Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels
It'd be cool if someone made a :effortless: mod that had a Ratbag skin with super-clumsy strikes/dodges/whathaveyou and all his combat awesomness is a product of just amazing luck with tripping or stumbling or dropping his sword at the perfect time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
If the next game had multiple playable characters, I could totally see Ratbag as the secret bonus character who is no good at combat and is essentially a glorified trophy...unless you want to prove that you're really goddamn good at the game.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Just caught up with this LP. Why are we keeping Grisha around? He seems... boring, and he gets in the way far too frequently. I'm not saying we have to hunt down and permakill him, but I don't see any reason to keep him alive either. Just shank him and let the RNG decide whether he lives or dies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Iunnrais posted:

Just caught up with this LP. Why are we keeping Grisha around? He seems... boring, and he gets in the way far too frequently. I'm not saying we have to hunt down and permakill him, but I don't see any reason to keep him alive either. Just shank him and let the RNG decide whether he lives or dies.
He's precisely the sort of captain that I proposed Lazyfire Fiat for. No one gives a poo poo about him, Lazyfire should be free to kill him if he wants or not.

Also I changed my mind about Rukdug, though he's loving lethal his voice and personality isn't really anything special, and he's just another archer guy. Kill him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

But what about his cool hat?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LoonShia posted:

But what about his cool hat?
I mean, yeah, he's got a super cool hat, but I don't think that's enough now that we've seen him in action

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

As Lazyfire demonstrated, if you beat a warchief's challenge, then die, you don't have to beat the challenge again to lure them out.

Given now low effort the lady skin was, it does not surprise me that they were too lazy to include a Ratbag skin. Even if it's a terrible shame.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
Lazyfire, just chiming in to say I'm enjoying the LP, you do good work.
That being said, I would like to also cast my vote for you just murdering whatever captains you come across that the thread hasn't specifically called out for saving.
More dead orks, more new orks. :colbert:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dooky Dingo posted:

That being said, I would like to also cast my vote for you just murdering whatever captains you come across that the thread hasn't specifically called out for saving.

Or, if nothing else, less need to run from every captain.

Though I did like you terrifying off all of the helpers with the first captain.

And Ratbag does show up once more in the story.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dooky Dingo posted:

Yeah, the plan is to go after a bunch of the captains no one has voted to keep around, but Grisha, for how boring he is, actually got voted in as "promote" in the first couple votes and on one has really specifically said "go kill his rear end."

That said, the only three really protected at this point are Dush, Ushgol and Pushkrimp and so I guess I should really make a poll at some point to gauge interest in the rest of the captains. Time to go back and see who people nominated.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Grisha is boring, kill him dead.

Also, I noticed a theme in our favourite orcs: Dush, Ushgol, Pushkrimp. Apparently we really like that syllable.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Loving this LP. I played as far as the Black Hand but I sucked so badly at that point I just kept dying, plus I was really directionless with my free play. In the end I just stopped playing. I'm really enjoying watching the game being played properly, and I'm curious to see where it goes.

Also, chalk me up as a devoted Pushkrimp fan. Dudes got the moves.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Grisha's 'runs fast' gimmick has played out. Take his head, clear the board.

I want to see Ushgol and Dush become Warchiefs, but beyond that I'm ambivalent on the board as it stands.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Torz needs to become a bodyguard for Dush when Dush becomes a warchief. The ripper and the friendliest orc in Mordor, travelling together.

I would say make Torz into a warchief himself, but the game is way less fun with a full pack of warchiefs on your side.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Grisha's 'runs fast' gimmick has played out. Take his head, clear the board.

I want to see Ushgol and Dush become Warchiefs, but beyond that I'm ambivalent on the board as it stands.

I thought his gimmick was that he had a really funny facial expression in his original orc board picture. That said it's probably time to put him out of his misery.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Oh jesus christ I just realized that the "captains video I posted was the raw file and not the edited one. This is what I get for not watching it before loading it. That's in the process of being fixed either way.

Vote on Torz the Friendly's fate

Vote on Grisha the Uncatchable's fate

Vote on Rukdug's fate

Vote on Non-Protected Archers. These are archer captains not selected by the thread.

You'll notice that there is a new option, the Death Threat. This is pretty easy to send to a captain, just grab an orc and instead of interrogating them you send them off to the relevant captain to say you are coming for them. I've also included a popular option from a few days ago and now we're talking about killing all the captain level archers and hunters that aren't voted on my the thread.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Honestly, I'd suggest "Any orc we vote to permakill, death threat them beforehand", just because of better runes for you to show off. Also more bloody battles with them. :unsmigghh:

Nekomimi-Maiden fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 16, 2015

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love Talion just snapping at Ratbag. He's trying to be all cool and protagonist badass and Ratbag just derps all over it. :3:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Funny, since Talion is the least interesting character in the whole story. He's basically a chunk of wood with a frowny face drawn on the front of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LoonShia posted:

Funny, since Talion is the least interesting character in the whole story. He's basically a chunk of wood with a frowny face drawn on the front of it.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Lazyfire posted:

You'll notice that there is a new option, the Death Threat. This is pretty easy to send to a captain, just grab an orc and instead of interrogating them you send them off to the relevant captain to say you are coming for them. I've also included a popular option from a few days ago and now we're talking about killing all the captain level archers and hunters that aren't voted on my the thread.

You need to death threat every captain that's been hanging out in the stronghold, then try to take on as many of them as possible. I don't care who dies, I just want to see how much insanity this will cause.

I can't believe how many Captains are continually hanging around in the strongholds. I swear there were at least 3 I killed by accident by thinking I was stealth killing a lonely orc around a fire. I think the most I ever saw in the same area was 3.

edit: Ratbag is my favorite character. He's easily the most interesting in the story.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I love Talion just snapping at Ratbag. He's trying to be all cool and protagonist badass and Ratbag just derps all over it. :3:

Talion has ZERO patience for Ratbag. I love it.

I just wish they kept the buddy cop thing going through the whole game instead of giving us like one or two more appearances like you said.

Skrewtape
Sep 10, 2003
I like pie
I noticed LazyFire made the same mistake I did I my playthrough -- when you unlock the penultimate tier of skills, there's one skill (to the far left) that's free, as in, costs no ability points, but you actually do have to select and "buy" it before you have access to it. Really enjoying this LP, thanks!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay

LoonShia posted:

Yeah his "BECAUSEIMGOINGTOKILLHIM" is the first and only bit of personality he's shown all game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ratbag: Such a good character, he can make even Talion emote

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FYI if Ushgol is on the no-kill list then Torz should be too :colbert: Torz is our friend, and deserves to be warchief

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

FYI if Ushgol is on the no-kill list then Torz should be too :colbert: Torz is our friend, and deserves to be warchief
I hope Torz gets stuff like Ambusher so he just makes some friendly housecalls every now and then

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

death .cab for qt posted:

Nah, Torz should absolutely be a bodyguard for another orc. He just wants a friend.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Another Person posted:

Nah, Torz should absolutely be a bodyguard for another orc. He just wants a friend.
Hopefully always for a warchief we don't like

"Hey buddy. Oh, so... we're doing this again." (looks morosely over at Warchief) "Ok then. Well, he was fun."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Torz the Friendly: always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can't believe how many epic runes you are getting in those videos. In my first playthrough I managed to get a grand total of two, even with the boosting mechanic. Also how is that sword one not broken as gently caress?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

FrickenMoron posted:

I can't believe how many epic runes you are getting in those videos. In my first playthrough I managed to get a grand total of two, even with the boosting mechanic. Also how is that sword one not broken as gently caress?

The 50% damage rune is broken as gently caress, and I'll only be using it for the next couple videos just to show it off. I'm going to endeavor to not use the runes like that that make the game things absolutely trivial but instead I'll be going for a practical set of runes that require some level of skill or thoughtful play to provide benefits. The straight on "Do Extra Damage" style runes make the game pretty boring and make some of the combat weird. Combining the extra damage rune with the extra damage once you get a combo of 15-30 rune means you can hit an orc like twice and kill him at times, and that really makes the flow of combat change.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Lazyfire posted:

The 50% damage rune is broken as gently caress, and I'll only be using it for the next couple videos just to show it off. I'm going to endeavor to not use the runes like that that make the game things absolutely trivial but instead I'll be going for a practical set of runes that require some level of skill or thoughtful play to provide benefits. The straight on "Do Extra Damage" style runes make the game pretty boring and make some of the combat weird. Combining the extra damage rune with the extra damage once you get a combo of 15-30 rune means you can hit an orc like twice and kill him at times, and that really makes the flow of combat change.

Which means you're stuck tediously chopping wood rather than flipping around and popping skulls, yeah.

I much prefer the Heal On X runes, especially if I'm dicking around in the proving grounds. It's nice to offset some of the inevitable chip damage you're going to take when facing off against 30 orcs.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Skippy Granola posted:

Which means you're stuck tediously chopping wood rather than flipping around and popping skulls, yeah.

I much prefer the Heal On X runes, especially if I'm dicking around in the proving grounds. It's nice to offset some of the inevitable chip damage you're going to take when facing off against 30 orcs.

Yeah, same here, I actually picked up a couple of those while recording today and one of them was the same rune I ran with for my entire last playthrough that has a chance of giving you a set amount of health on head explosion kills. I absolutely love that rune because flurry kills and combat drains will not only kill the enemy, but can throw some health your way so you don't have to break the fight.

Of course, those only go so far when you face a captain that take you to last stand in a single shot.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Alright, I have no clue which of the outcast missions I actually thought was hard. This one is pretty simple as long as the game doesn't like screwing you over with when it will and won't accept button input. Actually, the next video is the one where trying to do the combat drain pretty much gets me killed because the game interprets the button press as a double tap of the roll button instead of an actual combo. That's fun. Anyways, who would have thought stuff would blow up as good as it does here? I mean, I have no idea what we actually accomplished, it seems like the orcs could just have some slaves rebuild this in a couple years and no one would really notice the difference because it's not like Mordor is a really developed area as it stands, so what sort of setback did we really cause?

Actually, forget I ask, that gets answered next time. That's when veterans of the game will see how trivial the 50% extra damage rune can make things.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Uruks will not promote to War Chief unless you advance the quest past where you are now. (IIRC, you have to get to the last quest in this area, the one that takes you to the next. You don't have to do it, just get to it.) Uruks also will not advance to war chief without time passing or a challenge to a current war chief.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 19, 2015

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

It's rainin Orc!

The Pillars of the Kings are those two big statues in Fellowship that they sail past.

And this quest shows how annoying NPC helpers are most of the time.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 19, 2015

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pushkrimp looked so dismayed that his recruitment session went well.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Samovar posted:

Pushkrimp looked so dismayed that his recruitment session went well.

That probably had something to do with everything being bees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Maybe it's time to go through more story missions until we get to "own" orcs of our own? I mean, some orcs we're raising so we can fight and kill them. But some should be ours, don't you think?

Disclaimer: I do not own this game and have no idea how many missions we are away from being able to do this.

• Locked thread