Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

The port city of Rubirge is the regional capital for the Ruby Coast, named for its glimmering red waters caused by coral blooms far below the surface. Its docks are some of the most bustling avenues of trade in Arrentia, helping to connect the Empire to her many distant corners. But this story isn't about the greed of its merchants or the intrigue in its mansions, but rather the city's more humble class of citizen.
The urchins of Rubirge live in the shadow of wealth and power but have neither. Still, they manage to eke out an existence whatever way they can - usually petty burglary and pickpocketing. One gang, the Talons, managed to break into the home of one of the Ruby Merchants and steal three magic coins. Though, they didn't know the coins were magickal, they just wanted to sell them at the market for some steak and bread and wine. Would that they had known, though, then maybe they could have avoided the diresome happenings which were about to befall them.
As the gang gathered in their alley and looked at their spoils, the coins began to hypnotize them. With a coin in their hands the holder felt powerful beyond measure, like they could, with the flip of their coin, leave this rotten neighborhood behind and live in luxury. They began to quarrel, each orphaned girl and boy wanting the coins for themselves. Soon they lost sight of the coins - someone had palmed them! - and the children fought each other in earnest trying to find their treasure.
Suddenly there was a flash of metal, a cry of pain, and a splash of blood. When the dust cleared, one of the urchins was dead, a metal dagger lodged in the boy's throat. The urchins stood in an uneasy circle around each other - someone in their midst was a murderer. With nobody stepping forward with a confession, and with all three coins still unaccounted for, the Talons had to trust no one.

Welcome to this mafia game!

This is a game for 13 players.

The standard mafia rules apply here.

Note that for this game (part of my "Stories of Love and Hate: The Redemption of Arrentia" series), normal votefinder rules apply. Vote and unvote at your leisure, we live in a brave new world of machines and technocracies.

Anyone is welcome to sign up but preferential treatment will be given to players who:
- Are new and interested in seeing what mafia is like;
- Played one of my buzzfeed things in the thread (I wrote your names down); and/or
- Are not a lurker or jerker irl

And here we go!
Player list:
  1. bowmore
  2. Dead Cow
  3. DGK2000
  4. fiery_valkyrie
  5. Grandicap
  6. Gridlocked
  7. Kleedrac
  8. Meinberg
  9. Poque Asiina
  10. Quandary
  11. QuoProQuid
  12. Shanakin
  13. WHICH WAY MADNESS

Night 0: Fronz, Francis, Urchin (town-aligned vanilla), died.
Day 1: The town failed to execute anyone how sad.
Night 1: Kleedrac, Iunius Argos, Smart Kid (town-aligned doctor), died.
Day 2, Afternoon: bowmore, Peri Dy'neh, Heartless Monster (mafia-aligned janitor), daykilled. fiery_valkyrie, Edith Megalos, Urchin (town-aligned vanilla), daykilled. Meinberg, Nuade, Psycho (mafia-aligned suicide bomber), died.
Day 2, Evening: Asiina, Ismet Jordanou, Evangelical (town-aligned faith healer), modkilled.
Night 2: Grandicap, Oza, Leader (town-aligned naive cop), died.
Day 3: Shanakin, Semir, Urchin (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 3: WHICH WAY MADNESS, Michelos Cuneyt, Big Brother (town-aligned mason recruiter), died.
Day 4: Dead Cow, Simone Agricola, Urchin (town-aligned vanilla), executed.
Night 4: DGK2000, Serhan, Urchin (town-aligned vanilla), died.
Day 5: Quandary, Ezra Noor, Brutal Child (mafia-aligned assassin), executed

GAME OVER
TOWN VICTORY

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I will play

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yes

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Yes please.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
If you'll have me.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

EccoRaven posted:

normal votefinder rules apply. Vote and unvote at your leisure, we live in a brave new world of machines and technocracies.

Are you okay, Ecco? I'm worried about you.

Anyways, I'm in.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

This is a sign up post. I am signing up.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
An Ecco game? Sounds great I'll sign up here and expect a role pm sometime in 2019 :v:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I want a coin or maybe two!

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky
YES, I will play.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
I'm down for the Koins of Cerm

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
My friend and I were just talking about how it would be cool to play a Mafia game. I haven't played before and he hasn't played in a while.

I'll sign up to see what it's like.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gridlocked posted:

My friend and I were just talking about how it would be cool to play a Mafia game. I haven't played before and he hasn't played in a while.

fresh meat :)

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

bowmore posted:

fresh meat :)

Newbies still get a D1 pass round these parts?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Gridlocked posted:

Hi, here's the friend. If there's room it would be cool to play.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DGK2000 posted:

Newbies still get a D1 pass round these parts?
Yep.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Edit: Ehhhhhhh, now that I think about it, I have an event coming up in a couple weeks that will completely eat up my free time. Never mind! Looks fun though.

Max fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 13, 2015

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
We got 12 signups! Just need one more!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Ill do it if you sign up for my game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

Ill do it if you sign up for my game.

Oh no I won't fall for this again.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'll sign up if you give me a cool role and are alright with me not being around much.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

That was poor timing on my part because i didnt have much time then.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

That was poor timing on my part because i didnt have much time then.

You will be the first replacement.

Hooray thanks Meinberg! Game starts tomorrow night, and that's an Ecco PromiseTM.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

EccoRaven posted:

Game starts tomorrow night, and that's an Ecco PromiseTM.

Everyone who's ever played an Ecco game posted:

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

If I recall correctly, Ecco only pulled a Tao Jones once.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I dont know what a Tao Jones is but Ecco never starts her games when she says she will. It's part of her charm.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
An Ecco PromiseTM is the cheap former-Soviet-bloc knockoff of a normal promise.

DGK2000 posted:

If I recall correctly, Ecco only pulled a Tao Jones once.

I've never pulled a tao jones!! Tao disappears, I'm always around. I think once though I just was on the struggletrain to nowheretown and had to reschedule it for a few months later.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I dont know what a Tao Jones is but Ecco never starts her games when she says she will. It's part of her charm.

But Ecco is male? Lay egg is true?

EccoRaven posted:

I've never pulled a tao jones!! Tao disappears, I'm always around. I think once though I just was on the struggletrain to nowheretown and had to reschedule it for a few months later.

Oh, you're correct.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EccoRaven posted:

So this being my first game and all I only have knowledge of the way it works from reading basically the wikipedia page on it.

Can you explain how this will work for me please Ecco?

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'm going to make a Meinberg Promise, a Promise you can believe in.

I will post at least once every real life day, barring in game Nights.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Gridlocked posted:

Can you explain how this will work for me please Ecco?
Oh okay!

Okay well I have a setup ready (e.g. 5 mafia, 3 cops, 2 doctors, 5 vanilla town). I will use a random number generator to see who gets which roles. I will then write a Role PM for everyone, which will include: your role, your alignment, and your flavor "character" (who are you? what's your deal? why do you want these coins to badly?). The character is just flavor but I always secretly reward people who roleplay.

You and everyone else will receive their PMs tomorrow night (probably around 8pm eastern/5pm pacific). The game will then begin; vote by typing ##vote player, our automatic vote-counting-robot will keep tabs on them. Post and try to find scum, or likewise try to hide and get townies to vote each other. :hehe:

Good luck! If you have any further questions about Mafia: As She Is Played, just ask in the thread. Everyone in this game is being compelled to tell you truthful and objective answers about how mafia works under penalty of modkill.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
We get a 24 hour period to chat and vote right? And votes go in the thread not PMs to you?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So is it an open setup?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

bowmore posted:

So is it an open setup?

Yeah, it's definitely the setup I posted above.

Gridlocked posted:

We get a 24 hour period to chat and vote right? And votes go in the thread not PMs to you?

You'll get about 3 RL days, with 1 RL night to submit actions (or discuss with your scumbuddies).

Votes are made in the thread yep.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Gridlocked posted:

Game days will usually be 2-3 real life days, especially at the start of the game. Votes go in thread. People will then start denigrating each other because of said votes until it becomes Lord of the Flies, kill or be killed, every man, woman and child for themselves. At this point we will all "turbo" or rush to vote the same player in an adrenalin high brought on by the realization that we will get to live for another day. I recommend starting with Capitalist Pig on day 1 because he likes to tell people how dumb and wrong they are and why deny him the privilege.

It then becomes "night" and we all get a chance to relax until it starts all over again.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Ok one more question: What is a Doctor?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Here is a wiki!

And here is a helpful flash thing of common and uncommon roles with fun little pictures.

And here is a beginner's guide!

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

Yeah, it's definitely the setup I posted above.

I'm 2-cops, Ecco sent me two different cop role PM's.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Gridlocked question are you an Shanakin real life friends or internet friends?

If you are real life friends then I am going to preemptively make you Unconfirmed Masons (see the wiki) so you can talk about the game in real life together.

If you are internet friends then I'll probably do the same thing but no promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

EccoRaven posted:

Gridlocked question are you an Shanakin real life friends or internet friends?

If you are real life friends then I am going to preemptively make you Unconfirmed Masons (see the wiki) so you can talk about the game in real life together.

If you are internet friends then I'll probably do the same thing but no promises.

We are Real Life friends.

• Locked thread