Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Kinda out-of-nowhere question, but for those who have seen it, is the violence in this generally more cartoony and stylized? My fiancée, who I might be seeing this with, isn't a fan of brutal, bone-snappy violence a la Drive, but I assume there's not a lot of that to go around here, given what I've seen in previews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So I'd never really seen a Mad Max movie before, but the things I've seen from the trailers looks like dope poo poo and I'm pretty hyped to see this new. But I figured, hey, since I've never seen any of these movies before, I might as well warch them before seeing the new one.

I'd a little under an hour into Mad Max so far and... it's not what I was expecting. Like, at all. It's 70's as gently caress, for one thing, probably since it so heavily involves cars that at most are given a paint job to disguise them as future cars, but even if they weren't the style and cinematography would have dated it just as easily.

I also wasn't expecting "Mad Max" to be a family man. given the impression the beginning gave, and the legacy of the series, hell even the name of the movie and character, I was expecting some kinda lone warrior type, but NOPE, he's a husband and a father, and this is a police/family drama.

he's just got his black car, so it looks like shits about to go down. post more thoughts after the movie. do wanna say first that this soundtrack is bizarre

Ha, this post is the best.

I think Mad Max reminds me a lot of Deliverance. The tone, editing, sound, and general awful-poo poo-happening vibe.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jenny Angel posted:

Kinda out-of-nowhere question, but for those who have seen it, is the violence in this generally more cartoony and stylized? My fiancée, who I might be seeing this with, isn't a fan of brutal, bone-snappy violence a la Drive, but I assume there's not a lot of that to go around here, given what I've seen in previews?

There's maybe one shot I'd consider graphic, and it's a quick glimpse. Think Terminator 2.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Jenny Angel posted:

It's not at all gory, there's a couple of nasty things which happen but it's mostly off screen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On the podcast I'm listening to, Miller clarifies the state of the other Max films:

- Mad Max Wasteland: a fully written screenplay, takes place over 1 year
- Untitled Max Max: a fully written novella, takes place over 7 years
- Mad Max Furiosa: a non-Max film about Furiosa, didn't clarify if it was backstory or spinoff of Fury Road

He's also willing to let another filmmaker take over a Mad Max film at some point if it was the right talent.

e: Also still open to producing an anime version of Max.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 15, 2015

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

If she can handle T2, or an Indiana Jones movie, then sure.

It got an R-rating for language. The summary of the gore is this 1/10th of a second flash of a dude's face getting messed up.

Everyone else gets shot and falls over really fast, or disappears in fireballs.

It's violent as hell, but the blood and guts takes up about a whole second of film, combined.

If you have an aversion to seeing cool cars die, then this movie will cause PTSD. Because holy poo poo they used so much kerosene and pyrotechnics in this movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jenny Angel posted:

The vast majority of the gore is simply blood sprays and stabbing, or bloodless bodies running under wheels. Any really gory stuff like potential dismemberment and squashed body parts are cut away from or implied off-screen. The goriest thing to happen in full view is an explosive crossbow bolt to the chest that exposes his ribcage, but he ends up flying away from the camera as it happens so it doesn't linger. It's about as gory as your average Call of Duty game, if that gives perspective.

Also, just to confirm, there's no rapey stuff at all. It's implied in the backstory, but there's absolutely zero sexual assault and almost zero sexual content that's not kept in the background. The closest thing is the women being pumped for their milk, which doesn't really have any sexual overtones to it. Disturbing, yes, but not sexual.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I think this movie could/should be straight-up PG-13, but I also don't know much about the details of the rating system. It's actually tough for me to even think of too many graphically violent parts.

The goriest bit was mentioned earlier, it's probably the really short shot near the end when Joe's mask/jaw gets ripped off. You barely see it and then you later get another split-second shot of his body where you can just barely see the gore. In fact, anything that could be considered gory is going to be in a fast cut. The only other thing I can think of is when the old mother who has the seeds gets slashed. It looks really bad the moment you see it happen, but every time you see here after that the wound is mostly covered and not graphic.

Quite honestly, the most R-rated part for me was mostly done through dialogue/offscreen: The wasteland Caesarean. Stuff like that and the implied backstories made it feel R, not the blood.

There's even one bit that I thought was gory from the trailer but isn't really. That shot where the motorcycle hits the side of the War Rig and gets pulled under the wheels and there's a puff of red. I thought that was an edited bloody scene, but the guy is actually holding those colored smoke signal canisters and a red one bursts when he gets run over.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

On the podcast I'm listening to, Miller clarifies the state of the other Max films:

- Mad Max Wasteland: a fully written screenplay, takes place over 1 year
- Untitled Max Max: a fully written novella, takes place over 7 years
- Mad Max Furiosa: a non-Max film about Furiosa, didn't clarify if it was backstory or spinoff of Fury Road

I want all of these right now.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ror posted:

I think this movie could/should be straight-up PG-13, but I also don't know much about the details of the rating system. It's actually tough for me to even think of too many graphically violent parts.

The goriest bit was mentioned earlier, it's probably the really short shot near the end when Joe's mask/jaw gets ripped off. You barely see it and then you later get another split-second shot of his body where you can just barely see the gore. In fact, anything that could be considered gory is going to be in a fast cut. The only other thing I can think of is when the old mother who has the seeds gets slashed. It looks really bad the moment you see it happen, but every time you see here after that the wound is mostly covered and not graphic.

Quite honestly, the most R-rated part for me was mostly done through dialogue/offscreen: The wasteland Caesarean. Stuff like that and the implied backstories made it feel R, not the blood.

There's even one bit that I thought was gory from the trailer but isn't really. That shot where the motorcycle hits the side of the War Rig and gets pulled under the wheels and there's a puff of red. I thought that was an edited bloody scene, but the guy is actually holding those colored smoke signal canisters and a red one bursts when he gets run over.

It has a ton of language (PG-13 films only get a single "gently caress" to use) and what little gore is there is probably enough to help tip it over the edge.

Imp Boy
Feb 8, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

What podcast would this be? Sounds like it's worth checking out after I see the movie tonight.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I love the intro to this review:

quote:

J.G. Ballard — who knew a thing or two about speed, wastelands, the human death drive, and the mortification of flesh by flying auto parts — once described 1981’s The Road Warrior, the second of George Miller’s Mad Max movies, as “punk’s Sistine Chapel.” Ballard was not as big a fan of 1985’s Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. But even Michelangelo wasn’t immune to the impulse to sequelize, returning to the Apostolic Palace after nearly 25 years (and the Sack of Rome) to paint The Last Judgment above the chapel’s altar. It features a buff, wrathful Jesus, tons of un-fig-leafed full-frontal nudity, chaotic composition that rejected all notions of universal hierarchy, two-fisted angels clobbering wretched sinners, demons dragging the condemned down into hellfire, a likeness of one of Michelangelo’s critics with a snake’s jaws clamped on his nuts, and a cameo by the artist himself as a face on some flayed skin. The lesson here: If you have to come back, it’s best to come back hard-core.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

It has a ton of language (PG-13 films only get a single "gently caress" to use) and what little gore is there is probably enough to help tip it over the edge.

Don't forget about the milking nudity.

Imp Boy posted:

What podcast would this be? Sounds like it's worth checking out after I see the movie tonight.

Happy Sad Confused. He also had a nice brief interview on The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith, but it was a bit fluffy in comparison.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It did feel like they were obscuring just enough gore, nudity, and language to earn a PG13 rating (I forgot about the milking scene till just now). I was kind of surprised to learn it was rated R. That was fine by me though. More explicit gore would have just made it harder for me to watch, and having less meant that the mask ripping off scene got a big reaction from the theater.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, was I really the only one who didn't mind the night shots? I took the deep blues as an artistic choice rather than an effort to authentically simulate night. Miller does a lot of things in this that are artistic choices, some of which violate typical action film conventions.

I really liked the shot of Max/Furiosa driving at night with the girls in the back huddled around a lantern. The blue and orange in that scene was really striking.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Just got back from seeing this and holy poo poo what did I just watch?!

I didn't think much of the old Mad Max films; I remember hating the first one and thought the other two were interesting and fun at best so I only went to see Fury Road based off reviews.

And well... I don't know how to express my feelings about this film without sounding like a melodramatic, pretentious rear end in a top hat but this loving film changed me. George Miller is completely insane and utterly brilliant. What a loving film. "Best action film I've ever had the privilege to witness" doesn't quite come close.

Sorry, but I really had to gush as I went on my own. My skull feels different.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It definitely feels like I shouldn't bother to see another movie for the action ever again.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, was I really the only one who didn't mind the night shots? I took the deep blues as an artistic choice rather than an effort to authentically simulate night. Miller does a lot of things in this that are artistic choices, some of which violate typical action film conventions.

I actually really liked them. I think the stylization made it feel like it was still wretched outside even when the sun was down, almost like there was a haze in the atmosphere or dust in the air that didn't let the desert cool down at night. If it were more realistic I feel like it would feel like too much respite from the heat and action. It also allowed a bit of a surreal feeling amongst that landscape, appropriately.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 15, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Robutt posted:

Just got back from seeing this and holy poo poo what did I just watch?!

I didn't think much of the old Mad Max films; I remember hating the first one and thought the other two were interesting and fun at best so I only went to see Fury Road based off reviews.

And well... I don't know how to express my feelings about this film without sounding like a melodramatic, pretentious rear end in a top hat but this loving film changed me. George Miller is completely insane and utterly brilliant. What a loving film. "Best action film I've ever had the privilege to witness" doesn't quite come close.

Sorry, but I really had to gush as I went on my own. My skull feels different.

Other than your insane opinion about the original film, this sums up my feelings on the new one perfectly. I was trying to talk to a couple people who hadn't seen it after getting home last night and I literally did not have the words to do it justice.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I choose to interpret them cutting his hair at the beginning of the film as symbolizing how they're going to cut off all the fluff that doesn't matter from the rest of the movie.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Bout to go see it! :neckbeard:

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

Other than your insane opinion about the original film, this sums up my feelings on the new one perfectly. I was trying to talk to a couple people who hadn't seen it after getting home last night and I literally did not have the words to do it justice.

Yeah I just wish I could find the words to convince my action-hating friends to come with me to see it again but even my wordless gibbering about how loving incredible this film is did not persuade them.

And about the first one - I think it was more about my expectations than the film itself. I was aware of Mad Max for a long time before I actually sat down and watched them and so going into the first one expecting a kicking rad apocalypse punky wasteland film and getting a strange dystopian road-rage thriller film meant I could not enjoy it. I wish I had just gone into Mad Max 2 without watching the first one as I think it makes for a better experience if all you know of Max is what the beginning of the film tells you: he was a cop and his family were killed by crazies and he is now a broken shell of a man. Actually seeing those events take place was not something I needed or wanted to see.

Also regarding the characterisation of Max in the new film: I love his strange hallucinations/ghost family stuff. A really effective way of showing Max as kind of unhinged - also I'm pretty sure in one of his flashes of memory/nightmares we see Toecutter's bulging eyes from the first film when he dies. That was a cool touch.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had the exact same experience with the original Mad Max. It just feels weird to watch when you're more familiar with the cultural cache the name has than the film itself.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Don't forget about the milking nudity.

If I remember correctly, the milk pumps obscured the nipples. Nipples are the big thing for ratings because our society is literally terrified to acknowledge that women have them outside of a sexual context, so covering them up keeps the rating down even if the majority of the boob is hanging out.

On the other hand, there IS a naked woman later on who more than makes up for that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lotish posted:

I choose to interpret them cutting his hair at the beginning of the film as symbolizing how they're going to cut off all the fluff that doesn't matter from the rest of the movie.

I read it as Miller apologizing for the parts of Thunderdome that slipped out of his control.

e: vvv It's really just that the film feels so much more like Road Warrior than it does like 1 or Tunderdome, so the cutting of the hair felt like "Sorry about where that last one went to, we're getting back to the good stuff."

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 15, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I would have had to have seen Thunderdome from start to finish and know more about it to decide if I agree with that, but it and Road Warrior are the two I have only seen bits and pieces of.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

On the other hand, there IS a naked woman later on who more than makes up for that.

And I cringed for her rope burn.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

Lotish posted:

I had the exact same experience with the original Mad Max. It just feels weird to watch when you're more familiar with the cultural cache the name has than the film itself.

A concise and better way of putting it. It's a shame really as I'm sure if I had seen the film without any preconceived notions I would have enjoyed it.

All the mother's milk stuff in the new film is the kind of batshit insane world-building I wish more films would attempt. I mean it's completely insane and horrifying but also completely makes sense within the world of the Citadel and Immortan Joe.

And yeah I don't know anything about the production of Thunderdome but the film did strike me as quite uneven - I watched it quite recently so it's fresh on my mind. The barter town and kids sections felt completly divorced from one another, though both were very interesting in their own ways; Tina Turner shows some serious action chops in that film and the kids very existence leads to some unsettling unsaid implications.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tom Hardy's portrayal as Max muttering, grunting, and gesticulating as a guy who's given up on humanity and become slightly unhinged in the process was really well done.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

Tom Hardy's portrayal as Max muttering, grunting, and gesticulating as a guy who's given up on humanity and become slightly unhinged in the process was really well done.

In one interview, Miller said that Max hadn't talked to anyone in possibly years, so Hardy's performance at the beginning makes a lot more sense to me - he was just getting used to speaking again.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Robutt posted:

And yeah I don't know anything about the production of Thunderdome but the film did strike me as quite uneven

I think the biggest problem with Thunderdome is that George Miller wasn't fully engaged, due to the death of Byron Kennedy [his long-time friend and fellow Mad Max producer] just before production started. He initially was just going to scrap the whole movie, but decided to go ahead with it to help him through the grieving process. It got to the point where he even had to bring in another guy to help him out with the directorial duties, so I can imagine that things happened with the movie that he might not have done otherwise if he was fully engaged [as seemed to be the case with Road Warrior and Fury Road].

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, the milk pumps obscured the nipples. Nipples are the big thing for ratings because our society is literally terrified to acknowledge that women have them outside of a sexual context, so covering them up keeps the rating down even if the majority of the boob is hanging out.

Funny you should mention that. I talked with a guy yesterday who was ready to take his five year old son to see this until he found out there was nudity in it. He flat out admitted that it was okay for his child to watch all the hyper-violence, but the nudity was a bridge too far. loving people.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god. Went into the film completely blind, haven't even seen the previous films, and loved it. The visuals, the character design, the vehicles - I could even tell the otherwise identical goons apart purely from what they drove and how they acted. Really enjoyed the film at first then when the guy playing an electric guitar that shoots fire on top of a truck packed full of speakers appeared I basically wet myself laughing and fell in love with it again. :allears:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Funny you should mention that. I talked with a guy yesterday who was ready to take his five year old son to see this until he found out there was nudity in it. He flat out admitted that it was okay for his child to watch all the hyper-violence, but the nudity was a bridge too far. loving people.

A half second shot of a woman's butt?

*clutches pearls*

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I convinced my action-movie-hating girlfriend to come see it with me (I showed her the MRA tantrums), and I was scared about how explicit the sexual abuse, sex slavery, etc. stuff would be but for a movie that's literally about cars exploding for about 2 hours, it was really surprisingly tactful.

"Tactful" is how I would describe the movie in one word. It seems so over the top and crazy from the outside, but once you reach the saturation point for the hyperviolence, it almost became a zen-like experience. Here are all these characters surrounded by absolutely bonkers non-stop action, but they have this driven singularity of purpose that's practically unflinching. The most intense parts of the movie in retrospect were when things slowed down: you're forced to remain present in the action, but when the movie finally lets off the gas, when the emotions come pouring out, when things go silent, even for a second, that's really when the insanity of it all really hits you.

The dialogue was so lean, and aside from the mandatory climax one-liner (which I was so, so glad about it going to Furiosa), it's never hokey for even a second. I can't even remember a single comic relief line. The movie is so self-serious and really exists on its own terms, and what I thought was really the crowning achievement of the movie was that it was so completely believable. This, a movie with a guitarist standing front and center on a giant war machine covered in amps, fire spewing from his guitar. It could have so easily slipped into ridiculousness and self parody.

And that's not even to mention the fantastic characterization, which I could go on and on about (Furiosa is basically my favorite action movie her ever), but other people have talked about that at length. This movie is a masterpiece, I came out of the theater completely blown away even after reading all the hyperbolic reviews.

And my girlfriend loved it.

Kickass film.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There's a little humor, mostly from The Dag (the really sarcastic blonde wife).

"I thought you weren't crazy any more?"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Maybe I missed something, but what was the whole blood bag deal? I know Max had a universal blood type, but not why they needed the transfusions. Did it have anything to do with the "night fevers" or was it just a weird thing they thought would make them stronger?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nux was weakened by his horrifying tumors, which presumably all the war boys have. I guess he just needed a little fresh healthy blood to pep him up a bit.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a little humor, mostly from The Dag (the really sarcastic blonde wife).

"I thought you weren't crazy any more?"

I didn't think it was humorless. It just felt appropriate to the film, bitter and sarcastic and not there for the sake of laughs. That's more what I mean by comic relief, you know, kinda shoehorned/out of place stuff. The humor was there for the characters, not the audience, if that makes sense.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I still find Nux's "He looked at me!" "He was scanning the horizon!" arguing with Slit hilarious.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Philip Rivers posted:

I didn't think it was humorless. It just felt appropriate to the film, bitter and sarcastic and not there for the sake of laughs. That's more what I mean by comic relief, you know, kinda shoehorned/out of place stuff. The humor was there for the characters, not the audience, if that makes sense.

I always liked Road Warrior's sense of humor, where you'd have things like a goofy comic relief character comedically try to put out some flames on his pants while he makes a wacky face, only to get pulled off of a moving truck and horrifically crushed by another car's wheels. Your guard gets let down JUST long enough for that death to really hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

feedmyleg posted:

Nux was weakened by his horrifying tumors, which presumably all the war boys have. I guess he just needed a little fresh healthy blood to pep him up a bit.

And hey, extra adrenaline from the dude strapped to the front of his death rocket! VROOOM!

Philip Rivers posted:

The humor was there for the characters, not the audience, if that makes sense.

This, very much so. Despite some absolutely hilarious moments and lines, none of them felt like anything but the characters being the characters. Like everything else in the movie it just felt really organic. Despite everything in the movie being various shades of batshit, I was totally sold during the whole thing and was only rarely reminded that it was just a movie.

Which is pretty admirable for the type of film it is.

• Locked thread