Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

I've never understood why TV companies block access to non-US youtube users.

I would guess licensing or contractual issues, such as the scope of a license to use the background music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird that that People Are Talking description forgets to mention one of the main characters (Meaghan Rath.)

Turns out its because she's likely to be recast as the show she's in for Fox is her first choice.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
A Coach reboot set in Philly? I will watch every episode. On second thought, guess they will make up a fictional Ivy and set it somewhere else in PA. Still watching.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 13, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Based on just the trailers I'll give Blindspot and The Player a chance. I'm not going to judge any of the other shows just on a press release description though so I'll have to wait on them. I will watch Coach though for sure because it's Craig T. Nelson. Though without Dauber and Luther I'm not sure it'll work.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deadpool posted:

Based on just the trailers I'll give Blindspot and The Player a chance. I'm not going to judge any of the other shows just on a press release description though so I'll have to wait on them. I will watch Coach though for sure because it's Craig T. Nelson. Though without Dauber and Luther I'm not sure it'll work.

I just saw Jerry Van Dyke on The Middle, and I don't think Bill Fägerbake is doing anything aside from some more Spongebob voices, I'm sure they can show up at some point.

People Are Talking actually doesn't look terrible. I wish I could say anything about any of the other shows, but there's not a single drat trailer up, so I honestly can't tell.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DoggPickle posted:

They're bringing back Heroes with the ONE CHARACTER that broke the show? I mean, he was everyone's favorite awesome guy, but they had to keep coming up with new and dumber ways to cripple his powers (amnesia?) because time travel > all other powers ever.

He wasn't fully in control of it and his alterations to the past had consequences, so it wasn't that bad. The one who really broke the show was Claire with her magic healing blood that could bring people back to life. Like if they used it once, why not just use it all the time?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I refuse to believe Shades of Blue is a real show and not somebody playing TV pitch madlibs

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

He wasn't fully in control of it and his alterations to the past had consequences, so it wasn't that bad. The one who really broke the show was Claire with her magic healing blood that could bring people back to life. Like if they used it once, why not just use it all the time?

Guys I think there were more than a few characters who broke the show.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The writers broke it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Even more accurate.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Ray Liotta playing a corrupt cop? That's some brave casting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Didn't the original run of Heroes have to have Peter and Sylar have their climactic battle off-screen because they were both too powerful to show using their powers like that on a TV budget?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Didn't the original run of Heroes have to have Peter and Sylar have their climactic battle off-screen because they were both too powerful to show using their powers like that on a TV budget?
Yeah the first season finale had an incredibly disappointing final fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Gaz-L posted:

Yes and no.

The leadup to Heroes finale had episodes that were in the future. Where there was a Peter who had full control of his powers, vs a Sylar who had an assortment of powers as well. That off screen battle, with Mohinder's door, at the time I at least wrote off as being understandable, as "obviously" they were saving that payoff for the face off in the final fight of the season in the season finale where they would both be able to show out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLo0PAciIMc

Then that fight turned out to be a dud too, and I should have realized then that Heroes was going to do nothing but disappoint me.

But man. Company Man was sooo good, and to this day is still one of my favorite episodes of Television.

Edit: Also man, I forgot how bad the mid-00s were on Youtube. There are way too many Peter/Sylar fan music videos with terrible music.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Writing a story around what you can actually show to the viewer is such a basic production task that it was sort of shocking how badly they hosed it up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRUSbbQynOdGDHtWaJhW8k07GpVPJ60KJ

Any season now this will be the new NBC linuep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuIZCJEu9a4

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I'm pretty unhappy about About A Boy being cancelled, and against all odds I really liked One Big Happy.

Boooo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

Then that fight turned out to be a dud too, and I should have realized then that Heroes was going to do nothing but disappoint me.

Didn't Nathan die literally every season? I remember they kept bringing him back and he'd just keep dying again in some other convoluted way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My favorite goofy part of Heroes was how when the second season started they did a time skip and then over the course of the season they filled in the gaps. One of the things was Nathan started the season with this big bushy beard and eventually the show kind of forgot about it because by the time they got all the skipped over stuff sorted out he was left with about a week to grow it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite goofy part of Heroes was how when the second season started they did a time skip and then over the course of the season they filled in the gaps. One of the things was Nathan started the season with this big bushy beard and eventually the show kind of forgot about it because by the time they got all the skipped over stuff sorted out he was left with about a week to grow it.

I remember that the best thing about it were all the "we have to go back!" Lost jokes it inspired. It's a shame the show forgot about it, like that girl Peter left in the future he erased.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a shame the show forgot about it, like that girl Peter left in the future he erased.

That was awful. I kept hoping that Peter would try to get her back or talk about trying to save her or something but whelp...

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

DoggPickle posted:

That was like some kind of bizarre list of everything I have no interest in watching at all. "Chicago Barista" made me laugh!!

I also liked the Backwards Prison Break Tattoo comments, because that was the first thing I thought too, except they're doing it Blacklist style, so they can make up infinite stories, and I have NO faith in almost all writers to have an actual PLAN at this point, so screw that.

They're bringing back Heroes with the ONE CHARACTER that broke the show? I mean, he was everyone's favorite awesome guy, but they had to keep coming up with new and dumber ways to cripple his powers (amnesia?) because time travel > all other powers ever.

RIP Constantine. You should have been on Sci-Fi.

Actually, Hiro has a recurring role, it seems, but the main character they're bringing back is actually the only one they should be bringing back, Noah Bennett. I feel like he was actually everyone's favorite awesome guy. :colbert:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Noah Bennett was like a character from a different, better show decided to drop in on Heroes because he's cool and sneaky and can do what he wants.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

sticklefifer posted:

Noah Bennett was like a character from a different, better show decided to drop in on Heroes because he's cool and sneaky and can do what he wants.

Best episode of Heroes was Noah/Sylar buddy cop episode. I would have watched the poo poo out of a show like that, too bad the writers felt the show was getting too good and ended that story line fast.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The best thing about heroes was the entire first season of the guy running for Congress, and in the first episode of season two he was a senator.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

The best thing about heroes was the entire first season of the guy running for Congress, and in the first episode of season two he was a senator.

I don't remember the show at all except for the crazily bad first season finale. Why was this the best thing?

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Because Senators aren't Congressmen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Victorkm posted:

Because Senators aren't Congressmen.

However the Senate is part of Congress, which is what Golden Bee actually referred to. I take it from your answer, however, that the show specified he was originally running for the House.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It was 5 years later. He spent two years in the house and then ran and won the senate seat.

I mean it probably wasn't mentioned in the show, and was more than likely a mistake, but it is possible.

Also Senator's are congressman. As are Representatives. Both the House and Senate are a part of "Congress"

Dexo fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 15, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

Also Senator's are congressman.

Weirdly, this is not the common usage in America.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

Really? I live in the Midwesst and I've only heard Senator's and representatives used. That's weird.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Astroman posted:

They're bringing back Coach?

No Dobber no deal. :colbert:

If they don't faithfully cover the Luther Van Dam child molestation scandal I'm out.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah it is.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Nah, you won't typically find the media referring to a Senator as a Congressman/Congresswoman, but you will frequently see them refer to a Representative that way.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hear it all the time. Literally everyday, if not two or three times a day.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In what context, out of curiosity?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Just chatting with people.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The people you know talk weird, both in subject matter and phrasing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

The people you know talk weird, both in subject matter and phrasing.
Yeah, "Congressman" specifically refers to Representative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nah, you won't typically find the media referring to a Senator as a Congressman/Congresswoman, but you will frequently see them refer to a Representative that way.

Yeah Representative is the title but the direct address fir is Congress(wo)man. It gets confusing to some since Senator serves as both for Senators.

• Locked thread