Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

What is waffle maker in German? I will never start a band because I'm not a musician, but I keep of list of potential names for one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Das Waffeleisen :black101:

Bonus Dutch implication: Waffel is a crude worth for mouth, and eisen are demands.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WGT already owns before it even had the chance to actually start. I just found out there's gonna be a warm-up party (free for all festivalgoers, it looks like) featuring Architect live tonight :woop:

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 21, 2015

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Seeing Laibach live is probably the closest thing I'll ever have to a spiritual experience. The show was just excellent; will be spending too much money on their IndieGoGo campaign to support them.

It was also catastrophically under-attended; they'll never come back to Indianapolis.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 21, 2015

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Debating travelling to Chicago to see PWEI

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

Debating travelling to Chicago to see PWEI

A friend saw them and said they were pretty great if that helps.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Architect is really good, as is absinth in cocktails.

Tonight: Deine Lakaien, Eisbrecher and :spooky::drac:Blutengel:drac::spooky:

Oh and also Lame Immortelle which I will watch very disapprovingly from afar while drinking massive amounts of beer I guess.

Or maybe I'll spend that time productively trying to find a new wallet.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Puntification posted:

A friend saw them and said they were pretty great if that helps.
Yeah. Even though it's not "really" PWEI besides Graham Crabb, the line-up they do have is fantastic.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

WGT diary #3:

Thomas Rainer is a douche who constantly looks like he's desperately trying to not poo poo his pants. Also L'Âme Immortelle is super boring live and otherwise

Blutengel wasted no time at all with ballads no one wants to hear anyway and just played a kickass 17-song set of about half new stuff and half older tracks. Got Lucifer live, my life is p. much complete now. Chris Pohl, Ulrike Goldmann and Blutengel own and kick rear end :spooky:

Deine Lakaien was good, Veljanov is an incredible singer and their live sound had something Laibachian to it. Their three encore tracks were just kind of incomprehensible and overly long, though, and no one in the audience seemed to like that final part of their set at all?

Eisbrecher is a loving amazing live band but this was the third time I've seen them live and the third time I've noticed literally no one in the audience does anything apart from clapping and singing along. The band is heavy as gently caress, where's all the action? Where are the moshpits? That's never been a problem with at least some contemporaries, like OOMPH!. Also if Eisbrecher could finally drop Miststück that would be swell (but I guess that's never gonna happen)

Tomorrow: gonna catch at least half of Youth Code's set, then haul rear end to the other side of the city for Megaherz and Samsas Traum. Hoping for a better audience there than with Eisbrecher.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Lucifer live sounds hilariously amazing.

That recent IDUD podcast with the guys arguing over whether Blutengel are great or garbage was pretty entertaining.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

That recent IDUD podcast with the guys arguing over whether Blutengel are great or garbage was pretty entertaining.

Had the chance to see them live years ago. A friend and I dutifully stood in the crowd, waiting to see what all the fuss about. They came on stage to some ominous music and then about five seconds later a cheesy beat started up and suddenly there were semi-naked spooky vampire girls onstage. I think they were wearing cloaks over bikinis or something? We left before the first chorus, laughing so hard it hurt.

Thing is I like a couple of their songs, and some of the music is super catchy but the imagery and the whole spooky vampire schtick is really Not My Thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Chris Pohl is super hot and I want to make the sex.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Lucifer live sounds hilariously amazing.

I'm listening and just burst out laughing at the "WE ARE THE VAMPIRES. WE MUST DRINK BLOOD" thing at 13:00 about Blutengel being cheesy and too literal about the vampire thing.

He's totally right and I can see why that'd turn people off. But for me that's why it's entertaining. The word is ... bathos. Overly sentimentalist drama contrasting with the mundane and ordinary. So an example from a Blutengel song would be someone being lonely at the goth club when loving VAMPIRES fly through the window to a cheesy techno beat. And that's hilarious. Like italo-disco which I love. Plus it's Germans doing it so it's extremely blunt and literal. And it's not bad from a technical or songwriting aspect.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 23, 2015

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Blunt is half of their band's name, if they were subtle that'd just seem wrong somehow.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Omi-Polari posted:

I'm listening and just burst out laughing at the "WE ARE THE VAMPIRES. WE MUST DRINK BLOOD" thing at 13:00 about Blutengel being cheesy and too literal about the vampire thing.

He's totally right and I can see why that'd turn people off. But for me that's why it's entertaining. The word is ... bathos. Overly sentimentalist drama contrasting with the mundane and ordinary. So an example from a Blutengel song would be someone being lonely at the goth club when loving VAMPIRES fly through the window to a cheesy techno beat. And that's hilarious. Like italo-disco which I love. Plus it's Germans doing it so it's extremely blunt and literal. And it's not bad from a technical or songwriting aspect.

My favorite part is Alex going after the Sisters of Mercy on the same grounds Bruce is arguing that Blutengel is crap on.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hey now...

Hey now now

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Laibach in Denver tonight! :woop:

Also ministry. And.... Sixxis???? They sound like the Guy Fieri of guitar industrial.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

My favorite part is Alex going after the Sisters of Mercy on the same grounds Bruce is arguing that Blutengel is crap on.
Now that you mention it, the new Blutengel didn't really stand out to me, so I went and re-listened to it again after reading this thread and there's a loooot of Sisters of Mercy homages in it.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Laibach puts on the best goddamn show.

Also look at what I found:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I want it

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Did Laibach play the Edvard Grieg thing? Please describe, in detail, how much it blew your loving mind and made you poo poo your pants (100 words).

WGT diary #4

Well, that's done with for this year.

Saturday: Youth Code really was excellent, what a chaotic energy on stage! Loved how they really filled that huge main stage even with just two people and no props to speak of. Also Sara spitting in the air and catching / punching it certainly was an, uh, interesting thing she did several times. Was really bummed I only had time to see about 30 minutes of their set.

In the end, though, I think skipping the rest of Youth Code's set for Megaherz was a good move because god dang that was a good show that I'd been waiting to see for like ten years? The audience was better than with Eisbrecher and the sound was excellent, if too loud (my right ear hurt slightly despite wearing my good earplugs, I feel really sorry for everyone who didn't bring theirs). I think Eisbrecher is the better band nowadays, but Megaherz might've actually put on a slightly better show, with the enthusiastic audience playing a no small part.

Wanted to see Samsas Traum after Megaherz but the air in that venue was so unbelievably tropical that I didn't really want to stay anymore.

Sunday: Nothing particularly interesting on the music side so I just drank beer with a fellow exchange student

Monday: I had absolutely no idea what Sea + Air was about and thus also no expectations but drat that was excellent as gently caress. A for me totally unknown band actually had me moved to tears during their last song. Maybe it says something that after the song ended, the band left the stage and an outro thing played, there was nothing but silence for a good three minutes, after which the audience exploded. Really excellent, someone here who appreciates minimal indie folk pop stuff might get a kick out of it.

Die Kammer was alright and the audience seemed to love them, but that kind of music just isn't my thing at all.

QNTAL was 100 % perfect. Fact.

The Schauspielhaus (a big ol' theatre) was a wonderful venue for this kind of music, some of the best use of light and (very liberal amounts of) smoke I've probably ever seen. Absolutely beautiful, especially during Sea + Air and QNTAL.

I have to say WGT has to be one of the best festivals, if not THE best one, in the world, at least in terms of organization alone. Everything works flawlessly and there's so much stuff to do and see that I think you could easily spend the entire festival without seeing a single band and still have a splendid time and feel like you've gotten your money's worth. Special mentions go to the fact that the ticket includes public transportation for the entire festival and to how they control the flow of people by some clever booking and scheduling trickery and thus ensure no venue is ever too full, at least from what I've seen. It's a masterclass in how to organize a festival.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 26, 2015

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've always wondered - how do you pronounce QNTAL? Because saying "oval office-al" sounds kinda wrong...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've always wondered - how do you pronounce QNTAL? Because saying "oval office-al" sounds kinda wrong...

I've always thought "kin-tahl".

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I have it on good authority (that is, Syrah said the name a couple of times) that it is /kn tɑl/, with no vowel sound between q and n :)

The German wiki says it's /kɑn tɑl/, though.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Did Laibach play the Edvard Grieg thing? Please describe, in detail, how much it blew your loving mind and made you poo poo your pants (100 words).

My wife was busy loving Around before the show and we were running a bit late. I warned her that if we missed Laibach I would poo poo myself blind.

We made it just as they were starting, and the opening overture (from Volkswagner?) was amazing. Their entire set was fantastic, but almost everything was new Laibach. We went nuts for B Maschina and Tanz Mit Laibach and people were -- in a fit of nostalgia, I'm guessing -- moshing to Laibach.

• Intro
  • America - this was pretty great and confused the gently caress out of people who were just there to see Ministry.
  • Walk with Me
  • The Whistleblowers
  • Resistance Is Futile
  • Bossanova - One of my personal favorites. Mina Spiler has a huge stage presence that worked really well during this song.
  • B Mashina
  • Ballad of a Thin Man - this had a really neat viz attached to it that reminded me of Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues
  • See that my Grave is Kept Clean
  • Tanz Mit Laibach
  • Leben heißt Leben

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

dmboogie posted:

VNV Nation's Resonance album is out, consisting of... symphonic remixes of previous VNV songs?

I'm a huge VNV fanboy, and even I found it hard to listen to. The orchestration is perfectly nice, but man do Ronan's vocals not work in that environment. Further is one of my favorite songs, period, and its arrangement on the album just completely paled in comparison to the original, or even the Lifeforce cover.

Yeah, I've often thought how much better VNV would be without the vocal tracks, and they go and do the opposite :mad:

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
Looks like I'm going with a friend to the KMFDM show in Indy. What should I expect as far as the setlist goes?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

a retard posted:

Looks like I'm going with a friend to the KMFDM show in Indy. What should I expect as far as the setlist goes?

I've clearly got to get my SongKick updated since I had no idea they were coming to town! Now to see if I can work out the scheduling...

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

boo_radley posted:

My wife was busy loving Around before the show and we were running a bit late. I warned her that if we missed Laibach I would poo poo myself blind.

We made it just as they were starting, and the opening overture (from Volkswagner?) was amazing. Their entire set was fantastic, but almost everything was new Laibach. We went nuts for B Maschina and Tanz Mit Laibach and people were -- in a fit of nostalgia, I'm guessing -- moshing to Laibach.

• Intro
  • America - this was pretty great and confused the gently caress out of people who were just there to see Ministry.
  • Walk with Me
  • The Whistleblowers
  • Resistance Is Futile
  • Bossanova - One of my personal favorites. Mina Spiler has a huge stage presence that worked really well during this song.
  • B Mashina
  • Ballad of a Thin Man - this had a really neat viz attached to it that reminded me of Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues
  • See that my Grave is Kept Clean
  • Tanz Mit Laibach
  • Leben heißt Leben

Was the "intro" (hey man it's like 20 minutes) this? It's not from Volkswagner, it's a completely new thing based on Edvard Grieg's unfinished opera. Also, every minute of it loving owns both visually and aurally. I really hope they release some sort of official video or even a DVD with that thing on it, because it's incredible.

And yes, Mina Špiler really is fantastic, she's probably one of my favorite singers / live performers at the moment.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Somehow Zombie Girl is still a thing.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
My new EP Post Brimstone is finally coming out this month! After some old label hardships and dealing with that I'll be releasing a synthpop album with AnalogueTrash Records.
The entire EP is kind of low key and mellow with a slower BPM. I'm not fighting any establishments on this one.
As always, I'm excited to see what you guys think about the new single from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scOcrp08TwM

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Laibach offers you a hoodie:

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

The new High-Functioning Flesh is good, reaaaaal good.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

ohrwurm posted:

The new High-Functioning Flesh is good, reaaaaal good.

I dunno man, this review seems skeptical, to say the least:

http://mycathatesyourmusic.tumblr.com/post/120109380872/high-functioning-flesh-definite-structures

(Album is very good and awesome)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really want them to make a "JE SUIS LAIBACH" t-shirt. I'd buy that faster than immediately.

Konstruct posted:

My new EP Post Brimstone is finally coming out this month! After some old label hardships and dealing with that I'll be releasing a synthpop album with AnalogueTrash Records.
The entire EP is kind of low key and mellow with a slower BPM. I'm not fighting any establishments on this one.
As always, I'm excited to see what you guys think about the new single from it.
:woop:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

a retard posted:

It's usually about 1/3 old KMFDM, 1/3 nu-KMFDM, and 1/3 new release. Which, given the quality of "Our Time Will Come," isn't going to be especially good. The last few times I've seen them, they did 'Drug Against War' as an encore.

They're still a fun group to see live, and they put on a good show -- definitely pander to the audience (mostly diehard fans).

I'll probably be at the Indy and the Cincinnati shows. CHANT is a great opener and the two guys in it are super gracious and awesome.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Last time we posted our album here it got a pretty good response... and our newest just came out today.

Our 5th album 'TIMESHIFT' is out on Artoffact Records, and I think if you're into the weirder branches of industrial then you'll find it a treat.
We'll also be playing Terminus next month and hope to spot a goon or two there!

https://volt9000.bandcamp.com/album/timeshift

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Any Toronto shows in the works? Too good for Aftermath? :D

(I still haven't bought tickets, but I think I will now.)

Will check out your album soon. Still listen to Conopoly.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

The Cleaner posted:

Last time we posted our album here it got a pretty good response... and our newest just came out today.

Our 5th album 'TIMESHIFT' is out on Artoffact Records, and I think if you're into the weirder branches of industrial then you'll find it a treat.
We'll also be playing Terminus next month and hope to spot a goon or two there!

https://volt9000.bandcamp.com/album/timeshift

Fantastic album, I can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

teethgrinder posted:

Any Toronto shows in the works? Too good for Aftermath? :D

Dunno if it's some secret but the organizer for Aftermath wanted all new bands this year. And we played it last year.

Konstruct posted:

Fantastic album, I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks alot man. Glad you're digging it.