Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Honestly I should have done this months ago but since Fae's LP is winding down it seems like as good of a time as any so...

Welcome, friends, to a very special presentation of Ocarina of Time. Faerie Fortune's excellent Blind LP brought us back to the days when we were 10 and didn't know what the hell was going on, and Doctor Kill's Glitch Run takes us to the speedrunning side of things, but both of those are so...normal. The camera doesn't freak out of its own accord, they have full control over Link at all times... No, what we need is something different. Something...special.

This is Ocarina of Time, Chaos Edition. If you're familiar with Super Mario 64 Chaos Edition, then you should know exactly what we're getting into. If not...well, it won't take long. Progress is slow, and seemingly impossible at times, but the power of savestates and the almighty Frame Delimiter have taken us far beyond what any of us thought was possible. In fact, barring the Mirror Shield loving up the Twinrova fight, the game should be 100% beatable, start to finish.

This is a Stream LP - we try to stream for a couple hours every weekend and make as much progress as we can. My usual guests are Chaos Argate and Faerie Fortune, but the practice streams have whoever and every so often Admiral Curtiss steps in, so give them all a big round of applause for putting up with this thing. Actual Progress Streams™ are usually on Saturday or Sunday afternoons (I'll give notice as to when specifically as soon as I can), but Practice Streams are usually spur of the moment and I'll throw out a tweet an hour before or something.

Regarding spoilers, the LP is technically almost over (This was originally recorded alongside Fae's LP) so it really doesn't matter, but just out of principle I don't want to see a single black bar in the thread. I encourage everyone to speculate about what will go wrong in the Spirit Temple/Ganon's Tower and talk about anything that might derail us in the final stretch of the game. I've also highlighted a couple of the videos if you just want to see some of the more...unique things that the game has done so far and you don't want to watch the previous 80% of the game.

:siren: If you have problems with Epilepsy or Motion Sickness, do not watch these videos! :siren:

I'm going to post that again because it's REALLY loving IMPORTANT:

:siren: If you have problems with Epilepsy or Motion Sickness, do not watch these videos! :siren:

Videos

Stream 1 (March 22)
Part 1 (Kokiri Forest) (click me!)
Part 2 (Deku Tree)
Part 3 (Deku Tree)
Part 4 (Deku Tree)
Part 5 (Castle Town)
Part 6 (Sacred Forest Meadow)
Part 7 (Kakariko Village)
Part 8 (Death Mountain)

Stream 2 (March 29)
Part 1 (Dodongo's Cavern)
Part 2 (Dodongo's Cavern)
Part 3 (Zora's River)
Bonus 1: King Dodongo (click me!)
Part 4 (Lost Woods) (click me!)
Part 5 (Jabu Jabu)
Part 6 (Temple of Time) (click me!)

Stream 3 (April 11)
Prep
Part 1 (Death Mountain) (click me!)
Part 2 (Fire Temple) (click me!)

Stream 4 (April 18)
Part 1 (Ice Cavern) (click me!)
Part 2 (Water Temple) (click me!)
Part 3 (Water Temple)
Part 4 (Water Temple)

Stream 5 (April 25)
Part 1 (Sacred Forest Meadow)
Part 2 (Forest Temple)
Part 3 (Forest Temple)
Part 4 (Forest Temple) (click me!)

Forest Temple Practice Stream (just watch this whole goddamn stream)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Stream 5 (Part 2)
Part 1 (Water Temple)
Part 2 (Water Temple)
Part 3 (Water Temple) (click me!)

Stream 6 (May 2)
Part 1 (Death Mountain)
Part 2 (Bottom of the Well) (click me!)

Stream 7 (May 10)
Part 1 (Shadow Temple)
Part 2 (Shadow Temple) (click me!)
Part 3 (Shadow Temple)

Stream 7 (Part 2)
Part 1 (Gerudo Valley)
Part 2 (Gerudo Valley)

Stream 8 (May 17)
Part 1 (Haunted Wasteland)
Part 2 (Spirit Temple - Child)
Part 3 (Spirit Temple - Child)
Part 4 (Spirit Temple - Child) (click me!)

Stream 8 (Part 2)
Part 1 (Spirit Temple - Adult)
Part 2 (Spirit Temple - Adult)
Part 3 (Twinrova)

Bonus Stream (May 22)
Part 1 (Castle Town)
Part 2 (Lon Lon Ranch) (click me!)
Part 3 (Lake Hylia)
Part 4 (Gerudo Valley) (click me!)
Part 5 (Ganon's Tower)

Stream 9 (May 24)
Part 1 (Ganon's Tower)
Part 2 (Ganon's Tower) (click me!)
Part 3 (Ganon's Tower)
Part 4 (Ganon's Tower) (click me!)
Part 5 (Ganondorf)
Part 6 (Ganon) (click me!)

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Thread voted 2, vote of 5 accepted. :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I wish this game did more than the same five things every time, and maybe one or two context-specific things. It's not so much chaotic as predictably annoying.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah unfortunately the most common things you get are A) Being forced in one direction for a bit, B) Backwalking, or C) Moonjump. I do think this game is far more interesting than Super Mario 64 is because of how heavily scripted it is. In Super Mario 64 nothing can really go wrong because at worst you just re-enter the painting or get a game over, whereas in this game everything is really tightly scripted so even a small change like Link flying away in the middle of a cutscene can have serious side effects and it's funny to watch the game desperately try to keep things going.

That said, the best effects are the ones that are mostly cosmetic and just look silly as hell, like when an area spawns in skewed or upside down, or the Hookshot glitch. God I love the hookshot. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let us never forget the joy that was the end of the Ice Cavern because of how spiteful that came off as or the end of the Water Temple. :allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Shadow Link spawning out of nowhere in the Temple of Time was pretty special, admittedly. More actor swaps like that would be hilarious and ridiculously stressful - say, every NPC in Kakariko turns into Volvagia. Or Volvagia gets swapped with the Cuckoo Lady.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

Shadow Link spawning out of nowhere in the Temple of Time was pretty special, admittedly. More actor swaps like that would be hilarious and ridiculously stressful - say, every NPC in Kakariko turns into Volvagia. Or Volvagia gets swapped with the Cuckoo Lady.

Final boss... Gohma... and this time she's pissed!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Because they kept bringing it up, just what game did they inflict on you after the first stream?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

We never revealed it because we ended up not doing it but the game was Prayer Warriors which I know about due to watching Alex Steacy from the LoadingReadyRun crew absolutely flip his poo poo while playing it

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So barring any last minute schedule changes, we're probably going to be streaming tomorrow at around 1:00 PM EST. Haunted Wasteland, Child Spirit, and maybe some of Adult if time permits.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

This is pure magic. :allears:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Hey I'm not sure what emulator you're using but if you're using it, I think I remember Project 64 had a fix for the inventory loading lag in the "Cheats" section.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If there is, it's not built in and I'm not sure I want to be loving around with adding even more cheats to this. I mean it's surprisingly stable for what it is, but I'd rather not take any chances, you know?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's fair. Just something I thought I'd mention. Honestly, if you beat this someone should make you a medal.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

someone should make you a medal.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

:buddy:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You deserve a second one for your efforts in recycling and conservation.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Here we go!

https://hitbox.tv/Artix

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If I ever see my someone crying in front of me about his dad and the villagers being kidnapped and fed to a dragon I'm gonna moonwalk away, because Link is my role model.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Stream 8 (May 17)
Part 1 (Haunted Wasteland)
Part 2 (Spirit Temple - Child)
Part 3 (Spirit Temple - Child)
Part 4 (Spirit Temple - Child)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I made this to commemorate the moment when Chaos Mode won.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I would've laughed so hard if it let you equip the shield as s kid :allears:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
"Link, that's rude! You don't motorboat random black ladies!" That was certainly a thing that was said in that stream. :mmmhmm:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And here's the rest of the stream.

Stream 8 (Part 2)
Part 1 (Spirit Temple - Adult)
Part 2 (Spirit Temple - Adult)
Part 3 (Twinrova)

I was going to put some kind of explanation on the many ways that Twinrova is a garbage fight in Chaos Mode instead I'm just going to say that I apologize for nothing and if I had to play it, you have to watch it. :colbert:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh my loving god, I'm amazed you stuck through that fight.

I would've just quit halfway through and said the Chaos Mode run was over forever.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

It was amazing to see that fight live. Though I'm more worried about if the rest of the game can be done, given that you have no bombchus.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Well, maybe he'll get them when picking up more if they're on neither c button inventory. Alternatively, they've shown up on c right, he could grab them hammer style.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Geemer posted:

Well, maybe he'll get them when picking up more if they're on neither c button inventory.

No, that's not how the inventory works. The game does not care in the slightest about the mappings from the real inventory to the button inventory.

I'm not familiar enough with the OoT engine to comment on the specifics of our missing Bombchu dilemma, but searching around the internet seems to imply that only the Deku Sticks and Deku Nuts can be "restored" by acquiring more of them. So we'll have to think of some other method of getting Bombchus back.

I could see them being swipe-able off the C-Right roulette, and now that we technically have an amount of them we should probably even able to use them that way. This requires either luck or patience, though.

Alternatively, we could write Bombchus to the B button. Sadly, we can't do this with regular Bottle Adventure due to the way the game handles the minigames that have items on B -- such as the Bombchu alley! However, there are methods to still get them on B, if we want to attempt those.

Worst case, there are more then enough ways to skip into the Ganon's Tower center.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Okay so reading through the specifics, this should be possible, although I have no idea if it's feasible with Chaos Mode:

- Get a Bottle on Adult B through any method.
- Travel back in time.
- Get exactly 13 Deku Nuts, equip a Fish to C-Right, and travel forwards in time.
- The game will, via the offset of the Item on C-Right (Fish), copy the Deku Nut item amount to B. 13 is Farore's Wind, so we should now have Farore's Wind on B.
- Set a warp point in any dungeon.
- Go to Lon Lon Ranch and play the horse riding game.
- During the game, use the Farore's Wind on B to warp to the previously set warp point.

Now we're in an odd state that the site calls Windy B, due to the fact it allows the use of Farore's Wind anywhere. A to us much more interesting property of this state though is that the game does not update the B button properly. This allows us to write items to B that would normally be removed automatically, such as Bombchus!

From now on, we need to be careful to not do anything that causes the game to disable the B button, such as entering water or climbing something, as this would disable B until we "fix" the odd state we're in.

Now, we actually write Bombchus to B, which should be doable by:
- Get another bottle on Adult B. Since regular methods are unavailable due to our odd state, the only sensible way I'm seeing is to wait for Chaos Mode to do this, so this might take a bit. There is an alternative method which requires us to get a trade item that expires and wait for the timer to run out while previously having written a bottle to TempB and making sure to never update TempB during the entire above procedure, but that seems excessive.
- Travel back in time.
- Get exactly 9 Deku Nuts, equip a Fish to C-Right, and travel forwards in time.
- Bombchus are item #9, so we should now have Bombchus on B!

If I'm reading this right, we might have to make sure to never pause the game, as that might get rid of the Bombchus on B. But anyway, once we have Bombchus on B, it should be easy enough to solve that one puzzle in Ganon's Tower that requires them, and after that we're good. We can fix the odd state now by going to Lon Lon Ranch again.

I have tried none of the above, but based on the information on the site, it should work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh boy we're going into full-on speedrun bullshit now. :allears:

Okay but seriously, that's actually pretty doable with one major exception. Chaos Mode can get a bottle on B pretty easy, but it's a bottle full of bugs, which usually turns into a Deku Stick somewhere along the way. And I think we need a straight bottle to do Bottle Adventure bullshit.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

We can't use that duped bottle on your bombchu slot?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

We can't use that duped bottle on your bombchu slot?

No no, we need a bottle on B, and Chaos Mode gives us a bug bottle on B. I'm asking if that's okay or we need a straight bottle.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Any Bottle on B should work. The important part is that we force the game to update the "bottle contents" of Adult Link's button inventory based on what changes occurred to the "inventory" as child link.

e: "Item values 20-55, if put on B, allow Bottle Adventure to work. The most commonly used item is a bottle." Compare with the Item Chart, Bugs are 29, so should work.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 19, 2015

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Any Bottle on B should work. The important part is that we force the game to update the "bottle contents" of Adult Link's button inventory based on what changes occurred to the "inventory" as child link.

e: "Item values 20-55, if put on B, allow Bottle Adventure to work. The most commonly used item is a bottle." Compare with the Item Chart, Bugs are 29, so should work.

The thing is that I don't think Chaos Mode's bug bottle on B is actually Bottle Adventure. When Artix tries to empty it, it stays full of bugs - that is, it doesn't update the bottle contents.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Hey, only one way to find out. We should just try it and see. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the Chaos Mode cheats was "write Bug to B each frame" which stays active for x number of frames, so we might just have to get Bugs on B and then wait a bit for the cheat to unload.

Also, we should probably first get to that bombchu room in Ganon's Tower before we do all that bullshit to get all possible cutscenes and puzzles out of the way.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
All of that assumes of course that Chaos Mode doesn't disable the B button before you can capitalize on the Bombchus being on it.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
If I had any artistic ability at all I'd draw Navi with the Sunlight Maggot on her, talking about how she IS the sun, yada yada. But anyway, good thread, I can't believe you're actually attempting this too, so good on you.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Since Fae is going to finish up Ocarina on Saturday, and we're almost certainly going to finish up this mess on Sunday's stream, I think that calls for a special celebration. I'm not saying there's going to be a stream on Friday afternoon, but there might be a stream on Friday afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
A stream I should be able to attend.

This will be glorious.

• Locked thread