Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-N49aM7NwY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFaiI90xm5g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

You made the snobbiest post about rap music, though. :psyduck:

I stated my own outlook because it was similar to the goons cousins by the sound of it and it was relevent. I even called myself a "sjw" to make fun of myself and acknowledge this is a minority opinion: how is that such a snobby post? :psyduck:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xjfpXhwf4

I think Onyx is an acquired taste, sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't.

Sounds like the new album, Against All Authorities is a lot more explicitly social-leaning than anything I've heard from Onyx before. Every track I've listened to so far is talking about police brutality and socially-ingrained racism/discrimination.

EDIT: and a celebration of Chris Dorner, who I contend would have turned into a folk hero had he not killed some civilians in addition to the dirty cops he killed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZCN9Yxep28

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 15, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Benjamin Arthur posted:

I stated my own outlook because it was similar to the goons cousins by the sound of it and it was relevent. I even called myself a "sjw" to make fun of myself and acknowledge this is a minority opinion: how is that such a snobby post? :psyduck:

You say mainstream rap doesn't have a point while recommending the exact opposite of what dude was looking for and wonder how that's not snobby? I mean you could've made the same post without the lovely opining on the state of rap music.

I was gonna make a joke asking how long you've been writing for Noisey but your head's too far up your own rear end for even them.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

alansmithee posted:

You say mainstream rap doesn't have a point while recommending the exact opposite of what dude was looking for and wonder how that's not snobby? I mean you could've made the same post without the lovely opining on the state of rap music.

I was gonna make a joke asking how long you've been writing for Noisey but your head's too far up your own rear end for even them.

I said I didn't listen to it because it doesn't seem to have much a point yes, I said this because his cousin likely has the same views. I then shared some rappers his cousin might actually like because a mature person would recognise that helping someone find music to meet their tastes is more productive than being a snobby dickhead and deciding their music is wrong and that they need reeducation. I did throwin some mainstream rap that I liked to try to be helpful to his original question, but only a dickhead would read that post and think "hmmm yes your tastes are obviously superior to your cousins, here's some music that he won't like but should anyway because I say it's better".

The idea that I'm the snob in this situation is hilarious.

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
A couple of (probably white) posters lament a white boys choice in rap and post about how to go about changing it- Not snobs.
A poster explains why he may feel that way as he used to be very similar and instead suggests rappers that actually may meet his original tastes - A massive snob

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Benjamin Arthur posted:

A couple of (probably white) posters lament a white boys choice in rap and post about how hi to go about changing it- Not snobs.
A poster explains why he may feel that way as he used to be very similar and instead suggests rappers that actually may meet his original tastes - A massive snob
Good thing I'm not included in this, it's a hell of a thing to have to wake up in the morning and know you've been accused of being white

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Benjamin Arthur posted:

A couple of (probably white) posters lament a white boys choice in rap and post about how to go about changing it- Not snobs.

Nigga please

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Good thing I'm not included in this, it's a hell of a thing to have to wake up in the morning and know you've been accused of being white

> Yo! NMD Raps - accused of being white

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Kenshin posted:

> Yo! NMD Raps - accused of being probably white

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Kenshin posted:

> Yo! NMD Raps - accused of being white
tits or gtfo
Why do some hip hop fans have a weird race version of "hey, there aren't any girls on the internet"

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
If you think your opinion on a topic is superior to others because you spend time posting on the internet about it you're white regardless of actual skin colour imo

Vv Yes those are posts I made, cool of you to empty quote them vv

Benjamin Arthur fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 15, 2015

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Most of us go trough the "my music is the best, people who disagree with me are idiots with no taste" phase at about 13. Adults do not care about the music preferences of other adults to an extent worth getting mad over.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

As a sjw human being myself who often shuns mainstream rap as it seems to lack much of a point, I've arrived very late to the Kendrick Lamar party and am loving The Recipe/King Kunta so maybe try those if you want to show him that weed and bitches can sound better than real issues rap.

e; lol nvm i got this post ready then had to do something at work for 10 min and by the time i pressed post this already became a dead horse

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Benjamin Arthur posted:

If you think your opinion on a topic is superior to others because you spend time posting on the internet about it you're white regardless of actual skin colour imo
drat, can i print and show this post to the next cop that pulls me over (he probably already smells weed!)
When does my white card come in the mail

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So many quotes for thread title, so little mod attention to implement them

> Yo! NMD Raps - When does my white card come in the mail

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Really can we make it a rule if u live in Europe you have to say so when you post

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Vv Yes those are posts I made, cool of you to empty quote them vv

you are super dense/stubborn/dumb/petulant/ and probably have no business conversing with other human beings hth

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i dont listen to rap i only listen to hip-hop

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Really can we make it a rule if u live in Europe you have to say so when you post
I feel like most people already do by being someone who actually posts European rap though....
it's like a huge golden star on their armband or something, you can see it from a mile away

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

40 lbs to freedom posted:

you are super dense/stubborn/dumb/petulant/ and probably have no business conversing with other human beings hth

Actually I'm pretty sure the people who think they have business trying to change a dudes musical tastes because their own taste in music as it so happens is just that drat good are actually the stubborn and petulant ones and I think the people who would call me a snob for suggesting music the guy might actually like according to his own tastes actually are super dense and dumb ones but we can agree to disagree :)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure the people who think they have business trying to change a dudes musical tastes because their own taste in music as it so happens is just that drat good are actually the stubborn and petulant ones and I think the people who would call me a snob for suggesting music the guy might actually like according to his own tastes actually are super dense and dumb ones but we can agree to disagree :)
I just wish people in real life subscribed to goon theories of race because it'd be really helpful for me in certain situations out there if someone just looked at me and went, "Hmmmmmm, you saw what Benjamin said about internet posts...this guy checks out..."

vvvv but I'm having a very good time? Sorry it's not halftime for you yet man. just post a thugga gif or something, you'll get there

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 15, 2015

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I just wish you would both shut up

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Benjamin Arthur posted:

Yeah, but your post did nothing but condemn mainstream rap. It's obvious that the dude's cousin thinks the same way about "Real poo poo rap" or whatever, but he also goes on to say that he ALSO likes stuff like MF DOOM and Outkast, which isn't the most socially conscious stuff. Looking at only the similarities you have with the guy's cousin, and replying based on that without even knowing what his post is about is what makes you a snob. It's like you couldn't help but throw your outlook on rap as a whole out there, without expecting any flak about it. You're focusing on extremes, and it makes you out to be someone who only listens to rap in a vacuum. There's plenty of other rap that blurs the line, and isn't simply about one thing or another. It's also bullshit to look at music as though it needs to be something more than A Thing you enjoy listening to.

void_serfer fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 15, 2015

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Saw a poo poo ton of responses and thought something cool had come out :what:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

thathonkey posted:

Saw a poo poo ton of responses and thought something cool had come out :what:

come on now, it's always race relations itt

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah, but your post did nothing but condemn mainstream rap. It's obvious that the dude's cousin thinks the same way about "Real poo poo rap" or whatever, but he also goes on to say that he ALSO likes stuff like MF DOOM and Outkast, which isn't the most socially conscious stuff. Looking at only the similarities you have with the guy's cousin, and replying based on that without even knowing what his post is about is what makes you a snob. It's like you couldn't help but throw your outlook on rap as a whole out there, without expecting any flak about it. You're focusing on extremes, and it makes you out to be someone who only listens to rap in a vacuum. There's plenty of other rap that blurs the line, and isn't simply about one thing or another. It's also bullshit to look at music as though it needs to be something more than A Thing you enjoy listening to.

It was one sentence which just explained that type of attitude, I didn't have any intent on insulting anybody else's taste in music and I even opened with "I'm a sjw human being" just so goons wouldn't feel the need to get all upset. I knew what the guys post was about, it was criticising his cousins tastes in music and the motivations for those tastes, and assuming he'd be better off with tasted more in line with himself; which is snobby and childish.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

You calling yourself a human being doesn't deny others the pleasure of rightfully following suit.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Wow that RTJ video is really well done.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Uh that dude's cousin should listen to Goodie Mob, Organized Konfusion, 3 6 Mafia and then on to Gucci for the rest of time.

Anyway, I haven't got round to downloading the new Thugger tracks but I've been listening to Barter 6 lot (listening to right now in fact). I kinda burnt out on The Tour Pt 1 about a month ago but it's great.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Yeh honestly I cannot believe all these ppl are making so much money off white skate culture. They don't understand what the burbs where like.

Raffles posted:

I'm in the queue to see Tyler in London and can confirm crowd is 95% white.

Cultural appropriation ftw

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Reverse cultural appropriation is still cultural appropriation

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Culture is a sewer

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I love this thread and all of you. I also love "ignorant" rap music and if you're turning your nose up like that's below you you're missing a lot of good music.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

I love this thread and all of you. I also love "ignorant" rap music and if you're turning your nose up like that's below you you're missing a lot of good music.
Same. I am literally what people would call an SJW but I still listen to a lot of stuff that revels in its own ignorance (Vinnie Paz :lol:)

There's also something to be said to listening things to understand perspectives that are extremely different from your own (just because I can't personally relate to something doesn't mean I don't see the intrinsic value of the artist relating their own experiences and perspectives)

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
A$AP Rocky - What's Beef snippet? unfinished track? idk

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
good, artsy film clip for probably my favorite rtj2 track - early https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJJyKlRxyvA

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kenshin posted:

I think Onyx is an acquired taste, sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't.

Holy poo poo, Onyx is still around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Hs30L6Cwk

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

RCarr posted:

Holy poo poo, Onyx is still around?

Yeah, and they've been working with Snowgoons a lot.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Kenshin posted:

Yeah, and they've been working with Snowgoons a lot.

My mother was camp counselor (when I went to the camp too) for Stickyfingaz's little cousin and dude is legit nice as gently caress....came in and signed every article and even did a free mini concert for us.