Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime news network is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

Also, the assistant editor of ANN, JesuOtaku, is RGD Internet Critic Discussion thread regular Jay O, and she pretty much hates this show. She and the ANN Executive Editor just put out a 2 and a half hour podcast with a guest Fate fan earlier this week that is pretty negative about Fate/Zero, as well as the fanbase of the show as well. It explains why she never comes by ADTRW though, I guess...

This sounds like a waste of two and a half hours for everyone involved, and a good example of why anime news network is bad

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I believe you'll find that they're actually waging a lonely and misunderstood war and that they will never be rewarded for it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 18, 2015

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Namtab posted:

Anime news network is bad

Sometimes they're ok, but then they overrated Tokyo Ghoul so what you say is true.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
To be honest, most of my like of F/SN comes from the presentation, particularly the whole "story told over three separate arcs" thing. The story itself is kind of eh (especially when you look at each route individually), the setting seems to be the perfect breeding ground for :spergin:, and if I had a nickel for every time I've read "this character may seem overpowered, but he's not actually because of this list of weaknesses that will never be relevant and are only around so the character doesn't look OP" in a fanwork then I'd be a millionaire.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the music makes it good. Good music makes a lot of stories good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Thanks for update on the going ons of ANN

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

I believe you'll find that they're actually waging a lonely and misunderstood war and that they will never be rewarded for.

I probably won't, tho

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Thanks for update on the going ons of ANN
/

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

GhostStalker posted:

Apparently, that was after 20 pages of comments (at like 15 comments a page) of people arguing back and forth about whether the anime was sexist over one weekend after the review was posted, which is kinda insane... The reviewer for ANN is a film studies major, so she approaches it in a way that pisses off many Fate fans who have their already clearly formed opinions.

For some reason, I decided to get in on the arguing this weekend after a whole thing where the reviewer panned this latest episode and people were going nuts about it. She's clearly skeeved out by a lot of the rabid fanbase Fate has, and really dislikes the way the Shinji attacking Rin scene was done this past episode, calling it titillating fanservice.

Also, the assistant editor of ANN, JesuOtaku, is RGD Internet Critic Discussion thread regular Jay O, and she pretty much hates this show. She and the ANN Executive Editor just put out a 2 and a half hour podcast with a guest Fate fan earlier this week that is pretty negative about Fate/Zero, as well as the fanbase of the show as well. It explains why she never comes by ADTRW though, I guess...

Biggest problem seems to be that the ANN crew have Doylist (as in the out of universe explanation and what led the author to write a story the way he did, aka what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is thinking when he writes the Sherlock Holmes stories) takes on the show, while Fate fans seem to prefer Watsonian (as in the material provided in universe for explanation, aka what James Watson explains to a reader in Sherlock Holmes stories) interpretations...

It's bad

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Compendium posted:

Really?? I would think that scene wouldn't titillate anyone, people would want Shinji to get punched. Which happened.

Most crit towards the Fate franchise as a whole, I mostly agree with because they aren't baseless and the fandom in general sucks, but sometimes there's just plain misinterpretation.

Read the review. Gabby is pretty down on the episode in general, but she leaves some of the loudest criticism for that scene:

Gabriella Ekens' UBW Episode 19 review posted:

Finally, Shinji's assault on Rin was gross and unnecessary. It wasn't as bad as it could have been (no blushing or squirming), but the shots of him feeling up her legs were clearly meant to titillate the audience. I'd prefer it if my entertainment didn't expect me to derive pleasure from a woman being nonconsensually felt up, thanks. Rin is also strangely limp throughout it. She doesn't struggle or spit in his face, like you'd expect she might. Instead, she's as limp as a log. Normally, she's a very assertive person. I used to think that Shinji was funny, but that was back when he didn't seem like a threat. Please no more rape imagery, UBW.

I hope that this is the worst episode.

I thought that was a given... :shrug:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Just read it actually. Either way at least she sticks to her guns regardless of what the rabid fanbase says. I do agree Rin could have done a bit more (it'd be funny if she pulled a Black Widow and back flipped in a chair, but she's not her so whatever).

Man, if she thought Shinji is awful during that scene.... ahahaha Heaven's Feel....

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
What? Is part of their reasoning seriously, "she didn't react the way I wanted her to"?

Also, Shinji was portrayed as rapey/really drat creepy in the previous season. His connection to the girl who went missing, then showed up with no memory of that time, and his interactions with Sakura and Rin. The only comedic part of Shinji's character is watching get his face beaten in because he's so scummy.

Schubalts fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 18, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hmm I see, very interesting

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Hmm I see, very interesting

I love ANN

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Poking around her later reviews, there's the confusing statement "I really liked Caster in the game but hope they don't keep the" scorned woman" part of her in the show." Which... makes me feel like she doesn't know who Medea is?

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

GhostStalker posted:

Hmmm? They were extremely positive about Fate/Zero. It's the rest of the franchise that they don't like.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Schubalts posted:

What? Is part of their reasoning seriously, "she didn't react the way I wanted her to"?

I think she feels it was out of character for Rin not to be more defiant there. I get the impression that it's because Rin doesn't even respect/fear Shinji enough to defy him properly; contrast with the way she lets her sharp tongue loose when Kirei shows up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Poking around her later reviews, there's the confusing statement "I really liked Caster in the game but hope they don't keep the" scorned woman" part of her in the show." Which... makes me feel like she doesn't know who Medea is?

lol

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think she feels it was out of character for Rin not to be more defiant there. I get the impression that it's because Rin doesn't even respect/fear Shinji enough to defy him properly; contrast with the way she lets her sharp tongue loose when Kirei shows up.

Personally I spent the entire scene wondering why she didn't just kick him in the balls. I blame the animators for not tying her up more effectively.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Stall_19 posted:

Hmmm? They were extremely positive about Fate/Zero. It's the rest of the franchise that they don't like.

The Fate fanbase that it brought along then. I also feel that Hope and Zac had extremely negative readings of some of the characters in Zero in that podcast though.

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, that's my take on it too. Rin doesn't even let her "perfect honor student" facade slip even when Shinji assaulting her because that would mean acknowledging Shinji. But when Kirei reveals himself, she lets loose, and Shinji is shocked.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2015

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Rin's a terrible mage if she can't use magic to escape from simply being tied up.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
The film studies major part makes me interested, but everything else I'm hearing makes this person seem like a dumbass. Doesn't matter what education you got if you're dumb, unfortunately.

EDIT: Was ANN that one forum I visited for a day that hated UBW for not having enough monologues? That would certainly explain a lot.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Twiddy posted:

The film studies major part makes me interested, but everything else I'm hearing makes this person seem like a dumbass. Doesn't matter what education you got if you're dumb, unfortunately.

Said person actually posts on SA, and has a major cult of personality going in the Critic thread. Because of course.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Said person actually posts on SA, and has a major cult of personality going in the Critic thread. Because of course.

They're not the same reviewer, actually. Jay O, aka Hope Chapman, aka JesuOtaku, is the Assistant Editor of ANN; Gabriella Ekens, aka Gabbomatic, is the one doing the actual UBW reviews. They have similar opinions though.

I invited Jay O over here to talk about them, but I dunno if she'll take me up on that offer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You're just jealous that they get paid to hate anime while you have to do it for free.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

E: well that answers that, finally, the cross site drama made real, thanks a heap Ghost

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Clarste posted:

You're just jealous that they get paid to hate anime while you have to do it for free.
Unfortunately, I love anime.

EDIT: Oh boy visitors, I love visitors!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, maybe you could get paid if you hated it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

They're not the same reviewer, actually. Jay O, aka Hope Chapman, aka JesuOtaku, is the Assistant Editor of ANN; Gabriella Ekens, aka Gabbomatic, is the one doing the actual UBW reviews. They have similar opinions though.

I invited Jay O over here to talk about them, but I dunno if she'll take me up on that offer.

Oh, I thought the conversation was still about Jay. I've just seen the posts about the show in the critic thread, I don't know anything about ANN's structure or whatnot.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Pretend Shinji is the ANN forums, because like Shinji it needs a punch in the mug

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wait, I'm confused, is the problem with ANN the reviewers, or the forums? Because the ANN forums hate the reviewers too.

Well, guess it could also be both.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't care

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean the reviews seem bad, but looking at the comments it's a mix of lore sperging, gaters, and genuine criticism. So it's a comment section on the internet.

E: as far as the Shinji scene goes, having Rin do nothing seems overly restrained on her part (I think she kicked him in the game?), but I will accept it in exchange for that sick gif.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Cake Attack posted:

I don't care

But yes, the gif is great and Lancer is the best Servant.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm generally didainful of both the type of person who will record a two and a half hour podcast just to force their point and the type of person who's will listen to it.

Also most reviewers, internet or otherwise mostly run on forcing their own prejudices and are supported by aforesaid cult of personality.

I watched some jesseotaku vids and they were shallow critique, weeb subtitle jokes and cosplay, somehow more obnoxious than the longest madoka posts

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

Wait, I'm confused, is the problem with ANN the reviewers, or the forums? Because the ANN forums hate the reviewers too.

The forums are the really bad ones. The reviewers are a bit of a mixed bag, but I think they're OK on the whole. The only really bad reviewer is Theron.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The only JO video I remember much is when she said she refused to read Berserk even though she loved the show because she resented cliffhanger "read the original" endings.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Clarste posted:

It's pretty much both. Like Rodyle said, the forum response thread seem split between those who like the reviews (sizable minority), those who blame the reviewers for being SJWs, those who have general criticism, and those Fate fans who enjoy :spergin: about it.

Rodyle posted:

E: well that answers that, finally, the cross site drama made real, thanks a heap Ghost

Meh, she's got an account here already, might as well make use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

I don't care

I care, deeply.