Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Preoptopus posted:

Pro tip, on slow days, a comfy creeper under a car is a great way to get a 20 min nap in. Another protip, dont wake up startled and hit your head.

This is what a knit cap 100% OSHA-legit PPE "Bump Cap" is for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I don't have a creeper but have one on my wish list.

Never saw the point before, but I now have a garage to work in which has a proper flat concrete floor and no space for a lift so I have tall axle stands.

Anybody hating on them has clearly never felt the pain in my shoulders after spent a long day working largely under a car that is on tall axle stands parked on top of cold concrete. Even using a camping mat and/or cardboard it still hurts. Maybe I'm just getting old :(

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.
I have this creeper

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200317495_200317495

I got it through my work - I forget exactly how much it was but I'm pretty sure I got it for under $100.

I sold one to a parking lot mechanic. This guy is 350+ lbs and works out of his car on asphalt, driveways, concrete, etc all day. No lifts. I sold it to him almost two years ago and it's still going strong. I used to warranty the plastic or the lovely Torin/Big red/whatever steel ones for him once a month. Casters broke, casters fell off, welds broke, etc. It rolls super nice with the big wheels and since they're in the corners they are away from your work area. I got pinched in the side by a caster on one of those lovely creepers. Never again!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm just an amateur, but I like the Duralast version of this. Very comfy.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I have a cheapo version of this http://www.autozone.com/creepers-and-carts/creeper-and-roller-seat/omega-6-wheel-powder-coat-finish-z-creeper/964657_0_0/

My garage has a concrete floor, so the small casters aren't a problem. I use the stool constantly, since most work on the Mini is down low.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
my wife got me this creeper for 2$ when the old bodyman from down the street passed away. I like the old wood style ones. I have always had one and they have always worked well on my concrete foor
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-Mac-Tools-Mechanics-Creeper-Floor-Roller-Wooden-Rare-Swirl-rollers-EVC-/131509324331

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

With a nice smooth floor this seams like a really cool gimmick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6Cq78zYKzs

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Anyone have a recommendation for an electric pressure washer? I know they're not as good as gas, but neither are my electric mower and weed eater but I do just fine with them.

Also, got my first set of Grey Pneumatic Duo Sockets. Haven't used them but they look nice! Only 5 more sets to buy!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
With electric pressure washers, unless you're willing to spend upwards of $750 (for a cheap one) you truly are better off with a gas-powered unit.

All consumer-grade electric pressure washers are both underpowered and use plastic pump housings, you'll be lucky to get a single season out of it before the housing cracks.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
My condo association bought the highest end Karcher electric and were pretty happy with it. It works great at cleaning sidewalks and concrete. Certainly not as good as a gas one, but way easier to store and maintain (just throw it in a closet). I think it was this model or one similar to it: http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-2000PSI-1-4GPM-Electric-Pressure/dp/B004P5POKM/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1431578731&sr=1-3

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
More creeper talk: I have a padded creeper, and use it on some jobs, mostly when I'm gonna be under for awhile (horizontal tool fetching). If it's an up and down job (Bolts from above! Bolts from below!) I'll ignore the creeper and unroll my carpet sample that I cut to fit between most wheels/ramps/stands. When I'm done, it's rolled up and shrink-wrap banded.

And yes, nap-time is allowed and is lovely.

Bonus points when it's chilly out.

When my precious roll gets too dirty I'll be finding another (free) one.

Hearing all this talk of crawling around on cardboard gives me the willies.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 14, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

fknlo posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an electric pressure washer? I know they're not as good as gas, but neither are my electric mower and weed eater but I do just fine with them.

Also, got my first set of Grey Pneumatic Duo Sockets. Haven't used them but they look nice! Only 5 more sets to buy!

I just bought this http://www.amazon.com/AR-AR383-Electric-Pressure-Washer/dp/B002Z8E52Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431582851&sr=8-1&keywords=ar+pressure+washer

And have been very happy with it so far. I pressure washed my back patio and walkways and I also bought a foam cannon attachment that works pretty well. It has the normal issues all electric pressure washers have, but for the price, size and ease of maintenance (i.e. not gas) it's been good so far.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Otteration posted:

More creeper talk: I have a padded creeper, and use it on some jobs, mostly when I'm gonna be under for awhile (horizontal tool fetching). If it's an up and down job (Bolts from above! Bolts from below!) I'll ignore the creeper and unroll my carpet sample that I cut to fit between most wheels/ramps/stands. When I'm done, it's rolled up and shrink-wrap banded.

And yes, nap-time is allowed and is lovely.

Bonus points when it's chilly out.

When my precious roll gets too dirty I'll be finding another (free) one.

Hearing all this talk of crawling around on cardboard gives me the willies.

I've never used anything but cold hard concrete and asphalt under me when working on a car, you goddamn nancies. :clint:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

My condo association bought the highest end Karcher electric and were pretty happy with it. It works great at cleaning sidewalks and concrete. Certainly not as good as a gas one, but way easier to store and maintain (just throw it in a closet). I think it was this model or one similar to it: http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-2000PSI-1-4GPM-Electric-Pressure/dp/B004P5POKM/ref=sr_1_3?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1431578731&sr=1-3

My dad bought one of these things, and it failed in under 20 hours of usage. he spent a bunch of time and money trying to repair it only to give up and throw it away, and trust me, my dad is not the type to give up repairing stuff.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never used anything but cold hard concrete and asphalt under me when working on a car, you goddamn nancies. :clint:

Look at Suzy Solidground over there, never been to the junkyard. :chord:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mmmmmmm, New tools.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Splizwarf posted:

Look at Suzy Solidground over there, never been to the junkyard. :chord:

Been to plenty of pick 'n' pulls, but now that I think of it, I've never pulled anything that required me to get under the car. Mostly fenders/doors/engine electronics.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

HotCanadianChick posted:

Now I'm thinking about which auto-inflating air mattress might fit under most cars.

http://www.sears.com/instabed-84001...3&mktRedirect=y ?

Gonna need a lift after all, I guess.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Today I pull into the shop and there is a 30 foot limo waiting for me. You see what you guys did with all your creeper chat!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Otteration posted:

Now I'm thinking about which auto-inflating air mattress might fit under most cars.

http://www.sears.com/instabed-84001...3&mktRedirect=y ?

Gonna need a lift after all, I guess.

Have a look at Thinsulate mats.

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Have a look at Thinsulate mats.

Thinsulate and cheap foam thermal mats are good and should be used always.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I know the forum wisdom for running automotive air tools is a 30 or more gallon compressor. My fiance wants to get into doing some furniture restoration and would like to run air sanders on the same rig.

Looking online, the sanders seem to use way more CFM than typical air wrenches and stuff, any idea what a good baseline compressor HP/capacity would be to run these types of tools?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

I know the forum wisdom for running automotive air tools is a 30 or more gallon compressor. My fiance wants to get into doing some furniture restoration and would like to run air sanders on the same rig.

Looking online, the sanders seem to use way more CFM than typical air wrenches and stuff, any idea what a good baseline compressor HP/capacity would be to run these types of tools?

What exact tools? More to the point how many CFM and to be used for how long at a time?

I can absolutely run a 30 gallon out of air with an automotive D/A sander at like 4 CFM when sanding large panels, but it's not really that big of a deal. Just wait a bit for compressor refresh.....it's not like I'm doing this for a living or anything.

The stuff she is using could be a lot more or less CFM and the usage pattern might be a lot different.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

PaintVagrant posted:

Well this is clearly the prime opportunity to buy the Biggest best compressor you can afford. Is it necessary, not now. But when you need it you will wish you had gotten a bigger one. Ask me how I know (Honda crank bolts)

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone have a good suggestion for a good cheap 3x rivet gun?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

I don't have a creeper but have one on my wish list.

Never saw the point before, but I now have a garage to work in which has a proper flat concrete floor and no space for a lift so I have tall axle stands.

Anybody hating on them has clearly never felt the pain in my shoulders after spent a long day working largely under a car that is on tall axle stands parked on top of cold concrete. Even using a camping mat and/or cardboard it still hurts. Maybe I'm just getting old :(

Get one with an adjustable headrest. You'll thank me later. I have a Snap-on one and it's overpriced poo poo. it's so low it bottoms out all the time and i've got pissed off and thrown it more times than i can remember. It's a totally hateful thing but it was so expensive i refuse to replace it, and the adjustable headrest means i like it just enough to keep it.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Well this is clearly the prime opportunity to buy the Biggest best compressor you can afford. Is it necessary, not now. But when you need it you will wish you had gotten a bigger one. Ask me how I know (Honda crank bolts)

While i definitely agree on getting the biggest compressor you can, Honda crank bolts are no problem with the holding tool and a big bar. (I've also done some with a 36" bar and a scaffold pole.)

I bought myself a new tool:

A mate of mine is also my Snap-on dealer, this is the latest model 1/2" electric impact, reposessed. 」480 instead of 」750. Happy belated birthday to me.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 17, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Motronic posted:

What exact tools? More to the point how many CFM and to be used for how long at a time?

I can absolutely run a 30 gallon out of air with an automotive D/A sander at like 4 CFM when sanding large panels, but it's not really that big of a deal. Just wait a bit for compressor refresh.....it's not like I'm doing this for a living or anything.

The stuff she is using could be a lot more or less CFM and the usage pattern might be a lot different.

I am not really sure. Some disc sanders I assume, and maybe some other minor woodworking tools. It's a hobby thing so having to wait for the compressor to refill the tank is fine I'd say.

My main fear was that sanders would suck up way more cfm than ratchets/etc and we would need a beefier compressor. I feel like between my automotive crap and her hobby crap we probably want to run enough tools that going pneumatic is the way to go.

I will read up on some of the HF sanders and stuff and see what sort of cfm they draw.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

While i definitely agree on getting the biggest compressor you can, Honda crank bolts are no problem with the holding tool and a big bar. (I've also done some with a 36" bar and a scaffold pole.)

That tool and a gently caress off long length of pipe was the only way I got it to come off. Until I worked at a dealer with a compressor the size of my childhood bedroom. I was mainly pointing out that if its for something the women/wife does as well, why not go for broke and get the biggest you can.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Mooseykins posted:

Get one with an adjustable headrest. You'll thank me later. I have a Snap-on one and it's overpriced poo poo. it's so low it bottoms out all the time and i've got pissed off and thrown it more times than i can remember. It's a totally hateful thing but it was so expensive i refuse to replace it, and the adjustable headrest means i like it just enough to keep it.

A mate of mine is also my Snap-on dealer, this is the latest model 1/2" electric impact, reposessed. 」480 instead of 」750. Happy belated birthday to me.

I always forgot how much the markup is for Snap On outside the US.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I mistook the charger for the battery and went "goddrat, son" before I figured it out. Nice buy, that thing is brutal.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Mooseykins posted:

drat you got that for a fuckin song!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

PaintVagrant posted:

I am not really sure. Some disc sanders I assume, and maybe some other minor woodworking tools. It's a hobby thing so having to wait for the compressor to refill the tank is fine I'd say.

My main fear was that sanders would suck up way more cfm than ratchets/etc and we would need a beefier compressor. I feel like between my automotive crap and her hobby crap we probably want to run enough tools that going pneumatic is the way to go.

I will read up on some of the HF sanders and stuff and see what sort of cfm they draw.

One thing to consider with wood work is oil in tool exhaust spraying on it. A inline dryer or a some rag over the exhaust may be a good idea. That said I'm coming from a manufacturing background. You may not need that in a home shop.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

SouthsideSaint posted:

Buy the biggest you can. If you are limited to 110v try to get a machine that will allow you to do 220v too. My machine I bought can use both 110 and 220, so once I get my future garage and house, ill be running it on 220. Its just an efficiency thing, and the motor wont work as hard on 2 legs as 1 leg.

Of course, if you have that luxury. If not, then make sure you get a good 110v machine.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I saw a man today who had a 60 gal compressor that went kaput so he just hooked a 80 gal compressor up to it. So he had like 140 gal total. Which seems like a lot to me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Running the motors on 110 really cuts their life, but if you don't have two legs available you don't have a choice. I need to find a nice craigslist compressor so I can ruin the paint on my miata.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If anyone is dying for a cheap flux core starter welder, HF just put theirs on sale for $100:

http://www.harborfreight.com/90-Amp...il_s1012_c2115a

Just don't use their wire and they work okay. Also keep the duty cycle down. When it starts splattering go pick up some lunch wile it cools off.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Debating grabbing one of those to throw in the truck for trackside repairs. I'm trying to figure out how many things 1. I would need to repair at the track to continue my weekend and 2. How may of those things I'd trust after welding them up with a HF MIG.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Welding is welding. It doesn't matter if you bought the fanciest Miller machine in the world, if the operator sucks, you will always have poo poo welds no matter the machine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Welding is welding. It doesn't matter if you bought the fanciest Miller machine in the world, if the operator sucks, you will always have poo poo welds no matter the machine.

Also if the machine sucks bad enough you will always have poo poo welds no matter the operator.

This machine is acceptable for small jobs. Slightly larger jobs with an operator who knows when it's starting to flail and needs to be given a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I got one of those for free and it works. Not well, but I built a work bench and an exhaust for my Chumpcar and both of those things are still in one piece.