main actor into a position and power and control to make a better world.

I don't really know what the plan is, the whole point of the movie was you take an addictive drug that makes you literally superior but with diminishing returns and the biggest problem is what comes next, so a tv show isn't the best medium for that idea.

I never saw the movie but apparently his character is a Senator and is running for President and is still on the drug.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Super girl trailer was literally the Black Widow "Age of Me" SNL sketch.

I was trying to work out exactly how it felt and yeah, this is it completely. I do kind of like the idea of a girl superhero who's really shy and dorky though. Superhero ladies are always presented as either a) stone cold badass, b) sexbots or c) both. It's nice to see them at least trying something different.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Melissa Benoist was really the only thing about the trailer I liked. And Mechad Brooks as Jimmy, but that's just because I like Mechad Brooks in general.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bunnita posted:

I'm having a hard time with them canceling Stalker and renewing CSI: Cyber. Cyber was so horribly awful and Stalker actually had a plot and was entertaining.

But Cyber stars someone who just won an Oscar!

And at least Supergirl looks more interesting than Batman V Superman.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 14, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I automatically get annoyed by any series/film that uses the "100% of your brain" myth. Limitless and Lucy have both used it to poor effect within the last few years. Someone needs to skywrite a public service announcement in giant letters over LA.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Angel from hell is a terrible name but the show looks funny. I'm a sucker for lovable jerks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Judging from that one bit I saw of the Supergirl trailer with Flockhart they should have called this show "The Devil Wears Kara"!

no but it looks fuckin' awful

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe SNL stole the Black Widow sketch idea too.

sticklefifer posted:

I automatically get annoyed by any series/film that uses the "100% of your brain" myth. Limitless and Lucy have both used it to poor effect within the last few years. Someone needs to skywrite a public service announcement in giant letters over LA.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think it's the idiot dealer character who says that and someone else says it's bullshit.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My only disappointment with the Supergirl trailer is that the CG looks really bad. In a world where lots of movies still have poor looking CG, network TV stuff is just so goddamned ugly.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Rarity posted:

I was trying to work out exactly how it felt and yeah, this is it completely. I do kind of like the idea of a girl superhero who's really shy and dorky though. Superhero ladies are always presented as either a) stone cold badass, b) sexbots or c) both. It's nice to see them at least trying something different.
Ha! I came into the thread to say the Supergirl trailer did unironically what SNL's "Black Widow: Marvel Understands Girls" trailer did, and was beaten by four people. All it was missing was the DC Hulk equivalent offering her ice cream.

Also chiming in on that terrible "YOU'RE the sexist" clip - I'm with you on how awful it is that the awful boss says it (in the most condescending way possible). I know that they need to sort of lampshade the "SuperGIRL" and not "SuperWOMAN" thing but it would work better if the hero embraced it and not the awful boss we're all supposed to hate.

EDIT: also, the heroine is literally told to "go back to making coffee." WHAT.

AnimeJune fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 14, 2015

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
After watching it again the only things I really don't like about Supergirl is the stupid "girl" speech by a 50 year old woman, which is just off putting and that they gave Kara a typical Rom-Com female lead job. Surely there could have been many, many other jobs that would work better than that? Barry Allen get's to pretend to be a CSI, Clark Kent is a reporter, Oliver Queen is a Millionaire/Assassin CEO/Hobo, Constantine a PI, Daredevil a lawyer, Laurel Lance a DA. She's the harried but of course wonderful assistant to the The Devil Wears Prada woman. On the other hand, judging by all the smartphone work life game geared to women that's what a large subset of young women really dreams of?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Pretty excited for Supergirl.

Also I really liked Limitless as a movie. Interested in seeing what they do with it to make it a full show, since at the end of the movie it's implied that the main character has figured out a way to make the effect permanent and no longer needs to take pills.

e: The Calista Flockhart bit in the Supergirl promo didn't come across to me as some sort of justification thing. It was more "I'm the boss, and I'm rich, and X an Y, so gently caress you we're calling her what I say we are"

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 14, 2015

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So I don't know the first thing about any of DC's TV shows, but I was under the impression that all of their TV shows shared a universe separate from all the movies. But Supergirl appears to be a part of the DC cinematic universe? Is that right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OldSenileGuy posted:

So I don't know the first thing about any of DC's TV shows, but I was under the impression that all of their TV shows shared a universe separate from all the movies. But Supergirl appears to be a part of the DC cinematic universe? Is that right?

It's not part of the CW universe almost for sure. But we don't know if it's part of the movie universe or not. It could just be its own thing like Gotham.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

No, Constantine was not part of Flash/Arrow Earth, and Supergirl is thus far separate from everything though producers have expressed an interest in including it with Arrow and Flash in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

OldSenileGuy posted:

The preview was kind of weird. If you assume that Kara and Kal left Krypton at roughly the same time then Man of Steel is happening right around the time of the Supergirl show? Which would kind of gently caress with public perception of her I would think.

On the other hand the preview implies Superman has been doing his thing for a while ("you may know his story") but seems to be set in the contemporary 'now', so I'm kind of hoping that they're using MoS for the costume inspiration but everything else is different (Supes has been heroing a while, no giant Metropolis fight happened, etc) which would gel with the implied tone better I think.

• Locked thread