Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/chana-masala-with-coconut/

Can I take it for granted that it's not bad when I don't know where to even buy a third of the spices and lack the equipment to treat them properly? :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
You could buy everything on that list, including the spice grinder, from Amazon. All the ingredients are common except the (optional) "stone flower".

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Xoidanor posted:

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/chana-masala-with-coconut/

Can I take it for granted that it's not bad when I don't know where to even buy a third of the spices and lack the equipment to treat them properly? :negative:

I had much the same reaction at first. Did you read the recipe at the bottom of the page? includes directions on how to cook the chickpeas if you don't have a pressure cooker (which I initially baulked at) and is a bit less intimidating on the whole. And the rest of the non-optional stuff isn't that hard to find around.

I am scratching my head a bit about the asafoetida though, being in bloody buggery Australia.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you can find an Indian market, you can usually get huge bags of Indian spices for cheap, both whole and ground. If no Indian people live near you, online is your only hope.

Asafoetida is not for beginners, though... buying a bottle of it is kind of a commitment. I might try and master the other spices first.

EDIT: That recipe looks great! I usually make punjabi style, since I loving love amchoor, but next time I'll try it this way.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 18, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

DumbparameciuM posted:

I had much the same reaction at first. Did you read the recipe at the bottom of the page? includes directions on how to cook the chickpeas if you don't have a pressure cooker (which I initially baulked at) and is a bit less intimidating on the whole. And the rest of the non-optional stuff isn't that hard to find around.

I am scratching my head a bit about the asafoetida though, being in bloody buggery Australia.

It's easy to get at an Indian shop (and I'm one of the people in the food desert of Western Australia that often has a whinge about how some stuff is hard to get, especially with Mexican products). Usually easy to get Indian and Asian stuff here at least, even in Perth.

The only thing I haven't already got in my pantry from that recipe is black cardamom and "stone flower" - whatever that is.
Most ingredients on that recipe you can get from normal supermarkets, lots of new spice suppliers out there hitting the supermarkets(E: independant ones at least, coles and woolies seem to just have home brand private labels and mccormicks). But you'll save some money getting them along with the asafoetida from an Indian wholesaler/supplier/grocery shop.

I recommend getting a pressure cooker, so useful for cheap dried beans, meats, plain rice cooked in 4min, and a risotto in 7min without stirring. With energy costs going up who wants to braise or simmer for hours anyway? But if you don't want a pressure cooker, then tinned beans are only 99c a can anyway.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 18, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
This has been some great advice re the Indian food discussion. With respect to the recipe stuff, does anyone have a Vindaloo recipe to use? We're going grocery shopping either tonight or tomorrow. Manjula's kitchen doesn't have a vindaloo recipe.

That said, I suppose I am open to trying something else first... The GF is a big fan of lentil dishes, I suppose.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Paper With Lines posted:

Manjula's kitchen doesn't have a vindaloo recipe.
That's because Manjula only does vegetarian recipes, and I've never heard of a vegetarian vindaloo. In fact ignore any recipe for it that's not called "goan pork vindaloo", because that's the original dish. It requires a lot of ingredients, more than the chana masala mentioned before. Lots of vinegar and garlic as well hence the name, plus a couple of onions.
I haven't got a tried, tested and modified recipe on hand, but just searching for " goan pork vindaloo " will give you ideas.
Similar curry to vegetarians stuff like mentioned, plus vinegar, garlic and onion, plus meat marinating time. E: from then on similar procedure to a vegetarian curry like before, minus the fruity spices or asafeotida is how I'd sum it up.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 18, 2015

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fo3 posted:

In fact ignore any recipe for it that's not called "goan pork vindaloo", because that's the original dish.

This is the most appalling food snob bullshit.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If a dish isn't exactly like it was the first time it was made ever, then it's not authentic and therefore can't possibly taste good. I thought this was already understood.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

This is the most appalling food snob bullshit.

More to the point that if you're taking a random recipe of the internet, looking for that one will show a result truer to what flavours you expect or want, is not food snobbery. Thanks for the pointless nit picking.
I bet you both got recipes from awesome sites like food.com etc all the time right?
E: there's a time when you need to be a snob, and searching through random recipes on the internet is one of those times.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 18, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Clearly the only good steak is one you hack off a leftover carcass that a lion or bear killed.

Mmm high meat.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Fo3 posted:

More to the point that if you're taking a random recipe of the internet, looking for that one will show a result truer to what flavours you expect or want

Except it almost certainly won't, because most people know vindaloo from the "inauthentic" one served at almost every Indian restaurant ever.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My Goan Pork Vindaloo uses Campbells cream of mushroom and tomato soups so you can save time and money. It's super delish!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Casu Marzu posted:

Clearly the only good steak is one you hack off a leftover carcass that a lion or bear killed.

Mmm high meat.

casu marzu is more into the paleo diet than YOU.

take THAT paleo diet people.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

Except it almost certainly won't, because most people know vindaloo from the "inauthentic" one served at almost every Indian restaurant ever.

Or someone has never had one, so use google to find an authentic recipe to cook at home specifically so they can get angry the first time they try it at an Indian restaurant, because they know it's not right and that's what GWS posters do best and is their SOP.
Just so they can whinge to the restaurant infrequent posters is something wrong is done in their universe.
gently caress, post a vindaloo recipe!

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 18, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fo3 posted:

or you've never had one, so use google to find an authentic recipe to cook at home specifically so you can get angry the first time you try it an an Indian restaurnant, because you know it's not right and that's what GWS posters do best.
Just so they can whinge to the restaurant infrequent posters is something wrong is done in their universe.
gently caress, post a vindaloo recipe!

Wow, dude.

Maybe you should try a juice detox. You seem hella worked up about peasant food.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Balls. The lamb vindaloo I had in a Bradford curry house is just as "right" as the one had on a beach in Goa, made from the local farmer's pet pig.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Casu Marzu posted:

Wow, dude.

Maybe you should try a juice detox. You seem hella worked up about peasant food.

Some spelling fixed, I thought you should know.
A detox would probably kill me. I really really love peasant food. Like, a lot!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You seem to be projecting a lot onto "GWS".

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I kinda wish I had seen the vindaloo-based poo poo storm in here before posting a request for the same in general questions :ohdear:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Casu Marzu posted:

You seem to be projecting a lot onto "GWS".

No I'm not. Scientastic just had a bone to pick with me for no reason. They mentioned a Bradford vindaloo was pretty good, but context is key here, previous talk was about a chana masala done pretty much like most Indian curries. Most of my post was about that, doing it similar with pork, vinegar and garlic, onion and similar spices. E: I just mentioned goan pork as a search term to find the better recipes as I didn't have one at hand. Others seem to want to pick on that rather than produce recipes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 18, 2015

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Ok.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Does anyone have a recipe for Brad Vindaloo?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Brad Vinda-who?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
One Brad
One Vindaloo

Combine and enjoy.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One Brad
One Vindaloo

Combine and enjoy.

Tried this and it came out great but substituted jarred turkey gravy for the vindaloo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

icehewk posted:

Tried this and it came out great but substituted jarred turkey gravy for the vindaloo.

Not salty enough

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

One Brad
One Vindaloo

Combine and enjoy.

the bro store was out of brads so i bought a chad instead, 3/10 would not buy again

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Was it this thread where people were complaining about serving food on driftwood and roofing tiles? Anyway, here's something possibly worse: http://laughingsquid.com/israeli-restaurant-winery-partners-to-create-smartphone-friendly-dishware-to-encourage-posting-meals-to-instagram/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's pretty dumb that people are so into socially mediating every single moment of their lives that manufacturers are starting to create trashy gadgets for every different permutation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

It's pretty dumb that people are so into socially mediating every single moment of their lives that manufacturers are starting to create trashy gadgets for every different permutation.

It makes perfect sense, foodies are a goldmine.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I don't get it, why not hold up the phone? What's being gained here? And where's my oatmeal goddamnit I'm late for shuffleboard.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

:iceburn:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
quick sanity check : has anyone ever had dry aged beef that they actually think is noticeably better tasting than AverageBeef?

I've eaten dry aged steaks maybe a dozen of times, and prepared them myself maybe half of those times, and I'm almost completely convinced I can't taste any difference over normal beef, aside from maybe a slight tenderness advantage that could just as easily be chalked up to overcooking or whatever by a few degrees. I've sous vide both dry aged and regular steaks too though, so dunno, still didn't notice a huge difference.

I got some beautiful 60 day dry aged tenderloin for like $29/lb from a well respected local butcher/charcuterie guy, and cooked it absolutely perfectly, which is why I'm asking. it was delicious, but just not any better than I feel like a well cooked steak ever is. :/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Your tastebuds are broken, mindphlux. There's definitely a funk to a long dry age over the normal vaccubagged stuff that's served.

Edit: Your problem is getting tenderloin. I find the fattier cuts benefit from dry aging more than the super lean ones.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 19, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

There's a bleu cheese esque funkiness to good dry aged beef, but I normally buy big ribeyes when I go dry aged.

Part of this though is how I feel about grass fed beef. I believe that grass fed might be better for the cow and a premium product, but I'm used to grain fed beef and prefer it. Maybe for some people they're just used to non aged beef and don't care about the funky taste?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You gotta find someone that does both. We would graze on grass and finish on corn and those steaks owned so hard.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
As a family member of the Benningfield Beefmaster legacy, Angus can go eat a fat dick, grass and corn fed Beefmaster is the one and true cow. Matlock is the greatest animal whom ever lived, and I am proud to say that as he passed, he will never be forgotten, and gently caress Angus into the goddamn ground. So. loving. Hard.

P.S. Love you Papa, sorry Beefmaster didn't work out, I blame G.W. Bush, Nolan Ryan, etc.

P.P.S. I am so loving drunk you guys. So much, that you made me remember my grandpa, who had so much influence, You Didn't Even Know, like, amirite?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

You gotta find someone that does both. We would graze on grass and finish on corn and those steaks owned so hard.

I've had steaks like that and I wouldn't even call an all grass fed steak "bad" but I just prefer corn.

I wonder if a lot of people just don't associate the dry age taste with steak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chemmy posted:

There's a bleu cheese esque funkiness to good dry aged beef, but I normally buy big ribeyes when I go dry aged.

Hmmm, would drenching a nice, well marbled ribeye in bleu cheese dressing roughly replicate the experience of dry aged beef? :v:

I have a relative who completely slathers every bite of steak they eat in bleu cheese dressing. :barf: