Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Xoidanor posted:

I actually hadn't noticed this show lacks laugh-tracks until someone mentioned it last week. I'm not quite sure what that implies but it sure implies something.

It means you're laughing out loud. I'm actually convinced that laugh tracks were invented to give the writers less to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm betting Hooli buys Finalframe or whatever it's called for the algorithm.

Also, Gavin looking so loving smug when he made that lovely joke after he sat down was fantastic.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Hollismason posted:

Alternatively it could become a bidding war between Hooli and Pied Piper, with the End Frame guys profiting. Would be interesting to see how crazy Russ Hanneman could get.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

nooneofconsequence posted:

Opportunities:

Ejaculation

Threats:

Guilt (Dinesh only)

this is great.

I think my favorite one is: "People find out and on YouTube death video we get flamed in the comments section"

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

It means you're laughing out loud. I'm actually convinced that laugh tracks were invented to give the writers less to do.

Laugh tracks started because back in the day TV was usually filmed in front of an audience who actually laughed while watching the performance. As tv started to film more "on location" it was initially jarring for the viewers (especially for tv shows that mixed scenes that were filmed in front of an audience and not).
It reminds of of a comment I read about somebody complaining that Seinfeld felt dated because of its "laugh track"... the audience watching live just really enjoyed the show.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Hollismason posted:

Also, Gavin looking so loving smug when he made that lovely joke after he sat down was fantastic.

it was classic Gavin.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

There's also the fact there is no audience laugh track. I can't stand shows with that. I don't need to be told when a joke happens.

Laugh tracks are more like vicarious laughing than joke notifiers. When you come home from a 10+ hour workday you just wanna sit back and watch reruns of whatever, having the TV laugh for you as you sit there in silence.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Henchman of Santa posted:

My parents are 54 and love it. Get less lame parents.
I'm mortified by my father on pretty much a daily basis on Facebook, so yeah, I'm not the target market for sharing this with my parents. :(

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
The reason some shows without a laugh track are kind of jarring isn't just because you're used to a laugh track, it's also because nothing makes a joke seem like it failed harder than silence. Unless you are the kind of person and/or family that roars with laughter while you watch tv, every funny moment is going to feel like it flopped because it's met with basically silence.

Its really bad on shows that are more "jokey", where funny moments are punctuated with a punchline and the actors instinctively pause a little bit to let the audience laugh. I haven't watched Community since the first season, but I remember that's why I really didn't like that show. If it's just you sitting on your couch kind of quietly chuckling, or not laughing at all, the show is going to feel painful to watch. It isn't really an issue on shows like Silicon Valley that are telling a continuous story, because even if there isn't a single laugh in the entire episode, it still works as long as the story is compelling.

Plus laughter is infectious.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Community is not a pause for laughter show. There are many critiques to be levied against it, but it doesn't mug.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not a show for parents, no way.

This show is amazing in every way, but I'm not recommending it to anyone over 50.

My parents love Silicon Valley, but the fact that my mom worked in the tech industry is probably a big factor there. They recognize most of the character-types and their stupid bullshit firsthand.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

My parents are 54 and love it. Get less lame parents.

I got a laugh on how Kumail's immigrant parents liked the show until the famous mural scene.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
http://drinkhomicide.com

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The resolution in your imagination is infinite.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jake Armitage posted:

Plus laughter is infectious.
I actually saw four episodes of The It Crowd being filmed, and after having a comedian warm you up, you do in fact laugh exactly as it sounds on the TV. Coincidentally, Graham Linehan has done a pretty compelling argument for audience laughter in certain types of comedy shows in the past, but if you're interested then you'll have to find it yourself cause I'm on a phone.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Getting kind of sick of the constant Richard / Erlich and Dinesh / Gilfoyle pairings, as great as that B-plot was.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xoidanor posted:

I actually hadn't noticed this show lacks laugh-tracks until someone mentioned it last week. I'm not quite sure what that implies but it sure implies something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
This episode was loving perfect. It had me laughing, cringing, angry at EndFrame, and happy that Nucleus hosed up

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
EndFrame made me mad, way madder than I should be about imaginary IT companies with magic compression software.

I love it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

hom-i-ciiiiIIIde

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

You know, that Endframe brain rape actually annoyed me too, but as a fan of the show I loved it. I had thought that they didn't give those guys enough data or information to accurately reproduce Pied Piper's compression wizardry. Total blindside and made my heart sink, which is a complete rarity when I sit down to watch a loving comedy.

Also I have never felt more embarrassment or guilt for anyone than I did for Gilfoyle and Dinesh when Blaine noticed the SWOT board. Jesus titty loving Christ did I laugh the entire time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

AndyElusive posted:

Also I have never felt more embarrassment or guilt for anyone than I did for Gilfoyle and Dinesh when Blaine noticed the SWOT board. Jesus titty loving Christ did I laugh the entire time.

"...would you believe that was here before we got here?" :ohdear:

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ultramiraculous posted:

Also Veep weirdly made a colostomy bag joke tonight too.

And a brief mention of an unstable character having "night sweats".

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
"Have awesome 3-way with Gina and Blaine's hot (?) mom"

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

AndyElusive posted:

You know, that Endframe brain rape actually annoyed me too, but as a fan of the show I loved it.

I'm surprised that the brain rapers were able to bring reliable technology to market so quickly, especially since it would have been a half assed implementation based on some sketches on a whiteboard. Not to mention how they found out that Pied Piper was bidding on the Homicide project.

I know its supposed to be a comedy, and that this is a contrived plot and all, but it breaks the real life factor of this show. I know from personal experience that porting or reverse engineering tech takes a lot more time than being done in parallel to the original team. Not to mention that Ron La Flame should have been all over any deals done with VCs. And once they'd been brain raped, hes the first port of call that Pied Piper should have gone to. As much as I'd hate to say it, they are makers of their own misfortune.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

You know, that Endframe brain rape actually annoyed me too, but as a fan of the show I loved it. I had thought that they didn't give those guys enough data or information to accurately reproduce Pied Piper's compression wizardry. Total blindside and made my heart sink, which is a complete rarity when I sit down to watch a loving comedy.
At the start of the Episode, Nucleus faceplanted.

Hard.

They faceplanted so hard that if it wasn’t for Gavins relentless vendetta, you could almost write off Nucleus as a threat for the rest of the season. Now, we have a new antagonist while Gavin licks his wounds (and continues to promote BigBagHead.)

Smart money is on them being bought out by Hooli.

Also the whole heart sinking and feeling like a bastard for laughing thing is something rare in US comedy. Back home in Aus most of our best comedies have the really :wtf: pitch black moments that hit you like a loving freight train.

Hell, I described Breaking Bad as a comedy to my mates.

Now I’m not saying this show should wind up with Jared going postal at Hooli and strangling Gavin with an Ethernet cable while screaming "Mein name ist Donald" and stuff about SWOT/KPIs etc. in gratuitous German, but it’s nice to see baby steps.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 19, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Oh man, that episode crushed it.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

adrenaline_junket posted:

I know from personal experience that porting or reverse engineering tech takes a lot more time than being done in parallel to the original team.

MMMmmmm I dunno, not in my experience. I mean, I think people have this impression that 99% of building software is furiously hammering away at a keyboard, as if poo poo takes a long time because we just can't type fast enough. No, all that time is spent figuring out all the little bullshit issues that pop up.

If I know exactly how something works -- like I would if the team who spent the time solving the problems, iterating, perfecting, thinking, whiteboarding, all that other poo poo came in and laid it out for me exactly how everything works -- I can't imagine anything that couldn't be brought up really, really quick. Put me in a company that has enough money to potentially invest in or buy out another company, and I'll probably pretty quickly have the resources to get the whole operation up and running really quickly too. It certainly shouldn't take as long or longer than a couple guys working out of a house.

I guess it depends on what you are reverse engineering, but a video compression algorithm? Give me the algorithm and I'll implement it really drat fast.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 19, 2015

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

I'm surprised that the brain rapers were able to bring reliable technology to market so quickly, especially since it would have been a half assed implementation based on some sketches on a whiteboard. Not to mention how they found out that Pied Piper was bidding on the Homicide project.

Richard knocked out most of the work in one redbull-fueled night from scratch, surely a dev team who had the concept explained to them could work out a prototype in short order

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was amused that after everything, Homicide granted EndFrame credit on the player.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bull3964 posted:

I was amused that after everything, Homicide granted EndFrame credit on the player.

I think that was more because "Double-A" really wanted to stick it to Richard and Erlich that he was willing to give up some self-promotion just to gently caress them harder. And the funniest part of the episode was Erlich losing his poo poo at the end.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Jake Armitage posted:

MMMmmmm I dunno, not in my experience. I mean, I think people have this impression that 99% of building software is furiously hammering away at a keyboard, as if poo poo takes a long time because we just can't type fast enough. No, all that time is spent figuring out all the little bullshit issues that pop up.

If I know exactly how something works -- like I would if the team who spent the time solving the problems, iterating, perfecting, thinking, whiteboarding, all that other poo poo came in and laid it out for me exactly how everything works -- I can't imagine anything that couldn't be brought up really, really quick. Put me in a company that has enough money to potentially invest in or buy out another company, and I'll probably pretty quickly have the resources to get the whole operation up and running really quickly too. It certainly shouldn't take as long or longer than a couple guys working out of a house.

I guess it depends on what you are reverse engineering, but a video compression algorithm? Give me the algorithm and I'll implement it really drat fast.

Well I think the assumptions we're making is how detailed the implementation on the whiteboard was. If it was fairly high level, then by the time you chinese whisper all those requirements into the project from the VCs down to the coders, there is bound to be a flux of issues that come up.

Also, there has been dev time between Richard's redbull crack coding, and having something production ready to stream out content. Even if End Frame had the architecture explained to them, they would still need to program, test, deploy, and be confident that their hack tech would work.

I'm just going on my experience at work, where we've wanted to clone or port technology from other sources, and its taken time to understand the product, then to build it, and finally test it so that it's production ready.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Well I think the assumptions we're making is how detailed the implementation on the whiteboard was. If it was fairly high level, then by the time you chinese whisper all those requirements into the project from the VCs down to the coders, there is bound to be a flux of issues that come up.

Those weren't VCs, they were members of the competing firm. For all we know, EndFrame had something worked out for distribution, but got blindsided when Nucleus/Pied Piper started making noise all the sudden with a stronger algorithm. In general I try not to think too hard about this show.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EndFrame may also not have a bullet proof implementation, they may have just gotten lucky in this particular instance and was able to live stream that minute and a half clip without issue.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, getting something working for a one-off event like that is easier than building a flexible system that can be used by anyone.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Also, there has been dev time between Richard's redbull crack coding, and having something production ready to stream out content. Even if End Frame had the architecture explained to them, they would still need to program, test, deploy, and be confident that their hack tech would work.

I'm just going on my experience at work, where we've wanted to clone or port technology from other sources, and its taken time to understand the product, then to build it, and finally test it so that it's production ready.

The way Richard said it, it sounded like they gave them a very good explanation of how it worked.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know they need to build tension to keep the show interesting, but I feel like not enough good stuff is happening for these guys. It's getting to a depressing point. I already expect the season to end on a down note but I'm worried the trip there won't have a "happy" note.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kingtheninja posted:

I know they need to build tension to keep the show interesting, but I feel like not enough good stuff is happening for these guys. It's getting to a depressing point. I already expect the season to end on a down note but I'm worried the trip there won't have a "happy" note.

The happy note is that they are still moving forward at all despite all the setbacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I'm not a big BBT fan, but comedy is about beats and timing so yeah, artificially loving with the timing and beat is going to in turn gently caress up the comedy. I don't know what this video really demonstrates besides that.

• Locked thread