Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kat Delacour posted:

It makes me want to stop watching this show. I've turned off movies for less. That scene could've been 10-15 seconds shorter and had exactly the same gravitas of the brutalised woman without actually broadcasting the results.

They could've just stopped it at Theon closing the door, inferring what happens. It's becoming a little eye rolling how people keep pulling out the "uh it's game of thrones, you thought this had a happy ending duurrrr??" thing every time someone complains that they go a bit too far sometimes on this show. It's okay to think a show that is so bleak and miserable and that's the point also goes too far sometimes guys! The rape scene at the end was unnecessary! I know rape sucks, I didn't need another scene about how rape sucks and Sansa's life is poo poo.

I'm not stopping watching the show cause otherwise I like it, but I do understand if this particular scene makes people stop watching, because it went too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It would have gone too far if it actually showed nudity or was shot with any eroticism at all.

The way it was shot tied into the scene of Theon not being allowed to hold Sansa's hand earlier. By framing Theon and Sansa's reactions, it's making them share the same pain and tying them together. Just closing the door does not give the immediate visceral visual storytelling of that. That's why the focus was almost entirely on their shared reaction.

If it doesn't pay off, then yes, it's a waste, but there is a reason for that scene being framed the way that it was from a narrative standpoint.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
I'm still watching because deep in my heart of hearts I am hoping that when Danny attacks Westeros at last she will leave Tyrion in charge of slavers bay, and we get to see him be hand of the king again.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
It's fine she didn't say no.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Wow, I thought they were joking. People here are fine with all of the horrible things that happen to people in this series, but NOW THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR!

This doesn't strike anyone as a bit hypocritical? Why is this event the worst thing to happen to anyone in the series?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
More like the story is retardedly slow and getting worse while the only reward is a Sansa rape scene with no nudity

The cult subplot sucks

parara
Apr 9, 2010

The Snark posted:

Wow, I thought they were joking. People here are fine with all of the horrible things that happen to people in this series, but NOW THEY'VE GONE TOO FAR!

This doesn't strike anyone as a bit hypocritical? Why is this event the worst thing to happen to anyone in the series?

People have different criteria/thresholds for things that make them wildly uncomfortable! Imagine that!

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

parara posted:

People have different criteria/thresholds for things that make them wildly uncomfortable! Imagine that!

I find your answer to the question of 'why' seems to be 'because'.

It's not a very good answer is it?

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/uitJ7

this is loving precious

good morning thred

Don't be these people. These people are being idiots, except for the one unfollowing everyone else demanding the writers be fired, flogged and and staked out as a warning unto others.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 18, 2015

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Bobo the Red posted:

I kinda thought a key point of the scene was that Sansa didn't quite know what she got herself into, because there's no way to know. She's smarter and savvier, but there are things she can't prepare for. That's not her fault: rape happens to women in every godamn station in life, all the loving time, in all kinds of settings. Women are attacked by friends, strangers, and husbands, at home, in the street, in public. Did she know know she would be expected to have sex with him? Yeah, probably. Did she know he was an rear end in a top hat? To some extent. But did she expect to be brutally raped while her brothers' killer watched? Highly unlikely.

It's loving gross to frame it as if she knew what she was getting herself into (this is a classic accusation aimed at rape victims to diminish the crime!), or to act as if this happening to her nullified what she's been through and the strides she's made (this is an unfortunate tendency people have to see someone as only a victim). Sansa is stronger than she started the show, and she will remain strong (unless the showrunners really wanna lose everyone), because what happened to her was an act of brutality that is neither her fault or some price she paid for anything. It was an evil horrible thing a gross man did.

It wouldn't be a better scene if we saw her bracing herself and the violence was obfuscated. A rape scene shouldn't be shot to make you more comfortable with it. If anything, they should have focused on Sansa, not Theon, but they probably realized that would go way too far. Theon was a buffer.

Maybe the point is that there is no point, really. Maybe they realized that the story needed this marriage to happen, and that this scene was the natural conclusion. Then they're left with: do we show it, or not? What is the impact of showing it? What is the impact of not showing it (having a main character raped offscreen) and having to bring it up later?

Relax the hero of the show Stannis Baratheon is going to rescue her and she'll gently caress the poo poo out of him while Theon watches smiling and nodding approval. It'll be really hot and an artistic juxtaposition from this earlier scene it's like poetry it rhymes.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
When does the fire witch get her rape scene? I think she's the hottest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

parara
Apr 9, 2010

The Snark posted:

It's not a very good answer is it?

It isn't, it just requires some empathy and accepting that some folks may be desensitized to TV violence but may be supremely unsettled by sexual assault. Or vice versa. Mix and match any ~controversial entertainment thing~ in that statement and you get what I mean.

I feel like I've been witnessing some Twilight Zone poo poo in this thread where posters can't wrap their minds around this very simple concept 'cause everything needs to be explained away. Because THEIR experience with a scene is the ONLY experience, right?

But poo poo, goons and trying to see something from someone else's point of view may be a little too much to ask for.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

parara posted:

It isn't, it just requires some empathy and accepting that some folks may be desensitized to TV violence but may be supremely unsettled by sexual assault. Or vice versa. Mix and match any ~controversial entertainment thing~ in that statement and you get what I mean.

I feel like I've been witnessing some Twilight Zone poo poo in this thread where posters can't wrap their minds around this very simple concept 'cause everything needs to be explained away. Because THEIR experience with a scene is the ONLY experience, right?

This still doesn't answer the question why. Has there been no other sexual violence in the series? Is this the first instance of it? Was I mistaken and Game of Thrones has actually been about the largest game of musical chairs ever imagined in a whimsical fantasy setting- going off of the rails now into this?

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
If you think this show doesn't have rape scenes you weren't paying attention. *leans back and strokes neckbeard*

parara
Apr 9, 2010

The Snark posted:

This still doesn't answer the question why. Has there been no other sexual violence in the series? Is this the first instance of it? Was I mistaken and Game of Thrones has actually been about the largest game of musical chairs ever imagined in a whimsical fantasy setting- going off of the rails now into this?

I can't and don't want to speak for anyone who may be quitting the show but here's something I said a bunch of pages back:

parara posted:

Why is it so hard for some of you to understand that this was just the final straw after being dissatisfied with the show for various reasons for a while now? I don't think there's anyone out there who's quitting the show just because of this scene, unless they're on Tumblr a lot.

I honestly doubt it's just THIS scene that makes folks go IM QUITTING!!!!!!111, but far more eloquent people than I have explained why this scene felt unnecessary and off-putting to many, both in this thread and the other one.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
It's worse that HBO practically has nudity as a requirement for adult actresses to get a part in these shows.

That's a form of rape

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

The Snark posted:

It's not a very good answer is it

People don't need a logical reason to explain why they reacted to a scene. It's a bit ridiculous that you think you can go NUH UH or YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT when people are just stating how they felt when viewing a scene. And man at least those dudes are giving their opinions about what happened on the show instead of stopping by to sneer.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I've thought it before, but this show is a phenomenon and not watching it is difficult without becoming a hermit, or at least living alone. This is not a problem exclusive to GoT either, it is just yet more lazy rape writing. It happens, we know this, it's traumatic, we know this, the character needs to be in jeopardy, we know this, but do we need to watch and hear her anguished screams lingering and echoing and bouncing off the flat narrative to understand her life is pretty poo poo.

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 14:02 on May 18, 2015

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

People don't need a logical reason to explain why they reacted to a scene. It's a bit ridiculous that you think you can go NUH UH or YEAH BUT WHAT ABOUT when people are just stating how they felt when viewing a scene. And man at least those dudes are giving their opinions about what happened on the show instead of stopping by to sneer.

You needn't put thoughts in my head, I have enough of my own thank you.

People should be thinking about why this part was so unacceptable, and precisely how much outrage this fiction warrants. That said, if folks want to start a twit campaign to end the show over this... Knock yourselves out. There is precedent, you know. People have been raging about the fate of fictional characters since word went into print.

It was, at best, just as silly then.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

MVP posted:

It's worse that HBO practically has nudity as a requirement for adult actresses to get a part in these shows.

That's a form of rape

I would be ok with this if we got equal amounts of wang, but currently Oz is laughing at GoTs levels of wang all the way back from the 1990s.

There's also a completely unnecessary sounding Lena Hedly nude scene coming up later in the series if the headlines are to be believed.

The way they go about nudity in this show completely validates feminist positions on conditions in the film industry.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cutting a dick off: Win

murder and flaying: Win

rape: gah!! My eyes. [my wallet closes fast] my wallet! You are very cool my man!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Okay what do Twitter campaigns have to do with anyone posting in this thread though? It just has seemed like people are trying to fight a proxy war with Twitter or tumbler or whatever in this thread when the reactions here have been pretty low key. A couple people don't want to watch anymore, so what?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MVP posted:

That's a form of rape

I'm glad of it

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Black Baby Goku posted:

Cutting a dick off: Win

murder and flaying: Win

rape: gah!! My eyes. [my wallet closes fast] my wallet! You are very cool my man!

Except that the Theon parts were the most hated parts of S3 for exactly those reasons.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kat Delacour posted:

I've thought it before, but this show is a phenomenon and not watching it is difficult without becoming a hermit, or at least living alone. This is not a problem exclusive to GoT either, it is just yet more lazy rape writing. It happens, we know this, it's traumatic, we know this, the character needs to be in jeopardy, we know this, but do we need to watch and hear her anguished screams lingering and echoing and bouncing off the flat narrative to understand her life is pretty poo poo.

Yes, we need to hear it, because we aren't babies that can't contextually understand fiction. Lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xoidanor posted:

Except that the Theon parts were the most hated parts of S3 for exactly those reasons.

No they weren't. They were great.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
It doesn't help that rape scenes are jerk-off material thinly veiled as character development lol

Totally didn't blow my load when Lucy Lawless gets a poo poo kicker in Spartacus. You're welcome, goons.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Okay what do Twitter campaigns have to do with anyone posting in this thread though? It just has seemed like people are trying to fight a proxy war with Twitter or tumbler or whatever in this thread when the reactions here have been pretty low key. A couple people don't want to watch anymore, so what?

"your experience was not similar to my experience please explain why and how, wait nevermind i don't care at all you big baby see you next week AM I RIGHT GUYS HEH HAH HEH"

Just another reason for folks to be smug or self-righteous about something, par for the course.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Pretty much. I've stopped watching shows for far less serious reasons than 'it terribly upset me'.

Weeds for example. I stopped watching it because it became bad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

In retrospect, they were very effective, and actually helped with both characters' development (and each scene systematically broke down another part of Theon, to get to the point where he is now, and where most people sympathize with him). We aren't sure if that will happen here or not but people love to jump guns.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[completely sane and normal man]: Fiction upsets me

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Controversial rape scenes is how you get more viewers to watch your show, if you think it has anything to do with a story then you're mistaken.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

MVP posted:

Controversial rape scenes is how you get more viewers to watch your show, if you think it has anything to do with a story then you're mistaken.

Jokes on them, all they'll get to see a drunken sober dwarf and a guy with leprosy go sailing very slllllooowwwwllllyyyy for many episodes

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

MVP posted:

I don't even know how to approach this. Yes, it's controversial and drives discussion...but to imply that such scenes have nothing to do with the plot is insane.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MVP posted:

Wow you really pulled back the curtain on those devious, record breaking millionaires over at HBO

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

Darko posted:

In retrospect, they were very effective, and actually helped with both characters' development (and each scene systematically broke down another part of Theon, to get to the point where he is now, and where most people sympathize with him). We aren't sure if that will happen here or not but people love to jump guns.

As hard as those scenes were to watch I do appreciate seeing what effect they had on Theon. I don't know if his transformation into Reek would have been impactful without them.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

BubbleGoose posted:

As hard as those scenes were to watch I do appreciate seeing what effect they had on Theon. I don't know if his transformation into Reek would have been impactful without them.

Yeah, I'm pretty curious what last night's episode is going to mean for Theon now because he was so hosed up by all of it and seems like something snapped. Less Reek, back into Theon....?

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!

parara posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty curious what last night's episode is going to mean for Theon now because he was so hosed up by all of it and seems like something snapped. Less Reek, back into Theon....?

What sucks is that the controversy that usually surrounds Theon's scenes often distracts attention away from the quality of Alfie Allen's performance. Allen is killing it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

BubbleGoose posted:

I doesn't work for Sansa though because she has already been broken in the show too many times to count.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

I don't even know how to approach this. Yes, it's controversial and drives discussion...but to imply that such scenes have nothing to do with the plot is insane.

Well, take out the Sansa rape scene and you still have a character that's been through poo poo creek except now the audiences REALLY gets it

So I feel it was a scene not worth much except Sansa's asian screaming giving me a boner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

I doesn't work for Sansa though because she has already been broken in the show too many times to count.

No she hasn't. Sansa is not broken. She's never been broken. Scared? Absolutely. Sad? Sure. Naive. In the beginning, yes. But she's never once been broken. That's what gets me about folks. Whether they love Sansa or hate her, everyone seems determined to see her as a victim. Now it remains to be seen if Ramsey will break her, but I don't see that happening.

• Locked thread