Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Welcome to Sid Mafia’s Alpha Centauri, a mafia game for 15 players based on the greatest PC game in history.

All glory to MaliciousOnion for this.

SMAC: Outline
In the late 21st century, the UN spaceship Unity carries humanity’s last chance of survival after decades of strife on Earth. In typical sci-fi fashion the ship malfunctions and wakes everyone early, contact with Earth is lost and hey look, the captain is assassinated! Seven factions emerge, each led by a charismatic trope leader with a particular agenda. Each faction commandeers a landing pod, and we’re set for Civ II in space.

Unlike Civ, this Planet has a child-like level of sentience derived from a vast organic neural net and hates other sentient thought so much that it sends psychic-demon worms to horrifically murder the colonists :v:

This game will feature two game concepts from SMAC which I am adapting for a mafia context.

:siren:Secret Projects:siren:
Where the Civ series has Wonders, Alpha Centauri has “Secret Projects,” resource intensive constructions that give a major or minor boon to your faction. Depending on the Project, benefits might be laughably minor (+2 minerals from The Bulk Matter Transmitter) to the possibly game-breaking (permanent population boom PLUS negatives removed from powerful social engineering choices from The Cloning Vats).

In this game, each player has a Secret Project which they can activate by fulfilling a condition in their role PM. If your SP activates you will be notified of its effects by PM. The thread will be notified of its activation but not its effects. Your SP will almost certainly help you or your team.

Psi Combat
In SMAC, certain units engage in Psi Combat, which ignores traditional weapon and armour values in favour of discipline and initiative.

In this game Psi Combat is possible and will be resolved in favour of the attacker (i.e. the player which PMs me first). Think of it as just a different way of murdering someone, against which there may be different protections.

Should I Play?
New players are certainly welcome. Experience may not count for much in this setup. Non-Auspol players are also welcome, but should be aware that days will be on AEST time and the thread is likely to move fairly quickly.

Rules
- Days are 12 hours long, from 9am AEST to 9pm AEST. This should give me time to have basic flips while you’re still awake.
- Don’t intentionally post after hammer. I intend to keep the thread open at night after the flip so you can discuss the day's events.
- Hangings will be majority of players to hammer (days can end in a no hang).
- Alpha Centauri has seven factions. Don’t worry, this game does not.
- This game is role heavy, meaning that vanilla characters are certainly present. But you all have a Secret Project, expect the unexpected!
- Non-town players may have been given fake flavour.
- No editing posts. Make a clarification in a new post.
- Keep deadposts to a minimum.
- Don’t directly quote mod PMs. If you have any questions throughout the game, PM me.
- You can talk about your SP in thread, but it’s probably not a good idea.
- Most importantly, have fun. Even I don't know how this is going to work out so try and relax and enjoy the ride :)

Role FAQ: http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Roles

Sample Town wincon
You are Town-aligned. You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

:siren:GAME STARTED:siren:

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

1. Amnistar
  2. Asphyxious
  3. Bifauxnen
  4. Gough Suppressant
  5. Kleedrac
  6. Kommando
  7. MaliciousOnion
  8. Matthew Beet
  9. Mithranderp
  10. razorrozar
  11. thatbastardken
  12. Those On My Left
  13. Tirade
  14. white mans burping
  15. Zetsubou-san

birdstrike fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 17, 2015

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
I'm in!

But can you explain:

Birdstrike posted:

- Don’t intentionally post after hammer. I intend to keep the thread open at night after the flip so you can discuss the day's events.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

white mans burping posted:

I'm in!

But can you explain:

Okay! I'm thinking first hammer, then silence, then flip, then everyone can talk.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
you cannot cut back on poo poo-posting! you will regret this!

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
Interesting.

I'm wondering if this means there will just be double the amount of shitposting, or if people will cut back on day chat since theyve done most of their speculation the night before.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I'm up for a hit of SMAC

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
##vote Matthew Beet

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Welcome to the human hive.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm a smac baby, in

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Never played SMAC but cool peeps itt so I'm in.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

##vote Matthew Beet

This.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Asphyxious posted:

Never played SMAC but cool peeps itt so I'm in.

##vote asphyxious

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

##vote asphyxious

lol good luck with that.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

in

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm in, secret projects sound awesome!

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
gunna be a good smac down imo cool peeps

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

making planetfall right now

in the toilet

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

thatbastardken posted:

making planetfall right now

in the toilet

:eng101:I think you mean Recycling Tanks

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

:eng101:I think you mean Recycling Tanks

not the way I do it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

thatbastardken posted:

not the way I do it.

in the cloning vats?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*nerve staples gaspy*

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
I'm in.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

*votes u 4 planetary governor*

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Me 2

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Blimey.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015
let's you and me try an experiment toml and see what happens when two players in a mafia game have each other on ignore for the entire game

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

let's you and me try an experiment toml and see what happens when two players in a mafia game have each other on ignore for the entire game

Quoting so TOML can see this.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
The drones need me. They look up to me.

IN

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm in, great idea for the flavour Birdstrike.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
^^ Hooray!

I missed them before but it's even got the Transformertars, wow.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wow i missed those in the background. loving top shelf.
'

No demon, no love.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

I missed them before but it's even got the Transformertars, wow.

:golfclap: whoah, nice work!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Quoting so TOML can see this.

Hrm maybe

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I'm going to be boardgaming all day Sunday(get to try out the x-com game finally!), so I'd probably prefer a Monday start if possible, not sure about other peoples thoughts

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

I'm going to be boardgaming all day Sunday(get to try out the x-com game finally!), so I'd probably prefer a Monday start if possible, not sure about other peoples thoughts

Easy either way

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Quoting so Soag can see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Monday start works for me. If we can get one more player that would be good, I feel like all of the elements will still work with 12.

• Locked thread