Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wolfsheim posted:

Also that episode where holodeck Moriarty gains full sentience and they promise to backup his save file until they figure out how to give him a body or whatever owns, though I bet it never comes up again

Prepare to be astounded: He comes back in season 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Zaeryth posted:

A very exaggerated view of the ST universe, though not with out a certain accuracy. Realistically Data wasn't seeking to be human as much as he was seeking emotion as he felt "incomplete" and mimic Human vs Vulcan because he would have to avoid emotion, easy enough for Data I'm sure! Those that didn't want to join the Federation weren't evil, Klingon's were allies, despite the war prior though IIRC that wasn't started by the Federation and def not due to a "join or die" mentality! Romulan's are what they are, joining or not has nothing to do with they're position in anything. Borg are the exact opposite of that state meant, they ARE the join or die factor, but Borg>All not Federation>Borg dir of that mentality. Ferengi would have to profit by such a joining, that's they're choice, Cardassians....yyeah, they're racist, but again, not the Federation being racist! In fact speaking of racism and "the white man going around the galaxy", DS9 put a lot of racism on the table, from a black man in space perspective even; And that's not including the oppression of the Bajoran ppl by the Cardasians for they're racist bit! As for the Q, the only way they would ever join the Federation would be if they weren't so "superior" and ahh... over Jean Luc's Dead body, lol. AAnd the Breen, so little known about them, yet when they had the oportunity to go a direction it was against the Federation, against the whole drat quadrant and all by they're choice!

The first few seasons of TNG are very much about humans roaming around and condemning everyone for being different.

I think canonically the Klingons and the Federation have only been at war twice. Once for like two days during TOS and during DS9's 4th season.

The problems with the Federation are pretty explicitly stated in DS9 too. I think there's even a character who does the borg/federation comparison.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Wolfsheim posted:

I just started rewatching TNG and I can't believe they end s2 on a clip show episode, that's less forgivable than even the space-africans and space-irish

Also that episode where holodeck Moriarty gains full sentience and they promise to backup his save file until they figure out how to give him a body or whatever owns, though I bet it never comes up again

It does actually come up lol owned

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I just started rewatching TNG and I can't believe they end s2 on a clip show episode, that's less forgivable than even the space-africans and space-irish

They had to do the clip show because of a writers strike that year.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

trek noobs qqing about shades of grey itt.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

They had to do the clip show because of a writers strike that year.

They should have just aired a rerun.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so what's wrong with Quark selling murdering and sex simulating holoquite programs?

there's no victim

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so what's wrong with Quark selling murdering and sex simulating holoquite programs?

there's no victim

so you support digital snuff??

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

TEAYCHES posted:

so you support digital snuff??

you don't??

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014

Let us English posted:

Zaeryth posted:

A very exaggerated view of the ST universe, though not with out a certain accuracy. Realistically Data wasn't seeking to be human as much as he was seeking emotion as he felt "incomplete" and mimic Human vs Vulcan because he would have to avoid emotion, easy enough for Data I'm sure! Those that didn't want to join the Federation weren't evil, Klingon's were allies, despite the war prior though IIRC that wasn't started by the Federation and def not due to a "join or die" mentality! Romulan's are what they are, joining or not has nothing to do with they're position in anything. Borg are the exact opposite of that state meant, they ARE the join or die factor, but Borg>All not Federation>Borg dir of that mentality. Ferengi would have to profit by such a joining, that's they're choice, Cardassians....yyeah, they're racist, but again, not the Federation being racist! In fact speaking of racism and "the white man going around the galaxy", DS9 put a lot of racism on the table, from a black man in space perspective even; And that's not including the oppression of the Bajoran ppl by the Cardasians for they're racist bit! As for the Q, the only way they would ever join the Federation would be if they weren't so "superior" and ahh... over Jean Luc's Dead body, lol. AAnd the Breen, so little known about them, yet when they had the oportunity to go a direction it was against the Federation, against the whole drat quadrant and all by they're choice!

The first few seasons of TNG are very much about humans roaming around and condemning everyone for being different.

I think canonically the Klingons and the Federation have only been at war twice. Once for like two days during TOS and during DS9's 4th season.

The problems with the Federation are pretty explicitly stated in DS9 too. I think there's even a character who does the borg/federation comparison.
TBH DS9 restored something for me concerning the make up of the show and the very fact that it seems to be constructed in some way that would seem to be based on the human species that we simply are not! They added flaw back in, and corruption in the federation itself, while that had been present in TNG and other episodes it was usually from an alien ahh silent invasion, lacking the word here. While sure the human race could change, would our flaws be gone... absolutely not.

As for going around condemning others for being wrong, idk, I didn't see that. Although, I can accept they were judgmental, going around pointing out things folks were doing wrong, but seemingly on a basis of... we've been though this our self and we know better..... is it they're place....naw, but then again they tend to go around with the mentality that everyone wants to join the Federation and wearing the "are you worthy" goggles.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Shadow posted:

you don't??

well ive played some call of duty games is that the same thing...

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014

Ein cooler Typ posted:

there's no victim

Interesting mentality, now apply it to current day RL.... Understanding that RL current day there are ahhh unwilling participants involved in the creation of such material... keep in mind it doesn't seem the holo tech is solely based on programming random figures as they use holo cam's to duplicate someones image. Either way the reality is if you are in to something, you dont want to pretend, considering this from an education point of view. You go to school to be a doctor, you dont wanna pretend. You like to street race, PlayStation wont cut it. These considerations dont even take in to account law, Federation, Bajoran, .... I would say Ferengi but Im pretty sure they dont have laws other than they're profit related rule book. So with all that said I have to assume your a member of the Orion Syndicate, likely the only place these activities would be accepted in any circumstance!

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Zaeryth posted:

Interesting mentality, now apply it to current day RL.... Understanding that RL current day there are ahhh unwilling participants involved in the creation of such material... keep in mind it doesn't seem the holo tech is solely based on programming random figures as they use holo cam's to duplicate someones image. Either way the reality is if you are in to something, you dont want to pretend, considering this from an education point of view. You go to school to be a doctor, you dont wanna pretend. You like to street race, PlayStation wont cut it. These considerations dont even take in to account law, Federation, Bajoran, .... I would say Ferengi but Im pretty sure they dont have laws other than they're profit related rule book. So with all that said I have to assume your a member of the Orion Syndicate, likely the only place these activities would be accepted in any circumstance!

uhh what

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
those were a lot of words :(

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

computer show me a titty

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Zaeryth posted:

Post your star trek fanfic please

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

how i would murder someone in star trek future and get away with it:
drug them and beam them into a holosuite right when someone is starting holosnuff.exe, and lock the door
so the patsy kills the real person not knowing that they're real and you end up with a zillion gigaquads of holorecordings and all that dna evidence proving they did it

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
One of the few redeeming factors of Voyager was that they had a literal psychopath serial killer.

Though he had a redemption arc episode where he became a hero.
If I'm not mistaken, DS9 had a serial killer too? A magic bullet phaser shotgun?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Computer. Show me Captain Picard. Naked. On a motorcycle.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Kilo147 posted:

Computer. Show me Captain Picard. Naked. On a motorcycle.

Computer, since I can just tell you to lock phasers on the enemy ship's hull, why the gently caress do I need Worf?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shadow posted:

Computer, since I can just tell you to lock phasers on the enemy ship's hull, why the gently caress do I need Worf?

They don't need 90% of the crew. There was that one episode where people kept disappearing until it was just Beverly and Picard, and the ship was still trucking along well enough that she couldn't convince anyone that the ship was critically understaffed. One person or a very small group of people has run the Enterprise, Voyager, or even TOS Enterprise several times.

Starfleet is mostly a way to keep "ambitious" people out of the way. Most people are content with the free apartment, food, healthcare, and entertainment. Those that aren't get funnelled off planet so they don't try to tinker with a system that works.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet that handheld planet to planet transporter Khan invented in the reboot is canon. Starfleet just buried it because it made them too obviously useless.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I love that those are basically the two choices you have. A simple life to explore your passions or a strict, hierarchical military life.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Angela Christine posted:

They don't need 90% of the crew. There was that one episode where people kept disappearing until it was just Beverly and Picard, and the ship was still trucking along well enough that she couldn't convince anyone that the ship was critically understaffed. One person or a very small group of people has run the Enterprise, Voyager, or even TOS Enterprise several times.

Starfleet is mostly a way to keep "ambitious" people out of the way. Most people are content with the free apartment, food, healthcare, and entertainment. Those that aren't get funnelled off planet so they don't try to tinker with a system that works.

weeeeeelllll not really , a goon came up with this and its certainly compelling but the fact is that this level of thought wasn't put into it because its just a TV show!!!! The federation doesn't actually exist ( :( )

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Angela Christine posted:

I bet that handheld planet to planet transporter Khan invented in the reboot is canon. Starfleet just buried it because it made them too obviously useless.

:stare:

I bet the Federation did 9/11 too.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
warp plasma can't melt iridium alloys

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

EngineerSean posted:

:stare:

I bet the Federation did 9/11 too.

they did do 9/11 in ds9

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Luigi Thirty posted:

they did do 9/11 in ds9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
am I a smug internet atheist for thinking "who watches the watchers" is the best star trek episode

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Wolfsheim posted:

am I a smug internet atheist for thinking "who watches the watchers" is the best star trek episode

i dunno if you are or not but its a fantastic episode for sure.

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014

Shadow posted:

One of the few redeeming factors of Voyager was that they had a literal psychopath serial killer.

Though he had a redemption arc episode where he became a hero.
If I'm not mistaken, DS9 had a serial killer too? A magic bullet phaser shotgun?

Oh actually yeah, good points on both accounts!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I think it's time we had a new Star Trek show. It's been like 12 years since Enterprise ended and with serial shows being the new norm, it would be great if they brought in a new DS9 style series.

Maybe a Federation Civil War?

It would have to be a proper series though, not based on the universe of the poo poo movie series.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

they're never going back. star trek died with the release of the 2009 film.

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014
OMG ur so right, you said 12 years and I hadn't realized its already been that long. IDK if they tried to copy and old mold it would just be poo poo IMO. But yeah, def need something new going on! They should spin off the more current movies that have been coming out, alt time line etc. Fed civil war isn't a bad idea!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Hmm... come to think of it, in the alternate universe based in a time after Voyager could be interesting, lots of possibilities and new backstory references to alternate universe Picard or Sisko.

Though I have to say I really don't like the new movies. They're eye candy with empty storylines. I'd prefer post-Voyager continuation.

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014

Shadow posted:

Hmm... come to think of it, in the alternate universe based in a time after Voyager could be interesting, lots of possibilities and new backstory references to alternate universe Picard or Sisko.

Though I have to say I really don't like the new movies. They're eye candy with empty storylines. I'd prefer post-Voyager continuation.

Oh completely agree, its about money no doubt.

Another option would be earth coming in to the galactic arena as more of an underdog, perhaps with less or no support from Vulcan, etc.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Zaeryth posted:

Oh completely agree, its about money no doubt.

Another option would be earth coming in to the galactic arena as more of an underdog, perhaps with less or no support from Vulcan, etc.

holy poo poo what if it's the klingons that first see them hit warp?

or no, wait, the Romulans. The "Federation" is the bad guys.

Zaeryth
Dec 14, 2014
LOL hard to see being the "bad guys" considering the Romulans! But hey, give it to a talented writer and I'm sure they can do something for us, lol.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Zaeryth posted:

LOL hard to see being the "bad guys" considering the Romulans! But hey, give it to a talented writer and I'm sure they can do something for us, lol.

It's all relative, right? If we're seeing the point of view of the Earth/Romulan alliance, then whatever the Federation is would be the bad guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

they gave him lots of stuff to do in ds9. i just watched him have a shouting match with rumplestiltskin for example

yeah but DS9 is when the horror truly began for miles

I just watched an episode of DS9 where Miles is getting treated super loving weird by everyone after coming back from some trip and it turns into this crazy conspiracy against him. It turns out he is like a spy clone or whatever that thinks it is the real O'Brian and when the real O'Brian kills him at the end the fake O'Brian whispers 'Tell Keiko I love her...' as he dies and real Miles is standing there with a thousand yard stare.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 14, 2015

• Locked thread