Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

GoldenNugget posted:

1) Is a 0.6mm stub a good size? I am worried about capacity issues. I do have a 0.6mm nemosine which is a good writer but uses a lot of ink. Is 0.6mm practical for a VP or should I go smaller, something like 0.4-0.5mm?

Nemosine nib comparisons on FPN.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/239068-a-review-of-the-nemosine-singularity-demonstrator-fountain-pen/#entry2614482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
I haven't posted in this thread in maybe 2 years. I moved cross-country 1.5 years ago, and all but one of my pens had been in a box since then. I finally unpacked them yesterday, and shockingly, a Pilot Petit wrote perfectly right out of the box. It still had 3 year old ink in in it, and I didn't even wipe the nib off or anything. Just wrote like it was brand new.

I felt that this needed to be shared.

Also, I'm going to be buying a first fountain pen for a teenage girl as a birthday gift. I'm guessing I should just obey the thread title and go with a Pilot Metropolitan?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mnemosyne posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in maybe 2 years. I moved cross-country 1.5 years ago, and all but one of my pens had been in a box since then. I finally unpacked them yesterday, and shockingly, a Pilot Petit wrote perfectly right out of the box. It still had 3 year old ink in in it, and I didn't even wipe the nib off or anything. Just wrote like it was brand new.

I felt that this needed to be shared.

Also, I'm going to be buying a first fountain pen for a teenage girl as a birthday gift. I'm guessing I should just obey the thread title and go with a Pilot Metropolitan?

I gifted the Violet Leopard metro to a friend of mine that hasn't used a fountain pen since primary school (she's not a teenager, I got it for her 32nd); she told me she keeps getting compliments at her office, the thing looks great.

So yeah, vote for a Metro (go go violet leopard!).

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Edmond Dantes posted:

I gifted the Violet Leopard metro to a friend of mine that hasn't used a fountain pen since primary school (she's not a teenager, I got it for her 32nd); she told me she keeps getting compliments at her office, the thing looks great.

So yeah, vote for a Metro (go go violet leopard!).

My sister is about that age too and started her job and I too got her a Violet Leopard with PR Tanzanite. She loves it.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GoldenNugget posted:

So a 0.6mm VP stub by Binder is much less than a 0.6mm on a Nemosine?

Anyway I just got my VP here and it's amazing with a M nib.

http://imgur.com/a/8u1W3

Yes, basically it'll be much finer as it's a JPN nib vs western nib sizes. Nice, I love the wooden presentation box.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
Re: storing inks. I have a bottle of Organics Studio Gregor Mendel that I plan on using in about 8 months. It's in the cardboard box and I pick it up and shake it every few weeks. Is this sufficient? The ink is for wedding invitations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

milpreve posted:

Re: storing inks. I have a bottle of Organics Studio Gregor Mendel that I plan on using in about 8 months. It's in the cardboard box and I pick it up and shake it every few weeks. Is this sufficient? The ink is for wedding invitations.

Yes, it should be fine. I like to keep my inks in a dark area too.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone that can recommend inks that are black enough to pass as "black ink" for legal purposes (but that aren't just black)? I've got a bottle of Aircorp Blue-Black to start. Using a medium VP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Welsper posted:

Anyone that can recommend inks that are black enough to pass as "black ink" for legal purposes (but that aren't just black)? I've got a bottle of Aircorp Blue-Black to start. Using a medium VP.

Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. It's a dark dark dark black-red color, but is so dark it looks like writing with a loving black-inked Bic.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Rohrer and Klingner Leipziger Black and Diamine 1864 Blue Black are good. I tend to avoid recommending anything by Noodler's since the inks are a little iffy.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I got my girlfriend a Pilot Metro for her birthday several months ago and she told me she wanted more pens for more inks. What have I done. :negative:

Are there any Goulet-like sites for the European mainland or should we just order stuff from there and eat the shipping?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
My girlfriend just texted me to let me know that my Seven Seas Writer from Nanami Paper showed up today. Gonna be a long day in the office waiting to get home and write in that thing.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Welsper posted:

Big Bad Kingfisher is a great dark navy with bulletproof properties.

Minenfeld! posted:

I tend to avoid recommending anything by Noodler's since the inks are a little iffy.

How so? I get not wanting to risk BSB in an antique or an M600 but outside of wholesale formula changes they're consistent, stable and many mix quite well.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

Fragrag posted:

I got my girlfriend a Pilot Metro for her birthday several months ago and she told me she wanted more pens for more inks. What have I done. :negative:

Are there any Goulet-like sites for the European mainland or should we just order stuff from there and eat the shipping?

Was going to suggest missing-pen.de but their website appears to have closed.

There are a bunch in the Uk- cult pens, purepens, the writing desk etc

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Guys, if you don't have Tomoe River paper in your life you need to get some right now

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I just had my Pilot MR with 1.1 italic nib leak all over the journal page I was writing :negative:

I managed to salvage the page by dabbing the ink (Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun) away with tissue paper, but it had never happened before. Maybe it's because the cartridge I refilled is almost empty? It's a bog-standard Pelikan blue ink cartridge, which I flushed carefully and filled with a syringe. Has anyone had problems like this?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Slimchandi posted:

There are a bunch in the Uk- cult pens, purepens, the writing desk etc

I've used Cult Pens a few times. They always throw a little extra into their deliveries, even if it is only a bag of sweets. So far, I've been happy with their prices and service.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

NeurosisHead posted:

Guys, if you don't have Tomoe River paper in your life you need to get some right now

I want some really bad but have a hard time justifying both the cost and the use. Right now I'm mostly writing on the back of wasted printer paper because my coworkers are huge wasteful babies who can't print anything correctly the first time. If I roll up in here with fancy paper like that there might be a riot. :ohdear:

I don't really want blank paper so if (when) I do splurge and get some I'll probably get one of the journals from Nanami Paper so I can have lines.
...also I kinda want a case of these because I probably write more on sticky notes than any other paper.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 5, 2015

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

How so? I get not wanting to risk BSB in an antique or an M600 but outside of wholesale formula changes they're consistent, stable and many mix quite well.

Richard Binder explains it better than I could. After much experimentation and playing with inks because it was fun (I've even tried the infamous BSB which is beautiful), I've come to the conclusion that I only really need Waterman inks for daily use. My Lamy's have thanked me. The Pelikan m405 has only ever had J. Herbin or Waterman ink in it. Not willing to risk that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Any clue if the sheaffer 300 is a decent pen? I really like the way it looks. If it's crap does anyone have a suggestion on a pen that looks very similar. It matches a watch I have pretty closely.
http://www.gouletpens.com/SH9327/p/SH9327

background:
I REALLY like the way it looks. I'm pretty (read drat near impossible) hard to shop for and my wife is always looking for ideas for birthday/anniversary/fathers day etc.
I recently picked up a pilot metro and think that I could stand to have a few pens especially from loved ones.

Also.. has anyone had any luck getting a cap or body engraved somewhere like a jewelry store? I'd probably prefer the cap only if she wanted to get it engraved.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tater_salad posted:

Any clue if the sheaffer 300 is a decent pen? I really like the way it looks. If it's crap does anyone have a suggestion on a pen that looks very similar. It matches a watch I have pretty closely.
http://www.gouletpens.com/SH9327/p/SH9327

background:
I REALLY like the way it looks. I'm pretty (read drat near impossible) hard to shop for and my wife is always looking for ideas for birthday/anniversary/fathers day etc.
I recently picked up a pilot metro and think that I could stand to have a few pens especially from loved ones.

Also.. has anyone had any luck getting a cap or body engraved somewhere like a jewelry store? I'd probably prefer the cap only if she wanted to get it engraved.

I bought my girlfriend a Sheaffer Sagaris, and both of us really like it. I haven't used the 300, but if they're coming off of the same production contracts I'd have pretty high hopes for it. I don't have any engraving input though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been using the new sparkly Bleu Ocean in a Metro with a Plumix nib and it is very well-behaved on all the crappy paper I write on at work (probably a waste of my pretty ink but w/e) but I'm not really getting a lot of sheen. It's more like a subtle gold sparkle that I can see if I look really closely but isn't like the other inks where the gold is a lot more obvious. I've been shaking the hell out of the bottle before filling up but it seems like the gold particles are settling out almost immediately despite that. It's still pretty and I'm glad to have it but it isn't quite what I was expecting based on the behavior of the other colors.

That does probably make it a little more uh...work-appropriate, not that that's a huge priority since I use all sorts of outlandish colors on the regular.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looking for recommendations on an everyday writing brown. In the $15 range

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Diamine Chocolate Brown in your price range, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri if you're willing to spend more.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

tater_salad posted:

Diamine Ancient Copper is more reddish-brown than pure brown, but it looks great and shades really nicely.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

kim jong-illin posted:

Diamine Chocolate Brown in your price range, Iroshizuku Yama-Guri if you're willing to spend more.

J. Herbin Lie de The

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

tater_salad posted:

Not Noodler's Polar Brown

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tater_salad posted:

Noodler's Walnut is a really deep near-black brown; if you're writing with something crazy wet it might have a little bit of a reddish cast in the right light. That's like, with a dip nib on cream paper and just the right light angle though.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

pienipple posted:

J. Herbin Lie de The

Yep, this right here. Lie de The is the best brown ink.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Hey, thread - what's this?

I was going through some old stationary the other day and found this old fountain pen.I thought it was a Parker Vector, but a quick look on eBay says that's not true. Parker Flighter? Either way, it reminds me of the pens I had as a schoolboy, and it writes really, rely well. I'm just using Parker Quink black cartridges at the moment, but I'm really pleased with how nice it feels.

(Sorry for the inconsistent colours on these pictures - my camera doesn't like interior fluorescent lighting...)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

It's a Parker Flighter. Never written with one myself, but I'd imagine it writes much like any decent Parker.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Richard Binder's site specifies it further as a 25 Flighter.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/design/flighters.htm

That's a pretty cool looking pen.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks, thread. It's good to know what I've got! And, yes - it writes nicely. Not too heavy, nice flow to the nib. I like it!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Pen newbie trip report: I had ordered a bunch of stuff (pens and ink samples) a while back and I've been using them since.

I got a fine and a medium Metro and I do prefer the medium. My first instinct was to go with the medium since I usually like "bold" disposable ballpoints and fat lead on my mechanical pencils. I got the sample pack of blues so I just put different blues in them and use them both.

I got a Konrad and an Ahab and holy crap do they hold a lot of ink. I put red and purple in them. They don't feel as nice, are both harder to start and seem really wet. I know I can fiddle with these more. Anything I should try?

I also got a Safari. I got the XF nib and a 1.9mm italic. I've only used the italic so far and it's fun but huge and impractical for daily use. I might switch in the XF and try it more. I really didn't like the Safari when I first saw it but it grew on me by the time I placed an order. Now I really like it and want to use it more.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GoodBee posted:

Pen newbie trip report: I had ordered a bunch of stuff (pens and ink samples) a while back and I've been using them since.

I got a fine and a medium Metro and I do prefer the medium. My first instinct was to go with the medium since I usually like "bold" disposable ballpoints and fat lead on my mechanical pencils. I got the sample pack of blues so I just put different blues in them and use them both.

I got a Konrad and an Ahab and holy crap do they hold a lot of ink. I put red and purple in them. They don't feel as nice, are both harder to start and seem really wet. I know I can fiddle with these more. Anything I should try?

I also got a Safari. I got the XF nib and a 1.9mm italic. I've only used the italic so far and it's fun but huge and impractical for daily use. I might switch in the XF and try it more. I really didn't like the Safari when I first saw it but it grew on me by the time I placed an order. Now I really like it and want to use it more.

I'll pipe up about the Konrad and the Ahab, owning both. The big fat ebonite feeds are designed for flex nibs, and are going to be pretty wet. Here's my Ahab with a Goulet nib:

That seems to be the optimal depth for the feed and placement for the non flex nib to get the right amount of ink on the page. I like a somewhat wet nib though, and you'll notice that the feed just looks wet with ink. It's not a recent fill, it just is like that all of the time so I have to watch my grip a little bit. My Ahab with the non flex Goulet fine (and heat set for that nib) is significantly less wet than my Konrad with a Noodler's flex nib.

e:while I'm thinking about it, here's my "used in this notebook" page from my 7 Seas so you can see some samples in the line weight differences. Note that the Konrad is wet enough that with a custom italic and Rouge Hematite it can just lay down a line so wet that it looks orange with how much gold is in it.

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 18, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

That seems to be the optimal depth for the feed and placement for the non flex nib to get the right amount of ink on the page. I like a somewhat wet nib though, and you'll notice that the feed just looks wet with ink. It's not a recent fill, it just is like that all of the time so I have to watch my grip a little bit. My Ahab with the non flex Goulet fine (and heat set for that nib) is significantly less wet than my Konrad with a Noodler's flex nib.

I have noticed a bunch of ink on my fingers when I grip my pen like an idiot.

So it'll still be fairly wet no matter what I try but I could try moving the feed and nib around and see what happens?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

GoodBee posted:

I have noticed a bunch of ink on my fingers when I grip my pen like an idiot.

So it'll still be fairly wet no matter what I try but I could try moving the feed and nib around and see what happens?

That's what I did. It took some fiddling, but I got the pen writing how I like. Which is basically the highlight Noodler's pens; they're not much out of the box but if you like to tinker you can get just about anything out of them.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I just swapped out the flex nib in my Ahab for a Goulet non-flex, and even with a minimum of fiddling it's already a vast improvement over the flex nib, which I found to be balky and recalcitrant. Of course it probably also didn't help that I bent the tines on the flex nib after an unsuccessful attempt at tinkering,

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

howe_sam posted:

I just swapped out the flex nib in my Ahab for a Goulet non-flex, and even with a minimum of fiddling it's already a vast improvement over the flex nib, which I found to be balky and recalcitrant. Of course it probably also didn't help that I bent the tines on the flex nib after an unsuccessful attempt at tinkering,

Yeah, the noodlers flex Ahab leaves a lot to be desired, but it has a maaaaaasive ink capacity compared to a lot of other pens. It does take a little fiddling with the Goulet nibs, but once you've got it set in the feed right, it writes nice and wet. I've had good luck with cutting into the feed a little deeper, too, since the ones that one straight out of the box with the ahabs seem a little shallow, even for the flex nib. Fwiw, cutting the feed a little wider also seems to help the flex nibs work a little better, but they're still pretty unwieldy most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Obligatory Toast posted:

Yeah, the noodlers flex Ahab leaves a lot to be desired, but it has a maaaaaasive ink capacity compared to a lot of other pens.

Thirty-five bucks for a large capacity piston-filler is a nice deal