Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Between the two, yeah, but I was mostly curious if there was something else that is also in contention.

Pocketcasts, Overcast, and Downcast are the three that usually come up the most in "best podcast app" discussions. I switched from Downcast to Overcast about six months ago and have been pretty happy with it. What does Overcast do (or not do) that you don't like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just use the apple app for awhile and use the app that promises to fix the feature that you miss in your life.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't used the default app in a long time but when it first dropped it was a horrible, broken piece of garbage that was slow and crashed all the time. I remember it getting better after the next major iOS update (can't remember if it was 5 to 6 or 6 to 7), but still wasn't as nice as whatever I had switched to by then.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Podcasts seems snappier in 8.4 beta

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The biggest problem was the constant cellular data pop up. I just turned on cellular data but told it only to download on wifi and now it's fine. It also has the huge advantage for me of being integrated win Siri.

I kind of just wish they'd kept it in the iPod app, but whatever.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I think podcasts are on there way out, anyway.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

rear end Catchcum posted:

I think podcasts are on there way out, anyway.

I think television is on its way out. Then radio. Then the Internet.

In the future there will only be apps.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

tuyop posted:

In the future there will only be weather apps.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Weather Gesamtkunstwerke

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Should be a separate thread for podcast and weather apps imo where the same question gets asked every two posts.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is Over Cast a weather app? If not, anyone know of any good weather apps?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Last Chance posted:

If you don't mind paying and/or your main concern is "Is it gonna rain today" Dark Sky by a landslide, if not I like Yahoo weather.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Nah, you're looking for Dashlane. :v:

There, the cycle is complete! Podcast, weather, Dashlane.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I never had any crashes with the default app, but when I stopped using it it was because there was no good way to sub to podcasts that required login information.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

In the future there will only be apps.

Speaking of which, brand new weather app Fresh Air is out! Looks pretty. Don't know if weather enthusiasts will approve though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Butt Savage posted:

Speaking of which, brand new weather app Fresh Air is out! Looks pretty. Don't know if weather enthusiasts will approve though.

I thought Fresh Air was a podcast.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Butt Savage posted:

I thought this app was old? Isn't it just Weather Cal's new name?

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Well hell if I know. It popped up on my newsfeed and thought it looked nice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Butt Savage posted:

Well hell if I know. It popped up on my newsfeed and thought it looked nice.

It does look nice. Thanks for the tip.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is it possible within Pages for iPhone or iPad to ignore/remove the red underline for spelling errors on a per-document basis? There's a few documents I have where it's very helpful to have it off but it's a bit of a nuisance to keep toggling it between docs.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

CaptainPsyko posted:

I thought Fresh Air was a podcast.

:newlol:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Fresh Air has an icon design that's like 85% similar to a weather icon design I made but never released publicly and it still spooks me out a little.

But now if I use that icon it would look like I stole their idea.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Fresh Air was Weather or Not, then WeatherCal and then FreshAir. It's an okay app. Shade is also a good, modern weather app. Tropos is super pretty and has an amazing refresh animation, but sort of sucks.

Can't believe I'm serious posting about weather apps.

New version of Horizon calendar is out today too. It'll be all over soon, but it seemed pretty lovely and worse than the 3 options (Sunrise, Calendars 5, Fantastical) everyone already uses.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Has anyone used Duet display before? How is it?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
It works incredibly well. However if you have a retina Mac it has a side effect of making random icons in the top bar and sometimes the spotlight box non-retina (or rather, they are at the iPad's resolution I think), which is slightly irritating.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I ended up buying it last night because it said the sale would end that day (it didn't) but it's pretty cool. I could see it being useful on the road.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What's everyone's recommendations for a good BluRay/DVD cataloging app? On OSX, Delicious Library looks head and shoulders above the rest. But puzzlingly they don't have a complementary iOS app.

I look in the App Store, and everything I saw ranged from "that looks like total poo poo" to "that looks like it might be ok, but is probably total poo poo."

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

keevo posted:

I ended up buying it last night because it said the sale would end that day (it didn't) but it's pretty cool. I could see it being useful on the road.

It's great for travel.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

OldSenileGuy posted:

What's everyone's recommendations for a good BluRay/DVD cataloging app? On OSX, Delicious Library looks head and shoulders above the rest. But puzzlingly they don't have a complementary iOS app.

I look in the App Store, and everything I saw ranged from "that looks like total poo poo" to "that looks like it might be ok, but is probably total poo poo."

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/delicious-scanner/id637919291?mt=8

You use the app to scan items into your computer's library but, yeah, there's nothing for managing all of that on your phone.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Bummey posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/delicious-scanner/id637919291?mt=8

You use the app to scan items into your computer's library but, yeah, there's nothing for managing all of that on your phone.

Yeah, I saw that, but unless I can browse my library on the go, Delicious Library is pretty useless to me. If I'm at home, I can just look on my shelf.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The blu-ray.com app is really good for cataloging.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Is there an app that I can catalogue my comic books and that will tell me when a new issue in a series I follow is out?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

rear end Catchcum posted:

Is there an app that I can catalogue my comic books and that will tell me when a new issue in a series I follow is out?

No good ones exist that aren't horrendous, buggy, or a solid mix between the two. This is the best, but as seen by the app screenshots and the actual app being rear end, it's horrible. https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id874775221?mt=8

Android users like it though and I have no idea why. It's even more buggy there.

edit: gently caress previous me, I spent all day searching and found Longboxed.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/longboxed/id965045339?ls=1&mt=8

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 16, 2015

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I've started using Tubex for the continuous play with the screen off. That part is great but the Tubex history only shows the videos watched with the app, not the overall viewing history of the YouTube account.

Do any of the YouTube apps do both of those things?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Anyone using Sunrise able to get iCloud to sync properly? It works for me for maybe 15 minutes, and then my iPhone starts prompting me for my iCloud password. I enter it, and says the info is incorrect, prompting me to reset my password. Sunrise support basically told me "we'll work on it :rolleyes: "

Alternate question: What's a good iOS calendar app that I can also access through a desktop web browser? Sunrise meets all my needs except for iCloud stuff, which is kind of annoying.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Anyone using Sunrise able to get iCloud to sync properly? It works for me for maybe 15 minutes, and then my iPhone starts prompting me for my iCloud password. I enter it, and says the info is incorrect, prompting me to reset my password. Sunrise support basically told me "we'll work on it :rolleyes: "

Alternate question: What's a good iOS calendar app that I can also access through a desktop web browser? Sunrise meets all my needs except for iCloud stuff, which is kind of annoying.

I use iCloud with Sunrise and have zero issues. I'm on the Beta channel, if you want to try that. I've used all of the iOS calendar apps (Fantastical/Calendars 5/Google Calendar/Apple Calendar) but find Sunrise to be the best. I love the Todoist integration, too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I use google calendar and reminders with fantastical for iOS and OS X. I feel pretty satisfied with how I use calendars.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

maduin posted:

I use iCloud with Sunrise and have zero issues. I'm on the Beta channel, if you want to try that. I've used all of the iOS calendar apps (Fantastical/Calendars 5/Google Calendar/Apple Calendar) but find Sunrise to be the best. I love the Todoist integration, too.

Thanks for this. I tried it out, and it seemed to keep the iPhone iCloud pop up away for a much longer period of time, but it finally came back later this evening. Guess I'm stuck with no iCloud connectivity. Such a pain in the rear end to reset Apple passwords too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

I'm glad podcast apps were recently brought up since I came to this thread for exactly that.

Generally, I think the default podcast app is completely acceptable and I have no use for features like volume normalizing or skipping silences or whatever. I enjoy the few podcasts I listen to just the way they're recorded.

The one feature I want, and would happily pay for, is the ability to get a decent notification system for when new episodes are available for podcasts. The default app seems to only order podcasts as you've ordered them manually and they stay that way. I'd like to open my app and see which podcasts have newest episodes at the top of the list, or have the option to be notified outside the app when a podcast pushes out a new episode.

Do any of the usual suspect apps do this? I've downloaded, deleted, and re-downloaded Overcast a dozen times and I can never justify spending :5bux: to unlock the features it offers that I don't give a poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

ShoogaSlim posted:

The one feature I want, and would happily pay for, is the ability to get a decent notification system for when new episodes are available for podcasts. The default app seems to only order podcasts as you've ordered them manually and they stay that way. I'd like to open my app and see which podcasts have newest episodes at the top of the list, or have the option to be notified outside the app when a podcast pushes out a new episode.

Really, any of the third party apps will sort by date and provide notifications (usually on a podcast by podcast basis if that matters, even). Some (Overcast and Pocket Casts, other I assume) can push new podcasts as they are released, rather than checking on a schedule. I haven't used the native app for a while so I don't know what it's capable of.

Downcast has a ton of options for playlists, including manual sorting, sorting by date, and/or sorting by podcast priority. It doesn't have push (or at least it didn't when I used it), but it will still notify you when new episodes are downloaded. It also doesn't seem to combine manual sorting and date sorting very well as I recall.

I personally don't like the way Pocket Casts handles 'playlists', but it does have date sorting and push notifications.

I know you said you didn't like Overcast, but I like the way it handles playlists the most. You pick which podcasts are automatically added to whatever playlist, and whether they automatically go to the top or bottom. You can assign some podcasts as priority (it's a binary choice, on or off) but you can still arrange them afterwards to your heart's content. It also has push functionality. I don't remember off hand which features are behind the paid upgrade, though.

I personally just have one big playlist in Overcast with whatever (back episodes of a variety of podcasts, usually) and new subscribed episodes just get added to the top of the list as I go. When I'm running low I'll download a few back episodes of this or that podcast and mix them into the list. I listen to a bazillion podcasts, though, so normal people may not care as much.

I always expect any question about podcast apps in the app thread to be ironic or whatever at this point so if I missed the joke just pretend I wrote something about weather widgets.