Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
In a show where someone's skull was crushed with someone else's bare hands I am shocked - shocked I say - that they would do go there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Stabbing a pregnant woman repeatedly in the stomach is fine, but the rape of Sansa? Too far.

:goonsay:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Stabbing a pregnant woman repeatedly in the stomach is fine, but the rape of Sansa? Too far.

:goonsay:

But her agency! :qq:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
she never said no

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
In the books, I'm pretty sure Theon's face throws out the opening pitch of the cosummation.

We could've had twice (thrice?) as much rape in that scene.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

In the books, I'm pretty sure Theon's face throws out the opening pitch of the cosummation.

Yea, Theon serves as a fluffer. GRRM had gone even further than the show. And "agency" is TVIV's favorite buzzword they grabbed off of Jezebel.com.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

And "agency" is TVIV's favorite buzzword they grabbed off of Jezebel.com.

wtf does that even mean

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

elite_garbage_man posted:

wtf does that even mean

Agency represents a character's free will or control over their life and decisions.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I'm triggered.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

"Agency" is a common term when talking about characters on any movie/TV show. A character without agency is loving boring and not very believable. Sansa doesn't do poo poo. Things she does or says rarely have any impact on her fate.

The show stuck her in a black dress and she got to be complicit in some of Baelish's schemes for a bit, but she's still stupid rear end helpless Sansa. It's a disappointment, sure, but it's not necessarily sloppy storytelling- just slightly tiresome at this point.

edit: by comparison, Arya has been all about getting poo poo done. .. until now. Now she just waits for something to happen. This season really sucks for the Stark girls, and not in an entertaining way.

edit again: Arya being the Hound's captive is a good example of how a character still has agency when they can't really do anything to escape their fate. She struggles with hating the hound and becoming his protege. Ultimately she no longer wants to kill him. That's her transformation, and she played an active role in that transformation.

Jaoeken Hyaghgarr's (gently caress you GRRM) bit where he beats her for lying about The Hound was a nice touch and confirmed that transformation.

Victor Vermis fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2015

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So what are the odds that everything backfires on Cersei?!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

So what are the odds that everything backfires on Cersei?!

if everything goes right, she gets convicted by the holy court of smelly dudes and has to take a naked walk of shame back to the castle

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

A 100% shaved naked walk of shame, yes.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Ramsay also includes his dogs in the wedding night festivities. HBO honestly turned down his icky dog fetish for the show.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The Rat posted:

A 100% shaved naked walk of shame, yes.
It's worse that HBO practically has full body shaving, I want to see that scalp shine as a requirement for adult actresses to get a part in these shows.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ramsay also includes his dogs in the wedding night festivities. HBO honestly turned down his icky dog fetish for the show.
So in the books, Ramsey kicks off his marriage with a four way including dogs and a eunuch?
Winterfell: Tijuana of the North.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Can we all agree everything in Dorne, and involving the Martells, is just outright boring?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Can we all agree everything in Dorne, and involving the Martells, is just outright boring?

Sand Vipers are the worst kind of wish fulfillment/diversity-hire bullshit

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Oberyn was cool :shrug:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Oberyn was cool :shrug:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Booblord Zagats posted:

Sand Vipers are the worst kind of wish fulfillment/diversity-hire bullshit

I was hoping they were going to run in looking hard, only to get blown out of the water by Bronn and Jamie like kids from a YMCA Karate class in a UFC Pay-per-View.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Same. What we got was a wet fart of a fight scene that reeked of something they whipped together in 20 minutes.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
lets face it, this season loving sucks

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The TV show is head and shoulders above where they're at in the books though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
We've been getting plotlines that are either total misfires right from the get go (the religious fanatics, Dorne) to ones that are rapidly declining (Sansa, Arya) while very promising ones are not getting the attention they deserve (Tommen).

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I've been enjoying it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

We've been getting plotlines that are either total misfires right from the get go (the religious fanatics, Dorne) to ones that are rapidly declining (Sansa, Arya) while very promising ones are not getting the attention they deserve (Tommen).

I'm trying to think of stuff we could be getting that would be more interesting than what we are getting.

I wouldn't mind seeing Arya get the Bran treatment for a season if it meant we'd get some Greyjoy stuff or even Davos sidequests w/ some (more) "The North Remembers" and Frey intrigue. The show was much better when people just talked and schemed and occasionally we'd get one big episode of action.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That bitch was supposed to get her ear cut off. Would have made it a little better.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

This Jaime and Bronn adventure seems like the type of poo poo the books specifically set out to undermine. Nobody would do that. I know it's adapted a bit and they did fail in their mission.. but it's just so underwhelming.

Jaime doing distasteful middle management poo poo in the Riverlands on behalf of the crown was pretty entertaining stuff, I thought. I'd like to have seen the siege of Riverrun, even if just for one episode.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The TV show is head and shoulders above where they're at in the books though.

That's really not saying much though. The only good part of books 4 and 5 was the secondhand description of how Bronn was in a jousting duel and lanced the other dude's horse.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh, even the Dany stuff isn't going well. GoT generally has a weak middle season run anyhow, so I'm hoping that everything will pick up to close out the season well.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hindsight 20/20 and all but Sansa's probably wishing she joined up with the toehead giantess right now.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Potential BFF posted:

Hindsight 20/20 and all but Sansa's probably wishing she joined up with the toehead giantess right now.

That's why she's lighting a candle next episode.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

TCD posted:

That's why she's lighting a candle next episode.

Probably should have lit that candle before she left to get hitched, eh?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
http://www.themarysue.com/we-will-no-longer-be-promoting-hbos-game-of-thrones/

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lmao. The Gawker Media blogs are going nuts over last nights episode too. Been a pretty funny day imo.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Ugh the patriarchy :jerkbag:

Edit: God damnit double post

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm gonna need a trigger warning next time an op-Ed piece is put up that contains the word "problematic."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

quote:

Rape, on the other hand, is expected.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I couldn't read anymore after that. :lol: at people getting actually mad at pretty much what everyone really knew would happen if they actually did get married. Was there ever any doubt that Sansa was not going to enjoy being a wife to Ramsey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

They would have tolerated it if it had been Tyrion

• Locked thread