Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

XakEp posted:

ccna, pentester academy certs then oscp.

In that order.

Thanks. I'll look those up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

So, I'm still looking for a way to break into the information security field with little experience. Is it possible? Should I work towards the SSCP or something?

Right now I'm getting a master's in Systems Engineering and am Security+ certified.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i am dead and this article is what killed me

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
"The Avengers is perhaps the most formidable team of superheroes ever assembled."

There are at least 5 X-Men who could defeat the Avengers singlehandedly. I base this not on comic book knowledge but on the fact that I love the 6 player X-Men arcade game, and thought The Avengers was the worst movie I saw in 2012.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
How hard am I underestimating the Net+ exam? I'm going to work on memorizing OSI (Physcial, Network, something something something application :v:) most of the ports and their functions (And whether they should be UDP/TCP), and brush up on my subnetting again. I found the A+ a breeze and had no issues with it and passed it quite easily. Am I underestimating the Net+? Is there anything else I should be look to focus on before I drop the cash (and before they update to pushing IPv6 harder)?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

There's some kid out there now changing their college path as a result of this article.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm going to work on memorizing OSI (Physcial, Network, something something something application :v:)

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical

American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration has always worked for me (99% of the time you will never go above layer 5 in the networking world anyway, and even going above 4 isnt common)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 14, 2015

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dealing with our clients' infrastructure does often make me want to turn into the Hulk and crush all of it into dust, so I guess that's accurate?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Passed the first A+ test; not sure why I've been putting it off so long. I was done in 30 minutes. I'm going to schedule the next one for this weekend and then hopefully not have to do those first couple of WGU classes.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

ElGroucho posted:

Passed the first A+ test; not sure why I've been putting it off so long. I was done in 30 minutes. I'm going to schedule the next one for this weekend and then hopefully not have to do those first couple of WGU classes.

Felt the exact same way when I took it as well. Gave me enough confidence to schedule the Network+ a couple months later, and then Security+ 3 weeks after that.

Now, if it were MS exams that would be a different story - those exams depend on artificial difficulty (ie. asking questions based on minutiae of obscure operations rather than major elements where the answer is somewhat obvious). Those types of tests drive me nuts, because no one in an interview is going base hiring someone based upon them being able to remember some insignificant keystroke, vs them knowing how to not delete the existing AD infrastructure when all you want is to remove a single object. You'd think with all the money they have that Microsoft would be able to hire someone who knows how to write tests that legitimately test a person's knowledge and experience.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Ahdinko posted:

Application
Presentation
Session
Transport
Network
Datalink
Physical

American Pussy Seems To Need Deeper Penetration has always worked for me (99% of the time you will never go above layer 5 in the networking world anyway, and even going above 4 isnt common)

Princess Diana Never Thought She'd Pound Asphalt is what helped me memorize it. :v:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread is now PYF mnemonic device

rear end
Pussy
Sex
That's
Nasty
D.
P.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Always
Poop
Sitting on the
Toilet
Never
Double
Poop

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Phil Donahue Never Televises Sick People Anymore

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Mine was something about pizza and could be said in front of children you criminals.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Mine was something about pizza and could be said in front of children you criminals.

Please Do Not Throw Sausage Pizza Away, or,
All People Seem To Need Data Processing

These are the G-rated ones Mike Meyers taught me.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

These are the G-rated ones Mike Meyers taught me.

I had to go and check if Austin Powers had released an IT book, this guy looks much less exciting :(. He could have at least worked shagadellic in there

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Always
Poop
Sitting on the
Toilet
Never
Double
Poop

This is by far the best one.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So, I finally got to see how a Cisco Nexus 7000, could be sliced and diced to be just about anything you wanted it to be based on the cards inserted and how they are configured. Mind blown.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
VCP5-DCV is done. My new big decision is what to study for next. Leaning towards MCSA 2012, since having both a VCP5 and MCSA 2012 on my resume will definitely get me noticed, but at the same time I know my biggest weaknesses are with Storage and Networking and I'd like to strengthen them. So many certs, so little time.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Does anyone know a good CCENT (ICND 100-101) practice test online? I have my exam scheduled for this Sunday and I really want to make sure I pass it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

VCP5-DCV is done. My new big decision is what to study for next. Leaning towards MCSA 2012, since having both a VCP5 and MCSA 2012 on my resume will definitely get me noticed, but at the same time I know my biggest weaknesses are with Storage and Networking and I'd like to strengthen them. So many certs, so little time.

Fuckin' congrats, dude. I was hoping things turned out well for you today; I think you were in the Stanly class right after mine.

Definitely get an MCSA - maybe get 2k8 and then upgrade to 2k12. 2012 will get you noticed but 2008 AND 2012 will make you invincible.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm all registered for the Stanly class. :woop:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Taking ICND1 in 10 days, been studying for about 2-2.5 months and I still feel like I don't know the material well enough....

Read the first half of Lammle's book, set up some labs in GNS3, used the Pearson Vue NetSim, even bought a 2600 and Catalyst 2950 to get some hands on with the physical gear. Been using Transcender and doing pretty well with practice exams. It's like there is so much material by the time I finished it I was forgetting the stuff I learned at the beginning... :(

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

crunk dork posted:

Taking ICND1 in 10 days, been studying for about 2-2.5 months and I still feel like I don't know the material well enough....

Read the first half of Lammle's book, set up some labs in GNS3, used the Pearson Vue NetSim, even bought a 2600 and Catalyst 2950 to get some hands on with the physical gear. Been using Transcender and doing pretty well with practice exams. It's like there is so much material by the time I finished it I was forgetting the stuff I learned at the beginning... :(

There is a ton to remember but chances are if you've done all you said you should be prepared.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Bigass Moth posted:

There is a ton to remember but chances are if you've done all you said you should be prepared.

I guess the only way to tell is to just take it. If I don't pass the first time at least I'll have a solid readout of areas that need improvement, and sort of know what to expect for the retake. :)

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I work in Telecom, in the switch for a large wireless carrier. Lots and lots of vlans, metro-e, fiber, microwave, all cisco everything (7500, 4600, 4000, ASR 901), a brocade thing, some Ciena/WWP, T1-OC999999999, and a bunch of other stuff.

Fortunately for me, being a general internet nerd + doing field ops for another cell company is what landed me the job. Unfortunately for me, I don't have any certs at all. I know that Cisco offers the CCNA Voice track, but that seems to be for guys managing like... office-sized voip stuff.
Does anyone know of any telecom-specific certs that aren't offered by like "joebobs cell shack and certification house"? If not, what certs should I start going for? I'm not under the impression that certs matter a whole lot in my career field, as I know very few people with even a CCNA, but I'm of the opinion that knowing more about what I'm doing is never a bad thing, and having a bunch more letters on my resume couldn't hurt either.

invision fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 18, 2015

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cisco has a service provider track you might want to look at.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Bigass Moth posted:

Cisco has a service provider track you might want to look at.

Ah, drat, good call. It even specifically lists the 7600, ASR, and ME.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Got the damned A+ done; but now I have to wait for July to start at WGU because apparently my drat enrollment counselor is asleep at the wheel.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

ElGroucho posted:

Got the damned A+ done; but now I have to wait for July to start at WGU because apparently my drat enrollment counselor is asleep at the wheel.

Well then, more time to knock out some more certs and cut the classes you need to take as a result.

WarioLopez
Jan 21, 2010
So, Im a recent college graduate, and I'm looking to start IT work. I didn't major in comp sci, but I minored in bioinformatics which included courses in java, vb, c#, and sql. Does anyone think, with my lack of professional experience, that the A+ and N+ certs will overcome my lack of experience, or would it just be a waste of money?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Drewcifer913 posted:

So, Im a recent college graduate, and I'm looking to start IT work. I didn't major in comp sci, but I minored in bioinformatics which included courses in java, vb, c#, and sql. Does anyone think, with my lack of professional experience, that the A+ and N+ certs will overcome my lack of experience, or would it just be a waste of money?

I think the question is "What do you want to do"?

IT is an incredibly broad range of job types. If you can code with your Java, VB, c# and SQL, you might try dev work, you normally have to prove you can code, and I don't think there are really any certifications that cover that. If you want to do Network Admin, the A+, N+ and MSCE will go a long ways, if you want to do networking, you probably want to head toward CCNAs as a start. there's more options and loads of certifications, it all depends on what you want to do.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The MCSA SQL tracks are pretty well thought of if you're interested in pursuing junior level SQL dba positions. I can't imagine you just wing your way into a dba career though. You kinda have to want to pursue it.

People who can legitimately do MSCE Data Platform/Business Intelligence enterprise level SQL work can make some very good money.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Working towards my A+ and Network+ certs, and will probably get the Security+ as well because it seems useful in a general IT setting. (entry level stuff on the agenda, and I don't have a specific plan so I figured the general ones are a good place to start/build off of). My plan is the first 2 done by the middle of August at the latest, hopefully sooner depending on how ready I feel for each, with the security following that with no definite time table.

I grabbed the Sybex set here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1119113660/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it seems pretty decent if a little dated in parts (I assume the test is similar), and I plan to run through the associated stuff online like the practice exams. Is there anything else specific I should look into/know about that would help? Or just any advice in general?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 21, 2015

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Mazz posted:

Working towards my A+ and Network+ certs, and will probably get the Security+ as well because it seems useful in a general IT setting. (entry level stuff on the agenda, and I don't have a specific plan so I figured the general ones are a good place to start/build off of). My plan is the first 2 done by the middle of August at the latest, hopefully sooner depending on how ready I feel for each, with the security following that with no definite time table.

I grabbed the Sybex set here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1119113660/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far it seems pretty decent if a little dated in parts (I assume the test is similar), and I plan to run through the associated stuff online like the practice exams. Is there anything else specific I should look into/know about that would help? Or just any advice in general?

Professor Messer's Youtube videos are pretty much a mandatory must-see. Hits all the objectives and then goes into good detail. Also highly recommend Mike Myers A+ Passport book http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Passport-Edition-Certficiation/dp/0071795677.

Be sure to pay close attention to the sections on printers and wireless networking, although it's been a few years since I took the A+ and Network+ and they have probably changed considerably.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I took the 801 and 802 in January, and you definitely want to know printers and wireless networking. Especially memorize all the steps of laser printing and what they do, and why a page would print completely black vs blank and all that jazz. Most of the practical simulation parts in the exams I got covered setting up simple wireless networks, and there were a lot of test questions about the specifics.

There are a few anachronistic things the A+ has held on to that may pop up a couple times, make sure you hit the objectives and refresh your old tech terminology. One dumb thing I missed was RS-232, total blanked that it was a standard for serial ports used only by literal dinosaurs.

What really helped me was taking lots of practice tests, I did all the free ones online I could find like these
http://www.examcompass.com/comptia/a-plus-certification/free-a-plus-practice-tests
http://www.practicequiz.com/CompTIA-220-801-Certification-Practice-Test
http://www.practicequiz.com/comptia-220-802-certification-practice-test

and also bought the Mike Meyers Total Tester thing from his site as well as the Pearson Exam Cram Practice questions, then just alternated taking randomized practice tests from each one. I liked the Pearson one because a lot of the questions get more challenging than the actual test, so it keeps you on your toes. The Total Tester was expensive and kinda overkill, but it was fun to use and had a nice hint system.

So basically what worked for me was getting the Mike Meyers All in One A+ book, reading through it twice as recommended, then just practice testing with those two materials and whatever online stuff I could find over and over until I was getting 90+ each time. Probably overkill for most people but I had no idea what to expect, and needed something really structured. I was pleasantly surprised by how practical the A+ ended up being, though. Not a lot of gotcha stuff aside from having to memorize ports and IP classes. Just remember that each question expects you to provide the best answer out of what will often be 3 other potentially legitimate solutions, the practice tests really helped prep me for that.

Studying for the Network+ now that the N10-006 materials are coming out, apparently they're updating it a lot for this version.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Anyone have CCNA Data Center? Im studying the first book, 640-911 now from Odom, a lot of severe and extreme overlap with CCNA.

Most Ive learned that wasnt about CCNA is Nexus Switches, which we work with in the office. Very similar to IOS, however, you can do network statements with a CIDR notation of /24 if you choose over 255.255.255.0 so to speak so it speeds things up a bit.

Also learned of the "where" command, big woop, and few minor things about VRF and that they have an mgmt interface. Also when dealing with Nexus the interfaces are just ethernet, no specification of the inteface like regular switches of fa0/1 or gi1/0/25 or whatever.

Other than that, feels very deja vuish.

MrBigglesworth fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 21, 2015

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

MrBigglesworth posted:

Anyone have CCNA Data Center? Im studying the first book, 640-911 now from Odom, a lot of severe and extreme overlap with CCNA.

Most Ive learned that wasnt about CCNA is Nexus Switches, which we work with in the office. Very similar to IOS, however, you can do network statements with a CIRD notation of /24 if you choose over 255.255.255.0 so to speak so it speeds things up a bit.

Also learned of the "where" command, big woop, and few minor things about VRF and that they have an mgmt interface. Also when dealing with Nexus the interfaces are just ethernet, no specification of the inteface like regular switches of fa0/1 or gi1/0/25 or whatever.

Other than that, feels very deja vuish.

I'm working on the same exam now with Lammle's book and feel the same way. I'm actually liking NX-OS over IOS. I really have to hammer basics subnetting back into my head, though. It's been over a year since I used it on the ICND1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Does your book have any type of labs/labbing software, etc? Mine only has some practice tests.