Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

nooneofconsequence posted:

With all the plot changes it is still nice to see the show keep the spirit of the books becoming boring and terrible.

I can't honestly tell which is worse, the useless faffing about in the books or the show writers taking "creative liberties" with that and making it even more boring, plus ruining a couple of character arcs completely.

Krinkle posted:

Book Littlefinger: "Clean hands, Sansa. Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean"

Show Littlefinger: "here you go, Roose, here's sansa stark. lets do treasons against the crown together." "hey cersei I heard sansa stark is in the north and roose bolton is doing treasons haha isn't that weird"

This is pants-on-head retarded. One of the few redeeming qualities of Littlefinger is her absolute and consuming love for first Catelyn and then her daughter Sansa. Yes, the love completely egoistic and he would kill, cheat and destroy anything or anyone for Sansa, but he would never put her in a situation where she would be seriously hurt. Are we supposed to believe that he just left her to be a rape toy for the creepiest guy north of the Moat Cailin? This is so out of character and illogical that I'm simply at a loss for words.

SaviourX posted:

Jamie stuff continues to be okay, surprisingly.

Yes, there's good chemistry between him and Bronn and the actors are good, but does he have any impact on the story? He has done gently caress-all this season, and his arc of redemption was actually quite interesting and foreshadowed some important changes both in the books and in the previous season. Another great opportunity wasted.

Arbite posted:

Close. Randyll Tarly (that dude does all the dirty work) arrived with his force and pledged that he would return her for a trial. The implication was that if the High Septon didn't, Randyll would just tell his already inside-the-city army "Save our queen! Purge these heretics!"

Couple that with the faith's strength having been already sent out of the city, and the High Sparrow was in no position to turn down this offer. Midge probably being innocent helped soothe his conscience.

I can't literally remember a single event that took place in the last two books, it seems. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hunky Joe posted:

Episode ten will be a close up of GRRM's bulbous rear end as he farts the theme song to the show. For an hour straight.

Then he wipes his rear end with a copy of Winds of Winter and the show is over.

Normal.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
All I want out of the show is Tyrion riding a pig

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Archer666 posted:

All I want out of the show is Dany making GBS threads so hard she's like an out of control fire hose whipping around and dashing her body against rocks, kicking up plants from their roots with the pressure of her brutal diarrhea

FTFY

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OhYeah posted:

This is pants-on-head retarded. One of the few redeeming qualities of Littlefinger is her absolute and consuming love for first Catelyn and then her daughter Sansa. Yes, the love completely egoistic and he would kill, cheat and destroy anything or anyone for Sansa, but he would never put her in a situation where she would be seriously hurt. Are we supposed to believe that he just left her to be a rape toy for the creepiest guy north of the Moat Cailin? This is so out of character and illogical that I'm simply at a loss for words.
How is the fact that he puts the lives of two women above almost all other things redeem him?

It's more a good example of Zizek's point that love is evil because saying yes to one person is saying no to all others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Episode ten will be Jon finally arriving by boat to the Wildlings, where Tormund magically reveals himself as the magically transformed Mance, and we won't see Jon stabbed for another season, rendering the "Kill the Boy" scene this season completely moot.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Cingulate posted:

How is the fact that he puts the lives of two women above almost all other things redeem him?

It's more a good example of Zizek's point that love is evil because saying yes to one person is saying no to all others.

I guess the word "redeem" is not correct. It makes him more human, someone we could possibly relate to, and not just a cold calculating bastard. My point still stands, he should've known what's coming and he would have never left Sansa with that freak. That's just lovely writing and contradicts the most important thing we know about his character.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The fact that he wants to gently caress a child as a proxy for the woman who snubbed him as a teen is the worst loving part of him it's how you know he's a bad guy.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bad episode.

The pillars of faces were pretty cool though. I was just imagining some heads on a shelf in a room.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
It's like he found a way to make it worse than just not finishing the series. The end is going to be delivered by a couple of incompetent TV hacks, who despite knowing whatever broad strokes he had in mind six years ago clearly aren't capable of holding this thing together. By the time the end rolls around not even the show watchers are going to care anymore.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Littlefinger's dumb plan makes even less sense now. Why on Earth would he tell Cersei that he found Sansa Stark? I just don't see the gain in that at all. For that matter, four episodes later I still cannot figure out why Sansa would have agreed to marry Ramsay period. Is she marrying him in an attempt to kill him...?

I'm surprised by the extent to which the show was willing to fully commit Sansa into the Jeyne Poole story, rape and all.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
To avoid controversy, GRRM has a no-comment post on his blog that's basically "they make the show, I make the books" right now.

Come on, GRRM. Say what we know you're thinking. Let the world know you have been out-Absolute-Fucker-ed.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

I'm thinking of ways they could make this even worse with the remaining four episodes.

Everything I can think of is just continuation of the existing storylines. Which is kind of sad if you think about it.

I really hope we don't get more of Jeyne Poole's rape stuff on Sansa, though. If I remember correctly there were plenty of :stonk: stuff going on.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
I am concerned that the show's going to kill off Bronn, now. He got nicked by a Sand snake's dagger and they made a big deal of showing it. I will be quite irritated if they do this. Killing Barristan was bad enough.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I don't think they will have Sansa gently caress the dog.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

kcroy posted:

never even thought of that. is that how you read books?

Perils of having a lit/media degree. But not always, sometimes really obvious or really clever things slip by (like R+L: for the longest time I was fixated on the blue rose instead of the obvious. or that hidden under Snow quote from a few pages ago). Symbolism and structuring are key things to a lot of fiction though, so when you're trained to see it, you pick it out of everything.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Or use Reek as a marital aid

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

savinhill posted:

Or use Reek as a marital aid

Yeah that already didn't happen, that was the wedding night iirc.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

No, the dog will gently caress her.

It's like poetry because SanSan.

(I do fear we'll get exposition in the next episode that reveals that is Ramsay raping Sansa on a nightly basis and that's she pretty much imprisoned in her bedroom, much like Jeyne Poole in ADWD. My guess at the rest of season: Sansa'll sneak out, meet with Theon a few times, break down his walls with Bran's supernatural help, and eventually they'll work together to escape during the battle with Chekhov's candle and Brienne.)

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I'm calling it right now: the controversial Sansa chapter from TWOW will be Sansa having consensual sex with Littlefinger.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I thought Sansa's actress performance was great, hard to care about the actual plot at the moment since it's basically fanfic. Just waiting for the story to reunite with the books if it ever does, then again it will be hard to tell since it will be in unknown territory (supposed that's intended, so they're not spoiling everything verbatum.)

OhYeah posted:

Yes, there's good chemistry between him and Bronn and the actors are good, but does he have any impact on the story? He has done gently caress-all this season, and his arc of redemption was actually quite interesting and foreshadowed some important changes both in the books and in the previous season. Another great opportunity wasted.

Let's assume Jamie is executed by Lady Stoneheart at some point in the next book, early on especially, that could happen here. Completely wild guess. Whatever happens to Jaime in his next plot thread in the (theoretic next) book, here will happen to him as a result of this journey.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 18, 2015

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

They won't, but only because I'm pretty sure it would be illegal/get censored and cost HBO a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if "Miranda" (Royce?!?!?!) gets "boring" and Sansa gets to go on one of Ramsay's hunts, that was some pretty hamfisted foreshadowing.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I hope they not only melt Sansa together with Jeyne Poole, but also that Karstark girl that marries a wildling. Because why the gently caress not at this point. Then Sansa can marry a wildling who will love her red hair and Sansa can sort of legitimize the new inhabitants of the North. The Sansa / Littlefinger plot makes no sense in the tv-show. But Aryas part was awesome. Dorne is as much bullshit as in the books, so good job I guess.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

HELLO LADIES posted:

They won't, but only because I'm pretty sure it would be illegal/get censored and cost HBO a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if "Miranda" (Royce?!?!?!) gets "boring" and Sansa gets to go on one of Ramsay's hunts, that was some pretty hamfisted foreshadowing.

That is actually an interesting thought. Remember Ramsey did say he hates jealousy cause it is boring an that lady is all but green eyed over Sansa...

I can definitely see Ramsey having a "hunting accident" courtesy of Sansa or Theon. Theon was rather good with a bow...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hunky Joe posted:

That is actually an interesting thought. Remember Ramsey did say he hates jealousy cause it is boring an that lady is all but green eyed over Sansa...

I can definitely see Ramsey having a "hunting accident" courtesy of Sansa or Theon. Theon was rather good with a bow...

bows kinda need fingers though - not that it matters with tv logic but I can't imagine him retaining that

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Let's assume Jamie is executed by Lady Stoneheart at some point in the next book, early on especially, that could happen here. Completely wild guess. Whatever happens to Jaime in his next plot thread in the (theoretic next) book, here will happen to him as a result of this journey.

Huh, this kinda brought home how different some things are now. At this point in the books, we're not far from Brienne bringing Jaime to a zombie Catelyn Stark. In the show, Jaime is gallivanting with Bronn in Dorne and Brienne is in the North plotting to save Sansa from the Boltons and kill Stannis. :psyduck:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Tommen you little puss.

Should have gone medieval on those sparrow fuckers for your queen.

Enjoy the golden shroud.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

bows kinda need fingers though - not that it matters with tv logic but I can't imagine him retaining that

That's true. Still, it would have been cool to see Theon save Sansa the same way he saved Bran in season 1.

Ah but I am a dreamer of actually good plot...sigh.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hunky Joe posted:

That's true. Still, it would have been cool to see Theon save Sansa the same way he saved Bran in season 1.

Ah but I am a dreamer of actually good plot...sigh.

So he murders some children and burns the corpses?

The essential thing about A Game of Thrones is that innocents suffer for the petty idiocy of nobles.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Fhate posted:

I am concerned that the show's going to kill off Bronn, now. He got nicked by a Sand snake's dagger and they made a big deal of showing it. I will be quite irritated if they do this. Killing Barristan was bad enough.

They give him the antidote because one of the sand snakes has a crush on him, according to an incredibly badly written script leak.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Show-Tyrion will take book-Barristan's role in Mereen while Dany is fertilizing the Dothraki Sea.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
Obligatory "I'm better than the show writers" GRRMy blog post.

The Absolute Fucker posted:

David and Dan and Bryan and HBO are trying to make the best television series that they can.

And over here I am trying to write the best novels that I can.

:cawg:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

syscall girl posted:

So he murders some children and burns the corpses?

The essential thing about A Game of Thrones is that innocents suffer for the petty idiocy of nobles.
That was in season 2, in season 1 he and Robb saved Bran from Osha and a couple other Wildlings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Urdnot Fire posted:

That was in season 2, in season 1 he and Robb saved Bran from Osha and a couple other Wildlings.

I still love that Asha was too close to Osha so they changed it to Yara so it wouldn't confuse show watchers. Both characters have had maybe 10 total minutes of screen time in the last 3 seasons. Not to mention Yara could be confused with Arya. The show writers are terrible and I can't wait for next season when it's all made up by them.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

You only really need 3 fingers or so to shoot a bow. Most archers already don't use their pinky at all when drawing the string, and you don't really need much grip on the bow itself when drawing, either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was even the loving point of Asha/Yara's one scene last season anyways? The season 3 finale made a huge deal out of her going on the mission and then her entire screentime is about five minutes and changes nothing.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They were trying to cement the fact that Theon is so broken, that even his sister miraculously showing up to rescue him can't release him from Ramsey's control.

It was horribly done though, as we all saw.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

He still has all his fingers in the show. They didn't even cover his hands with gloves to fake it. I noticed it during the wedding and it made my brain sad.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TK-42-1 posted:

He still has all his fingers in the show. They didn't even cover his hands with gloves to fake it. I noticed it during the wedding and it made my brain sad.

D&D were worried people would confuse him with the Onion Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To go back to the littlefinger poo poo, I actually like his plan on the show. Its more conniving and a little more realistic then his cartoony "I loved your mom so I love you I guess" poo poo.

Plus its actually a really really good plan. Where his book plan is kind of dumb.