Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre that goons are defending CDPR for lying about the graphics of the game
e.g. Comte talking about how the PC version looks totally different from the console versions.

shut up idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I remember reading an interview with one of the devs, and they said they didn't want to show off pc ultra until release because they wanted to give pc players "a bit of a slap to the face". It's obviously not how they meant it but with all this downgrade talk, that's pretty funny.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

It won't because people can't approach it in an intellectual manner, so all they do is fling poo poo and throw tantrums. Nothing gets done.

Agreed. It's super frustrating to me on both sides, the "There is no problem whatsoever you entitled babies!" and the "this is robbery gently caress this developer!" keep us from actually having a discussion on why this is such a prevalent thing and what, if anything, to do about it.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I kinda want to play this on day one just so I can see the Advent Rising-ness of it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Agreed. It's super frustrating to me on both sides, the "There is no problem whatsoever you entitled babies!" and the "this is robbery gently caress this developer!" keep us from actually having a discussion on why this is such a prevalent thing and what, if anything, to do about it.

Absolutely. I'm not saying anything bad about the game itself and the graphics are fine, it's just a major problem in the industry to put an ultra sheen in previews you never see in the final product.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Naky posted:

Dammit. Galaxy is giving me two times for the release of Witcher 3 and I don't know which is true :( The store page says 6 and a half more hours, the game's page says release in 14 hours. Which is it you cockteasin' fucksticks?! :argh:

edit: 34 pages later and still pissing and moaning about the graphics. PC gamers are literally the worst sons of bitches in existence. No wonder publishers and developers hate porting their poo poo over.

yeah noted console developer CDPR porting its games to the PC

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Yeah. I don't really think it's a big deal - false advertising is a pretty big thing these days (If it's even that, I don't think it is). Thinking a product will be a 1:1 relation to it's marketing material, when it's release is a couple of years away is a bit.. silly.

Plus, the actual product isn't even out yet - while review versions do exist, I don't think they are truly representative of the final product. People (and, often, society as a whole) are entitled in that they expect something to be 1:1. Often, it is not.

While not entirely relevant, I think there is a parrel in ordering a Burger. Does it look identical to the marketing material? No, it'll look different depending on who made it, who dressed it and who hosed up and dropped it on the floor. Will the game look identical to the marketing material? No - and it'll look wildly different depending on the hardware it's run on. It may even look different to different people, depending on how they personally appreciate the visuals.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

floor is lava posted:

I kinda want to play this on day one just so I can see the Advent Rising-ness of it.

Hopefully I win the cash prize!

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

shrike82 posted:

Yeah, it's pretty bizarre that goons are defending CDPR for lying about the graphics of the game
e.g. Comte talking about how the PC version looks totally different from the console versions.

I don't really feel like I've been lied to, that's the thing. I recognize that video games don't really come together until the last minute, a lot of the time. It's not like Dark Souls 2, which seemed far more scummy to me. edit: or loving Colonial Marines

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The "downgrade" stuff is definitely a matter of principles rather than quality, the game looks great anyway and I don't regret buying, false advertising still shouldn't get a pass but it's getting blown way out of proportion.

Like I'll watch that video of the PS4/PC comparison or the screens and wonder which one of these is supposed to look better again?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

shrike82 posted:

yeah noted console developer CDPR porting its games to the PC

Yes, because I was clearly talking about CDPR in my comment. You're so ~wittay~ and ~clevar~, you sassy devil you.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here's what to do about it:

Realise that marketing is marketing. Don't take it at face value, and just wait to see some real gameplay footage closer to release.

Most importantly, don't get riled up about minor graphical settings in a loving video game.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Actually the main things stopping anyone from having a mature and coherent and likely very boring discussion about misleading video game advertising are the lack of available evidence and more importantly the fact that this is the Games forum and not D&D.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Here's what to do about it:

Realise that marketing is marketing. Don't take it at face value, and just wait to see some real gameplay footage closer to release.

Most importantly, don't get riled up about minor graphical settings in a loving video game.

We should instead be getting riled up about the lack of Geralt Dong in the game.

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
edit: nevermind

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i am downloading this video game to my playstation 4 hooray

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

Yeah. I don't really think it's a big deal - false advertising is a pretty big thing these days (If it's even that, I don't think it is). Thinking a product will be a 1:1 relation to it's marketing material, when it's release is a couple of years away is a bit.. silly.

Plus, the actual product isn't even out yet - while review versions do exist, I don't think they are truly representative of the final product. People (and, often, society as a whole) are entitled in that they expect something to be 1:1. Often, it is not.

While not entirely relevant, I think there is a parrel in ordering a Burger. Does it look identical to the marketing material? No, it'll look different depending on who made it, who dressed it and who hosed up and dropped it on the floor. Will the game look identical to the marketing material? No - and it'll look wildly different depending on the hardware it's run on. It may even look different to different people, depending on how they personally appreciate the visuals.

In regards to the parallel, I've heard there are some places where images used for advertising of food have to be pictures taken of something using the actual ingredients as it would be made, using the same recipe/process, so while you'll rarely see it done, it COULD be as advertised.

What about the case where it can't possibly be done, though? A case like, say, with Aliens, where the game can't possibly, no matter what hardware you throw at it, look as good as they advertise? That's really what I'm interested in.

Bardeh posted:

Generally good advice, of course, but I can't blame someone for expecting something labeled as gameplay to be the gameplay. Maybe they shouldn't expect that, but that seems deceptive to me.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

This is mentioned in the books when Ciri is training to become a Witcher. It's not just the mutagens and Trial of the Grasses. There's a diet of specially prepared fungi and such that hugely affect the body's hormonal balance. Hormones are supposed to have a different balance in men and women, obviously. The Witchers didn't think of that, and they were having Ciri on that until Triss noticed and threw an absolute shitfit.

It's a good guess that testosterone levels are being manipulated, as Triss realised something was wrong when she saw Ciri naked when having her try on a dress.

As for the Trial of the Grasses, they indeed can't. The Witchers don't understand parts of the process (they just know the basics, like the diet), and if I recall correctly it also needs a sorcerer present to guide the mutations. And the current Witchers aren't keen on the idea of entrusting anyone else with the mutagens and Witcher secrets.

I don't remember, but I think the idea was that Triss would help make Ciri a real Witcher, but then she threw that shitfit.

Another fun fact: Ciri can't make signs. That's another reason why they called Triss to help. Turned out that the reason is that she was a Source and was too unstable without magic training to be able to use signs. Signs are supposed to be really, really easy to use, and that's why Witchers use them.

Triss assumes they're going to ask her for help in mutating Ciri but it turns out the main reason why they need her is because Ciri started going into trances and prophesizing and they could sense it was magical in nature but didn't know what to do about it. Geralt couldn't face Yennefer after they broke up so they turned to Triss, the only other mage they can trust.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
Hello, I lost all of my witcher 2 save files due to I had to format my computer. Is there some dialogue thing when I start a new game to tell it what choices I made? Does it even matter at all really?

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

iGestalt posted:

It won't because people can't approach it in an intellectual manner, so all they do is fling poo poo and throw tantrums. Nothing gets done.
If there's one thing history should teach you it's that flinging poo poo and throwing tantrums quite often gets things done. Perhaps not in the best way possible, though.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Does the PC version still have the nvidia hair simulator graphics option? This is important toward my enjoyment of this game.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

In regards to the parallel, I've heard there are some places where images used for advertising of food have to be pictures taken of something using the actual ingredients as it would be made, using the same recipe/process, so while you'll rarely see it done, it COULD be as advertised.

What about the case where it can't possibly be done, though? A case like, say, with Aliens, where the game can't possibly, no matter what hardware you throw at it, look as good as they advertise? That's really what I'm interested in.

That is interesting - I had no idea there was an approach like that. Yeah, Alien's CM is a really good example of not only a complete downgrade but a huge lie about the end result. Witcher 3 is not anywhere remotely close to that, though. Ideally this could all be solved with Developers/Publishers putting "Not representative of final product" or "Our goal is for it to look like this" or, hell. "Potentially subject to change"

That's solve it all.
No it wouldn't. People are dumb.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Alighieri posted:

Does the PC version still have the nvidia hair simulator graphics option? This is important toward my enjoyment of this game.

Yes it does, and if early reports are accurate it will absolutely murder your framerate.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBoCRYX6Vq0

I worked on this one!

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

iGestalt posted:

That is interesting - I had no idea there was an approach like that. Yeah, Alien's CM is a really good example of not only a complete downgrade but a huge lie about the end result. Witcher 3 is not anywhere remotely close to that, though. Ideally this could all be solved with Developers/Publishers putting "Not representative of final product" or "Our goal is for it to look like this" or, hell. "Potentially subject to change"

That's solve it all.

:agreed:, with all parts. I seem to remember some Bioshock ads that did just that, they had what you said, "Not representative of gameplay" or something, on them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Last wish (book spoiler):
Just finished reading this, guessing the implication at the end is that Geralt wished for Yennefer to fall in love with him? ...does she become nicer/a better person as a result? She's pretty awful in this story so can't imagine why I'd pick her over Triss in the game, unless they make you due to the love spell or something.

In regards to responsiveness, didn't mind the way sword attacks worked in W2 but had a problem with bombs/spells just fizzling or not going off, sheating/unsheating weapons and the like. Basically if I tell Geralt to throw a bomb I want him to stop whatever he's doing and throw a bomb.

I interpreted it as a wish for love as well. Either way, the Djinn basically binds their fates together.
Yennefer is kind a bitch in the short stories (I assume mostly because she can't deal with the whole destiny thing) but becomes great in the novels.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is like a legal battle. Just watched the 2013 trailer and I assume the thing people get upset about is the part that says "in-game footage." So it's sort of up to you on how you take that.

Honestly, developers should probably just avoid saying it all together.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

iGestalt posted:

That's solve it all.

Then you get ubisoft "in game pre rendered footage " which doesn't mean anything.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Alighieri posted:

This. I like my heroes and hoes with perfectly rendered pubic hair. :jerkbag:

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I don't want developers to stop optimizing games because a guy who spent $3000 on a computer wants to look at pretty graphics at 2frames per second instead of playing the game.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Booya posted:

Hello, I lost all of my witcher 2 save files due to I had to format my computer. Is there some dialogue thing when I start a new game to tell it what choices I made? Does it even matter at all really?

There should be Nilfgaardian interrogator to set up major decisions, or you can roll with whatever's default.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

New trailer just came out on Witcher youtube page. Lots of cameos from past games in this one. And holy poo poo the facial expressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBoCRYX6Vq0

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Bort Bortles posted:

I dont know how you are playing, but what skills does Geralt start with? I absolutely hated having to do the "beginner" tree in Witcher 2 and then needing to spend skill points on other basics to reduce backstab damage and whatnot.
Review copy. I write stupid articles about games for this website. They sent us PS4 and PC code, though the PC won't unlock for me until launch.

Geralt starts off as a pretty capable guy. I haven't even invested a skill point yet but right off the bat you're able to do everything you want in combat. Well, most everything, as you don't start with a crossbow. No need to invest to reduce backstab damage or anything like that.

I do think it's interesting that there are skills which can tie into light/medium/heavy armor to provide boosts. The light armor skill increases crits and fast attacks, medium boosts sign damage and stamina regen, and heavy increases health as well as heavy attacks.

EDIT: Earlier I mentioned crashing while playing Gwent on PS4. I recreated the crash. It seems to happen consistently (in the tutorial match, at least) if you tap the triangle button instead of holding it down to pass your turn.

Corin Tucker's Stalker fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 18, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Oh hell. I count quite a few returning characters! Zoltan lookin' fuckin cool.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Spikeguy posted:

This is like a legal battle. Just watched the 2013 trailer and I assume the thing people get upset about is the part that says "in-game footage." So it's sort of up to you on how you take that.

Honestly, developers should probably just avoid saying it all together.

They should just label everything as concept footage until the last few months.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/The-Witcher-3-PC-237266/Specials/Grafikkarten-Benchmarks-1159196/

After seeing this I'm rethinking my decision to keep my 770 and not get a 970.

Note that they are saying that this new review runs about 10-20% percent slower than the preview version they tested just a couple days ago.

Gamestar.de also tested different graphics cards (in German):

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/artikel/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_systemanforderungen,49062,3085863,7.html#fazit

The value added: GTX 770 can run the game with High settings, if you have more than 2GB VRAM, crank up the texture quality to Ultra.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

iGestalt posted:

Oh hell. I count quite a few returning characters! Zoltan lookin' fuckin cool.

Roche and ves in the trailer, oh yes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Lil Ciri on the Pendulum! :3:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Found a review and this comment had me laughing.

quote:

Not necessarily a bad review, but not a good one either. The reviewer seemed to be completely unbiased in his assessments if not a little harsh. He reviews the game not as a gamer but as a critic painstakingly slogging through the game in effort to get the review out on time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

VarXX posted:

I don't want developers to stop optimizing games because a guy who spent $3000 on a computer wants to look at pretty graphics at 2frames per second instead of playing the game.

Given how the game runs so poorly on consoles, I don't think CDPR succeeded in that either.

Thanks Obama