Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

hito posted:

Well I'll repost it if a formal thread gets made, but here's the first video of my Invisible Inc. LP.

Speaking of which, the thread is live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Stelas posted:

This completely fucks the gold curve, though, unless they've changed it since.

That said Elona+ is much nicer to the player either way - it dramatically cut training times and added extra ways to get back your training potential.

It's not like 3/4 of the Elona thread doesn't just look for abusable moongates for gold. There isn't really much of a curve once you make your first 100k or so anyway.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Decided to stick around that altar for another few days to post-crown and picked up

Now to go die in the first real dungeon I go to.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Speaking of ADOM and paralysis, I found this from years ago

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

dis astranagant posted:

It's not like 3/4 of the Elona thread doesn't just look for abusable moongates for gold. There isn't really much of a curve once you make your first 100k or so anyway.
Not sure what it is that changes the weight of objects and if it will work on kitty banks, but you can find 500M banks in Noyel and the Thieve's Guild. If you didn't go months without paying the bills, you teleport the guard, Incognito through the guild and teleport Sin if he comes at you. The weight of the banks determine how much money is in it, so no need to put in money.

If that wasn't fast enough, you spend a minute using elosnack to solve all your gold and training problems. It being a sandbox RL is why there is so much repetition, but lots of stuff are available to do from the start without spending dozens of hours.

I think they made quests even more rewarding than it was last year or two, since I almost never got 3 plat for SQ until Harvesting needed like 80s to complete. It is still not at the 30s level and I can deliver my rods to strangers for 3 plat half the time.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 17, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They probably patched it by now but you used to be able to just break kitty banks in moongates and get money from them. And there were a few with billions in them.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

So, I decided to start playing ADOM and read through one of the let's plays here from 2011. I head into the first dungeon and find... an altar! It's now day 5, I'm level 6, and I have... this

This is good, right :eng101:

that helm can carry you through early game most likely. you can make it to dwarftown guaranteed at least. just be careful and don't get overconfident. or else you'll bump into a brown worm on your way to remove dooming from eating the oracle and die, paralyzed, two steps away from the altar. with a ring of djinni summoning in your inventory and khelly still alive.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GreyPowerVan posted:

This is good, right :eng101:

All I can think of is, this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

that helm can carry you through early game most likely. you can make it to dwarftown guaranteed at least. just be careful and don't get overconfident. or else you'll bump into a brown worm on your way to remove dooming from eating the oracle and die, paralyzed, two steps away from the altar. with a ring of djinni summoning in your inventory and khelly still alive.

Oh I've been very careful about paralyzing things.

That's why I was glad when I picked up my boots of the divine messenger with a snazzy +5 dex and resistances to paralyze and death ray.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Do you guys think screenshots this size would be too big to leave un[timg]ed for the RL LP thread?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I think it's fine.

Is there a one click way to make all timgs on a page to appear as full imgs and back again to timgs?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Looks fine to me as well, go for it!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Lilli posted:

How do you even play DoomRL without sound? That poo poo is so helpful.

And more importantly, that poo poo is Doom.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Really enjoying One Way Heroics Plus. It fixes a lot of problems with the base game, expands it greatly, and establishes a much better difficulty curve. On one hand they implemented the Tourist, which as always is the challenge class, and it makes the game very hard. On the other hand they tightened up a few of the mechanics that allowed you to unintentionally make the game way easy, although the opportunity is still there if you want to break it. Plus a lot of quality-of-life features (you automatically turn in the direction of an adjacent enemy, you're alerted when nearby enemies notice you, and so on) have been added. Judging by the statistics on the daily challenges I think I'm one of like 10 people that play it, but it is worth playing. Also, if you played the original, it does have an "import save" option!

http://playism-games.com/game/213/one-way-heroics-plus It's seven bucks on Playism if anyone wants it, and they're aiming for a steam release soon (and anyone owning the Playism version will get a steam key automatically).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Low player count is probably just because next to no one uses Playism. I know I bought La Mulana (and OWH?) and forgot about the place.

It should get a bump when it has its Steam release. I should probably pick it up anyway, what with the free steam key and the fact that I really enjoyed base OWH.

It doesn't really do anything to the basic structure of the game though does it? I had kind of played it out, beaten a bunch of characters, different difficulties/challenges etc. Great game, but unless there's a bunch of different stuff to play with, eh. New music or art, new areas, new encounters?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
I haven't gotten too far in it, because I've got other games I want to play and kind of want to save delving hard in it for the steam release, but there's definitely new areas (a beach-ish zone filled with water as an obstacle, a cave section, border walls with guards), new encounters, some of which were absolute murder - beware of barbarians with rocks, new music (and a perk to swap some of this music on whenever you want), new allies. I would definitely call it a big bump in content.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One of you guys good at the game should do Caves of Qud for the Roguelike LP megathread, tia.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of you guys good at the game should do Caves of Qud for the Roguelike LP megathread, tia.

If the big update that they keep threatening happens I just might.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think it's fine.

Is there a one click way to make all timgs on a page to appear as full imgs and back again to timgs?

It's doable with a bookmarklet.

Toggle all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note').click()
Expand all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note:not(.expanded)').click()
Collapse all timgs: $('.timg_container>.note.expanded').click()

Use a bookmarklet generator like http://ted.mielczarek.org/code/mozilla/bookmarklet.html to make one you can drag into your bookmarks bar.

Phssthpok fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 19, 2015

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just tried Armored Commander. Spent a lot of time maneuvering and didn't manage to kill a single thing before my commander died (the sole casualty) when my tank got knocked out in the last battle encounter of the second combat day. I don't think I really get this game. Also is it even possible to reach the second exit before the end of the day without beelining the whole way without ever checking enemy resistance or using artillery?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I lost that powerful elementalist by accidentally attacking the priest in dwarftown.

Now I'm having a ton of trouble getting my weaponsmith character off the ground. Like... a ton of trouble. I've been heading into the small cave to start with but having no healing kind of sucks and I don't really would prefer to have both healing and herbalism. Not sure what class I want to play I guess.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Cogmind is taking the big Alpha plunge at last with a slick new trailer, and a spiffed up website that may or may not be buckling under the load of curious folks.

http://www.gridsagegames.com/cogmind/

It is going the premium paid Alpha route as a few other games have elected to dabble in, $30 and then various Better Deal packs that are aimed at folks looking to get multiple copies and such.

I hope for an excellent future for this project, and doubly so that all the engine improvements he's made for this will filter back in due time for X@COM RL and greatly expedite the road to crazy town for that project and the various mega mods and total conversions he's already got folks tinkering at Chaosforge-style.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

My practice DoomRL run before I LP it for the thread just ended on Deimos with me at low health, no protective boots drop, and a river of acid between me and the stairs. :saddowns:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Dross posted:

My practice DoomRL run before I LP it for the thread just ended on Deimos with me at low health, no protective boots drop, and a river of acid between me and the stairs. :saddowns:

Things to try:
- all rivers are guaranteed to have a bridge somewhere. If the bridge is inaccessible due to walls, try rocketing holes in them or pushing barrels into position to use for demolitions.
- if you have no barrels or rockets, running reduces damage from acid; you might be able to survive dashing across the narrowest part of the river.
- if you have very few rockets and no barrels, but can survive ~3d6 fire damage, you can rocket jump across (but running will probably result in less damage overall)

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Cogmind is taking the big Alpha plunge at last with a slick new trailer, and a spiffed up website that may or may not be buckling under the load of curious folks.

It is going the premium paid Alpha route as a few other games have elected to dabble in, $30 and then various Better Deal packs that are aimed at folks looking to get multiple copies and such.

I hope for an excellent future for this project, and doubly so that all the engine improvements he's made for this will filter back in due time for X@COM RL and greatly expedite the road to crazy town for that project and the various mega mods and total conversions he's already got folks tinkering at Chaosforge-style.

Has anyone tried this game yet?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Turtlicious posted:

Has anyone tried this game yet?

It's being streamed right now (10am pacific, 19 May) if you want to watch http://www.twitch.tv/kawaiidragoness

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welp I'm sold, I bought in and now have 2 keys to give out to goons.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ExiledTinkerer posted:

holy poo poo im buying this

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Let us know how it is then, I saw it but never really clicked on it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Interesting premise. I, too, await a trip report.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Holy gently caress, Cogmind finally has a playable release? I've been watching that game since the 7drl version came out hoping it would be finished someday.

Looks like the development roadmap hasn't been updated in a while, it still claims to be several features away from alpha-readiness.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That game looks amazing, but this pay more for early access is the worst thing ever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm content to sit, watch, and drool as appropriate for Cogmind.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Dropped the money on Cogmind since I"ve heard tons of praise for a long time. Really not sure how I feel about it yet, in large part because there are too many stats that I don't feel like reading about right now. Really just too much reading in general after how big of a brain drain work was today. I'll give it more of a shot tomorrow and report back.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ArmCom has progressed to Alpha 7. :toot:

Rev_Sudasana posted:

Whew - uploaded Alpha 7 release candidate 1: http://www.armouredcommander.com/downloads.html

I'm hoping that after some testing and some bugfixing, I can leave Alpha 7 up to be the stable version of ArmCom for a little while. In the meantime I'll work on polishing things behind the scenes, looking forward toward a beta version where all the major components of the game are present and working reasonably well!

As with the last update, if you load a game that was saved in the Campaign Calendar or Campaign Map in a previous version, it should work. Most of the variable changes have been within enemy units, which are spawned anew during each battle encounter.

In this version, I've added a few important things and fixed some bugs I discovered:

- Fixed a bug where stunned enemy vehicles would still act as normal
- Fixed a bug where every day would start cloudy
- Fixed a bug where immobile enemy units at medium or long range in fog or falling snow could move closer to the player
- Orders now reset each turn only for Driver and Loader, other crewmen will keep their order until the end of the encounter or circumstances make their order impossible

- Changed the odds of enemy morale values slightly
- Made spotting and identifying enemy units slightly more difficult

- All enemy AT Guns are assumed to be emplaced; this means they always get a +2 terrain DRM to hit, or to kill with an area fire hit. If they are in a fortification, they get the +3 DRM instead.
- AT Guns are never set up moving, and will not move during a battle encounter
- Their only actions are: Do nothing; fire at friendly tank (player if fired upon in previous turn); fire at player tank; fire at lead tank
- AT Guns have a facing set at spawn, and which can be changed if player tank moves
- If an AT Gun rolls an attack action and is not facing the player, it rotates to face the player
- Any critical hit on an AT Gun, whether direct or area fire, will automatically destroy it

- Enemy infantry units (LW, MW, AT GUN) can now be Pinned:
- if an infantry unit is hit by HE but not destroyed, they must take a morale test; if they fail, they are pinned
- if a TK roll on an infantry unit is exactly equal to the number required, the target is automatically pinned
- pinned units can only do nothing or move away as their action
- pinned units can test to unpin at the end of the encounter turn by rolling against their morale level

In case you haven't been watching the RL LP Megathread (you should!) and didn't see me mention, he also added Panzerfaust attacks in the last Alpha 6 version! :ohdear:

I really like the change to the AT guns, it seemed rather weird that they were able to move around so freely when most of them required vehicular assistance to be moved any appreciable distance.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
An encounter with a bear faction caravan.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

hand of luke posted:

An encounter with a bear faction caravan.

I saw that line of claw, claw, claw and my only question now is

did you just recreate Trigers from Dungeonmans?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GreyPowerVan posted:

I've been heading into the small cave to start with but having no healing kind of sucks

You can always enter the small cave first to spawn the initial mobs at low level, but leave before exploring, go do the quest for healing, then come back. Just try to kill as little as possible so you don't get lots of high level spawns. If you can find them, a scroll of magic mapping and a wand of digging are both useful for helping find/get to the stairs with a minimum of killing. You could even leave it til way later and come back once you have magic mapping and a means of controlled teleportation. Of course you don't have to go at all unless you're going for an ultra-ending or really really need that guaranteed scroll of chaos resistance.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

palecur posted:

I saw that line of claw, claw, claw and my only question now is

did you just recreate Trigers from Dungeonmans?

I think both derive from "claw/claw/bite" from Dungeons and Dragons. Qud's roots are in Gamma World (~1980?) which was based on the AD&D system and published by TSR.

Slumberlings are not to be trifled with in general. That looks like a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

You can always enter the small cave first to spawn the initial mobs at low level, but leave before exploring, go do the quest for healing, then come back. Just try to kill as little as possible so you don't get lots of high level spawns. If you can find them, a scroll of magic mapping and a wand of digging are both useful for helping find/get to the stairs with a minimum of killing. You could even leave it til way later and come back once you have magic mapping and a means of controlled teleportation. Of course you don't have to go at all unless you're going for an ultra-ending or really really need that guaranteed scroll of chaos resistance.

I'm mostly going in to try to hit level 6 or so really quickly so I can go save the cute dog. I have a feeling that I should leave at level 5 though, cause I always end up ganked by a high level named NPC.