Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Even on the high seas, F.O.E! (Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City)

Well this isn't really a vote, but if you guys really want this one...

Also, I've decided that I will pick and choose from the characters you come up with, although if there's too few applicants, it will be first come, first serve. Unless someone happens to come up with something that a lot of people wanna see.

I'm gonna edit in the EO2 class artworks into the class discussions, but I'll leave the EO1 group artwork up in case anyone's curious to see what they looked like in the first game. Once I'm done sorting out everything, I'll uhh. Wait, how do you get an LP archived? This is my first LP so I'm clueless about the whole thing.

Also, I did some test recordings of EO3 and I want some feedback on the videos since I'm using DeSmuME for EO3. Visual and audio quality. The framerate should be a lot better on these than my EO2 vids since I'm not using No$gba this time, and the audio should be a lot less "sharp" for the lack of a better word. Though be warned the 2nd one spoils a fairly early boss fight.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnaTmIC8xFKY
http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUZ8KLXdt5RA

Yes, I used an extremely outdated emulator for this LP, and it was the one with the unremovable gray bar separating the two screens, which I had to manually crop out of every single screenshot that showed the top and the bottom screens at the same time. Yes it was a pain, why do you ask? As for why I used that instead of DeSmuME, it didn't play nice with EO's textboxes, which are actually 3D textures instead of 2D sprites.

Yeah, it uh, didn't look good. And by the time I found out how to get the text to look normal in DeSmuME, it was too late to make the switch. /behind the scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the switch is super simple. 3D settings > switch to OpenGL.
oh and also dont forget to change the CPU mode to JIT, you do that with scroll lock, its a nice FPS boost.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

To archive something, email baldurk at admin@lparchive.org, but know that's he's more or less moving countries right now and it'll take a while before you hear anything from him. So far nothing from 2015 has been put on the archive.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Even with the game breaks, a great LP.

Seriously, I love reading ones where the OP knows the game well enough to just break it apart, and that's just what you did here. Looking forward to your next project.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah the switch is super simple. 3D settings > switch to OpenGL.
oh and also dont forget to change the CPU mode to JIT, you do that with scroll lock, its a nice FPS boost.

:aaaaa:

I tried to play EOIII a while ago, but I couldn't get over the weird text! Guess I'll be playing along with the LP then!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
IIRC Desmume also has an internal patch you can check that fixes text issues with games like EO, so it's even easier than that.

Spielmeister
Mar 31, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

No, this guy actually had a complete LP of EO1, postgame and all. But the LP never got archived, and all the images were lost because they were hosted on Waffleimages.

drat, that's from right before I learned about Let's Plays. The images seem to be displaying fine for me.

Anyway, congrats on the end of a fantastic LP Dr. Fetus.

The End of Raging Players - Etrian Odyssey 3

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Glazius posted:

Even with the game breaks, a great LP.

Seriously, I love reading ones where the OP knows the game well enough to just break it apart, and that's just what you did here. Looking forward to your next project.

While I won't actually break EO3 like codewise, since the game is more well put together than EO2, I do know quite a bit of special tricks in EO3 that I hope to show off.

SC Bracer posted:

IIRC Desmume also has an internal patch you can check that fixes text issues with games like EO, so it's even easier than that.

This is only in the latest version which is 0.9.11 (Do not use 0.9.10), which came out last month. Which means you can use the default 3D renderer for the games, where before it would turn it into mush. The other 3D renderers fix the text box problem, but the nighttime filters in the Labyrinth don't work at all with that setting, so it looks like it's daytime when it's actually supposed to be night. Also that little hack actually fixes ALL the problems with the textboxes. To see what I mean, compare this:

to this:

Unfortunately, it still doesn't have wireless support, so I can't show off the multiplayer features in EO3. (Well I could but then I'd have to buy a 2nd copy of EO3, and that game isn't common in my area. Also I would have to record by camcorder even if I did.)

As a reminder, thread's going up in about 17 hours.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 18, 2015

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Dr. Fetus posted:

This is only in the latest version which is 0.9.11 (Do not use 0.9.10), which came out last month. Which means you can use the default 3D renderer for the games, where before it would turn it into mush. The other 3D renderers fix the text box problem, but the nighttime filters in the Labyrinth don't work at all with that setting, so it looks like it's daytime when it's actually supposed to be night. Also that little hack actually fixes ALL the problems with the textboxes. To see what I mean, compare this:

I ended up checking since I know I've been using the text hack for a lot longer than a month, and I've basically had a dev build of 0.9.11 that lets you render in HD, so that was what you did if you wanted to play without weird graphical errors more than a month ago, I guess.

Also I am glad that hype princess in that example. She is the best.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ooh yeah I just downloaded that. The anti-aliasing is amazing and makes the labyrinth alot easier on the eyes.

(drat third stratum auto-gates being all jaggedy messes.)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So, same way we made characters at the start of this thread? First come first serve?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kemix posted:

So, same way we made characters at the start of this thread? First come first serve?

Only if there's not enough applicants for a given class.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also, I've decided that I will pick and choose from the characters you come up with, although if there's too few applicants, it will be first come, first serve. Unless someone happens to come up with something that a lot of people wanna see.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Posted a little earlier than I planned to, since I'm gonna be busy for the rest of the day, but let the madness begin.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

EDIT: WRONG THREAD.

EDIT 2: Well I might as well take this time to say that I've replaced all the character images in the class discussions with the EO2 artwork. I've also put up the EO2 group artwork for all the classes that were missing it. Though I've left up the EO1 group art in case people are curious to know what they looked like in the first game. I'm still cleaning up the LP, but the music links that aren't Tindeck links should be safe to click on now. The whole virus thing may have been a false positive. I'm still gonna replace those links just in case. Still working on cleaning up the LP before sending it off to the archives.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 29, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Posting to ensure that this doesn't fall into the archives while I still finish cleaning this up. (yeah, I've been pretty slow on that front.) Finished cleaning up the 5th and 6th Stratum stuff and some other updates. Threw out or rewrote several lines (wow, what was I thinking when I was making those updates?) Also toned down Nick heavily, because uuuuuggghhh.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Posting to ensure that this doesn't fall into the archives while I still finish cleaning this up. (yeah, I've been pretty slow on that front.) Finished cleaning up the 5th and 6th Stratum stuff and some other updates. Threw out or rewrote several lines (wow, what was I thinking when I was making those updates?) Also toned down Nick heavily, because uuuuuggghhh.
In this vein, I just want you to know that in my five DH run for EOU2, Nick has died like five times already. :gibs:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I have no idea how much space other SSLPs take up, but in case you're curious about this one.

This is after I deleted some extra large files I didn't need anymore. This whole thing is eating up over half my HDD.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have no idea how much space other SSLPs take up, but in case you're curious about this one.

This is after I deleted some extra large files I didn't need anymore. This whole thing is eating up over half my HDD.

How much do you have in raw video?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

How much do you have in raw video?

I don't know, but there's like hundreds of those and they take up like 2 gigs at most. I also decided to check how much space my EO3 LP was taking up.

I'm not even close to halfway done with that thing! :gonk:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Are you at least using pngout for your images? :ohdear:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Are you at least using pngout for your images? :ohdear:

Didn't really have to. The file sizes for the images are pretty small. The main culprits are the video files I get my screenshots from. I have a lot more of those to work with in the EO3 LP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Finished cleaning up the 3rd and 4th Stratum stuff. Now the beginning of the LP remains. Hopefully I'll get this done by tomorrow.

Oh and to correct something I've said earlier, Fafnir is pretty busted, but he's not game shattering. (yes the remake's out. If you want to play a more balanced version of this game, go get that.) No no no, that honor goes to the Troubadour. They're the new gods of destruction in EO2U. Ronin and Hexer got nerfed, but they're still usable. While Troubadours got overbuffed to the point where you can kill bosses in a few turns with them in the party, when it would normally take several. Oh yeah, and Dark Hunters are still kind of broken.

Quake and tremble before the might of my music.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 6, 2015

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

Finished cleaning up the 3rd and 4th Stratum stuff. Now the beginning of the LP remains. Hopefully I'll get this done by tomorrow.

Oh and to correct something I've said earlier, Fafnir is pretty busted, but he's not game shattering. (yes the remake's out. If you want to play a more balanced version of this game, go get that.) No no no, that honor goes to the Troubadour. They're the new gods of destruction in EO2U. Ronin and Hexer got nerfed, but they're still usable. While Troubadours got overbuffed to the point where you can kill bosses in a few turns with them in the party, when it would normally take several. Oh yeah, and Dark Hunters are still kind of broken.

Quake and tremble before the might of my music.

Holy poo poo. My party's only level 40ish and having a turn where I do over 3000 is a good turn. I think I might need to reclass Flavio into Troubadour.

Edit: Thought about it a little. What exactly is the force break boost from troubadour? I know that ecstasy probably has a ridiculous modifier, but what kind of damage is normal with that party?

FriskyBoat fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 6, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

Holy poo poo. My party's only level 40ish and having a turn where I do over 3000 is a good turn. I think I might need to reclass Flavio into Troubadour.

Edit: Thought about it a little. What exactly is the force break boost from troubadour? I know that ecstasy probably has a ridiculous modifier, but what kind of damage is normal with that party?

War Song prevents the buff timers from ticking down while it's in effect (You can combine this with the Fafnir's Force Shield to keep buffs on everyone from wearing off) and prevents the buffs from being dispelled by enemies.

Crusade increases the party's damage output by 150% and decreases the damage they take (amount currently unknown) for the current turn.

As for the damage, nowhere near that much normally. Once all the buffs are in place and everything is set up, my party deals a crazy amount of damage.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, I finished cleaning up the LP, and just need to archive the thing. So here's one last question for you. What should I have as my archive blurb?

From the Sandcastle:

quote:

It's recommended but not required to include an archive blurb - a 160x120 image and a paragraph short enough to fit next to it without overflowing, see the top of the front page of the archive for examples.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Even on the archive, F.O.E!

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Crosspeice posted:

This. Sometimes, you just have to go with the classics.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Crosspeice posted:

This one. Totally.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mmm, I don't know if that really tells people about the game.

Tried coming up with something myself:

The 2nd game in a series of series of dungeon crawlers that's known for being rather difficult at times. And unbalanced. Especially with this game. Also, squirrels are the devil.

EDIT: Probably will go with this picture instead:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2015

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah, it was a bit of a joke. But I think the image doesn't need to include the title, since that'll be above the description anyway. Description is also fine, but add my line and it'll be perfect.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Maybe have the "Even on the archive, F.O.E.!" thing be the stinger for the end of the table of contents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

http://lparchive.org/Etrian-Odyssey-II-Heroes-of-Lagaard/

Took 8 years, but now there's finally an Etrian Odyssey LP on the archive! Thanks for reading, everybody!

• Locked thread