Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Geemer posted:

Looks like it also fixed the poo poo with images not loading anymore, at least according to the release notes.

I'm on the developer version, 38.0.5 and am still seeing this issue. Unless they've fixed it in the stable release but not the beta channel version. The way my luck's been lately, it wouldn't surprise me.

Which would mean I'd have to (I think) uninstall the beta, download the stable version and create a new profile and set everything back up. Again :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Seeing what I assume is a variation of the same bug on 38.0.1

Now I have favicons disappearing temporarily when it happens. The rest of the damage limits itself to blacked out pictures. The whole thing where heavy pages wouldn't stop loading, pictures disappeared and Firefox kept eating cpu cycles I haven't seen anymore, but it's barely been a day, so.

In all that time still not seen the same thing on 36.0.4 which for some reason is still what I rock on my old desktop. Not eager to update that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Per-tab processes takes a step closer shortly - it's going to be offered on Developer Edition 40 in a few days' time. I've tried it and a lot of my extensions are incompatible, but it's good to see Firefox catching up after all this time.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Seeing what I assume is a variation of the same bug on 38.0.1

Now I have favicons disappearing temporarily when it happens. The rest of the damage limits itself to blacked out pictures. The whole thing where heavy pages wouldn't stop loading, pictures disappeared and Firefox kept eating cpu cycles I haven't seen anymore, but it's barely been a day, so.

In all that time still not seen the same thing on 36.0.4 which for some reason is still what I rock on my old desktop. Not eager to update that.

I still see the same issue, but I noticed FF recovered after I closed the tab with the PYR GIF thread in it. Refreshed other tabs and everything was normal again. in 37, I had to restart the entire browser. Looks like they've made progress, but still not fully there.

Is it impossible to roll my 38.0.1 profile back to 36?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Any idea why, on certain pages such as FB, the thickness of the fonts is varying as I move the mouse around the page. It's really annoying.

Example....

Only registered members can see post attachments!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked at the past few pages and didn't see it mentioned.

I have the Camalizer add-on installed and it's quick button on the navigation bar has been gone since something like 36.0 or so.

I can customize FF and put it back in the bar someplace but it only works for that session of FF and is gone next time I open it.

I've un/reinstalled the add-on and it doesn't make a difference. On its options it shows as it should appear in the navigation bar.

Am I missing something simple here? My U block icon stays each time and has since I installed it, but Camalizer is being a pain.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there a way to check what's causing my Firefox to be so goddamn slow when I have multiple tabs opened? With 5+ tabs it slows down to a crawl, when i'm typing text it's like 2 characters behind what i'm currently typing, the scrolling is painfully slow and even the progress circle for loading on tabs is spinning at like 5 fps. It shouldn't be happening on i7 CPU, 24GB ram and SSD.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

LooKMaN posted:

Is there a way to check what's causing my Firefox to be so goddamn slow when I have multiple tabs opened? With 5+ tabs it slows down to a crawl, when i'm typing text it's like 2 characters behind what i'm currently typing, the scrolling is painfully slow and even the progress circle for loading on tabs is spinning at like 5 fps. It shouldn't be happening on i7 CPU, 24GB ram and SSD.
That sounds like extremely poor disk I/O performance, what SSD do you have? Are you running non-Microsoft AV software?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB which works fine. Using latest Bitdefender AV.
Before Firefox i used Opera12 and just to check I tested it just now, opened every thread on the 1st SH/SC page and it had no slowdown with ~40 tabs open.

The only addons I use are FireGestures, Greasemonkey (with 1 script), Reddit Enhancement Suite, uBlock, LastPass and Imagus.

Tried reseting the profile which did nothing and restarting Firefox in safe mode helped a little but it still feels extremely slow with multiple tabs.

Opening 40 tabs in Firefox made it unusable, scrolling down the page has like a 5 second delay. When opening tabs the SSD usage spiked to 30% for couple of seconds then back to 1-3%. CPU usage is stuck at 20% and ram at 1.2GB or so.

Mayne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 16, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

slidebite posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I looked at the past few pages and didn't see it mentioned.

I have the Camalizer add-on installed and it's quick button on the navigation bar has been gone since something like 36.0 or so.

I can customize FF and put it back in the bar someplace but it only works for that session of FF and is gone next time I open it.

I've un/reinstalled the add-on and it doesn't make a difference. On its options it shows as it should appear in the navigation bar.

Am I missing something simple here? My U block icon stays each time and has since I installed it, but Camalizer is being a pain.

From the addon's description:

quote:

Camelizer v2.5 forces the toolbar icon to appear during its first run. Address bar and addon bar icons are no longer an option. Apologies to users who these changes may annoy, but recent internal changes to Firefox have required them.

I did a quick all-file search through Camelizer's code, and it looks like the author isn't actually supporting Australis toolbar buttons (Firefox 29+). This is the addon author's fault, but they're blaming Firefox. It looks like they have a newer 'developer' version that fixes the icon disappearing problem here but that still doesn't support Australis so you can still only place the toolbar button in the navigation bar.

If you have any contact with the author, suggest they add Australis support and things will work just fine. You can also tell them that it's very simple to implement; with Australis, they don't even need to bother with saving where the user put the toolbar button like they are for the legacy UI toolbar button.

edit: clarification

astral fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 16, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

LooKMaN posted:

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB which works fine. Using latest Bitdefender AV.
Install the latest Samsung Magician software, update the firmware, reboot, then run the Advanced Performance Optimization (will take some time to complete). Make sure RAPID mode is enabled afterward! There was an annoying bug that they finally fixed that caused disk performance to decline over time. Running that will restore performance to new and prevent it from declining in the future. Also, if this is your personal machine I'd strongly recommend uninstalling Bitdefender and using the Microsoft-provided solution for best performance and reliability.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

Alereon posted:

Install the latest Samsung Magician software, update the firmware, reboot, then run the Advanced Performance Optimization (will take some time to complete). Make sure RAPID mode is enabled afterward! There was an annoying bug that they finally fixed that caused disk performance to decline over time. Running that will restore performance to new and prevent it from declining in the future. Also, if this is your personal machine I'd strongly recommend uninstalling Bitdefender and using the Microsoft-provided solution for best performance and reliability.

I have the latest firmware and RAPID mode isn't really worth it on 840 series in my opinion. It's not a disk issue anyway if benchmarks and other browsers work just fine. Bitdefender was rated the best AV by those independent AV review sites and I like it (and have a licence) so I'll be keeping it for now. I just wanted to know if there's like a process monitor for firefox tabs or whatever so i could check what's happening like in Chrome which splits tabs into processes and has a task manager so it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

LooKMaN posted:

I have the latest firmware and RAPID mode isn't really worth it on 840 series in my opinion. It's not a disk issue anyway if benchmarks and other browsers work just fine. Bitdefender was rated the best AV by those independent AV review sites and I like it (and have a licence) so I'll be keeping it for now. I just wanted to know if there's like a process monitor for firefox tabs or whatever so i could check what's happening like in Chrome which splits tabs into processes and has a task manager so it's pretty easy to see what's going on.
Did you actually update to the latest Samsung Magician, update the firmware, AND run the Advanced Performance Optimization? If you did not, you may not have corrected the disk performance issue. Benchmarks aren't affected and other browsers aren't as dependent on disk I/O performance, so I'd strongly recommend that you double-check that this issue was corrected before getting deep into troubleshooting.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Just enabled electrolysis in my developer build because I'm a livin-on-the-edge kinda guy. So far most things seem fine, though SALR not working is a real downer.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Alereon posted:

Did you actually update to the latest Samsung Magician, update the firmware, AND run the Advanced Performance Optimization? If you did not, you may not have corrected the disk performance issue. Benchmarks aren't affected and other browsers aren't as dependent on disk I/O performance, so I'd strongly recommend that you double-check that this issue was corrected before getting deep into troubleshooting.

I couldn't find Advanced Performance Optimization in my Samsung Magician after I updated. Is that because I don't have an EVO drive, just a standard Samsung 840 SSD?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

hooah posted:

I couldn't find Advanced Performance Optimization in my Samsung Magician after I updated. Is that because I don't have an EVO drive, just a standard Samsung 840 SSD?
Yes it's an issue with the smaller flash memory cells in the 840 Evo. There's been some reports that the 840 non-EVO was affected as well (but not as badly), but Samsung hasn't confirmed that yet.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Hrrm FF just updated to 38.0.1 and it seems to have fixed the issue with the .gifs not loading properly. At least in the quick n' dirty browsing through the PYF thread I just did. I have the EME free version though. VLC plugin 2.2.1.0 is installed too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

astral posted:

From the addon's description:

I did a quick all-file search through Camelizer's code, and it looks like the author isn't actually supporting Australis toolbar buttons (Firefox 29+). This is the addon author's fault, but they're blaming Firefox. It looks like they have a newer 'developer' version that fixes the icon disappearing problem here but that still doesn't support Australis so you can still only place the toolbar button in the navigation bar.

If you have any contact with the author, suggest they add Australis support and things will work just fine. You can also tell them that it's very simple to implement; with Australis, they don't even need to bother with saving where the user put the toolbar button like they are for the legacy UI toolbar button.

edit: clarification

Thanks for the digging into it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Hrrm FF just updated to 38.0.1 and it seems to have fixed the issue with the .gifs not loading properly. At least in the quick n' dirty browsing through the PYF thread I just did. I have the EME free version though. VLC plugin 2.2.1.0 is installed too.

Over in the Schadenfreude thread, user Anarchist Mae posted a great gresemonkey/tampermonkey extension he wrote which:

- Prevents images from breaking out of tables.
- Turns imgur and flickr thumbnails into full sized images.
- Wraps imgur and flickr images with links to the original image.
- Turns GIF images on imgur into GIFV style videos.

It's that last one that's important. All those 50MB gifs now turn into 0.5MB gifvs.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure how. but every now and then, Firefox stops displaying images. it';s just a white screen. Even the image on youtube is gone. now idea how to fix it, but it returns to normal after awhile. i thought about resetting my profile, but it cant be that i imagine. i even turned off ublock last time and that seemed to kill the issue. but it popped up back again.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Per-tab processes takes a step closer shortly - it's going to be offered on Developer Edition 40 in a few days' time. I've tried it and a lot of my extensions are incompatible, but it's good to see Firefox catching up after all this time.

Imagine how far along they'd be if they hadn't completely shut the project down in 2011, after only doing some very preliminary work on it! Man, that still blows my mind.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Sefal posted:

I'm not sure how. but every now and then, Firefox stops displaying images. it';s just a white screen. Even the image on youtube is gone. now idea how to fix it, but it returns to normal after awhile. i thought about resetting my profile, but it cant be that i imagine. i even turned off ublock last time and that seemed to kill the issue. but it popped up back again.

Are you running 38.0.1? It fixes an issue that causes images to stop drawing (particularly when you are viewing lots of GIFs).

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xamphear posted:

Imagine how far along they'd be if they hadn't completely shut the project down in 2011, after only doing some very preliminary work on it! Man, that still blows my mind.
Yes. Cryofreezing developers that worked on that was not a good idea.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

Actually looks like it's just separate processes for the UI and content threads, not specifically for each tab. Sigh. IE and Chrome have had the latter for years.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Mozilla devs, being dragged into the present kicking and screaming. Now if only they could stop making really terrible UI decisions every couple of versions.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
So, would it be inappropriate if I posted my extensions to see if anyone has better alternatives? Or maybe some stuff doesn't work right, etc. I have a bunch of privacy stuff, which, not having college hours on how web traffic works, I only have a loose handle on.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Jon Do posted:

So, would it be inappropriate if I posted my extensions to see if anyone has better alternatives? Or maybe some stuff doesn't work right, etc. I have a bunch of privacy stuff, which, not having college hours on how web traffic works, I only have a loose handle on.

Go for it. That's usually how I discover new and useful extensions I didn't know existed

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Cross posting this, because goddamn someone finally decided to fix the issue of big images killing Firefox:

Forums user Anarchist Mae has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

Something Awful Image Fixes 1.3.0

It also does other things, like resize thumbnails, too.

For the first time in almost two months, I have been able to view the gif thread in PYF without Firefox having an aneurism.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Cross posting this, because goddamn someone finally decided to fix the issue of big images killing Firefox:

Forums user Anarchist Mae has written a great script for anyone who views the image threads. It automatically looks for gifv and webm versions of images which means no more opening a page with a dozen 50MB gifs and killing your computer.

Something Awful Image Fixes 1.3.0

It also does other things, like resize thumbnails, too.

For the first time in almost two months, I have been able to view the gif thread in PYF without Firefox having an aneurism.

Huh, not visiting those threads I guess I underestimated just how much automatic gif->video replacement might help users. I'll bump up its priority for SALR, in that case. :)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Actually looks like it's just separate processes for the UI and content threads, not specifically for each tab. Sigh. IE and Chrome have had the latter for years.

This is in fact far better, and is the thing that will fix the responsiveness problems.

Chrome's per-tab stuff is insanely wasteful on ram and CPU, and makes Chrome worthless for me outside of testing stuff.

The only argument for the per-tab isolation is security. If FF can assure that by other means then all the better.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

This is in fact far better, and is the thing that will fix the responsiveness problems.

Chrome's per-tab stuff is insanely wasteful on ram and CPU, and makes Chrome worthless for me outside of testing stuff.

The only argument for the per-tab isolation is security. If FF can assure that by other means then all the better.

Is responsiveness likely to improve perceivably when multiprocess is enabled by default? It's only slightly better in Firefox 40 than the usual single process for me.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's both. Maybe. The current goal for 2015 is to get "a single content thread" working. But past that the plan is for multiple content threads, possibly one per tab.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox :
"Future versions of Firefox will run the browser UI in a separate process from web content. In the first iteration of this architecture all browser tabs will run in the same process, and the browser UI will run in a different process. In future iterations, we expect to have more than one content process."

And yeah, don't take this as me excusing Mozilla's behavior, I'm just laying out their position. I was dumbfounded when they scuttled the original e10s project 4 years ago, and am shocked that their reboot of the project has such slow progress. IE had separate UI and Content threads in IE8 which launched in March of 2009. Chrome followed shortly after. Firefox hopes to reach this initial level of multithreading by the end of 2015, nearly 7 years later.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

astral posted:

Huh, not visiting those threads I guess I underestimated just how much automatic gif->video replacement might help users. I'll bump up its priority for SALR, in that case. :)

It was kind of a perfect (poo poo)storm which caused it all. Firefox has never been all that great at handling memory and a couple of updates ago brought in a bug where a single large image on a page would stop every other image from loading. Then usually crash the browser because even closing the tab wouldn't stop memory use from going up.

At the same time, image hosting sites like Imgur and Gfycat removed their 2MB files size restriction and people stopped optimising their gifs and started posting tonnes of 50MB gifs inline. Even 250MB gifs :doh: Cue Firefox falling over like a cheap drunk on ice.

I originally thought it was just me thanks to some unrelated hardware issues I had at the time, but lots of other people started posting about their Firefox crashing or not loading, too.

Now sites like Imgur offer automatic conversion of large gifs but a lot of people are ignoring it because Firefox doesn't inline these file by default.

TLDR: Thanks for bumping up the priority :thumbsup:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's also because putting it in a lovely video format often makes them look worse, and take up more battery. It's good that by default lovely webm isn't inlined.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

It's also because putting it in a lovely video format often makes them look worse, and take up more battery. It's good that by default lovely webm isn't inlined.
While WebM may be lovely, its a lot less lovely than GIF for files of non-trivial size.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Im starting to see paid search result ads on youtube for the first time. I tried both ublock and adblock. Does anyone know which list blocks those?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

xamphear posted:

It's both. Maybe. The current goal for 2015 is to get "a single content thread" working. But past that the plan is for multiple content threads, possibly one per tab.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Firefox/Multiprocess_Firefox :
"Future versions of Firefox will run the browser UI in a separate process from web content. In the first iteration of this architecture all browser tabs will run in the same process, and the browser UI will run in a different process. In future iterations, we expect to have more than one content process."

And yeah, don't take this as me excusing Mozilla's behavior, I'm just laying out their position. I was dumbfounded when they scuttled the original e10s project 4 years ago, and am shocked that their reboot of the project has such slow progress. IE had separate UI and Content threads in IE8 which launched in March of 2009. Chrome followed shortly after. Firefox hopes to reach this initial level of multithreading by the end of 2015, nearly 7 years later.

What was their rationale for dumping e10s? I was pretty pissed too - I love Firefox and I can never get Chrome to "feel" right in terms of workflow and small, sperg-type stuff, but there's definitely been a UX clunkiness that's not in IE and Chrome.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What was their rationale for dumping e10s? I was pretty pissed too - I love Firefox and I can never get Chrome to "feel" right in terms of workflow and small, sperg-type stuff, but there's definitely been a UX clunkiness that's not in IE and Chrome.

If memory serves me right, their position was that "the problems people have with Firefox's responsiveness can be fixed more easily in other ways" which rang as patently untrue to my ears at the time. I'm not saying that they didn't make progress in the last 4 years in removing some of the jank. Just that keeping everything a browser does in a single process is always going to be a hugely limiting factor, no matter how many amazing refinements you make to the UI code.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The most useful parts of e10s were successfully implemented, only the final step of breaking each tab out into its own process didn't happen. Remember that they did break out plugins into their own process, moved JS compilation and many other tasks onto their own threads in the main process to prevent blocking and reduce jank, and implemented incremental garbage collection which also significantly reduced jank. Separately, they also released the new Australis UI to further improve performance.

At the end of the day, while breaking out tabs into separate processes is nice for stability, it's more of a last-10% feature for UI responsiveness. When you consider that it breaks most extensions which tends to enrage people, it was a pretty obvious choice to push it out until there was nothing better do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Alereon posted:

At the end of the day, while breaking out tabs into separate processes is nice for stability, it's more of a last-10% feature for UI responsiveness.
So then what is going to fix Firefox's serious ongoing jank problem? If process separation isn't going to do it, what is?

If I search for something on Amazon, and then ctrl-click to open up 3 product description pages in the background, then click in the address bar to type in a fresh URL, the browser chugs so hard that I can type out half the address before it catches up and even shows what I've been typing. Are you saying that process separation isn't going to fix this? If so, why don't IE or Chrome have issues with this sort of usage?