Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I agree that a lot of it is preference, but if it weren't for civil boot vs trail runner debates itt, i would never have given the trail runner paradigm a try. And now I love it. So thanks for helping me discover my preference :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I have a 20% off coupon for REI and the only thing I'm really curious about getting right now is the OR Bivy sack. I was thinking about the Helium because it looks really light and packs down small, yet still gets pretty good reviews. The alternative would be the Advanced, which is a bit more rugged and has a few more features, but is twice the price.

Any opinions?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I am going to buy some trail runners for my next 200km hike. If they let me down I'm holding this thread personally responsible.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

This is my set up: stove and pot.

Jetboils definitely boil faster but I don't like dealing with a bunch of used freezer bags on longer hikes. For me it's worth it to carry the small Ti pot. And the stove is tiny and works great. Doesn't boil as fast as the Jetboil but it's definitely adequate. IMO, Jetboils are great if a bunch of people are sharing one stove, each with their own pot/cup.

Interesting, thanks. I'd probably buy a .9 L pot, since I have a 450 mL Toaks mug now and it's pretty small for cooking. I wonder if the cheap little stove you linked would be sturdy enough for that? Looks like the SnowPeak GigaPower stove is pretty well-regarded too, in that it's said to be a little more stable than other ultralight stoves.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 15, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
It should be. A .9 L pot isn't that big, you'll just have to be careful that it's level and not to jostle it around.

Snowpeak stoves are good

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Hungryjack posted:

I have a 20% off coupon for REI and the only thing I'm really curious about getting right now is the OR Bivy sack. I was thinking about the Helium because it looks really light and packs down small, yet still gets pretty good reviews. The alternative would be the Advanced, which is a bit more rugged and has a few more features, but is twice the price.

Any opinions?

I returned my Alpine (the advanced minus a pole) two weeks ago. Each time I took it out, it collected enough condensation to make my sleeping bag damp all over. That included two nights where I left it completely unzipped and slept part of the night with the top rolled down to chest level.

Your experience might be different - I was using it in the northeast and sleeping on top of a layer of snow.

Another poster has advocated using a lightweight water resistant bivy and a tarp instead of the heavy goretex bivies, I'm going to give that a try.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The materials on the stove are definitely strong enough, the biggest concern would be it tipping over. It's half dependent on how flat the ground is where you set the stove since it rests on the gas canister. The other half is making sure the pot is centered on the burner. I think it would probably work fine.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen a lot of one-pot recipes online, but maybe they're better-adapted for steel pots - no way am I lugging cast iron anywhere. With the titanium pots do you think some basic sauteeing is out of the question? It seems like it would also be good for stews and other liquidy food.

Absolutely not--I almost always fry up a slice of spam, season it up, and cram it between a Hawaiian roll topped with cheddar cheese.

Downside is that titanium is an absolute bitch to clean, so I just bring a piece of foil for each thing I plan on frying. A bit of olive oil helps too.

My buddy picked up a MSR aluminum frying pan, and that thing is awesome for frying/cooking. Nonstick and super light. Highly recommend if you plan on cooking like that. However I usually just carry my titanium pot/frying pan lid (and titanium mug because I can't live without my morning cuppa joe).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting, thanks. I'd probably buy a .9 L pot, since I have a 450 mL Toaks mug now and it's pretty small for cooking. I wonder if the cheap little stove you linked would be sturdy enough for that? Looks like the SnowPeak GigaPower stove is pretty well-regarded too, in that it's said to be a little more stable than other ultralight stoves.

This might suit you: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PTRLR6U/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=OXDYC2T2H2EZ&coliid=I1SZH6WFPK2LE2

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've seen a lot of one-pot recipes online, but maybe they're better-adapted for steel pots - no way am I lugging cast iron anywhere. With the titanium pots do you think some basic sauteeing is out of the question? It seems like it would also be good for stews and other liquidy food.

Get aluminum instead of titanium? It's the compromise middle ground that does most things well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Get aluminum instead of titanium? It's the compromise middle ground that does most things well.

Seconded...

Titanium is great for the :awesome: factor, but it just doesn't seem to be as strong as I really thought it'd be. Good aluminum alloys seems just as light, and a heckuva lot cheaper. Possibly stronger too? It just seems that of all the cookware I've seen side by side, aluminum seems to be better :confused:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It completely depends on the alloy and treatment.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Aluminum is light, but has a tendency to permanently deform and become weaker as it is bent and twisted. Titanium has a tendency to stay stronger for longer, as it is more durable in the bend and twist type motions.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Apprentice Dick posted:

Aluminum is light, but has a tendency to permanently deform and become weaker as it is bent and twisted. Titanium has a tendency to stay stronger for longer, as it is more durable in the bend and twist type motions.

I've gone through more camp cookware than anyone should in a lifetime. Aluminium in my experience is a bend dont break type material. Titanium seems to be more durable up until the point it just breaks. I will say that I think aluminium is easier to cook on. Maybe it's just the stoves I've used but they seem to heat faster and burn food quicker.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've gone through more camp cookware than anyone should in a lifetime. Aluminium in my experience is a bend dont break type material. Titanium seems to be more durable up until the point it just breaks. I will say that I think aluminium is easier to cook on. Maybe it's just the stoves I've used but they seem to heat faster and burn food quicker.

Science explanation:

Aluminum when bent tends to permanently deform (plastic deformation) and when stretched narrows extensively (necking) before breaking. As such aluminum noticeably wears before breaking

Titanium when bent tends to snap back into shape (elastic deformation) and when stretched narrows only slightly before breaking. As such titanium seems to catastrophically fail with little warning. Also as a harder material it tends to micro crack so without a microscope wear can not be seen.

Titanium is a good metal for high impact applications while aluminum is okay for most purposes otherwise. When testing these materials in a durability situation titanium is superior, as it snaps back into shape easier and can stand more cycles before becoming noticeably weaker.

Apprentice Dick fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 15, 2015

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

alnilam posted:

Yeah it's gotta be boots in lots of snow i think.

I did hike thru miles of old snow this spring in light trail runners and i did just fine, but the snow was only a few inches deep and fairly icy/crunchy, plus the air was about 40 F. If i had been in deeper snow or colder temperatures, i would have wanted a boot.
The only way I could keep my feet dry while hiking through miles of shin high, dew soaked grass during my pheasant hunting days was to wear mid knee/knee high water proof socks.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

This is pretty much the consensus on Ti cookwear - it's more difficult to cook with, you're more likely to burn your food.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

gohuskies posted:

What do the trailrunner fan club folks do about snow? Especially in the spring and fall, most of my hikes end up in snow at some point, and I can't imagine my feet not being wet and freezing in knee-deep snow and in my Merrill Moab ventilators. Something like the Salomon Quest keeps feet pretty warm and dry even in the snow portions of the hike, while being lighter and more maneuverable than Scarpa Mont Blancs in the dry section of the trail. I really appreciate the jack-of-all-trades flexibility of leather/goretex boots in these shoulder seasons and on hikes that go from dirt and rocks and streambeds up to ice and snow climbing.

Edit: "trailrunner fan club folks" is not intended to be derogatory by the way - I read that back and seemed like it could come off that way. Just interested in how/if the ventilated shoe approach works for snow.

Moab ventilators aren't trailrunners, they're hiking shoes. Trailrunners won't have a ton of material on the upper, so they won't hold a lot of water. I know this is a matter of opinion, but shoes don't start to get better than boots until you start getting into minimalist territory and winter hiking is no exception.

I personally just do shoe -> thin synthetic sock -> bread bag or gore-tex sock -> thick merino sock -> polypropylene sock with waterproof gaiters over them in the snow. Keeps my feet dry and warm on dayhikes, with less frozen sweat condensation than boots. Traction is better on ice without spikes, but spikes are less comfortable and slip more when you need them, but they still work. Snow's less taxing because your feet don't weigh as much, and there shouldn't be a whole lot of material for water to soak into if you do a thin outer sock and have a proper minimalist runner. Always pack +1 more pair of extra socks than you would when using runners, gangrene isn't worth :siren: muh ounces:siren:

You'd be surprised how well they work. Boots definitely have their place in the arsenal, but mostly for insulation when it's really cold. Or when I know I'm going to need spikes. Also tend to lean towards boots for anything after sundown, whereas trailrunners are more of a dayhike thing in the winter. They aren't for everyone, or every hike in the winter, but they aren't as bad as you would think and you shouldn't let your experiences with hiking shoes cloud your judgment of trailrunners because they're a totally different beast.

---

Edit: Here's a question of my own for Pacific Northwest people: how do you sleep? I'm trying to get back into backpacking this summer, and I'm pretty much starting from scratch after getting rid of most of my backpacking stuff over the course of various moves. I've heard hammocks are really popular here and you can set them up almost anywhere? I've always done freestanding tents but I'm really starting to like the idea of a hammock or tarp tent for the sake of versatility.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 16, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^ Yeah, I think you're absolutely right on the moabs. Too much material to be a trail runner. I just wish more shoes were like my cycling shoes, just straight up mesh.

:barf: for putting feet in bread bags. No way in hell am I stuffing my sweaty sasquatch feet in plastic to suffocate and stew.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Edit: Here's a question of my own for Pacific Northwest people: how do you sleep? I'm trying to get back into backpacking this summer, and I'm pretty much starting from scratch after getting rid of most of my backpacking stuff over the course of various moves. I've heard hammocks are really popular here and you can set them up almost anywhere? I've always done freestanding tents but I'm really starting to like the idea of a hammock or tarp tent for the sake of versatility.

Dooo it. I highly recommend taking a gander at hammockforums.net -- great resource. All my hammock gear weighs much less than my tent (which I barely even fit in at a diagonal), and I sleep so much better/comfier than I ever have outdoors.

Two 8' webbing straps (sewn into a loop on one end) will hang me drat near anywhere, and you can add whoopie slings (extra half an ounce) that'll extend the range to trees up to 30' apart.

Oh, and if you're handy with a sewing machine (or wanna learn) it's super cheap to get into. A 10$ taffeta nylon table cloth, fifteen bucks worth of climbing webbing/climbing biners, some amsteel blue, and you're good to go! A regular sleeping pad works great for insulation underneath you, and you can unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a quilt.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 16, 2015

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

OSU_Matthew posted:

:barf: for putting feet in bread bags. No way in hell am I stuffing my sweaty sasquatch feet in plastic to suffocate and stew.

I think they mean paper bread bags. At least, I hope they do. :ohdear: You know, the type you get when buying bread in a bakery. The material is similar to baking parchment used for lining a baking tray. Afaik, it's sort of water proof.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ Yeah, I think you're absolutely right on the moabs. Too much material to be a trail runner. I just wish more shoes were like my cycling shoes, just straight up mesh.

Dooo it. I highly recommend taking a gander at hammockforums.net -- great resource. All my hammock gear weighs much less than my tent (which I barely even fit in at a diagonal), and I sleep so much better/comfier than I ever have outdoors.

Two 8' webbing straps (sewn into a loop on one end) will hang me drat near anywhere, and you can add whoopie slings (extra half an ounce) that'll extend the range to trees up to 30' apart.

Oh, and if you're handy with a sewing machine (or wanna learn) it's super cheap to get into. A 10$ taffeta nylon table cloth, fifteen bucks worth of climbing webbing/climbing biners, some amsteel blue, and you're good to go! A regular sleeping pad works great for insulation underneath you, and you can unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a quilt.

I don't even have a sleeping bag or pad right now, so I figured this would be a good crossroads to try out hammocks, as I'm not already invested in ground sleeping. It seems like here in Washington, the hanging possibilities are endless. I always assumed the main weakness to hammocks was the weight, so that's good to hear. I'm definitely going to be looking into them more. Do you use your hammock year round, or are there times/conditions where you would rather sleep another way? Should I have a bivy or tarp laying around just in case?

The only other thing I really have left to get is a cooking setup. Right now I'm eyeing the MSR Microrocket + MSR Titan (or evernew pasta .7L?) + Sea to Summit Alpha Lite Spork (lightest Ti i can find, I don't like plastic utensils.) Any reason not to, or anything else I should compare them to? I'm mostly unsure about the pot -- should I go with something a little smaller, so my stove/gas can don't rattle around as much & so my stove isn't so tippy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've switched to gore-tex socks which are actually kind of breathable, but bread bags were surprisingly not that bad compared to being exposed to the elements. They suck but they're free and get the job done.
Check out the Saucony Peregrines if they happen to work with your foot shape/arch type/yada yada. Exactly what you're describing, the upper is just straight up mesh with the absolute minimal amount of rubberized stuff on it for structure and a little bit of a toe-cap. I've tested a bunch of runners and haven't found any that drain quicker. Think brooks cascadias with like 3oz less material on the upper.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 16, 2015

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks for comments on cookware and stoves. I picked up a GigaPower stove from the REI sale and I'm leaning toward an aluminum pot, just to save a few bucks. And it'll be easier to fry my tuna or whatever, I hope.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Just taking a second to rave about how the Uniqlo Air-Ism Mesh shirts are the perfect warm weather hiking shirts and how I'm never going back to outdoor/athletic brands. Casual looks, ultra-light, reinforced seams, $12 each, and the mesh weave is the perfect balance between "airy" and "opaque."

They seriously need to make some minimalist shorts ala field shorts out of the same material.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations for cheap synthetic long sleeved shirts? Button up or not. Also interested in hearing recommendations on gaiters. I have a decent pair but they up to my knee almost. Looking for something a bit less obtrusive.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Tsyni posted:

Any recommendations for cheap synthetic long sleeved shirts? Button up or not. Also interested in hearing recommendations on gaiters. I have a decent pair but they up to my knee almost. Looking for something a bit less obtrusive.

Outdoor Research and Black Diamond make the best gaitors.

No personal recs on button up longsleeves, but a lot of the nicest tee's come in a LS version.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tsyni posted:

Try checking your local Goodwill for synthetic shirts--99% of synthetic is the same, maybe with nylon/spandex for extra stretchiness.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I don't even have a sleeping bag or pad right now, so I figured this would be a good crossroads to try out hammocks, as I'm not already invested in ground sleeping. It seems like here in Washington, the hanging possibilities are endless. I always assumed the main weakness to hammocks was the weight, so that's good to hear. I'm definitely going to be looking into them more. Do you use your hammock year round, or are there times/conditions where you would rather sleep another way? Should I have a bivy or tarp laying around just in case?

The only other thing I really have left to get is a cooking setup. Right now I'm eyeing the MSR Microrocket + MSR Titan (or evernew pasta .7L?) + Sea to Summit Alpha Lite Spork (lightest Ti i can find, I don't like plastic utensils.) Any reason not to, or anything else I should compare them to? I'm mostly unsure about the pot -- should I go with something a little smaller, so my stove/gas can don't rattle around as much & so my stove isn't so tippy?

I use my hammock year round, from single digits to over a hundred degrees. It's infinitely tweakable to do whatever you want. Speaking of tarps, you should look at Superfly Tarps for one stop shop cover. If you wanna save weight, have a better view, Mac Cat Tarps are what I'm using now with my DIY hammock, and they're quite nice. If you're looking at buying a hammock specific quilt/underquilt, I upgraded my DIY quilts to Underground Quilts Zeppelin/Flight Jacket quilts and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Monies VERY well spent in my opinion. It's much lighter than ground options, because you're basically splitting a sleeping bag in half so you don't compress the bottom insulation, and only carrying the rain cover equivalent of the tent for the tarp. No poles, sleeping pad, footprint worth of weight to carry. A hammock plus straps is negligible weight, probably comparable to a tent body (if any of that makes sense).

I really, really love my sea to summit aluminum spork--actually just bought another longer one earlier today for eating out of freezer bags.

Have you had a chance to check out alcohol stoves? I'm a convert from a traditional white gas stove--soooo much lighter, no fidgity parts to break, and I've done all sorts of cooking with it. Downside is I think it goes through more fuel volume than with white gas, and you've gotta refill it if you're cooking for a lot of people. HEET fuel de-icer makes great fuel for alcohol stoves, and can be bought nearly anywhere. Again, personal preference, but it's definitely worth consideration. There's no right or wrong answer :)

This is similar style to what I've got--indesctructible, easy to make with an aluminum bottle cut in half, riveted together, and with holes drilled through it

Just for pot reference, I've got a 1.5L Snowpeak Titanium pot/frying pan lid combo. Size is spot on, perfect for cooking for 2-3, or boiling a nalgene of water for one. I don't like the handles (still need a pot grabber) or the fact that the lid doesn't lock/clip together. But I do like that I can store my stove inside my mug, along with my fuel/utensils inside the pot so everything is all together and organized.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Tsyni posted:

Any recommendations for cheap synthetic long sleeved shirts? Button up or not.

Well they're not all that cheap but I'd still recommend Columbia's Tamiami II. Super light and outrageously breathable, they whisk me to the top of the highest mountains on the lightest breeze...

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Our zpack 20 degree bags have been delivered. They are much lighter than I expected. I can't wait to get them out to the mountains.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

Try checking your local Goodwill for synthetic shirts--99% of synthetic is the same, maybe with nylon/spandex for extra stretchiness.

I use my hammock year round, from single digits to over a hundred degrees. It's infinitely tweakable to do whatever you want. Speaking of tarps, you should look at Superfly Tarps for one stop shop cover. If you wanna save weight, have a better view, Mac Cat Tarps are what I'm using now with my DIY hammock, and they're quite nice. If you're looking at buying a hammock specific quilt/underquilt, I upgraded my DIY quilts to Underground Quilts Zeppelin/Flight Jacket quilts and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Monies VERY well spent in my opinion. It's much lighter than ground options, because you're basically splitting a sleeping bag in half so you don't compress the bottom insulation, and only carrying the rain cover equivalent of the tent for the tarp. No poles, sleeping pad, footprint worth of weight to carry. A hammock plus straps is negligible weight, probably comparable to a tent body (if any of that makes sense).

I really, really love my sea to summit aluminum spork--actually just bought another longer one earlier today for eating out of freezer bags.

Have you had a chance to check out alcohol stoves? I'm a convert from a traditional white gas stove--soooo much lighter, no fidgity parts to break, and I've done all sorts of cooking with it. Downside is I think it goes through more fuel volume than with white gas, and you've gotta refill it if you're cooking for a lot of people. HEET fuel de-icer makes great fuel for alcohol stoves, and can be bought nearly anywhere. Again, personal preference, but it's definitely worth consideration. There's no right or wrong answer :)

This is similar style to what I've got--indesctructible, easy to make with an aluminum bottle cut in half, riveted together, and with holes drilled through it

Just for pot reference, I've got a 1.5L Snowpeak Titanium pot/frying pan lid combo. Size is spot on, perfect for cooking for 2-3, or boiling a nalgene of water for one. I don't like the handles (still need a pot grabber) or the fact that the lid doesn't lock/clip together. But I do like that I can store my stove inside my mug, along with my fuel/utensils inside the pot so everything is all together and organized.

I've made and messed around with alcohol stoves. I plan on testing the waters with them, but I want something "tried and true" before I just up and make the switch. I loved my old Pocket Rocket to death & the Micro seems like nothing but improvements. I'm not totally sold on relying on an alcohol stove because wind, so I want to mess around with them casually a bit more before I up and rely on one.

1.5L is definitely a lot bigger than I will need. I'm looking for a setup that would be idea for 1 or 2 night solo backpacking; light weight, but big/wide enough to actually cook in. Maybe borderline big enough to cook for two once in a while, but this isn't necessary since I mostly would be backpacking solo or with people who bring their own stuff. It should also be able to pass as a mug, but I'm not too worried if it's a bit more cooking oriented if need be.

I've been looking at a few pots.. I think I want something around 800mL-1L and wide so that I can fry on it, and maybe even get away with using the same pot in the winter for a season. Right now I'm pretty much between the msr titan and the evernew ultralight 0.9L or 1.3L.. Anyone know if there's any difference between which size gas can I can fit in them? I like the pot + frying pan style ones too, but I haven't seen much in the way of smaller/light weight ones.

I'm also going to get some hot-lips, screw the ounces. Any other things worth carrying around on a kitchen set if I actually want to cook more than boiling water? Right now it's stove + pot/mug + hot lips + spork + aluminum foil wind shield that i can cut pieces off to fry things. Maybe a little plastic card to use as a spatula/pan scraper? Haven't decided if I want a mug yet as well -- I'm just going to go without one for a while and see if the need arises.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The plan today was to do our first scramble of the year, but of course it's May Long Weekend in Alberta so there was no real chance of it happening. It's currently snowing outside, as it does every year.

We did head out for a little walk around a place called Wedge Pond in the rain, and it was still worth it because we did see some pretty sights.

But yeah, if you ever end up in the Canadian Rockies on Victoria Day Holiday/May Long Weekend, dress for rain and snow. The best part is everyone waits to go camping expecting that "this year will be different!" so half the province is out getting soaked in campgrounds right now.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
The more I read about hammocks the more I realize you need to be autistic to figure these things out. Hmm I wonder how much an underquilt costs? http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html yeah ok gently caress i don't know what any of this means

I still really want to try it out though, there's trees everywhere here and they seem comfy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

The more I read about hammocks the more I realize you need to be autistic to figure these things out. Hmm I wonder how much an underquilt costs? http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html yeah ok gently caress i don't know what any of this means

I still really want to try it out though, there's trees everywhere here and they seem comfy.

Haha, yeah, it's a pretty steep learning curve... I don't think I've ever worked harder to be lazier.

To break it down, a 3/4 length 20° underquilt is perfect for everything but deep winter. If you're a cold sleeper, add a few ounces of extra stuffing.

Underground quilts is a literal mom and pop shop, so it ain't the best designed website...

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

OSU_Matthew posted:

Seconded
Titanium is great for the :awesome: factor, but it just doesn't seem to be as strong as I really thought it'd be.

The reason Ti gear is lighter is, since titanium is stronger, you can use less of it to accomplish the same goal. That's why Ti pots burn more than Aluminum, they're thinner and so the heat is harsher and less even. Same reason cast iron is great for cooking over a fire.

cheese posted:

The only way I could keep my feet dry while hiking through miles of shin high, dew soaked grass during my pheasant hunting days was to wear mid knee/knee high water proof socks.

theroachman posted:

I think they mean paper bread bags. At least, I hope they do.

Plastic bags are fine, bread bags are best but grocery bags or a large plastic trash bag cut up into footwraps are adequate. The goal is just to keep the cold water in your sneakers outside of the warmer water in your socks. It feels a little gross and slippery when you walk, but if you are worried about your feet stewing, just rub them with petrollium jelly or hydropel before you go.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Have you had a chance to check out alcohol stoves? I'm a convert from a traditional white gas stove--soooo much lighter, no fidgity parts to break, and I've done all sorts of cooking with it. Downside is I think it goes through more fuel volume than with white gas, and you've gotta refill it if you're cooking for a lot of people.

If you want fidgety parts to break, try a remote fuel alchohol stove! There are reasons for using one!

I use a SuperCat design myself for short trips, only problem is I have to make a new one every 10 trips or so. Thats alright, they only cost $0.50 anyways. I could probably fix that by using a pot stand, but :siren: muh ounces:siren: .

OSU_Matthew posted:

HEET fuel de-icer makes great fuel for alcohol stoves, and can be bought nearly anywhere. Again, personal preference, but it's definitely worth consideration. There's no right or wrong answer :)
Heet is tolerable, but for the uninitiated, do not buy isoproplyl heat. The packaging on the kind you want is yellow, isopropyl alchohol is red.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Ground < narrow body-length plastic sheet < torso-length CCF pad with backpack under legs and gear under head< synthetic sleeping bag < silk liner < tarp overhead.

EDIT: I lost Tashan Dorrsett's quote fragment, but for light mountaineering (ex. Mt. Hood) where you will be spending less than 10% of your time ice climbing, I use microspikes and trail runners. Downclimbing without front points is hard, but self-belay makes it safe, if slow. When I need want more speed and I have a good runout I just let myself fall down the slope and use my ice axe to slow down. I use a leash to retain the axe and have practiced it enough to be able to unclog my tool from ice buildup and brake with my feet when the spike and head aren't doing enough. Dulls the axe if you do this too much, so make sure you sharpen it when you get home.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 18, 2015

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I went back to collect the hammock straps, biners and rap rings that I left in the woods last Saturday. They had been harvested already. I hope they have a good new home :smith:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I've made and messed around with alcohol stoves. I plan on testing the waters with them, but I want something "tried and true" before I just up and make the switch. I loved my old Pocket Rocket to death & the Micro seems like nothing but improvements. I'm not totally sold on relying on an alcohol stove because wind, so I want to mess around with them casually a bit more before I up and rely on one.

It might not be the exact type of alcohol stove you were looking for but I've really loved my Trangia stove. If you want to go ultralight with it you can just take the brass stove and leave the windscreen and stand at home. They work just as well as the red bull and cat food stoves that people make themselves. I think they hold up much much better though.

Tsyni posted: posted:

Any recommendations for cheap synthetic long sleeved shirts? Button up or not.
I've had really god luck with Target's cheap workout clothing. There shirts are just as good as the more expensive outdoor brands in my opinion.

Picnic Princess those pictures are amazing! Is Wedge Pond part of a larger park and trail system?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Picnic Princess those pictures are amazing! Is Wedge Pond part of a larger park and trail system?

It`s located in Spray Valley Provincial Park, which is part of the mass conglomerate park/recreation area known as Kananaskis Country here. It`s just a 1km loop right beside the highway, actually. It's also a day use area with picnic tables and the pond is stocked for catch and release fishing. But since it was raining my husband and I were the only people there, and it was quite pleasant.

There's actually a number of scrambles in the area, and we attempted one overnight a couple years ago for Canada Day, but got lost on a maze network of mountain biking trails we didn't know existed until that night. We weren't lost lost, we knew precisely where we were at all times because we could see all the peaks around us, we just couldn't find the proper trail up the mountain so after 4 hours with the sun starting to rise, we gave up, bushwhacked back to the highway, and made the rest of a day a road trip instead.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Keldoclock posted:

Heet is tolerable, but for the uninitiated, do not buy isoproplyl heat. The packaging on the kind you want is yellow, isopropyl alchohol is red.

Ideally I'd be using pure grain alcohol, but multi purpose fuel is too rich for my blood :ohdear:

SeaborneClink posted:

I went back to collect the hammock straps, biners and rap rings that I left in the woods last Saturday. They had been harvested already. I hope they have a good new home :smith:

Dang, that sucks :(

Good news is you can go to REI, pickup eighteen feet of bright red climbing webbing for a few bucks, as well as some ultralight climbing biners, and you can easily sew up a new suspension system on the cheap! Cut the 18' strap in half, and sew a loop on one end of each length, and you're done! Wrap it around the tree, through the loop, and attach the carbiner with a marlin spike hitch, and clip it to your hammock. Easy, very versatile, and the red straps will hopefully catch your eye next time you're packing up

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Good news is you can go to REI, pickup eighteen feet of bright red climbing webbing for a few bucks, as well as some ultralight climbing biners, and you can easily sew up a new suspension system on the cheap! Cut the 18' strap in half, and sew a loop on one end of each length, and you're done! Wrap it around the tree, through the loop, and attach the carbiner with a marlin spike hitch, and clip it to your hammock. Easy, very versatile, and the red straps will hopefully catch your eye next time you're packing up
This was unironically the plan.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It might not be the exact type of alcohol stove you were looking for but I've really loved my Trangia stove. If you want to go ultralight with it you can just take the brass stove and leave the windscreen and stand at home. They work just as well as the red bull and cat food stoves that people make themselves. I think they hold up much much better though.

I grew up with the trangia complete set as the only stove I ever knew as a kid and they are great, you can even get a gas attachment for the pots and windscreen if you wanna speed it up, but while the trangia stove itself is very durable, it is quite a lot heavier than the redbull stoves people make themselves and also a lot more expensive. Making your own approximation is both fun, cheap and ultralight. I'm pretty sure you know that, but I just wanted to add this point for the guy you're helping :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I finished my Arizona trail thru hike on wednesday and I'm now totally bored at home. I'm more than willing to answer questions if anyone is interested.