Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Met a dude with a gorgeous '14 Club Sport today. He badgered me to get my poo poo together and sort out my top and pitted bumper so I guess I need to get some poo poo done pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Why? The 3 point fits on my lap properly and i want to be able to reach the radio, or roll up the passenger side window if it gets too warm.

Because it will hold you more securely, so you can focus on keeping both hands on the wheel. Or you could get one of those things that holds the lap belt tight, I forget what they're called.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leica posted:

Because it will hold you more securely, so you can focus on keeping both hands on the wheel. Or you could get one of those things that holds the lap belt tight, I forget what they're called.

CGLock and they are awesome for AutoX.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

My PCV and oil cap are both misting out oil. I'm going to change the PCV and make sure the hose isnt clogged, and people are telling me this might fix the oil cap leaking by releving pressure, if that doesnt do it will changing the cap, or is there a seal on the inside of the valve cover as well?

Huh, this might be one reason why I get a bit of smoke from under the hood on the right side after hard driving. Gonna have to check on that. I also need to do the valve cover gasket.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 10, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

CGLock and they are awesome for AutoX.

Yeah, that's it. I've read people claiming it took up to a second off their times, it's worth a shot trying out one of those before going to a harness.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
The oil cap has a replaceable rubber gasket. Rosenthal carries it for a couple bucks.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Well, even though the motor that came in my 2001 Miata is total crap (134whp on a Megasquirt, should be ~145whp with what I have on the car) I pulled apart the 55k mile 2005 Motor I had in my garage and it looks perfect inside. I had some problems with the car that had a slight chance of being detonation related. Now to figure out how much money I want to drop into this motor. Debating making it able to spin to 8k and dropping an intake cam in it.

Crosshatching is still visible, no marks on the bores, no signs of detonation on the pistons.

Head looks just as nice. Again no signs of detonation, valves look great. 1 and 3 are a little wet, possibly valve stem seals since it is oil.

No surprises here, I've had the valve cover off on this motor before. It's just so drat clean under there.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Maruha VVT cams please

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well, I have attempted the clutch change and I have been defeated. I managed to get the transmission up to the engine, far enough in to actually put a couple of bolts through but I can't get it any further in.

What do I do thread? I've managed to get stuff back in Just enough that I could at least have it towed to a garage if it comes to that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It's a total cocksucker. Keep playing with the angle of the transmission/motor mating until it slips in. Make sure the trans is in neutral. The last time I pulled only the motor it took almost an hour to get the loving input shaft in.

Go back in time and pull the trans with the motor

destructo posted:

Maruha VVT cams please

I'd likely do the Tomei cam since they have US distribution and actual specs published. I don't really want to deal with someone who doesn't know English while I try and figure out how much cold lash the cams need. Lift/duration is the same, no idea about the ramp.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 11, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Took my miata to our first trackday on a small kart track, it did well :3:

However, at least three other cars (I think all NAs) had their PS fluid blow out - is this a thing? Anything I can do to make sure this doesn't happen?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Replace the fluid or remove the PS pump.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

RillAkBea posted:

Well, I have attempted the clutch change and I have been defeated. I managed to get the transmission up to the engine, far enough in to actually put a couple of bolts through but I can't get it any further in.

What do I do thread? I've managed to get stuff back in Just enough that I could at least have it towed to a garage if it comes to that.

Have somebody push the motor from the engine bay while you wiggle it in. Putting the end of the driveshaft in and turning it (which will turn the input shaft if in gear) sometimes helps line up the input shaft splines, or just turn the crank slowly. Don't force it together with the bell housing bolts, it will slide right in when it's right. Use a jack on the trans when you inevitably get tired oh bench pressing that bastard.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mattdizzle: don't quote Anal O'Geezer.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finally god damned did it! I got the transmission back in. Had to take the transmission back down realign the clutch and hoist that stupid thing back up again but I finally god drat did. :getin:

Now I've just got to straighten out the broken stud on the cat and get a nut back on it to stop the gnarly exhaust leak as much as I enjoy the race car noises it makes. Also managed to lose the plastic bushing from the very bottom of the shifter and god drat does it feel awful to drive without it. So :flaccid:.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

FatCow posted:

It's a total cocksucker. Keep playing with the angle of the transmission/motor mating until it slips in. Make sure the trans is in neutral. The last time I pulled only the motor it took almost an hour to get the loving input shaft in.

Tips:
1. A little grease on the input splines and inside the pilot bearing goes a long, long way here. Not too much or it will get into the clutch, but just enough so that everything slides on easily.
2. Tilt the engine as far back as you can. With the trans out, the engine naturally rocks forward on the mounts, which makes getting the trans lined up virtually impossible. A 2x4 under the steering rack against the oil pan usually does the trick for me.
3. Understand what's going on inside there. The first thing that slides on is the clutch disc. Once that's on, it slides on a bit more, and the input shaft slides into the pilot bearing. You have a bit of slop room with the clutch splines, but the trans needs to be lined up perfectly square to get the pilot bearing to slip onto the input shaft. The secret here is to get the trans onto the clutch disc, get it squared up as best you can, and slowly push and rock until you feel the input shaft mate up with the pilot bearing. Once that's done, it should slide into place immediately.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Savington posted:

Get it squared up as best you can, and slowly push and rock until you feel the input shaft mate up with the pilot bearing. Once that's done, it should slide into place immediately.

In my bunk will I be.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

So I'm looking into getting a miata. I've been looking at craigslist for a few days and this popped up.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5027279669.html

Thoughts? I have no idea what a good price on a miata is. The car will be my new daily driver.

Also, do all NB's have LSD?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 17, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Also found this: http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/635411384/overview/?aff=oodle

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

No.

I believe all NB2 LSs and SEs do though. That car should have a LSD as well as sport brakes. It is also listed for more than double what it's worth.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

So I'm looking into getting a miata. I've been looking at craigslist for a few days and this popped up.

Thoughts? I have no idea what a good price on a miata is. The car will be my new daily driver.

It looks great, and is ridiculously low mileage, but as fatcow said he's asking more than double, almost triple what it's worth.

The other one also looks pretty clean for its age and is also suspiciously low-mileage, but it's much older and more spartan. As with the first car, this one is listed for 2-3 times the actual value. The hardtop is a nice addition, but then again, is it on there and there are no photos of the soft top because the soft top is in poor condition? The hardtop might be worth $1k but the softtop will cost you at least a few hundred to replace, and that's if you did it yourself (not recommended.)

In other words, pass on both cars unless you have fantastic negotiating skills.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Partial Octopus posted:

From Leica's advise I found a NC in Florida with under 60K and after taxes and delivery it was under $10K. Sooooooo shop in Florida.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 18, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

Holy poo poo, it appears the Miata market is loving inflated as hell in Pittsburgh.

Do not buy either one of those cars unless you like wasting lots of money.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'd almost be interested in doing a gig transporting cars (Miatas) for other goons. Take a few days off work (PTO), fly to the car, drive it to the destination, fly home, get paid. Especially if that would get goons into non-ridiculously-overpriced Miatas. Hell, I'd enjoy doing that more than what I'm doing now.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Partial Octopus posted:

The base model 5 speed had a open differential, a 4.3 Torsen was optional for the 5 speed.

Every car with a six speed has a 3.9 clutch pack differential, like an old FC.

edit: DRAMATIC POST-POST DISCOVERY!

Some 6 speeds after 2004 had a 4.1 torsen, including all mazdaspeed miatas. Sorry i was misinformed.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 18, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Atomizer posted:

In other words, pass on both cars unless you have fantastic negotiating skills.

I would also be wary when looking at these old low mileage cars. If you've got a 20 year old car with 20k miles and the owner put in 1k miles a year, then alright. But if he left it to rot in a garage for a while then you'll be looking at more work than you anticipated, especially after paying out the rear end to get that low mileage.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah low mileage can be overrated for sure. Nothing wrong with a Miata that has some miles on it.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I bought a car with 40,000 miles that has never seen snow, and just put florida highway miles on it for years and years with probibly too-frequent oil changes Complete waste of potential, but i love it.

Put 100,000 on it in 3 years. Likely all the value is gone now.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 18, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks for the advice. After reading the first reply I offered the guy with the 20k miata 8 grand and he said that he already rejected an offer of 10k. I guess I can check Philly and Ohio. I have little experience shopping for used cars so all of this is pretty intimidating at first.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Partial Octopus posted:

Thanks for the advice. After reading the first reply I offered the guy with the 20k miata 8 grand and he said that he already rejected an offer of 10k. I guess I can check Philly and Ohio. I have little experience shopping for used cars so all of this is pretty intimidating at first.

They've always rejected an offer higher than you.

Check Florida.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

They've always rejected an offer higher than you.

Check Florida.

Yeah that figures. Is it really worth looking somewhere so far away? How would I even manage to check the car out without flying down there?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you have little experience with used cars I wouldn't recommend looking far out of state. Just be patient and one will come along in your area, just come here and post them and we can tell you yay or nay.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I think there is enough people in this thread to have almost complete coverage of the southeast.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks again for the advice. Also would you guys recommend staying away from non-private sellers like carmax?

edit: I think I just answered my own question. Their prices are absurd. 15k for a 100k mile 2007 seems pretty outrageous.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 18, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

FatCow posted:

I think there is enough people in this thread to have almost complete coverage of the southeast.

Yeah but he just started looking, I'd have a little more patience locally before looking for cars in Florida right off the bat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Yeah but he just started looking, I'd have a little more patience locally before looking for cars in Florida right off the bat.

That isn't what you told me!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Atomizer posted:

I'd almost be interested in doing a gig transporting cars (Miatas) for other goons. Take a few days off work (PTO), fly to the car, drive it to the destination, fly home, get paid. Especially if that would get goons into non-ridiculously-overpriced Miatas. Hell, I'd enjoy doing that more than what I'm doing now.

I knew a guy who put himself through a year of university bringing up S2000s from the US when the dollar was at par but the prices were $25k more here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That isn't what you told me!

But you had already been looking for awhile and couldn't find anything, and the NC's here were cheap.

Also you have an idea of what you're doing, you've bought and sold cars before so it isn't much of a stretch for you.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
There seems to be a lot more earlier NC starting to show up on miata.net classifieds.
People are probably getting ready for switching over to ND and letting them go.
It looks to me like NC never got cheap enough to be abused like NA or NB, so they are generally in better shape second hand.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I've been mostly trying to avoid the NCs. I'm really not into the styling at all. And is 10k for a 20k mile NB really that overpriced? It doesn't seem much above KBB value. Should I even be considering KBB value or is that just for suckers?

Also where do you guys recommend looking besides craigslist?

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
KBB is bad for Miatas because the value swings kinda wildly depending on area/location, time of season, and what some idiot over payed for an M Edition recently

Have a little patience is the best advice, I looked at S2000's for two months before I got mine and I flew to go get it