Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

WrightOfWay posted:

Banagher is just a poo poo pilot in 3.1. His stats are a noticeable step down from Amuro, Kamille and Char and he has really low Newtype levels. Fortunately the Unicorn is one of the better reals but I definitely would rather put Kamille or Char in it. In 3.2 he's a fairly strong Newtype and actually has main character stats but suffers from grunts generally being a lot bulkier so he can't just Beam Magnum everything to death.

Yeah, like you say it's definitely noticeable. Amuro and Kamille can easily chain double murders together with the delta gundam for one turn grunt clears (energy allowing), Banagher consistently just misses it and Hathaway can't do it once the two piece of miracle damage boosts are gone. The PP and another 2 weapon upgrades should fix it for sure though, hell yea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Why even have playable Hathaway and that Z1 quote about Brigth facing the worst thing a fatehr could live through if you're not doing Hathaway's Flash?

Seriously, I'm still disappointed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Why even have playable Hathaway and that Z1 quote about Brigth facing the worst thing a fatehr could live through if you're not doing Hathaway's Flash?

Seriously, I'm still disappointed.

they might have had plans to do it but were unable to work it in

TheBystander
Apr 28, 2011
I'm not familiar with Hathaway's Flash. What happens to Hathaway or Bright in it?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

TheBystander posted:

I'm not familiar with Hathaway's Flash. What happens to Hathaway or Bright in it?

Hathaway joins a terrorist organization with a shiny new Gundam called Xi Gundam. Eventually he gets caught and sentenced to death via firing squad. Bright signs the death warrant, not knowing that it's his son he's condemning to death because Hathaway was going under an assumed name.

After Hathaway dies, Quess' Newtype ghost shows up to tell him that she never liked him that way and basically everything he did was pointless.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Pureauthor posted:

Hathaway joins a terrorist organization with a shiny new Gundam called Xi Gundam. Eventually he gets caught and sentenced to death via firing squad. Bright signs the death warrant, not knowing that it's his son he's condemning to death because Hathaway was going under an assumed name.

After Hathaway dies, Quess' Newtype ghost shows up to tell him that she never liked him that way and basically everything he did was pointless.

It is suggested that Bright found out immediately before the execution (like, minutes), but was either unable to stop it or unwilling to bend in his principles enough to.

He watched the execution and then immediately retired. He was pretty intensely depressed before Mirai and Cheimin (his other child) opened a restaurant and he pulled himself out of it, eventually. When The Edel Bernal taunted him about the worst thing that could happen to a father at the end of Z1, we tended to assume that this was it. I don't have the exact quote on hand.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Its pretty sad, the Xi Gundam is extremely rad and I'd just generally like more novelizations or manga to show up.

Come on, Gaia Gear even has its own theme song and it's extremely cool.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Pureauthor posted:

Yeah if Hathaway's Flash ever gets an animated adaptation hopefully it'll end differently cause that's got to be the single bleakest thing that's been set in UC

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Prism posted:

It is suggested that Bright found out immediately before the execution (like, minutes), but was either unable to stop it or unwilling to bend in his principles enough to.

He watched the execution and then immediately retired. He was pretty intensely depressed before Mirai and Cheimin (his other child) opened a restaurant and he pulled himself out of it, eventually. When The Edel Bernal taunted him about the worst thing that could happen to a father at the end of Z1, we tended to assume that this was it. I don't have the exact quote on hand.
yeah a lot of the SRW foreshadowing is THE WORST DESPAIR HUMANITY WILL EVER EXPERIENCE and it all just amounts to 'this is a badder villain,' but this is the one time it's pretty much right on the money.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah if Hathaway's Flash ever gets an animated adaptation hopefully it'll end differently cause that's got to be the single bleakest thing that's been set in UC

No man, that's what makes it great! The perfect gut punch to follow Unicorn. Set up Hathaway as a classic Gundam hero, make people love him... And then destroy it all. :unsmigghh:

E: I'd be okay with a more positive version in SRW though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The major problem with doing Hathaway's Flash is that it is actually a followup to Beltorchika's Children.

One of the major changes there is that Hathaway kills Quess and a big portion of what he does and his responses and guilt are based off the fact he killed her. You can kinda use Chen in place of that but by and large it wouldn't have the same impact.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem with doing Hathaway's Flash is that it is actually a followup to Beltorchika's Children.

One of the major changes there is that Hathaway kills Quess and a big portion of what he does and his responses and guilt are based off the fact he killed her. You can kinda use Chen in place of that but by and large it wouldn't have the same impact.

Which means they'd need to change things anyways, so why not?

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

MonsieurChoc posted:

No man, that's what makes it great! The perfect gut punch to follow Unicorn. Set up Hathaway as a classic Gundam hero, make people love him... And then destroy it all. :unsmigghh:

E: I'd be okay with a more positive version in SRW though.

i mean for one thing they couldnt exactly just kill off hathaway like that, it's his story

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Gyra_Solune posted:

i mean for one thing they couldnt exactly just kill off hathaway like that, it's his story

They could have him turn Boss Character for a stage and then you save him from the firing squad because this is Super Robot Wars, dammit!

But any actual animated adaptation is going to keep Hathaway dying pointlessly. I mean, they kept the Marida fridging in Unicorn.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

They could have him turn Boss Character for a stage and then you save him from the firing squad because this is Super Robot Wars, dammit!

But any actual animated adaptation is going to keep Hathaway dying pointlessly. I mean, they kept the Marida fridging in Unicorn.

Yes, but killing off the brainwashed female enemy soldier with some sort of connection to the male hero so he feels bad is a gundam tradition. Killing off the hero himself is not.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Hellioning posted:

Yes, but killing off the brainwashed female enemy soldier with some sort of connection to the male hero so he feels bad is a gundam tradition. Killing off the hero himself is not.

Amuro? I know one time doesn't make a tradition and Kira didn't stay dead, Bernie wasn't a hero and Kamille got better, but he's the Gundam guy.

For Hathaway's Flash I'm pretty sure if Bright actually ever saw Hathaway in terrorist mode in person he'd go "oh that's my son what the hell are you doing" which sort of precludes that from happening. Hathaway could still go in the terrorist direction with Quess alive because hey she liked Char and that's what he was, right???? If Hathaway models himself after Char then Quess will surely come back to him....

He could probably just do a Wu Fei and be a guy you fight for one stage to slap some sense into him. I don't think Hathaway's Flash could be important enough to get the full Zero Requiem treatment, but I can see either stopping the execution or someone bailing Mufti out after a couple of stages without him and him calling himself Hathaway again being a thing.

The guy that does the Nu/all of the really good Gundam animations, could have a field day with the Xi so I hope it shows up sometime. I like the Messer and Gustav Karl too and you can even go Penelope > Xi upgrade route.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
I just got set to replay Z3:1 from the start after giving it up last year from lack of time. Got up to mission 8 with no issues when suddenly units start dropping like flies from being swarmed by Firebugs and Gauron's rear end in a top hat mercenaries. I lost Chirico(twice), the Trider shuttle, and Emma.

Gauron himself is no problem, actually, it's just that the rest of his army have enragingly high hit and dodge rates, so it's just a pain to deal with them while keeping anybody from dying. Does anybody else who played the mission have any advice for it besides being ultra careful about where I put my units and who I put there?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

quantumavenger posted:

I just got set to replay Z3:1 from the start after giving it up last year from lack of time. Got up to mission 8 with no issues when suddenly units start dropping like flies from being swarmed by Firebugs and Gauron's rear end in a top hat mercenaries. I lost Chirico(twice), the Trider shuttle, and Emma.

Gauron himself is no problem, actually, it's just that the rest of his army have enragingly high hit and dodge rates, so it's just a pain to deal with them while keeping anybody from dying. Does anybody else who played the mission have any advice for it besides being ultra careful about where I put my units and who I put there?

IIRC many (all?) Firebugs have Jamming, which gives +10% to the final hit and evade values to their allies. They tend to be a lot easier once you cut through a few of them, and they're a lot more threatening than generic enemy Arm Slaves. I can't remember if their electrified knife also adds Mobility Down but I feel it might.

Make them priority targets, and use SCs if you have to.

Edit: I can't remember if this stage has battleships, but if so enemy battleships in Z3 have a new ability. It's 指揮系統中枢 (Command System Center, Chain of Command Core, that kind of thing). Living battleships add hit and evade to all enemy units, regardless of positioning, as long as they're alive; the bonus is the number of enemy units (not squads, units) on the field /5. So if there are 20 enemy units, everyone gets +4% hit/evade... per battleship with this ability, as it stacks.

Kill battleships if hitting is a problem. They're more than just HP sponges now, especially early on.

Prism fucked around with this message at 13:17 on May 17, 2015

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That skill is only in 3.2. For the map, just prioritize the Firebugs and keep focus up. Don't be afraid to use the Macross Quarter aggressively too. Mazinger Z is also basically invincible against swarms of weak enemies so letting it take the lead is a good idea.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WrightOfWay posted:

That skill is only in 3.2. For the map, just prioritize the Firebugs and keep focus up. Don't be afraid to use the Macross Quarter aggressively too. Mazinger Z is also basically invincible against swarms of weak enemies so letting it take the lead is a good idea.

Firebugs have a nasty status effect on their daggers that will wreck super robots with consistent hits, making them not a particularly great cure-all for that particular situation. I forget if Z3-1's version is EN Drain or Will Down.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

WrightOfWay posted:

Then Akurasu can see the future, because I copied the kanji off their 3.1 list and it's been in that file since at least April 2014, though it didn't have a description then.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Prism posted:

Then Akurasu can see the future, because I copied the kanji off their 3.1 list and it's been in that file since at least April 2014, though it didn't have a description then.

Alternatively, it was in the games files in 3.1, just not available. Happens fairly often.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah FIrebugs are loving awful. They were awful to deal with in Z2, especially when hanging out with Marylin too.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hellioning posted:

Alternatively, it was in the games files in 3.1, just not available. Happens fairly often.

It did have the Enemy Battleships tag on 'who has it'. I'd check but I don't have my copy of 3.1 on hand; I could have sworn it was a thing even back then though.

Firebugs are still awful though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So question, I was looking at games I don't really want anymore, and one of them was the Endless Frontier game that got translated. I looked up what it was going for on Ebay, and people have it listed for eighty, ninety, way more than I thought a DS game would. Is it really that rare, and would selling it for that amount be possible?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

So question, I was looking at games I don't really want anymore, and one of them was the Endless Frontier game that got translated. I looked up what it was going for on Ebay, and people have it listed for eighty, ninety, way more than I thought a DS game would. Is it really that rare, and would selling it for that amount be possible?

It probably didn't get a very big print run being the niche title it was.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

These made me laugh.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So in Saisei-Hen on the Lorelei stage, if she leaves instead of blowing up after you beat her in the duel, you did the first step to unlocking her correctly, right?

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011
That's the way it worked for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The next SRW is apparently for 3DS. It's being made by the B-team again, it seems.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Policenaut posted:

The next SRW is apparently for 3DS. It's being made by the B-team again, it seems.

I find B-team's games to be more out there and creative than the main team.

If it means less UC Gundam and more Heroman I am down with that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think that's that's the Unicorn in the lower left corner.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Kinda looks like Blade in the middle.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Policenaut posted:

It was either this or OG, so I guess OG will be next year.

Looking forward to seeing what crazy cast list they come up with this time and then never getting to play it because of region locking.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think it might have SKL and regular Mazinger

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nadesico, Dunbine (or one of the Aura Battlers), what looks like Raijin-oh, very very clearly Mazinkaiser SKL...

Edit: loving gently caress is that loving Macross Frontier in the front?

Edit: I think one of those might be an AGE Gundam.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Could any silhouette be the G-Self?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MarsDragon posted:

It was either this or OG, so I guess OG will be next year.

Looking forward to seeing what crazy cast list they come up with this time and then never getting to play it because of region locking.

there was a proper workaround, but Nintendo seems to have patched it out like a bunch of assholes(really don't understand why they even bother doing region locking in the first place, it's just a grade A dick move), and from me searching around the last couple of minutes I have yet to find a new workaround

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: loving gently caress is that loving Macross Frontier in the front?
It looks like it's from Do You Remember Love, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd love to see if they can top Miku somehow.

• Locked thread