Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Discussion Q: Is it actually difficult to start making Indian food? I loving love vindaloo of the lamb variety and the recipes for Vindaloo seem fairly simple to assemble...

Am I dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

The most difficult part is assembling the ingredients. The actual prep and cooking are piss easy.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Very easy. I love making Indian food.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Croatoan posted:

So I heard today that some people really actually don't like bitter foods? For real? What's wrong with y'all?

Bitter foods own. Bitter greens, bitter pickles, bitter bitters, unf

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Campari is loving awful however.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Squashy Nipples posted:

I don't mind fancy-shaped plates, as long as they are plates. Even mid-tier restaurants have funky shaped plates now.

Speaking of mid-tier restaurants, is there some kind of weird trend with not giving people water by default anymore? Its driving me crazy the amount of places I'm going where apparently that's just not a thing they do.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Are they at least asking if you want anything to drink as you are being seated?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paper With Lines posted:

Discussion Q: Is it actually difficult to start making Indian food? I loving love vindaloo of the lamb variety and the recipes for Vindaloo seem fairly simple to assemble...

Am I dumb?

It's very easy, at least curries and vindaloo are. After having Indian food for the first time at this really good little Indian restaurant I looked up some recipes and ingredients and I had curry 90% as good as the restaurant stuff on my second try.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Speaking of mid-tier restaurants, is there some kind of weird trend with not giving people water by default anymore? Its driving me crazy the amount of places I'm going where apparently that's just not a thing they do.

Water conservation, yo. Also they don't waste a glass on you if you don't ask for the water.

Drink and Fight posted:

Campari is loving awful however.

This is wrong. Campari is good in wonderful drinks like a boulevardier or negroni!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Republicans posted:

Are they at least asking if you want anything to drink as you are being seated?

Yeah, but if I get something like a cocktail, I kind of expect a glass of water. "No thank you, I'm just going to stick to margaritas. Water's just a mixer."

Also campari is delicious as hell.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

If you're in California it's literally against the law to do default water service, you have to ask. Not very strictly enforced, but it is a law.

Also campari tastes exactly like bile so anything with campari just reminds me of having kidney stones and vomiting until I have no fluids left.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

No I'm in a state with plenty of water. I just remember a few years ago it was such a standard thing anywhere you went.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I like bitter but main wife (who loves food and cooks well) does not. Grapefruit, radicchio etc are no good for her.

Campari orange is great. When my flat mate had an ice cream machine I'd make Campari orange sorbet. Delicious. Tastes a bit like grapefruit.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Campari is vile and awful and literally the worst thing I've ever drunk. You Campari-likers are insane.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Look, its not that we're saying that chocolate martinis or whatever it is you drink are bad

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Drink and Fight posted:

Campari is vile and awful and literally the worst thing I've ever drunk. You Campari-likers are insane.

I mean I'm not down to just chug it straight but it's an excellent flavoring agent for cocktails. (Fernet Branca is my amaro of choice for chugging)

Or just shove it into a mix of fresh squeezed OJ and some soda water.

loving brilliant!

I mean I understand that some people won't ever like it. It's bitter as gently caress and too much of it can be overpowering if you don't like it. I actually like it though so I'm good to go.

I have other things to be ashamed of not liking. Like squash. I hate loving squash. It has to be prepared by myself to my exact texture specifications for me to enoy it.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Nah I've had negronis and I've had it just in oj but that awful bitter aftertaste is detectable no matter what you try to cover it with. A negroni with aperol is delicious though.

And for the record I mostly drink bourbon. And I love broccoli and sprouts and other "bitter" veggies.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Campari/Soda is the most perfect apertif, and will settle any stomach upset by the insane driving you had to do to make your reservation time in Chicago traffic.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Drink and Fight posted:

Nah I've had negronis and I've had it just in oj but that awful bitter aftertaste is detectable no matter what you try to cover it with. A negroni with aperol is delicious though.

And for the record I mostly drink bourbon. And I love broccoli and sprouts and other "bitter" veggies.

Bourbon is my joint. I'm a Bulleit rye and Eagle Rare fan. But I also stock Basil Hayden's, Blantons and my go to mixer The Old Overholt (which is the loving tits) at my house.

Have you ventured into barrel aged rums? There are some fantastic 16+ year rums out there for dirt cheap.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Paper With Lines posted:

Am I dumb?

No. But you will need to find a shop that carries the spices and other stuff you need.

Possibly, one should never rule out the option that one could indeed be mentally deficient.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

You don't drink it straight, you mix it with prosecco or even lemon-lime soda plus some fruit slices and poo poo and ice cubes to make an apéritif that you nip at before supper or while you cook to give you an appetite in the distinctly de-appetizing heat of the Italian summer.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

See also: chinotto, which is loving delicious.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

See also: chinotto, which is loving delicious.

I quite like it but it is slightly cough-mediciney.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Bourbon is my joint. I'm a Bulleit rye and Eagle Rare fan. But I also stock Basil Hayden's, Blantons and my go to mixer The Old Overholt (which is the loving tits) at my house.

Have you ventured into barrel aged rums? There are some fantastic 16+ year rums out there for dirt cheap.

I mostly drink bulleit cause it's cheap. Have you had Colorado Gold? Stuff is awesome. Not really into rum unless tikis are involved, but the older ones are pretty great.

And I never said I drink Campari straight, yuck.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
I made it to Copenhagen and am staying in Nørrebro. So far I am loving it, but I still have a lot more to see. One thing I noticed is kebab shops as far as the eye can see.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Drink and Fight posted:

I mostly drink bulleit cause it's cheap. Have you had Colorado Gold? Stuff is awesome. Not really into rum unless tikis are involved, but the older ones are pretty great.

And I never said I drink Campari straight, yuck.

Ever had anything from Wigle distillery? They are a small place in Pittsburgh that make some really nice whiskey. They make a wheat, a rye, and a white one. They also do a rum that's not a rum. Since it's made from honey it can't be called rum. They make a genever as well.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

antisodachrist posted:

I made it to Copenhagen and am staying in Nørrebro. So far I am loving it, but I still have a lot more to see. One thing I noticed is kebab shops as far as the eye can see.

Shawarma Grill House No.1 on Strøget - now in its 35th year - is the place to go. I always try to have a visit if I'm in Copenhagen.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have other things to be ashamed of not liking. Like squash. I hate loving squash. It has to be prepared by myself to my exact texture specifications for me to enoy it.

How DARE you disparage my namesake fruit! :colbert:

Squash is best food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I can do bitter, because I love fenugreek seeds in all sorts of things, but other bitter stuff I violently hate. Bell peppers are one of them (although the red and orange ones that Puppy's great aunt grows in her garden are a different story; they're kind of sweet almost), bitter melon, radicchio, those over hoppy "craft beers" people carry on about, and campari. Dear god that was a disappointment. On my first trip to Ecuador, we stayed at a hostel with a bar attached. My friend and I went to have a drink to celebrate landing in one piece. The barkeep suggested a campari as a very popular thing to have. It was bright red, so I was like "OK, that sounds cool."

Holy crap that was horrible.

That said, if it's a part of an overall thing, it's cool. Like, a gin and tonic with a few drops of angostura bitters or something. Trinidadian friend introduced me to that, and it was lovely. All kind of spicy flavours came up. Or, every time I make daal, I toss in a few fenugreek seeds, because they smell so good omg.

Also, squash is delicious, for the record. Other people ruining it doesn't make the vegetable bad, it makes the people bad.

In other news, I was about to delete my facebook, because it was filled with unfunny, uninteresting crap. I was asking Puppy to show me how to do that. So he said, "You can just hide that." :stwoon: So then he showed me how to hide that Buzz Feed thing, and the other stuff that keeps showing up over and over again. Now I have a bunch of posts of people's cats, their food, their kids, and a bunch of stuff about what's going on in their lives. It's so nice!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

When you bake a loaf of sourdough, you kill all the useful bacteria/molds, right?

The woman made a sourdough starter a few months back with just some rye flour, water and patience. Since then, she has been baking a loaf a week, and it just keeps getting yummier and more sour with each one. She has this new theory that I've been farting a lot less lately because I've been eating a slice or more of her bread every day (I love it toasted for breakfast). This is crazy, right?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah, the cultures die when you cook them. Just like yogurt or miso or any other thing.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
When you bake any bread, you kill of the yeast.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're farting less you should stop eating that bread though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Squashy Nipples posted:

When you bake a loaf of sourdough, you kill all the useful bacteria/molds, right?

The woman made a sourdough starter a few months back with just some rye flour, water and patience. Since then, she has been baking a loaf a week, and it just keeps getting yummier and more sour with each one. She has this new theory that I've been farting a lot less lately because I've been eating a slice or more of her bread every day (I love it toasted for breakfast). This is crazy, right?

The more active mature starter might be having a greater effect on the dough while it is fermenting and proofing, though.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Are we counting bell peppers, broc and brussels sprouts as bitter? I'm not a big fan of herbal bitters, cocktails or not. "Bitter" veg I will eat endlessly.

I'm heading to Amsterdam and Zurich this summer, and I need good places to eat. Preferably not very expensive, because this trip is turning out pricey as hell. We're staying right downtown in Amsterdam, and in Zurich we're lakeside, on the east edge.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Paper With Lines posted:

Am I dumb?

indian food was what got me cooking to begin with. vindaloo is the first recipe I ever tried to make, 17 years ago.

I can finally make a decent one, but recipes are going to be your downfall. there are so many lovely recipes out there for indian.

a. don't trust and recipe that doesn't use a ton of oil
b. don't trust any recipe that doesn't have you using mustard oil
c. don't trust any recipe that doesn't call for vinegar or wine.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

The more active mature starter might be having a greater effect on the dough while it is fermenting and proofing, though.

Yeah, that was my thought as well... I just don't think that regular-yeasted bread was causing any problems. :shrug:

The girlfriend just likes to assign good things to "beneficial microorganisms". It's sort of like the opposite of "toxin" paranoia.

mindphlux posted:

vindaloo is the first recipe I ever tried to make, 17 years ago.

The first indian dish I cooked for myself was chana masala, that's another good place to start.

mindphlux posted:

there are so many lovely recipes out there for indian.

Totally agreed. Outside of Manjula's kitchen, pretty much anything you find on the internet is a gamble.

mindphlux posted:

I don't entirely agree with this one. Dino might have to correct me, but I'm pretty sure that using mustard oil is a regional thing in India.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Manjula is a straight badass.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

mindphlux posted:

indian food was what got me cooking to begin with. vindaloo is the first recipe I ever tried to make, 17 years ago.

I can finally make a decent one, but recipes are going to be your downfall. there are so many lovely recipes out there for indian.

a. don't trust and recipe that doesn't use a ton of oil
c. don't trust any recipe that doesn't call for vinegar or wine.

D. Don't trust any recipe where the author spells it "Chana maRsala"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.