Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Inverness posted:

I'm not even going to play this on release. I still haven't finished Pillars of Eternity, GTA 5, or the Witcher 2 game that I actually want to import into W3.

On that note, is there a save game editor I can use for W2? My second playthrough, the one I want to import into W3, is just at the beginning of Act 3.

I'd rather edit my first playthrough to have the choices I want than try to finish the second one while remembering how to not get raped in combat or by that loving dragon fight QTE bullshit.

Act 3 is really short compared to the other two. Poopsock your way to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm pretty sure the "unpredictable combat" is just people not noticing that they messed up the timing on the combos, so they expect the next part of the combo but instead get a clunky start to a new combo. The timing window could really stand to be loosened up, but everything is perfectly predictable and smooth (except for the lunges sometimes because of the lovely targeting system).

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

I'm pretty sure the "unpredictable combat" is just people not noticing that they messed up the timing on the combos, so they expect the next part of the combo but instead get a clunky start to a new combo. The timing window could really stand to be loosened up, but everything is perfectly predictable and smooth (except for the lunges sometimes because of the lovely targeting system).
My issue is generally pressing a button and it takes a while for the attack animation to start and finish and because the enemy was too far away I didnt do poo poo except for get my rear end kicked by someone "stabbing me in the back".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

My issue is generally pressing a button and it takes a while for the attack animation to start and finish and because the enemy was too far away I didnt do poo poo except for get my rear end kicked by someone "stabbing me in the back".

ABC: Always Be Rolling

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be such a huge nerd that I will go to bed early, wake up at 2 AM when the game is supposed to be unlocked and (hopefully) play the game until it's time to go to work. :v:

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I'm going to be such a huge nerd that I will go to bed early, wake up at 2 AM when the game is supposed to be unlocked and (hopefully) play the game until it's time to go to work. :v:

It's 2AM.
gently caress you Galaxy Client.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It unlocks at 4 pm over on west coast NA. west coast best coast.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So this downgrading stuff. Are some people upset because they think they're being lied to and the game won't look as good as promised or do they think the game actually looks bad. Because I can't believe my eyes when I watch some of these videos. Hell my wife, who never thinks anything looks good, thought one of the screen shots was a painting.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Act 3 is really short compared to the other two. Poopsock your way to victory.
Yeah this would be my second time playing through Act 3, but I haven't played in over a year so I'd be really lovely at the game and would rather just move straight to TW3 if possible.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

So this downgrading stuff. Are some people upset because they think they're being lied to and the game won't look as good as promised or do they think the game actually looks bad. Because I can't believe my eyes when I watch some of these videos. Hell my wife, who never thinks anything looks good, thought one of the screen shots was a painting.

From the actual gameplay videos ive seen this is one of the best looking games ive seen in a long time, so i have no idea what the people complaining about the graphics are smoking.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zasze posted:

From the actual gameplay videos ive seen this is one of the best looking games ive seen in a long time, so i have no idea what the people complaining about the graphics are smoking.

"BUT THEY COULD BE BETTER!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

The 2013 trailers looked significantly better and that's causing quite a stir amongst certain PC gamers who still don't grasp what "advertising" is, or the perils thereof, even though the advertisers totally pinky-swore that those early graphics were the real deal.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Schlesische posted:

"BUT THEY COULD BE BETTER!"

They could be mega textures.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

It isn't the combos. It's the initial attack that tends to vary based on distance or orientation, and sometimes the auto-targeting gets finicky and picks someone you didn't want to attack and carries you in a direction you didn't want to go. It's not make or break, I just don't like the 'dynamic' combat, but I do like the tools/skills interaction, so it's fine. It just means I shy away from the hack-n-slash and lean more on signs and gadgets, which in the bigger picture is what I would probably want to do anyway. I'm just saying that if I had my druthers, I would have preferred weapon combat that is static, like the Souls games, or maybe Dragon's Dogma since that has pacing more in line with The Witcher.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 18, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Are there any time limits on quests that we know about or can you purely go by your own pace?

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

The 2013 trailers looked significantly better and that's causing quite a stir amongst certain PC gamers who still don't grasp what "advertising" is, or the perils thereof, even though the advertisers totally pinky-swore that those early graphics were the real deal.

It's pretty much text-book gamer entitlement. Those people feel that they're entitled to receive the CGI graphics demoed in 2013 as if it was some sort of a legally-binding promise (note the prevalent use of "promise" by these people) or a sacred oath, and somehow CDPR have "scammed" them even though the game is not out yet and they've clearly demoed what the final game looks like.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Karrahad posted:

It's pretty much text-book gamer entitlement. Those people feel that they're entitled to receive the CGI graphics demoed in 2013 as if it was some sort of a legally-binding promise (note the prevalent use of "promise" by these people) or a sacred oath, and somehow CDPR have "scammed" them even though the game is not out yet and they've clearly demoed what the final game looks like.

Entitlement! Bootstraps! Welfare queens! Dude, I think it's more that people would like it of the lovely decisions console makers made didn't impact what they got on the PC.

But no, that's a good looking game

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
Just a reminder for the shills out there:

Utnayan posted:

That kid took some of his money and bought a game called Alien Colonial marines.

Why?

Because I was sitting there watching that movie with him and he loved the thing. His favorite part was when they set up the automatic machine guns and they went off and he knew when the guns were going off by looking at the counter tick down.

Aliens obviously.

He spent the money he got from this very site to buy that game. It was a horrid broken mess as we all know. And he wanted to buy it and I insisted that I do it for him and he insisted no, he was going to buy it because there were great internet people that helped him and it he wanted to let them know he had fun and spent that 40 bucks wisely so I made him a steam account, he downloaded it, and I bought him a nice gaming laopop to play it on since he was in his bed.

The game crashed constantly. Completely bug ridden as I found out later, and then knowing later through my contacts that the company... gently caress it.

This kid looks up to me and says, "This game doesn't work that well......" I tried to fix the computer, over and over, I gave him 5 laptops, nothing changed it. He said, "The movie was better I think".... And All I could think of, was that gently caress, ********* covering his rear end while he was being sued by ******** for 3rd party, yes.... what a mother loving bastard.

But those ads were awesome. You looked at the screen on the TV and you can sucker those casuals into buying your product or those moms and dads without thinking twice.

9 weeks later, that kid died.

You can see from why I am so adamant about being ethical when it comes to these games? Honeslty, no internet poo poo, have you ever had to explain to a kid that had some funds to spend to help him out and make him smile, and loved a game that oh well, "Those publishers suck I guess, lets go call it a life!"

Yeah some may think I am nuts. How about owning up to your product and not being an unethical gently caress. Has that ever once entered some minds.

Witcher 3 will be fine. What got me was the usual defense of obvious bullshit deflection.

Let me clue you in developers. We don't owe you poo poo. We bought your product, and sometimes off false promises and unfinished product. The hell you loving say we are entitled for feeding YOUR family. Get off your loving high horses and realize that false advertising is bullshit, and all your viral garbage will not make a few decent people go away.

Doesn't matter to you. You made your cash.
Hope that CDPR money helps you sleep at night. RIP Cancerkid

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

iGestalt posted:

From what I know, they can't. Or rather, it's never been tried. I think they said it would be too unstable or the effect would be different on a woman than a man? I'd assume it might boil down to "Yes, but men are dumb"

This is mentioned in the books when Ciri is training to become a Witcher. It's not just the mutagens and Trial of the Grasses. There's a diet of specially prepared fungi and such that hugely affect the body's hormonal balance. Hormones are supposed to have a different balance in men and women, obviously. The Witchers didn't think of that, and they were having Ciri on that until Triss noticed and threw an absolute shitfit.

It's a good guess that testosterone levels are being manipulated, as Triss realised something was wrong when she saw Ciri naked when having her try on a dress.

As for the Trial of the Grasses, they indeed can't. The Witchers don't understand parts of the process (they just know the basics, like the diet), and if I recall correctly it also needs a sorcerer present to guide the mutations. And the current Witchers aren't keen on the idea of entrusting anyone else with the mutagens and Witcher secrets.

I don't remember, but I think the idea was that Triss would help make Ciri a real Witcher, but then she threw that shitfit.

Another fun fact: Ciri can't make signs. That's another reason why they called Triss to help. Turned out that the reason is that she was a Source and was too unstable without magic training to be able to use signs. Signs are supposed to be really, really easy to use, and that's why Witchers use them.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Entitlement! Bootstraps! Welfare queens! Dude, I think it's more that people would like it of the lovely decisions console makers made didn't impact what they got on the PC.

You sound bitter. How did you plan on playing this prerendered video from 2013?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Why do people in Games keep saying the word entitled/entitement as a negative thing when they really, really do not get what it means and how complaining that something doesn't look as advertised, while possibly retarded, is not entitlement in any negative sense.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It totally has nothing to do with scaling and optimising, no sir.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Why do people in Games keep saying the word entitled/entitement as a negative thing when they really, really do not get what it means and how complaining that something doesn't look as advertised, while possibly retarded, is not entitlement in any negative sense.

It sounds entitled (and many of the arguments are very entitled).
It's not inherently entitled, it's just that a lot of the people making the arguments are making them from a personal place where it's "I GAVE YOU $50 DOLLARS AND YOU'RE REDUCING THE GRAPHICAL FIDELITY OF THE GAME BY 5%!!! GIVE ME BACK MY 5%".
There are plenty good reasons as to why they downgraded that aren't "consoles" or "preorder bait" (although those two are very powerful reasons, no doubt).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 18, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Since some people were talking about Triss creeping on Geralt last thread, I thought I'd remind everyone that in the books she is supposed to have some animal magnetism towards witchers and practically orgasms at a light touch from Geralt. I think her behavior in the games is a little more subdued given the character flaws a certain old Polish horndog gave her.

What I really mean is - don't feel guilty if more than one sorceress requires your services during the game. They're all 100 year old hags under the skin anyway.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Also during the demo they were saying these is what the game will look like on PC

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

If I could empty quote this I would.

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-insider-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

Unsourced, but food for thought all the same. I just think if you know it won't look a certain way in the end, don't advertise bullshit. Just because it's how things are done doesn't make it cool.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If I could empty quote this I would.

http://whatifgaming.com/developer-insider-the-witcher-3-was-downgraded-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

Unsourced, but food for thought all the same. I just think if you know it won't look a certain way in the end, don't advertise bullshit.

Pretty sure that article is bullshit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

iGestalt posted:

Pretty sure that article is bullshit.

quote:

We here at WhatIfGaming do not need publicity. Game developers need our publicity.

If irrelevance had a coat of arms this would be in gilt script across the bottom.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Because people are whining about a downgrade that didn't happen instead of discussing the ethics of marketing a work-in-progress videogame project with prendered graphics?

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

everyone knows igni can't melt steel beams guys

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We all know what the game is going to look like in advance of it coming out, so we can make our own personal informed decisions on whether or not to buy it. All the hand-wringing and shitposting about the graphics in this game is completely unreal.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

^^^It does seem like it's worse than usual. I can only hope that people find something else to discuss in the coming weeks.

Hasn't what-if gaming been called a bullshit site or am I misremembering it? I have never heard of them before this and can't say with any validity if they are to be taken seriously or not.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Why won't this game have graphics I literally can't run for the foreseeable future :qq:. This is A SLAP TO THE FACE!

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Karrahad posted:

Because people are whining about a downgrade that didn't happen instead of discussing the ethics of marketing a work-in-progress videogame project with prendered graphics?

I know. That doesn't make them "entitled" or their complaints "entitlement" (nor even necessarily bad complaints! I don't really give a poo poo, the game looks totally fine to me, but it is fair to point out that if something was advertised as gameplay and it's not, that's not okay. It wasn't okay when Aliens did it either.) It's a stupid word that for some reason people have latched onto in the past few years despite it being totally loving wrong.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lmao

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

There was a really good article on the Psychology of entitlement, and how it's often a pretty silly thing. I wish I could find it. I think it was posted in the previous thread - does anyone recall it? It was really relevant in regard to this ~downgrade~ stuff.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the crux of the matter is false advertising is bullshit, and it gets worse every year. I'm happy people are blowing this up so maybe that poo poo will stop.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Yeah, the crux of the matter is false advertising is bullshit, and it gets worse every year. I'm happy people are blowing this up so maybe that poo poo will stop.

It won't because people can't approach it in an intellectual manner, so all they do is fling poo poo and throw tantrums. Nothing gets done.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre that goons are defending CDPR for lying about the graphics of the game
e.g. Comte talking about how the PC version looks totally different from the console versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Dammit. Galaxy is giving me two times for the release of Witcher 3 and I don't know which is true :( The store page says 6 and a half more hours, the game's page says release in 14 hours. Which is it you cockteasin' fucksticks?! :argh:

edit: 34 pages later and still pissing and moaning about the graphics. PC gamers are literally the worst sons of bitches in existence. No wonder publishers and developers hate porting their poo poo over.

Naky fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 18, 2015