Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Deadpool posted:

This Rob Lowe show looks great. Plus it has Fred Savage and Bill Devane. Hope he picks it over that other show on NBC that got picked up.

I agree. The preview was the only thing that has me interested so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Deadpool posted:

This Rob Lowe show looks great. Plus it has Fred Savage and Bill Devane. Hope he picks it over that other show on NBC that got picked up.

I saw an article earlier that says he's committed to The Grinder. From the sound of things the NBC show is pretty much schedule spackle that has already been filmed and he has no further contractual obligation to it.

e: Found the article.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 12, 2015

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The difference in quality between The Grinder and Bordertown is staggering.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I love Rob Lowe and enjoy Fred Savage and Mary Elizabeth Ellis, so I'm going to check out The Grinder. And I'd be shocked if there weren't multiple grinder jokes as the season goes on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

I love Rob Lowe and enjoy Fred Savage and Mary Elizabeth Ellis, so I'm going to check out The Grinder. And I'd be shocked if there weren't multiple grinder jokes as the season goes on.
Grindr jokes*

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I saw an article earlier that says he's committed to The Grinder. From the sound of things the NBC show is pretty much schedule spackle that has already been filmed and he has no further contractual obligation to it.

e: Found the article.

That article also goes into the Meaghan Rath thing. She's got first position for the Fox pilot and second for the NBC one so she's more likely to do the Fox show.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Out of the trailers posted I'll give Grinder, Grandfathered, Lucifer, and Minority Report a shot for sure. I only expect to really like Grinder out of all of those though.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really super mad that the people behind the Minority Report show completely missed the point of Minority Report, but it looks like it could be an alright show. I'm also super mad that they told Wilmer Valderrama to talk like Fez again.

Grinder and Grandfathered look pretty good, Bordertown looks exactly like "A show about families on the US/Mexico border made by Seth McFarland" would (terrible), and I'm really hoping Scream Queens is as batshit crazy as American Horror Story, because that would be a waste of a tremendous cast.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
There isn't a trailer for scream queens yet is there? I read the premise and at first I was like ehhh... But giving it some though a long form slasher comedy/drama could be a hell of a lot of fun. I hope its good.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MrFlibble posted:

There isn't a trailer for scream queens yet is there? I read the premise and at first I was like ehhh... But giving it some though a long form slasher comedy/drama could be a hell of a lot of fun. I hope its good.

It's a Ryan Murphy show, so all you need to do is watch an episode from season 1 of Glee or Nip/Tuck, and then an episode from the penultimate season of that same show. That is what you're getting in a Ryan Murphy joint.

American Horror Story subverted that because it started with the crazy pedal to the floor from day 1, but I don't expect a network show to go that far that fast.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yoshifan823 posted:

I'm really super mad that the people behind the Minority Report show completely missed the point of Minority Report, but it looks like it could be an alright show.

It's Almost Human, but instead of the a cop partnered with an android, it's a bloke with an android personality who can see dream flashes.

I liked Almost Human, but it was obviously they couldn't show the future now every scene without spending s fuckton of money on special effects.
So the story ends up suffering, and this will bring down Minority Report soon. It'll end up all explosions in abandoned warehouses every second episode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

happyhippy posted:

It's Almost Human, but instead of the a cop partnered with an android, it's a bloke with an android personality who can see dream flashes.

I liked Almost Human, but it was obviously they couldn't show the future now every scene without spending s fuckton of money on special effects.
So the story ends up suffering, and this will bring down Minority Report soon. It'll end up all explosions in abandoned warehouses every second episode.

I liked Almost Human but yeah, it was chock full of Non-descript Warehouses that pop up in every modern sci-fi show, along with British Columbian Forests, Toronto Countryside and Certainly an American City (either Vancouver or Toronto). Fringe hit that level at season 2 so we'll see what's in store for Minority Report.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

happyhippy posted:

Washington DC is noted for its expansive abandoned warehouse district.

:v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sash! posted:

Washington DC is noted for its expansive abandoned warehouse district.

:v:

To be fair, there are multiple scenes in the movie where they show real rundown areas of the town. Like near the beginning where Tom Cruise buys his future drug.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Lucifer looks bad and stupid.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I am 100% behind more Gillian Anderson on TV

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Was there any news about 24?

Please don't be dead, 24

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You know, Fox, there's nothing saying that you can't put one of the two live action shows on Sunday on another day so that you can put Bob's Burgers in actual prime time. But then again, we all know that Fox hates critically acclaimed shows that have a less-than-mainstream audience. This is why I don't watch network TV. I'll be shocked if it gets another season.

Meanwhile, a Seth MacFarlene protege is getting a new show, which is just as bad as Seth MacFarlene getting a new show. Hopefully it'll go the way of Dads and gently caress off after a few episodes. Get your poo poo together, guys- you knew the American Idol gravy train wasn't gonna last forever, and now that it's gone after this season, you're getting your just desserts.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 14, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I am 100% behind more Gillian Anderson on TV

She is way more attractive now than she was then. I mean, how in the gently caress?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Doctor Butts posted:

She is way more attractive now than she was then. I mean, how in the gently caress?

She was incredible on Top Gear this past season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Speaking of ageless wonders, Harry Shearer isn't coming back to The Simpsons. Fox is waist-deep in poo poo right now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Got a sneak look at Minority Report.

The leads are good (her more than him), but there's as much originality as there is banality. For every clever gag (like the music in the old folks' home) there are 2-3 "THIS IS THE THEME OF THE SHOW!" lines, or "AS YOU AND I BOTH KNOW" info dumps, or a purely 1 dimensional character.

The guy playing the senator kicks rear end though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Y-Hat posted:

Speaking of ageless wonders, Harry Shearer isn't coming back to The Simpsons. Fox is waist-deep in poo poo right now.

At this point the cast have recorded enough dialogue that the show can construct any script they like out of past footage

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Golden Bee posted:

Got a sneak look at Minority Report.

The leads are good (her more than him), but there's as much originality as there is banality. For every clever gag (like the music in the old folks' home) there are 2-3 "THIS IS THE THEME OF THE SHOW!" lines, or "AS YOU AND I BOTH KNOW" info dumps, or a purely 1 dimensional character.

The guy playing the senator kicks rear end though.

That's pretty par for the course in sci-fi pilots, I find. I usually give new shows about 3 episodes for the actors to find their chemistry (unless it's obviously terrible), or longer if I enjoy the premise. Jericho had sucky family drama for about 8 episodes and then got really good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rarity posted:

At this point the cast have recorded enough dialogue that the show can construct any script they like out of past footage

Could Fox legally do something like that though?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm fairly sure that South Park did this with Isaac Hayes in Chef's last episodes, so I see no reason why it would be illegal, unless it violates a contract. But even if they could do that, the voice actors won't take too kindly to it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

"No, they only paid me to say it one and doubled it on the soundtrack. Cheap bastards."

It should be noted that the Simpsons have enough of a back log of episodes to last them the entirety of next season so Fox has plenty of time to butcher up a solution.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I liked the Lucifer comics and I really want to like the show but it looks like Dogma ate The Dresden Files.

Gaz-L posted:

Every mother in the western world swooning over Boreanaz?

There's nothing wrong with David Boreanaz :swoon: but I'm as confused as anyone else about Bones still being on. Like I thought it ended a year plus ago and here we are.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It should be noted that the Simpsons have enough of a back log of episodes to last them the entirety of next season so Fox has plenty of time to butcher up a solution.
It's more like 7 or 8 episodes that are held over from production season 26. They'll probably get through 2015 with the Shearer voiced characters.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They're shooting Minority Report here in Toronto right now (all around my office, in fact) and a lot of the setups look pretty low-rent. Granted I'd probably think the same of Orphan Black if I happened upon them filming so it's not a great indication of quality but I'm pretty wary that MR will be another forgettable single-season mistake. The trailer posted here doesn't really dispel that either.

It is pretty cool to walk out of my office and see the group of kitted-out futuristic Mustangs they're using for cop cars though.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Jericho was probably the craziest version of COMPLETELY SUCKED AT FIRST, and then turned over into something cool, that I've ever seen. It's some kind of weird anomaly. 99.99999% of the time, if the first 4 episodes still suck, then the show sucks, but Jericho somehow improved drastically after that. Weird. but FUN!

I don't like that first Seth McFarlane cartoon at all, (remember that one time/repeat the entire sentence in cartoon :suicide:)but to be honest I had no idea what other things he was ever involved in. I do, however, think that a Million Ways to Die in the West, was very very funny. So I guess I'm on some kind of middle of the road Seth McFarlane can be funny in the right circumstances stance. = I don't judge one way or the other I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

angerbeet posted:

I liked the Lucifer comics and I really want to like the show but it looks like Dogma ate The Dresden Files.

Neil Gaiman says he saw the pilot and while it doesn't seem like it at first they do have some comic stuff in there.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Neil Gaiman says he saw the pilot and while it doesn't seem like it at first they do have some comic stuff in there.

Neil Gaiman, AKA Gaiz

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh my god are we going to do that in this thread too?

The recent fox sci-fi show cancellation - Almost Human - was cancelled because it was bad and no one watched it not because it was mistreated by the network or whatever.

And meanwhile Sleepy Hollow is getting a third season.

gently caress you, Almost Human was good :argh:

Lucifer looked alright until they got to the mandatory "she made me change my ways" thing. Like, this should be a villain protagonist series, or maybe even a "SOUL SALE" of the week type series. But Lucifer felt something for a human and now he's trying to save humanity? And that name, "Lucifer Morningstar", JESUS loving CHRIST. Can you hit it on the nose any worse?

e: Ok, I thought Lucifer was bad. Frankenstein though...my god

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 15, 2015

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

J-Spot posted:

It's more like 7 or 8 episodes that are held over from production season 26. They'll probably get through 2015 with the Shearer voiced characters.

Assuming they don't replace him, they should do to his characters what they do to future-Maggie - have them about to say something and cut away.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Fox will construct an AI voice comprised of decades of Harry Shearer voice samples capable of emulating him perfectly, and nobody will know the difference.

DoggPickle posted:

Jericho was probably the craziest version of COMPLETELY SUCKED AT FIRST, and then turned over into something cool, that I've ever seen. It's some kind of weird anomaly. 99.99999% of the time, if the first 4 episodes still suck, then the show sucks, but Jericho somehow improved drastically after that. Weird. but FUN!

Unsurprisingly Lennie James was the best part of it too. Though the scene where Stanley just walks up and shoots Goetz in the loving face is one of my favorite comeuppance scenes ever. :hellyeah:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Character designs from 3 South. :allears:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

DoggPickle posted:

The jericho pilot has probably the worst use of music in the history of tv. Every scene had to have over the top mood music. TENSE MUSIC. HEARTFELT MUSIC.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

sticklefifer posted:

That's pretty par for the course in sci-fi pilots, I find. I usually give new shows about 3 episodes for the actors to find their chemistry (unless it's obviously terrible), or longer if I enjoy the premise. Jericho had sucky family drama for about 8 episodes and then got really good.

I saw the temp-FX version and still liked it, so don't judge a sci-fi heavy show based on the setups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

joepinetree posted:

The jericho pilot has probably the worst use of music in the history of tv. Every scene had to have over the top mood music. TENSE MUSIC. HEARTFELT MUSIC.

Also this weird B- feeling cast that was completely unlikeable and all seemed like if not just incredibly annoying, than even worse, like total idiots at first. I don't think bizarro Johnny depp helped when it came down to the b-level actor comparisons.

I don't actually remember the music, but I totally believe you! I just haven't watched in awhile so I assume I would really :laffo: now if I did.

• Locked thread