Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Do this FOV fix. Default one is way too cramped, the 93 degrees suggested here is much more comfortable and reasonable, especially if you want to use stealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Will do, thanks guys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Beans posted:

Picked up Alpha Protocol on steam for $3, always heard it's an interesting game.

All I remember people suggesting is that you spec pistols/stealth because it lets you breeze through the lovely combat. Anything else? Mods to download?

Your order of hubs should be Russia, Taiwan, and then Rome, but feel free to mix it up as you please (the game will even take note of this and adjust events accordingly). One of your first stops if you're playing stealth, however, should be the Safehouse mission in Rome. It has the Level 3 Silencer in one of the storage rooms.

Chain Shot is hilariously broken, and with a decent handgun you can clear an entire room just by popping everyone in the head (or repeatedly shooting a boss in the head) before they can do a thing to you.

Also you should pick Newbie as your background for your first playthrough.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also you should pick Newbie as your background for your first playthrough.

I'm just booting up the game for the first time and I'm wondering why you would do this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm just booting up the game for the first time and I'm wondering why you would do this.

Helps with how certain characters react to you, iirc. It makes them all relatively neutral instead of predisposed one way or another.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Worth noting if you pick the 'Recruit' option every time it comes up in dialogue during the tutorial, you'll eventually get bonus AP to mitigate the fact that you started out as a skill-point-less scrub.

Plus it unlocks Veteran which is great for replays (this is a pretty short game that you should replay at least once to see all the ways you can change poo poo around).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Picked up Alpha Protocol on steam for $3, always heard it's an interesting game.

All I remember people suggesting is that you spec pistols/stealth because it lets you breeze through the lovely combat. Anything else? Mods to download?

Don't feel the need to stick to pistols and stealth if you find that boring. You can totally go shotgun, assault rifle, or martial arts. (I would avoid SMG) The important thing is to have one combat skill, the rest is up to you.

Also play with a pad, the game was designed for it and the minigames have some odd mouse lag.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anything for Bard's Tale? (The 2004 one, not the DOS ones.)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Is there anything I should know for crackdown 2?

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

senae posted:

Is there anything I should know for crackdown 2?

Skills for kills agent, skills for kills.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Pierzak posted:

From what i can remember you can unlock a very late game area really early on if you're talking to everybody, going there right when it's unlocked will get you killed just about instantly so just wait (i believe it's Chapter like 7 or 8 that gets unlocked when you're not even out of 2 or 3 yet at that point).

Bows kind of break the game since you're able to shoot off screen into huge groups of enemies and they won't aggro until you get close enough. Also a shield is quite handy since you can get an ability that will let you stun an enemy on a blocked attack.

Stat-wise i remember Charisma being kinda useless since it only influences how much things cost in shops and after a certain point there aren't any at all. Otherwise you really can't go to wrong building your character.

In Chapter 2 there will be a dude that will just talk on and on and on and you have to interrupt him nicely or rudely 3 times. If you let him finish his little speech he gives you an item that you can't get otherwise.

Speaking of Nice and Rude, the optimal way to act changes from person to person so my advice would be just to pick a way to act and stick with it (i personally like Rude since Bard is way more of an interesting character that way)

There are 3 endings and i think you're able to save right before you can choose.

As you go through the towers you unlock various summon abilities and the best ones from my memory where the Level 3 versions of the Princess (gives you invulnerability and increased damage) and Level 3 of the first tower guardian (roots enemies in place and poisons them)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your order of hubs should be Russia, Taiwan, and then Rome
Strongly disagree. You can tackle the hubs in whatever order you like and often going to different hubs first will change things in others (notable examples include the spiked cocaine).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Don't think you have to complete a hub first, then go on to the next one. Mix them up a ton.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah you can go to all the hubs in whatever order, pretty much whenever you need to.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pierzak posted:

Here's my 2 years old message:

Kennel posted:

-Charisma is the least useful attribute. It gives you cheaper stuff but after the early game money shouldn't be an issue.
-Max value for each attribute is 20, but there's +3 token for each of them so you shouldn't put more than 17 to any of them. Max character level is 21.
-There's a dog companion you can get in the first town (I missed it).
-The last shop is in Stromness and you won't need money after that. The point of no return comes soon after.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Yeah you can go to all the hubs in whatever order, pretty much whenever you need to.

Yeah, I don't think there's an "optimal" order to do them in, and the definition of "optimal" would change from person to person (ie, this way gives you more xp early on, or this way unlocks cool story options later, and so on).

Story-wise, this is a game that's designed to be revisited, so for your first run, don't worry about being wrong, just make some choices and then make different ones later.

I'll reiterate the advice that doing it with the "newbie" character first is smart because because it unlocks Veteran for subsequent runs, which lets you power through the game and see the story stuff more quickly. Nothing in the game is too hard when you've got enough pistol and stealth experience.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Convex posted:

Any tips for Dino Crisis please? I heard it's a bit different from the RE games mechanically

If you are playing the first one, it is actually pretty similar.

-There are three endings in total. There are two that are alternatives of one another and there is the best ending.

-If I remember correctly, you can run past every single enemy in the game. Outside of 1 or 2 bosses, I don't think you have to kill a single dinosaur.

-Your handgun sucks. Your shotgun will be you bread and butter since it can shoot tranq darts that you create. Tranq darts are good because they will put dinos to sleep for a moderate amount of time and it only takes one hit.

-You can use the laser fences to kill raptors that are stuck on the other side with your handgun.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the advice!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Thanks guys! BTW, I've seem to have unequipped my weapon (i.e. fighting unarmed). How do I equip it back? Controls and inventory screen aren't helping.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Just picked up Borderlands the Handsome Collection on the xbone. Any advice?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I'm about to start The Last Remnant (PC). I'm told it's a SaGa game with a 360-gen paint job, so can anyone link me to some good mechanical reference materials?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

I'm about to start The Last Remnant (PC). I'm told it's a SaGa game with a 360-gen paint job, so can anyone link me to some good mechanical reference materials?

This wiki's pretty good.

There's also the ongoing LP. Lots of mechanics stuff available just in the second post, which is spoiler free.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

For lack of better words, how does that loot system work in State of Decay? Is it the same stuff every time or is it random? I started a new game and only got 1 large backpack and a small instead of 2 large and at least one small like in my first game.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

juliuspringle posted:

For lack of better words, how does that loot system work in State of Decay? Is it the same stuff every time or is it random? I started a new game and only got 1 large backpack and a small instead of 2 large and at least one small like in my first game.

It's randomized. Of course you can cut back on the randomization by looking for things in certain containers. You're more likely to find weapons and ammo in gun stores and police stations, medical supplies in medicine cabinets and medical buildings, poo poo like that.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

It's randomized. Of course you can cut back on the randomization by looking for things in certain containers. You're more likely to find weapons and ammo in gun stores and police stations, medical supplies in medicine cabinets and medical buildings, poo poo like that.

Guess I'll start another new game then in the hopes I get a couple large backpacks before I head to the church. Is there any reason I shouldn't spend time dicking around the ranger station to build up my cardio before heading to the church?

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

juliuspringle posted:

Guess I'll start another new game then in the hopes I get a couple large backpacks before I head to the church. Is there any reason I shouldn't spend time dicking around the ranger station to build up my cardio before heading to the church?

If you're playing the normal game I wouldn't bother. It's pretty easy on the whole and there are enough timers that you'll have to wait on (building to finish, next mission to appear, etc.) that you'll have plenty of time for it later.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Eldred posted:

If you're playing the normal game I wouldn't bother. It's pretty easy on the whole and there are enough timers that you'll have to wait on (building to finish, next mission to appear, etc.) that you'll have plenty of time for it later.

Spoiler alert. Doesn't the ranger station get overrun? Where are you going to find food once you harvest all of the tents and cabins?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What does this thread have for Dead State in terms of character builds, priorities, etc.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

men what do I need to know about Etrian Mystery Dungeon

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

TerryLennox posted:

Spoiler alert. Doesn't the ranger station get overrun? Where are you going to find food once you harvest all of the tents and cabins?

I dunno, I never had any food issues with just a handful of outposts.

That's probably something worth knowing: make sure you don't completely clear out buildings with a valuable resource type, especially if they're at a good location to protect your base. But keep in mind that you only need to leave one of a resource type (food, medicine, etc.) to convert to an outpost; everything else is wasted.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

juliuspringle posted:

A tip that took me a bit to figure out is that you can put rucksacks into trunks (provided you have a version that lets you stow stuff in the trunks to begin with).

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Taerkar posted:

A tip that took me a bit to figure out is that you can put rucksacks into trunks (provided you have a version that lets you stow stuff in the trunks to begin with).

I know that (sorry I sound like a dick), I'm the kind of the person that grew up on point and click adventure games where you steal everything that isn't nailed down in case you need it later so I like to give my characters large backpacks so I can carry an extra weapon or whatever back to base. I was wondering about dicking around at the ranger station after everyone is dead but before leaving for the church so I could bump Maya's cardio up to 3 to match Marcus's (Marcusi?)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Honestly you'll find yourself more concerned about getting everyone else's stats up more than you'll be worried about Marcus and Maya. They'll be the only ones you can control for a while so they'll be pretty good pretty quick.

If you're interested in modding I've been using QMJS Extended Functions, which mainly brings in a couple of changes from Lifeline and breakdown into the base game along with making ammo stack in a more reasonable manner. Also gives a couple of more options with base building.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Taerkar posted:

Honestly you'll find yourself more concerned about getting everyone else's stats up more than you'll be worried about Marcus and Maya. They'll be the only ones you can control for a while so they'll be pretty good pretty quick.

If you're interested in modding I've been using QMJS Extended Functions, which mainly brings in a couple of changes from Lifeline and breakdown into the base game along with making ammo stack in a more reasonable manner. Also gives a couple of more options with base building.

Definitely gonna have to check that out once I get through the main game so I can better appreciate the differences.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anything I should know about rear end Creed: Freedom Cry beyond what's on the wiki about Black Flag? Ship battles are kicking my rear end.

Edit - Oh yeah, use your upgrades. Duh.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 19, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Xander77 posted:

Anything I should know about rear end Creed: Freedom Cry beyond what's on the wiki about Black Flag? Ship battles are kicking my rear end.

If you use the side guns without aiming, you will use heavy shot which is more powerful than regular shot. I usually always start off my battles with these or the mortars.

Always slow down before turning, you execute tighter turns that way and it will usually put you at an advantageous position in battle.

Be mindful of the red circles and red lines in the water as that is where you will get hit.

Always be ready to fire another volley.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Can someone tell me where the State of Decay save is located? I'd like to make a copy in case the autosave fucks me so I can reload instead of having to start a new game.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

juliuspringle posted:

Can someone tell me where the State of Decay save is located? I'd like to make a copy in case the autosave fucks me so I can reload instead of having to start a new game.

<Steam-folder>\userdata\<user-id>\241540\local

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/State_of_Decay#Save_game_data_location

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I rented the Borderlands Handsome Collection for PS4. I played Borderlands 2 on 360 and most of the DLC so I might not bother with it now, but anything interesting I should know for the Pre-Sequel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

What's the difference between night and day in State of Decay?