Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Nodoze posted:

Have a little patience is the best advice

The worst advice is buy a mystery cheap beater over the internet sight unseen and hope you can save it.

I was actually almost a little disappointed when a mechanically sound and rust free car turned up on my doorstep :smith:

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

RillAkBea posted:

The worst advice is buy a mystery cheap beater over the internet sight unseen and hope you can save it.

Best advice actually, plenty of entertainment for us!

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Unfortunately the reason I'm looking for a miata is because I totaled my mazda 3 yesterday. So I need to get a new car relatively soon. I figure my insure will give me a rental for a month or so.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

Unfortunately the reason I'm looking for a miata is because I totaled my mazda 3 yesterday. So I need to get a new car relatively soon. I figure my insure will give me a rental for a month or so.

They won't.

How much experience do you have mechanically? Budget?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Phone posted:

They won't.

How much experience do you have mechanically? Budget?

Very little. Budget is around 12k give or take.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

Very little. Budget is around 12k give or take.

Buy the nicest NC you can afford. $10kish will put you in an NC1 or the first of the NC2s.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Screw miata prices. Last year it was valued less than 1k and I didn't have to pay car tax on it. This year its back up to 2800 and taxable. '94 with a torsen and 140k miles I paid 2900 for 5 years ago from a boat mechanic out in northern neck, VA.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

Buy the nicest NC you can afford. $10kish will put you in an NC1 or the first of the NC2s.

He said he doesn't like the NC, can't blame him, I don't think I could bring myself to buy one especially with the ND coming out now.

Best bet is wait for a NB that isn't horribly over priced, you should be able to find a nice NB for under 8k.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The NB isn't all that and then some, but their owners haven't gotten the note and still want 8k for a 2003 or something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I agree, but what are you gonna do if you don't want a NC and can't afford a ND?

Might as well find a decent 1.8 NA honestly.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
At this point it might even make sense to look into importing from Canada. The dollar crashed very hard but the local prices are still the same as last year, so an instant 25% discount with USD.

I've picked up this for basically 3k american:

This would be my other choice, given an opportunity:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1992-mazda-miata-special-edition/1072747170?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I'll stat looking into the toronto area as well. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5021996856.html I found this listing today. The fact that it's not stock and he is the third owner kind of worries me, but it looks to be in good condition.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

I'll stat looking into the toronto area as well. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5021996856.html I found this listing today. The fact that it's not stock and he is the third owner kind of worries me, but it looks to be in good condition.

Looks clean, but not worth $6k. It'd be close to 5k if it came with a hardtop.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I sent him an offer for 4.8k But I doubt he will accept. I also found this. Looks to be pretty clean from the pictures http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/636298407/overview/

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i think miatas will tend have more owners than other cars being they are so impractical. I bought mine with 32 k miles and i am the third owner and haven't had a single problem

that one you just posted, I personally would not buy a modded car. I mean, they obviously can be benign or good, but I don't know why you would bother putting a cold air intake on this car. even then, I found with my jeep that other people's old mods usually introduce quirks or problems that nobody can relate to and you'll just want to rip it out. That exhaust tip looks pretty atrocious to me too. a plexi glass windshield on a non track car? what for? get a roll bar first.

relating again to my old jeep... i'm not entirely sure about plexiglass, but the plastic was be a bit of a problem with creases forming and getting ruined in winter climates, might want to check that out. that was part of the reason I went nc miata. also I wanted a RWD car that would be more rust resistant than older RWD cars and i'm a sucker for modern changes that probably don't really matter like throttle/clutch by wire

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

I sent him an offer for 4.8k But I doubt he will accept. I also found this. Looks to be pretty clean from the pictures http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/636298407/overview/

That NB1 seems like a good deal. I'd want to look under it, though.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Phone posted:

That NB1 seems like a good deal. I'd want to look under it, though.

It's also in MI. They don't require yearly inspections there. Should that be of concern? And should I just be looking for rust and things?

mkdnn02
Jan 26, 2004

Boogalo posted:

Screw miata prices. Last year it was valued less than 1k and I didn't have to pay car tax on it. This year its back up to 2800 and taxable. '94 with a torsen and 140k miles I paid 2900 for 5 years ago from a boat mechanic out in northern neck, VA.

Haha at the nnk that's my area. At any one time I do see a few for sale in the area.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What the hell is car tax?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

leica posted:

Yearly registration fee. Depending on the year it varies by engine size or by pollution generated. :britain:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

I've been mostly trying to avoid the NCs. I'm really not into the styling at all. And is 10k for a 20k mile NB really that overpriced? It doesn't seem much above KBB value. Should I even be considering KBB value or is that just for suckers?

Also where do you guys recommend looking besides craigslist?

KBB lists asking prices, not actual selling prices. Edmunds is more realistic in that respect, although people (both dealers and private parties) seem to ask way too much for Miatas.

Partial Octopus posted:

Rental reimbursement is, at least with my insurance, a paid option, so you'll only have it if you've added it to your policy (it's a couple bucks a month, IIRC.) I have it on my Winter car and not the Miata (because when the Miata's out the Winter car is the backup.)

If you don't mind me asking, how'd you total your car?

Partial Octopus posted:

It's also in MI. They don't require yearly inspections there. Should that be of concern? And should I just be looking for rust and things?

Well drive it, listen for any weird noises, vibration, etc. Underneath, look for obvious rust, but also check the bottom of the doors, the wheel wells, and pop the hood; look for rusty bolts or other components. I looked at a particularly tragic MSM before I found the one I finally bought; this guy's had rust bubbling through the trunk lid, all throughout the engine compartment, and the bottoms of the doors were both completely rusted through. It was horrifying. :smith:

leica posted:

Welcome to Obama's America! :smugdog:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thanks again for the advice.

I was driving down a road near my house and some one darted out from a side street behind an illegally parked truck and I t-boned them.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/5006601039.html Is this worth making an offer on? 6k miles on a 2002. Looks nice but the asking price is pretty high.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

leica posted:

Virginia's "Personal Property Tax" :smith:

quote:

How is my property tax calculated?
The current tax rate is $4.57 per $100 of assessed value. To compute the tax on an item assessed at $5,000, divide the assessed value by 100 and multiply by the tax rate:

($5,000 ÷ 100) x $4.57 = $228.50

Folks with new cars have nice big $500/year bills in addition to loan+insurance. Non-commercial vehicles are taxed at ~60% for the first 40k or something like that.

It's dumb.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is your area obsessed with low mileage or something? 6000 miles in 13 years is a whole lot of sitting and not being driven. Depending on how often they drove it the drives might even be too short to even warm up the engine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

http://altoona.craigslist.org/cto/5006601039.html Is this worth making an offer on? 6k miles on a 2002. Looks nice but the asking price is pretty high.

lol nope

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Is your area obsessed with low mileage or something? 6000 miles in 13 years is a whole lot of sitting and not being driven. Depending on how often they drove it the drives might even be too short to even warm up the engine.

Seems like thats all I'm getting. Either no miles for a ton of money or like some 200k mile rusted pos.

I'm probably going to just get an NC instead at this point.

Partial Octopus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 19, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Partial Octopus posted:

Yes...YES...give in to the dark side

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Partial Octopus posted:

Seems like thats all I'm getting. Either no miles for a ton of money or like some 200k mile rusted pos.

Honestly for that kind of money you're better off with an NC, I personally don't really like them, but I would buy one just for a power hard top alone.

No way I'd pay that much for an NB, these people are smoking crack.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
I tried replacing my shocks last night. Front shock lower bolt is frozen :gonk:

Will try more PB Blaster and torch later

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Invest in an electric impact. HF sells the corded ones cheap but they're kind big and clumsy, I recently got a 1/2" drive Ryobi cordless impact and it's the best tool I ever bought, makes suspension work a breeze.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Partial Octopus posted:

I'd stop looking for low mile Miatas (seems you've linked a few). If one comes up that's cheap, sure go for it. Generally they don't need a ton of work even with high miles. Owners always want a billion dollars for low mile cars because they think it makes it a collector's item or something. :wtc:

Buy a 5k Miata with a hard top and spend the rest on whatever you want. If you can't find one in your area then look south and make a trip. The only real deal breaker on Miatas is rocker rust, IMO (assuming it runs, shifts, etc) which you won't find in the south usually. Engines are ~$500-1000, transmissions anywhere from $100-500 for a 5 speed, so nothing is that expensive parts wise and not that difficult to do yourself if you're so inclined.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 19, 2015

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Larrymer posted:

I'd stop looking for low mile Miatas (seems you've linked a few). If one comes up that's cheap, sure go for it. Generally they don't need a ton of work even with high miles. Owners always want a billion dollars for low mile cars because they think it makes it a collector's item or something. :wtc:

Buy a 5k Miata with a hard top and spend the rest on whatever you want. If you can't find one in your area then look south and make a trip. The only real deal breaker on Miatas is rocker rust, IMO (assuming it runs, shifts, etc) which you won't find in the south usually. Engines are ~$500-1000, transmissions anywhere from $100-500 for a 5 speed, so nothing is that expensive parts wise and not that difficult to do yourself if you're so inclined.

So don't even worry about high milage? Just focus on body condition and rust?

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/5020251623.html

http://chambersburg.craigslist.org/cto/4954522241.html

http://pennstate.craigslist.org/cto/5019876437.html

:shrug:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I saw the second one you posted but I thought it looked beat as hell. Somehow the other two werent showing up when i searched mx5 or miata. The silver one looks great.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Partial Octopus posted:

So don't even worry about high milage? Just focus on body condition and rust?

Basically.

That silver one looks good. Try and get him down on price, don't haggle until you see the car but ask if they're flexible before you go.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Buy the glitter miata. :v:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

The silver miata is a Miata LS. Does that just mean it has LSD?

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I've got a 93 LE (that's the black/red leather NA with all factory options, bilsteins, BBSes, and some chassis stiffening work) with low miles. It was originally purchased by a family member around 2010 with 9k miles so it most definitely hadn't been driven much. He bought it, cleaned the poo poo out of it, changed all the fluids and the plugs. Between the two of us it now sits around 19k miles, hard often push it to redline miles. In fact the only time I take it out I flog it because it's not my DD and it's fun to flog.

It's had 0 problems other than the spark plug wires that went bad. I also put new tires on it just because they were so old.

Honestly I'm considering selling it and don't know what the market would bear. A low mileage LE has big draw to people who like the limited cars and it's in great shape, but hey, it's still just an old Miata. Currently I insure it for $10k and feel it'd be hard to replace at that price.

The same family member has purchased high mileage NAs and only had to do really basic maintenance on them. I'd wager a low mileage engine would be better at nearing the factory HP and might get better mileage but high mileage cars can be extremely dependable too. With low mileage cars you paying for the top's condition, lack of interior wear, all that. Just depends on how much the appearance of the car matters to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Partial Octopus posted:

The silver miata is a Miata LS. Does that just mean it has LSD?

Sport Brakes, 16" wheels, LSD, and Tan interior covers about 99% of what an NB LS usually is.